ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL RUTGERS-ILLINOIS PREDICTION THREAD

I agree. Keeping up with 2023 RU sports tradition, we keep it close but just don't have enough offense to pull off the win.

will be a game we really miss Caleb. Shannon might eat up Hyatt.
Agreed. I was really hoping Mag made his return against a cupcake prior to this game. Even if he played 10-15 min on Shannon it would make a difference.

We really don't have a good wing defender without Mag. It's seemingly Hyatt or Griffiths size wise with the matchup. The other guards are tiny. Maybe Williams but he still gives up some size there and not sure he can handle Shannon anyway. Oskar, no. Wolf interesting... he does move ans guard the perimeter very well for his size but that's a foul waiting to happen and likely creates a mismatch elsewhere

These athletic wing type players are a mismatch for RU with Caleb gone and no Mag back yet

Rutgers 60
Illinois 56

The RAC with an assist in Illinois' first road game of the season.

Reactions: Scangg
I think it'll be an interesting test. While our offense has been playing more uptempo, our defense continues to grind out possessions taking nearly all of the shotclock, which makes the final score look deceiving as to how fast we play. Illinois is a truly uptempo team and I am not sure how we adjust to playing against another team who also wants to play fast. I think we fall behind early and claw our way back into it, but ultimately cant find the offense down the stretch to overcome the early deficit, and use it as a learning experience for the two road games next week...

Illinois 72
Rutgers 69

This game pits the two best defenses in the Big Ten through the first month of the season. Rutgers is #1 at ppg defense (55.5) and Illinois is #2 (58.7). But Illinois has the 6th best offense (77.8) while Rutgers is dead last (70.5). I think this will be a low scoring affair, played in the 60s, and I just don't think our team is ready to beat a top 25 Illinois team without the defense, toughness, rebounding, and finishing ability of Mawot Mag; and before Gavin Griffiths has truly gotten his Sea Legs.

Illinois 65
Rutgers 58

8,284 at the RAC.

I was hoping to see Mag get his feet wet against St. Peters. Without a healthy Mag, I have concerns about giving up 2nd chance points. We have to box out.
It hasn't happened yet this season, but a fast start that gets the RAC lathered up could go a long way.

Illinois has Florida Atlantic and then Tennessee after us so even though it's their first conference game maybe they'll overlook it a tad.

I'm wondering if their seven full days off before Saturday will make them come out flat/rusty like we did against St Peter's.

Reactions: Scangg
Rutgers better win this game because the next two games are on the road and Rutgers lacks a Baker/Harper go to scorer.Rutgers also needs to break consecutive RAC losses against B1G Ten opponents at the end of the season.

Rutgers 63 Illinois 61.

I don't think we are better than Illinois, but i do think they aren't too high of an IQ team and have rattled them in the past at the RAC. I think we pull off the upset 66-62

I'm wondering if their seven full days off before Saturday will make them come out flat/rusty like we did against St Peter's.
Illinois board saying they have struggled with slow starts this season. So have we. Let's hope they do come out slow and rusty. A fast start would juice up the RAC for the rest of the game. Fans are itching for a big game. Set the tone!

Reactions: Bayonnebomber79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT