ADVERTISEMENT

The MSG effect on RU brand

ScarletKid2008

All American
Sep 8, 2006
Bergen County, NJ
It is now becoming obvious that playing games at MSG and having our fans show up is creating a national brand for RU.

The big ten network STILL talks about the little run Rutgers made in the garden during the big ten tournament. And how our fans turned up for that.

NOW you have every single news outlet undeniably admitting that Rutgers takes over NYC on Sat against a national brand of MSU.

Those early season tournaments will remember this showing. And I believe we’ll be rewarded for it.

The big ten will remember that RU delivers the nyc market as they had always hoped.

Most importantly- the Rutgers program and fanbase is earning itself a national reputation. And playing a game at MSG just got many more eyeballs on the product that so many have already seen.

Great outcome. Find a way to play at MSG once a year. Neutral court of course.

It is now becoming obvious that playing games at MSG and having our fans show up is creating a national brand for RU.

The big ten network STILL talks about the little run Rutgers made in the garden during the big ten tournament. And how our fans turned up for that.

NOW you have every single news outlet undeniably admitting that Rutgers takes over NYC on Sat against a national brand of MSU.

Those early season tournaments will remember this showing. And I believe we’ll be rewarded for it.

The big ten will remember that RU delivers the nyc market as they had always hoped.

Most importantly- the Rutgers program and fanbase is earning itself a national reputation. And playing a game at MSG just got many more eyeballs on the product that so many have already seen.

Were not playing in those early season tourneys at msg because they dont want us. They want us weve just never been willing to accept their invite. Hopefully we change our stance on that

Well said

Were not playing in those early season tourneys at msg because they dont want us. They want us weve just never been willing to accept their invite. Hopefully we change our stance on that
@bac2therac are you implying youd rather play rider and central connecticut st at the rac than have 2 games at msg early season out of conference? If so, why?

Reactions: S_Janowski
Reminds of a conversation with a girl I met back in 2009ish. She moved to New York from somewhere in the Midwest and she said for New Yorkers you cheer for Rutgers in football and and St. John’s for basketball. Made sense we used to be decent post 2006 for a little while. Now I say we’re a basketball school and if you asked someone now you’d probably get a different answer.

Reminds of a conversation with a girl I met back in 2009ish. She moved to New York from somewhere in the Midwest and she said for New Yorkers you cheer for Rutgers in football and and St. John’s for basketball. Made sense we used to be decent post 2006 for a little while. Now I say we’re a basketball school and if you asked someone now you’d probably get a different answer
Ya neither RU in Football or SJ in b-ball have played at a high enough level since then to keep the attention of the city/metro area.

Mike Francesca was just talking about SJ being a non entity in a recent podcast, and how that bothered the school. Assuming that is true, I'm sure they hate seeing the B1G go into MSG, led by RU, and drawing positive attention.

@bac2therac are you implying youd rather play rider and central connecticut st at the rac than have 2 games at msg early season out of conference? If so, why?

Wtf are you talking about

Learn to ****ing read ive always been fine with non conference games at msg

Conference games absolutely no

Wtf are you talking about

Learn to ****ing read ive always been fine with non conference games at msg

Conference games absolutely no

Your posts the past few days would suggest you would take the RAC over MSG for all games.

Almost all in favor of playing at MSG on this board are only in favor of its neutral site (conference or OOC)…..but you’ve been poo-pooing playing at MSG in thread after thread so it’s hard to tell what you’re in favor of.

Reminds of a conversation with a girl I met back in 2009ish. She moved to New York from somewhere in the Midwest and she said for New Yorkers you cheer for Rutgers in football and and St. John’s for basketball. Made sense we used to be decent post 2006 for a little while. Now I say we’re a basketball school and if you asked someone now you’d probably get a different answer.
So New York now cheers for Rutgers in basketball and St. John’s in football? Wait, what? 😅

Your posts the past few days would suggest you would take the RAC over MSG for all games.

Almost all in favor of playing at MSG on this board are only in favor of its neutral site (conference or OOC)…..but you’ve been poo-pooing playing at MSG in thread after thread so it’s hard to tell what you’re in favor of.

