ADVERTISEMENT

There is such a thing as a moral victory

Fans are entitled to see the game as a moral victory. In all honesty it was. Now Saturday vs Iowa… We don’t want a moral victory. JUST WIN… I’ll be happy with even 3-2.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
We’re still playing competitive football 2 weeks into November. Thought the high water mark was going to be 6 wins. Now we have a shot at anywhere from 7 to 9. Incredible progress.

Greg’s still got it. And the 2025 recruiting class is going to be a doozy.

Fans are entitled to see the game as a moral victory. In all honesty it was. Now Saturday vs Iowa… We don’t want a moral victory. JUST WIN… I’ll be happy with even 3-2.

And recruits are going to see RU as a school that’s now just a few guys away from making the jump to a perennial top 1/3 of the B1G. And they’re going to want to be that guy.

We should be able to continue the upward trend in recruiting. Going out of New Jersey now and if these players think it’s greener pastures at other schools well it’s not always better.

So- at the end of last year- I really felt there had been very little improvement and we just didn't even look like we belonged on the same field as many of the teams out there. I don't remember feeling that we had a chance on most of our games.
We have watched these kids and the coaching staff become something completley different this year and we have been in every game and one thing for sure- we do belong on the same field as the top teams in the country.
There is nothing wrong with moral victories. As you need them as you are growing and maturing.

I guess I don't understand this thought that there should be no more moral victories. IF Saturday's loss didn't give this team the confidence to play the same way or better against any other team we face, then I guess it isn't a moral victory, but it was.

So- at the end of last year- I really felt there had been very little improvement and we just didn't even look like we belonged on the same field as many of the teams out there. I don't remember feeling that we had a chance on most of our games.
We have watched these kids and the coaching staff become something completley different this year and we have been in every game and one thing for sure- we do belong on the same field as the top teams in the country.
There is nothing wrong with moral victories. As you need them as you are growing and maturing.

I guess I don't understand this thought that there should be no more moral victories. IF Saturday's loss didn't give this team the confidence to play the same way or better against any other team we face, then I guess it isn't a moral victory, but it was.

Think I’m using “moral victory” and “remarkable progress” interchangeably. What I see is a team and a program that’s rising rapidly.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
We’re still playing competitive football 2 weeks into November. Thought the high water mark was going to be 6 wins. Now we have a shot at anywhere from 7 to 9. Incredible progress.

Greg’s still got it. And the 2025 recruiting class is going to be a doozy.
How is the 2024 recruiting class ?

How is the 2024 recruiting class ?

I think it’s a good class, but not an elite one. Given how far along 2024 is, the results from this season will show up in the 2025 class as there is always the lag. Rutgers is a school guys want to attend and has a ton to offer, particularly for out of state kids (I totally understand why NJ kids are nonplussed with proximity to NYC, they’ve had it their whole lives).

Greg proving he can still maximize talent, hang with the B1G Boys on Saturday and play in bowl games will make us a serious player for juniors just getting rolling with the recruitment process.

Having watched GS's post-game press conference, I'm with him in not really believing much in moral victories.

I understand fans feeling cheered by a performance that is vastly better than prior years. I feel cheered by that, too. But at the end of the day, it's either a W or an L and everything else is a bunch of endlessly debatable, ultimately meaningless discussion points.

We're all happy that the team has improved. But if we're self-honest, and we look forward to the next several seasons, will we still be happy with losing games like this where we have a shot at winning a huge game but come up short?

I think we all know the answer to that.

The team is improving but it needs to keep the improvement going. The job's not done.

Having watched GS's post-game press conference, I'm with him in not really believing much in moral victories.

I understand fans feeling cheered by a performance that is vastly better than prior years. I feel cheered by that, too. But at the end of the day, it's either a W or an L and everything else is a bunch of endlessly debatable, ultimately meaningless discussion points.

We're all happy that the team has improved. But if we're self-honest, and we look forward to the next several seasons, will we still be happy with losing games like this where we have a shot at winning a huge game but come up short?

I think we all know the answer to that.

The team is improving but it needs to keep the improvement going. The job's not done.
I am sure Greg's message to the team is very different than his message to the press.

In the locker room- I am sure he did give a bit of a hyped up post game about beating the number 1 team in the nation in all aspects of the game on the field except for the score. And then lit into them for what they need to do to make that next step. I am sure he also told them there are no moral victories while again- pumping them up to where they are now from where they were last year and how no one had expected them to be able to be where they are now.
So- while the "no moral victory" would be the same- the players would have also known how f-ing proud he was of them.

I am sure Greg's message to the team is very different than his message to the press.

In the locker room- I am sure he did give a bit of a hyped up post game about beating the number 1 team in the nation in all aspects of the game on the field except for the score. And then lit into them for what they need to do to make that next step. I am sure he also told them there are no moral victories while again- pumping them up to where they are now from where they were last year and how no one had expected them to be able to be where they are now.
So- while the "no moral victory" would be the same- the players would have also known how f-ing proud he was of them.
He did say, in his press conference, that he was proud of the staff and players. So I'm sure you're right about what he said in the locker room.

Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of respect for both the coaching staff and players for what they've accomplished since last season.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT