ADVERTISEMENT

The Yard @ College Avenue Restaurants Announced

Steve,is Rutgers building a new dorm or is it a private project? Any date set for construction and completion? 500 is pretty good size.

The student housing project near Rockoff really surprises me. I am not sure that will go well. They want to charge 1-2k a bed and it's not in a great area. The reason Rutgers sold Rockoff to a private company was due to crime issues.

The student housing project near Rockoff really surprises me. I am not sure that will go well. They want to charge 1-2k a bed and it's not in a great area. The reason Rutgers sold Rockoff to a private company was due to crime issues.

I was surprised to read it as well but looking at the location it's right behind the Heldrich and near the Bloustein building. Plus add the new arts complex with high end housing and that area will be much different. I haven't heard much about Rockoff but it's primarily Rutgers students still correct?

I was surprised to read it as well but looking at the location it's right behind the Heldrich and near the Bloustein building. Plus add the new arts complex with high end housing and that area will be much different. I haven't heard much about Rockoff but it's primarily Rutgers students still correct?

I think some floors are for anyone and some are for students but Rutgers doesn't own that building anymore. That's why I am scratching my head at the new student housing building on New Street that was approved. Better than some boarded up houses that currently sit there though.

I think some floors are for anyone and some are for students but Rutgers doesn't own that building anymore. That's why I am scratching my head at the new student housing building on New Street that was approved. Better than some boarded up houses that currently sit there though.

The new building will privately owned as well and sounds like they will target students but have a mix of residents. I suspect they feel they will get a decent number of grad students and young professionals/recent grads to make it work. Admittedly I haven't been downtown in that area much in recent years so my knowledge is from my occasional visits and following development projects in press/online.

The new building will privately owned as well and sounds like they will target students but have a mix of residents. I suspect they feel they will get a decent number of grad students and young professionals/recent grads to make it work. Admittedly I haven't been downtown in that area much in recent years so my knowledge is from my occasional visits and following development projects in press/online.
IMHO, they're adding to the critical mass, hoping to spur further development along george with the quincy on new & neilson and the new theater/condos going up less than a block away, you should have a decent consumer base to attract good, foot traffic generating tenants, etc

Where did NJ books move?

NJ Books was only viable as long as Follett was mismanaging the bookstore. As soon as B&N came in, they were done. I feel bad for them in that they put all of that effort into moving. Signing up with Follett is right up there in the most insane moves in Rutgers history. And I am very thankful that anyone who's graduated in the past few years will have no idea what I'm talking about.

I never liked Bella's, unfortunately retail in NB has seemed to be in middling shape recently after coming out of the recession strong. Adding more residents will help.

It's been a few years, but what I remember with the Rockoff deal was it gave the school cash to do some other things. I remember when that opened, and the first year or two it was a joke with broken fixtures and outlets and such, but they quickly got their act together.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Bumping this thread up with the news that Bella’s Burgers closed (and the constant closing/reopening of Starbucks). I'm not surprised about Bella's, as the food at The Yard was bad compared to the Basking Ridge location, which was good but nowhere near as good as Shake Shack and I wouldn't seek it out if I had a burger craving.

What is the issue with Starbucks. Why do they close ?

The reason Rutgers sold Rockoff to a private company was due to crime issues.

I don't doubt crime related issues, but I thought I remember reading way back when the deal with Devco for Rockoff Hall was made that it was a ground lease and the intention was for Rutgers to operate it for up to a certain number of years and make payments to Devco from the housing fees and then there would be an option for it to go back to Devco, or I suppose as did happen, it could get sold to a private company.

I may be remembering it wrong though. Maybe @Cofifa can share what was the basic structure of the Rockoff deal with Rutgers.

Starbucks is not a franchised company, so it has to be something else

The Starbucks located at The Yard @ College Avenue is set to reopen at the start of 2018, after closing this past semester.

“We are happy to confirm we are in the early stages of reopening the Starbucks at The Yard @ College Avenue on the Rutgers—New Brunswick campus in Winter 2018," a Starbucks spokesperson said in an email.

The spokesperson said that the location was previously licensed and operated in partnership with a third party, but will now be operated directly by Starbucks.

http://www.dailytargum.com/article/2017/12/starbucks-slated-to-reopen-at-the-yard-in-2018

I could see perhaps needing a coffee fix, but needing Starbucks is silly....the coffee isn't even that good, and at the prices they charge....ridiculous. Back in the day, I used to remember seeing the lines at the newly opened au bon pain on College Avenue and would laugh. I still do that these days when I see long lines of cars at Starbucks drive throughs.

I could see perhaps needing a coffee fix, but needing Starbucks is silly....the coffee isn't even that good, and at the prices they charge....ridiculous. Back in the day, I used to remember seeing the lines at the newly opened au bon pain on College Avenue and would laugh. I still do that these days when I see long lines of cars at Starbucks drive throughs.

As a consumer, I agree with you and never go there myself, and at Rutgers, Hidden Gounds coffee shop is nearby, which is great ! However, Starbucks is one of the most successful and popular companies and chains in the world. Presence of a successful Starbucks at Rutgers is a big plus, and I hope it stays open this time.

Last edited:
There will be a new one called Union Place and everybody will love it. Especially the name.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Wawa missed out on a great opportunity here. I think I remember @Cofifa saying Wawa wasn't interested when they were approached.

They've changed their strategy immensely the past couple years and are now opening these new super stores all throughout center city Philly with casual seating (including one on Penn/Drexels campus) and even one down in D.C.

Their focus has shifted from the suburban gas/retail stores into these new stores in urban/gentrified areas.

Wawa missed out on a great opportunity here. I think I remember @Cofifa saying Wawa wasn't interested when they were approached.

They've changed their strategy immensely the past couple years and are now opening these new super stores all throughout center city Philly with casual seating (including one on Penn/Drexels campus) and even one down in D.C.

Their focus has shifted from the suburban gas/retail stores into these new stores in urban/gentrified areas.
I don't see tristate millennials wanting to hang out in a fancied up convenience store

I don't see tristate millennials wanting to hang out in a fancied up convenience store

They wouldn’t go to hang out...this isn’t the 80’s or 90’s. Also Wawa is way more than a convenience store these days. Half of the floor plan set is aside for reasonably priced and good made-to-order food items and coffee.

Wawa has changed much of its business model. Over the past 5 years in Center City Philly they’ve put way more of a focus on building giant new stores in densely populated areas or revamped and modernized old stores. They’ve built almost 10 brand new giant stores around Market Street, Rittenhouse, University City and have plans to build one in an old historic building by Independende Hall.

Before they wouldn’t touch urban areas and were 100% all in on the suburban gas station/store layouts.

Just last week they opened the biggest location to date on Drexel’s campus. When I was in school 7-8 years ago kids would always drive down to Route 18 to go to the East Brunswick location.

With all of the Rutgers convenience stores run by Barnes and Noble closing over all of the campuses, even more of a reason to have a Wawa. It would be a monster hit if they put one around the train station with students, commuters and corporate workers.

Actually the Brother Jimmy’s location would be a perfect spot.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/09/19/wawa-drexel-free-coffee/?pam-referer=https://drexel.edu/now/in-the-news/archive/2018/September/Sept-18-Wawa-various/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ph...et-sixth-walnut-independence-mall-drexel/amp/

Wawa appears to have recently diversified their site selection strategy. Up until just a few years ago they apparently would only consider free-standing sites for their stores and only those where they could install gas pumps.

Recently they decided to jump in on infill space that they fit out. Their first store in DC opened earlier this year to substantial fanfare. It is to some degree a fancied up convenience store but the brand has hardcore fans that seem to be eating up the latest store format.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Also Wawa is way more than a convenience store these days. Half of the floor plan set is aside for reasonably priced and good made-to-order food items and coffee.

So it is pretty much the same as Quick Chek, Sheetz, or Rutters.

But I agree with you that a high-quality C-Store within walking distance from campus, whether Wawa or QC, would be an asset to students.

They wouldn’t go to hang out...this isn’t the 80’s or 90’s. Also Wawa is way more than a convenience store these days. Half of the floor plan set is aside for reasonably priced and good made-to-order food items and coffee.

Wawa has changed much of its business model.

Before they wouldn’t touch urban areas and were 100% all in on the suburban gas station/store layouts.

Just last week they opened the biggest location to date on Drexel’s campus. When I was in school 7-8 years ago kids would always drive down to Route 18 to go to the East Brunswick location.

With all of the Rutgers convenience stores run by Barnes and Noble closing over all of the campuses, even more of a reason to have a Wawa. It would be a monster hit if they put one around the train station with students, commuters and corporate workers.

Actually the Brother Jimmy’s location would be a perfect spot.
My two sons, 18 and 15 agree with this statement. Along with the rest of their hockey team.

So it is pretty much the same as Quick Chek, Sheetz, or Rutters.

But I agree with you that a high-quality C-Store within walking distance from campus, whether Wawa or QC, would be an asset to students.

Nicer and better made to order options than Sheetz and would also say the same vs. Quick Check.

I have a few friends who grew up in central/north jersey and they prefer Wawa over Quick Check.

Nicer and better made to order options than Sheetz and would also say the same vs. Quick Check.

I have a few friends who grew up in central/north jersey and they prefer Wawa over Quick Check.
Maybe better than Sheetz. Sheetz tends toward higher fat food options.

As far as Wawa vs QC, they're pretty identical, despite Wawa's cult following. A few years ago, I posted a head-to-head review of Wawa vs QC. The food at QC was slightly better (mostly due to the Wawa hoagie having all the meat on one side and the Wawa breakfast eggs having a salty cheese sauce), but for the most part, they're indistinguishable.

Maybe better than Sheetz. Sheetz tends toward higher fat food options.

As far as Wawa vs QC, they're pretty identical, despite Wawa's cult following. A few years ago, I posted a head-to-head review of Wawa vs QC. The food at QC was slightly better (mostly due to the Wawa hoagie having all the meat on one side and the Wawa breakfast eggs having a salty cheese sauce), but for the most part, they're indistinguishable.
I don't even know what a Sheetz is but I know guys my kids age, if they had a choice, will pick WaWa over Quick Chek.

I don't even know what a Sheetz is but I know guys my kids age, if they had a choice, will pick WaWa over Quick Chek.
Wawa has a cult following. That doesn't mean it is better.

Also Wawa has over 800 stores while QuickChek has about 150 stores (of which about a third are within about 20 miles of New Brunswick). So unless you live in central NJ, you are much more likely to be familiar with Wawa over QuickChek.

Also Wawa has over 800 stores while QuickChek has about 150 stores (of which about a third are within about 20 miles of New Brunswick). So unless you live in central NJ, you are much more likely to be familiar with Wawa over QuickChek.
Exactly. ;)

You can keep bringing up the cult following but at some point you’ll need to admit Wawa might just be better.

This isn’t PSU football we’re talking about. This is a place customers spend their disposable income on over items they consume.

I have a few friends that grew up in Central/North Jersey and usually look down upon anything that’s related to Philly/South Jersey.

They like Wawa way better than Quick Check.

And Sheetz isn’t even in the same world. That place usually has the feel of a pit stop in the middle of nowhere and the food offerings aren’t even close.

Reactions: m1ipabrams
ADVERTISEMENT