Ive been screaming for years to upgrade our weak OOC schedule which would include a game vs power conference school...ie not Stony Brook

I dont want conference games there

Ive been pretty clear on this totally

Meanwhile i keep seeing posts saying yeah a conference game every year should happen

Only OOC! We cannot trust the big ten to not screw this up again. Only OOC at MSG (neutral site)!

Last edited:
Ive been screaming for years to upgrade our weak OOC schedule which would include a game vs power conference school...ie not Stony Brook

Meanwhile i keep seeing posts saying yeah a conference game every year should happen

Nothing wrong with a conference game there once a year as long as it’s NOT a home game…which what basically everyone is saying.

And if you’re okay with a big OOC game at MSG I think you’re more aligned with everyone than you think.

Ya neither RU in Football or SJ in b-ball have played at a high enough level since then to keep the attention of the city/metro area.

Mike Francesca was just talking about SJ being a non entity in a recent podcast, and how that bothered the school. Assuming that is true, I'm sure they hate seeing the B1G go into MSG, led by RU, and drawing positive attention.
Who cares what Francesca or St John’s says or thinks

Let me ask this question another way. If the Big 10 is intent on playing conference games at the Garden every year, would you have us opt out and let other teams take our place? That seems crazy to me. We should want to own any games played at MSG.

THIS!

Let me ask this question another way. If the Big 10 is intent on playing conference games at the Garden every year, would you have us opt out and let other teams take our place? That seems crazy to me. We should want to own any games played at MSG.
No we should want to be there once every year. It should alternate as an away game next year.

Both sides are pratically talking past each other at this point and seeing it through their own lenses as the other taking a more extreme position when in fact, to the extent there are opposing factions on this issue, they are closer to the middle and potentially in relative alignment on the topic than they realize.

Oy vey, such is communication on a message board and even in person these days.

Reactions: Arizona Knight
Yes. We shouldnt be giving up home games in conference play to play at msg.

Reactions: Scarlet83

Lol..because they will always select our biggest games

They arent moving Minnesota or Northwestern there

There was a MSU band there playing over our band. There were MSU cheerleaders on the court

Reactions: Scarlet83
Lol..because they will always select our biggest games

They arent moving Minnesota or Northwestern there

There was a MSU band there playing over our band. There were MSU cheerleaders on the court
So if Michigan or Ohio State raise their hand and say we would love to play there every year, it will be great for our brand and great for recruiting, you think Rutgers should just stand by and let that happen?

An OOC game in the Garden in December against one of our old BE rivals would be ideal. Playing a Nova, Cuse or Yukon would generate a lot of interest and help the SOS.

If we play at least one non-conference or conference game at the MSG every year that would not only raise our stature nationally but would be a tremendous selling factor in recruiting (and I cannot help but believe there are some financial benefits as long as Rutgers Nation shows up in mass).

Lol thats not happening..michigan did it once doubt they volunteer again
I think you have the same problem a lot of people do, you think conference titles mean something. They don’t. All the big time programs, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc, don’t care at all about conference championships, the care about one thing, getting ready for March Madness. When people talk about Tom Izzo, no one mentions how many Big 10 championships or Big 10 Tournaments he has won. He resume is one line, Tom Izzo has won a National Championship. Playing at MSG will do more to get our team ready to play in a big time environment than 1000 home games. As you saw yesterday, both teams played with jitters early in the game and couldn’t hit the side of barn. If you can step onto the court at an 18,000 seat arena for a big time event ready to play, you will have a huge advantage in March.

That same thing could have been accomplished without playing a late season conference game

Reactions: bac2therac
The didn't want us before - they will want us now

Yesterday has to be the most impressive turnout of one group of fans (including St Johns) in recent memory at MSG - it wont be the last visit

Why not just play SHU at MSG every year?

Interesting.

One factor of course will be money (would the schools lose too much $$ if not played at their respective home courts).

But I like it. I like it a lot. The perfect OCC game at MSG for both programs - kinda an f’ u to both at John’s and ‘Cuse particularly if it’s a big success (eg shu and RU replacing them as “NYCs college teams”). Thus I like it even more

Aside from the revenue question the other thing would be that the “battle for NJ” would be played in NY. That alone could make it not happen

Lastly wonder if shu wouldn’t go for it - we just have a much bigger fan base and if we continue to ascend we will just take the place over every time

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT