ADVERTISEMENT

The Practice Bubble

having played / practiced 3 seasons in the bubble... the worst part, is the jog from Hale Center locker rooms to the bubble. Inside it is very serviceable still. I don't see any immediate need for a new field house to be built yet. Let's get a winning football season again, and then re-visit.

I agree!!!

Had the Bubble been attached to the Hale Center, it would have been much better.
Having to go back outside from the Bubble to the locker rooms is it’s biggest negative. What Greg has in mind and what will get built is what every other school in The B1G has. A football only facility with all the facilities needed connected directly to a field house so that it is seamless and no need to go outside to go to the field house or the locker rooms. I do disagree that we can wait. It must be built as soon as possible.

having played / practiced 3 seasons in the bubble... the worst part, is the jog from Hale Center locker rooms to the bubble. Inside it is very serviceable still. I don't see any immediate need for a new field house to be built yet. Let's get a winning football season again, and then re-visit.

A new field house is needed to effectively recruit, which is tough when you have the worst facilities in the Big Ten. It will be built once we raise $75M, privately.

Man its not what the big ten standard are... not saying that its not useful but it has to be better than this old 70s thing .

I practiced in the first bubble in the 70's. This is the third, not to be confused with The Sieve's Hugh Jass Bubble. We will build #4 in this next decade.

Beat Monmouth.

Oh, and thanks, God, for bringing us Greg Schiano, the B1G and @rutgersal for these Christmases.

Man its not what the big ten standard are and to be honest it can be better than this , this picture doesn’t show the flaws , not saying that its not useful but it has to be better than this old 70s thing .
Has a point. Have no problem with the bubble but if Rutgers wants to compete in the Big 10, they have to spend to the money on facilities.

Bubble - fine for now
Field House - we know it’s coming

Chillax....

Do like the idea of it being built over the Brown Lot with it being connected to the Hale Center and still parking underneath.

Don’t mind if the Bubble sticks around for as long as its lifespan allows for use by other sports.

In the meantime we do need to get a big Block :Rutgers back up there (on both sides) like we used to have in earlier versions.

Last edited:
I think they should move the tennis courts either over by the RAC or by the Werblin Center.
As E5 said above, build the field house connected to the Hale Center but still keep some parts of the Brown lot for coach and athlete parking.

Reactions: thegock
I think they should move the tennis courts either over by the RAC or by the Werblin Center.
As E5 said above, build the field house connected to the Hale Center but still keep some parts of the Brown lot for coach and athlete parking.
Put all parking underneath and this way you make the footprint that much larger. And if you’re telling the swells in the Brown Lot they are now getting indoor parking...that’s a selling point you can charge more $$$.

Build the new facility where the Hale Center parking lot is with a two level parking deck underneath. Connect the Hale Center to the facility with a walkway.

I do hope they keep the bubble for other sports. No reason to tear down a functioning building.

And yea the brown lot is the most likely place for the field house. Assume the tennis courts will be lost but shouldn’t be too expensive to replace them. The question is what happens with the Hale center because my understanding is that we are building a completely new football only center since the Hale center isn’t good enough.

I agree!!!

Had the Bubble been attached to the Hale Center, it would have been much better.
Having to go back outside from the Bubble to the locker rooms is it’s biggest negative. What Greg has in mind and what will get built is what every other school in The B1G has. A football only facility with all the facilities needed connected directly to a field house so that it is seamless and no need to go outside to go to the field house or the locker rooms. I do disagree that we can wait. It must be built as soon as possible.

Secret underground tunnel between Bubble and Hale?

Offer Tesla the chance to build a small scale Hyperloop?

Maybe those who think the bubble is not that great should visit Syracuse's dome. Now that's a sh*t hole!

bubbles-bubbles.jpg

Build it where the tennis courts are now, with a connected hallway from inside the Hale Center to it. Then build a new tennis facility where the bubble is now. For the period of construction they can play all of their matches indoors in East Brunswick like they do for roughly half of them now

If the plan is to have a football only facility the Hale center along with new weight room will be utilized by others and the new facility will be all encompassing. Gov Murphy may be creative and provide a tax credit like what was given to RWJ Performance Center that incorporated a parking deck for a tax credit. Any building (offices or field house) on top of a equivalent size area that is current in place would be cost prohibited and if concerned about losing parking, RU could build a parking deck somewhere on Busch on an existing parking lot that could be used by faculty and students during the week and football on weekend. The red lot could be used during the week and folks just walk to the facility, just like the Bubble/Hale center now. i still think even at NJ prices a football only field house/practice facility will not be 150MM.

If the plan is to have a football only facility the Hale center along with new weight room will be utilized by others and the new facility will be all encompassing. Gov Murphy may be creative and provide a tax credit like what was given to RWJ Performance Center that incorporated a parking deck for a tax credit. Any building (offices or field house) on top of a equivalent size area that is current in place would be cost prohibited and if concerned about losing parking, RU could build a parking deck somewhere on Busch on an existing parking lot that could be used by faculty and students during the week and football on weekend. The red lot could be used during the week and folks just walk to the facility, just like the Bubble/Hale center now. i still think even at NJ prices a football only field house/practice facility will not be 150MM.

good concept.

The bubble needs to stay. It is multi-sport functional. The (men's/women's) lacrosse, soccer, track, women's field hockey teams use the facility during the winter and early spring months. I think baseball & softball have even used the bubble in the past for fielding practice. eventually when the football indoor field house is built, only football will use that facility. the bubble should stay up for all the other olympic sports to use. it serves a purpose, it doesnt need to get taken down.

The bubble needs to stay. It is multi-sport functional. The (men's/women's) lacrosse, soccer, track, women's field hockey teams use the facility during the winter and early spring months. I think baseball & softball have even used the bubble in the past for fielding practice. eventually when the football indoor field house is built, only football will use that facility. the bubble should stay up for all the other olympic sports to use. it serves a purpose, it doesnt need to get taken down.

Agree especially with the Rodkin Center moving some sports to that facility. drove by this facility in Hillsborough and looks impressive becasue its next to a county park.

. pretty large cash outlay to finance this facility.

https://apexsportsevents.com/about/

The bubble was a pretty good training facility for track back in the day ... oversized track (300+ yards) ... we shared practice with baseball, softball ... even the New York Giants before a playoff game!

Reactions: BLewis1968
The bubble was a pretty good training facility for track back in the day ... oversized track (300+ yards) ... we shared practice with baseball, softball ... even the New York Giants before a playoff game!
The oversized track was nice for poor turn runners like myself!

Bubble is fine and will be an important part of the training for sport that are not football. It is quite simple that with the location of the Rodkin center and the placement of the new Soccer and Lacrosse practice fields it makes sense to give them the bubble and I know that the they would love to not have to be at the whim of the football team as to when they can get into the indoor facility.

No doubt that there is a constant and ongoing "keeping up with the Jones" in the BIG for not just football but all athletic teams/facilities.

Football;
Rutgers Stadium (or whatever somebody with 200-400 M wants to all it) needs to be expanded. A football only facility with offices/indoor field/training/S & C/dining & nutrition and anything else you need to keep up.
Problem with the indoor/inclement weather fields. Some HC's don't like to use them.....go figure....

Hoops; The RAC needs to either be demo'ed or expanded to seat at least 15,000. I understand the multi-sport complex under construction has practice floors, both sexes ?

Some Professor in Urban Planning or some such title needs to get over there with his class and some measuring tape and come up with a 10 year comprehensive plan for all RU sports in that general area.

Funny I don’t believe you
You may not believe him, but what he says is true. It is very functional, in fact, it gives far more room than most of these indoor practice facilities people are touting. And, yes, I have been in it a number of times too. Now the drawbacks are that it is a pain in the ass to get into, as you're practically going through an airlock as the bubble is under pressure. Also, because it is an inflated structure, the lighting sucks. Although I think proper engineering combined with new LED technology could dramatically improve that. And it is occasionally at the mercy of the weather during a bad snowstorm. Lastly, it doesn't have a big Block R on both sides of it, which means the whole thing should just be torn down.

Football;
Rutgers Stadium (or whatever somebody with 200-400 M wants to all it) needs to be expanded.
I'll be very curious where Schiano goes with this now that he's back in charge. His original plan had us eventually maxing out at 80-85K seating capacity. Obviously done in stages as the need arose. Originally we were on track to revamp the press box and add in luxury boxes when the whole mortgage mess tanked the markets. Right now our press box is an antique and an embarrassment compared to all of our peers. Combine that with putting in luxury boxes, and with the market strong and renewed interest in the program, the luxury boxes will pay for themselves.

The Carrier Dome was constructed on the footprint of Archbold. I and Mad Dog were there for the last game with people taking "items" that they wanted, I have a section of the green wooden temp seats with my ticket stub. (we that went to summer school used to get paid to take down and put up the wooden stands that were on top of the cinder 1/4 mile track.
Syracuse played an all away schedule the next year while the Dome was constructed. Carrier Corp paid for the 'naming" rights, although it's NOT air conditioned. We were there for the opening game.
The State of NY authorized bonds to be issued to pay for the construction after the naming rights. That is why since the opening you have been able to purchase alcoholic beverages/beer since it opened.

Before the Dome, we practiced at Manley Field House (about 2miles from campus.), practice fields. The locker rooms and football offices were all in the Field House. There was no organized Strength & Conditioning in those days, and almost nobody lifted any weights. (A couple of us did lots of curls to get "ready" to go to Florida during spring break.)
IF the practice fields got frozen or covered with snow we would practice inside Manley on the packed down oiled dirt behind the hoops court and temporary stands. The oiled dirt would turn to dust that covered everything and many would wind up coughing like you had black lung disease.
Practicing out doors we were issued full body wool long johns on Monday, with the rear button flaps for going # 2 if necessary. You would tape up all the holes on your helmet, including the ear holes. Put on one pair of practice socks, then tape a plastic ice bag onto each foot, then another pair of socks and then your practice cletes.
Welcome to Syracuse...

You may not believe him, but what he says is true. It is very functional, in fact, it gives far more room than most of these indoor practice facilities people are touting. And, yes, I have been in it a number of times too. Now the drawbacks are that it is a pain in the ass to get into, as you're practically going through an airlock as the bubble is under pressure. Also, because it is an inflated structure, the lighting sucks. Although I think proper engineering combined with new LED technology could dramatically improve that. And it is occasionally at the mercy of the weather during a bad snowstorm. Lastly, it doesn't have a big Block R on both sides of it, which means the whole thing should just be torn down.
Maybe the players are better off practicing under pressure?

I'll be very curious where Schiano goes with this now that he's back in charge. His original plan had us eventually maxing out at 80-85K seating capacity. Obviously done in stages as the need arose. Originally we were on track to revamp the press box and add in luxury boxes when the whole mortgage mess tanked the markets. Right now our press box is an antique and an embarrassment compared to all of our peers. Combine that with putting in luxury boxes, and with the market strong and renewed interest in the program, the luxury boxes will pay for themselves.
I recall on a recent interview that Greg said the stadium size is fine.

Reactions: soundcrib
i don't see a stadium increase being planned for at least 5 years. Season tickets would have to be consistently 40K for it to make sense.

In terms of stadium expansion ...that will be at a minimum 7-10 years...If Schiano succeeds in making us a middle pack B1G team within 3-4 years that moves the timeline up ...53 k to perhaps 65 k is a reasonable seating capacity until we consistently reach 95 % season ticket sales...what needs to happen to the stadium is an upgrade to the brick n mortar ... luxury boxes ... press box upgrades as has been stated previously . Then the structure itself regarding seating increases should take place. Yes within 10 years we should be able to be at a level comparable to most in conference opponents.

Just needs a few tweaks we have all talked about and that’s it.

There will be no big house or erector set on the Banks. It will get nicer, not bigger.

In terms of stadium expansion ...that will be at a minimum 7-10 years...If Schiano succeeds in making us a middle pack B1G team within 3-4 years that moves the timeline up ...53 k to perhaps 65 k is a reasonable seating capacity until we consistently reach 95 % season ticket sales...what needs to happen to the stadium is an upgrade to the brick n mortar ... luxury boxes ... press box upgrades as has been stated previously . Then the structure itself regarding seating increases should take place. Yes within 10 years we should be able to be at a level comparable to most in conference opponents.
Turning the press boxes into luxury suites may be a low hanging piece of fruit. If it makes sense go ahead and do it now.

Other than that I don't know that we need to expand.

Should be a great idea but of course who knows what's going to happen. BTW, any official word on what's going to actually happen to the bubble once the football facility is operating?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT