ADVERTISEMENT

There is such a thing as a moral victory

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
I get the coach-speak of "there are no moral victories," since winning/losing is binary, but anyone who doesn't think today was a moral victory for Rutgers is just not paying attention to the history of this program, especially vis-a-vis OSU, who owns an average margin of victory over us of 53-11, during our 9 years in the B1G and most of those games weren't even that close.

We went toe to toe with the #1 team in the country, outgaining them 361-328, including 232 yards rushing against one of the best run defenses in the country, with an edge in first downs of 22-15 and an margin of 35:36-25:24 in time of possession and if it weren't for a couple of unfortunate bounces/mistakes (why did the tipped ball on the GW jump pass have to go right into the hands of the safety for a pick six and if only Strong holds onto that TD to make it 28-23), plus some seriously questionable officiating (how did they not call that false start on OSU?), we actually might have won this game. It also would've been nice to get more than 16 points (and giving up 7) on our 6 red zone possessions (including 4 inside the 10!).

This is, by far, the best I've ever felt about a Rutgers 19 point loss in the history of the world. That's the definition of a moral victory for me. The mistakes are correctable and this team just plays its heart out and mostly executes quite well, meaning we should be in the next 3 games and might even win 1 (or 2...or 3?), when before this game, I was thinking an 0-4 finish was probably likely. I like the way CBS put it in their game blog.

Greg Schiano is a miracle worker

It's a loss, but it's a loss that was a lot more competitive than the final score. On paper, Rutgers shouldn't have a prayer of competing with the Buckeyes, but this was a one-score game early in the fourth quarter.

Last, but not least, it was a gorgeous day for tailgating and a football game and the fans showed up and were pretty loud most of the game. I got more than my money's worth.

I get the coach-speak of "there are no moral victories," since winning/losing is binary, but anyone who doesn't think today was a moral victory for Rutgers is just not paying attention to the history of this program, especially vis-a-vis OSU, who owns an average margin of victory over us of 53-11, during our 9 years in the B1G and most of those games weren't even that close.

We went toe to toe with the #1 team in the country, outgaining them 361-328, including 232 yards rushing against one of the best run defenses in the country, with an edge in first downs of 22-15 and an margin of 35:36-25:24 in time of possession and if it weren't for a couple of unfortunate bounces/mistakes (why did the tipped ball on the GW jump pass have to go right into the hands of the safety for a pick six and if only Strong holds onto that TD to make it 28-23), plus some seriously questionable officiating (how did they not call that false start on OSU?), we actually might have won this game. It also would've been nice to get more than 16 points (and giving up 7) on our 6 red zone possessions (including 4 inside the 10!).

This is, by far, the best I've ever felt about a Rutgers 19 point loss in the history of the world. That's the definition of a moral victory for me. The mistakes are correctable and this team just plays its heart out and mostly executes quite well, meaning we should be in the next 3 games and might even win 1 (or 2...or 3?), when before this game, I was thinking an 0-4 finish was probably likely. I like the way CBS put it in their game blog.

It's a loss, but it's a loss that was a lot more competitive than the final score. On paper, Rutgers shouldn't have a prayer of competing with the Buckeyes, but this was a one-score game early in the fourth quarter.

Last, but not least, it was a gorgeous day for tailgating and a football game and the fans showed up and were pretty loud most of the game. I got more than my money's worth.
Nice to see a positive post in a sea of whiny fans. The arrow is pointed up for the program. Nobody likes any loss, but they came to play today, and they came up short. That happens to a lot of teams that play the #1 team in the nation. That's why they are ranked #1. The fans turning this into complaining about playcalling, Greg, Kirk and our QB need a reality check.

Nice to see a positive post in a sea of whiny fans. The arrow is pointed up for the program. Nobody likes any loss, but they came to play today, and they came up short. That happens to a lot of teams that play the #1 team in the nation. That's why they are ranked #1. The fans turning this into complaining about playcalling, Greg, Kirk and our QB need a reality check.
Yes they do - complaining after playing #1 close into the 4Q and having a legitimate shot to win is just nuts. I'm ok with analyzing what can be done better (that's exactly what Greg said in his presser), but some of the highly critical commentary is just friggin' stupid.

I know it’s just semantics but I prefer to think of this as a ‘building block’ game.

Our guys know we can play with anybody, and our 4th quarter losses to good teams are not a fluke.

Confidence will be high for our remaining 3 games, and I believe we’ll get at least one victory and maybe two.

Wow, looks like Politi lifted my post, lol, including the average score against OSU the last 9 years and the moral victory angle. Good article though (paywall) - excerpt below.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...-states-dominance-politis-5-observations.html

Moral victory? Rutgers can take one given Ohio State’s dominance

Add it up, and Ohio State had beaten Rutgers by an average score of 53-11 since the Scarlet Knights joined the Big Ten. Which is a roundabout way of saying that while moral victories are usually for losers, Rutgers can claim one on Saturday.

That won’t make this closer-than-it-looks 35-16 loss to the Buckeyes any easier to take in the short term. The visitors from Columbus might be No. 1 in the playoff rankings this week, but on a perfect fall Saturday afternoon, they were beatable.

Tantalizingly beatable. Frustratingly beatable. Annoyingly beatable. And had Rutgers played a perfect game, well, who knows?

Not upset with the loss. Proud of team, but no such thing as moral victory. Losing teams think that way.

I know it’s just semantics but I prefer to think of this as a ‘building block’ game.

Our guys know we can play with anybody, and our 4th quarter losses to good teams are not a fluke.

Confidence will be high for our remaining 3 games, and I believe we’ll get at least one victory and maybe two.
I have zero problem with Greg's philosophical approach in not calling it a moral victory, but I do believe in moral victories and this was the perfect example of one, IMO. No issue with him or you or others calling it a building block game either. The key point is this game shows, unequivocally, how much we've improved this year (and since Greg came back). What we call it is largely irrelevant.

Reactions: BillyC80 and Dpgru
What's amazing is that at many times throughout the game we not only looked competitive but we looked like equals to the number one team in the country. Just think about that when compared to other RU teams since 2000. Our OL really started going to work once we had some rhythm with the play calling and passing.

If you can't enjoy this loss even though it's a loss, I don't know what to say. Those people that dwell on the negative must be the most miserable people of all time.

you can’t call it a moral victory yet. This means nothing If we lose the last 3.
win another game or 2 and then yeah this was a moral victory

I agree , if you step back and take the big view, if 2 or 3 plays went RU’s way, this could have been very interesting in the 4th qtr. For me, that RU rushed for 200+ yards against that defense is astonishing. I didn’t think they would rush for 100 yds. If they can continue to run the ball that way and play really solid defense they will have a legit chance to win in the last 3 games. Next week @ Iowa will be tough but they have a legit chance.

What's amazing is that at many times throughout the game we not only looked competitive but we looked like equals to the number one team in the country. Just think about that when compared to other RU teams since 2000. Our OL really started going to work once we had some rhythm with the play calling and passing.

If you can't enjoy this loss even though it's a loss, I don't know what to say. Those people that dwell on the negative must be the most miserable people of all time.
OL looked like a well oiled machine today against a top ranked Defense! Kudos to them and the staff

I agree , if you step back and take the big view, if 2 or 3 plays went RU’s way, this could have been very interesting in the 4th qtr. For me, that RU rushed for 200+ yards against that defense is astonishing. I didn’t think they would rush for 100 yds. If they can continue to run the ball that way and play really solid defense they will have a legit chance to win in the last 3 games. Next week @ Iowa will be tough but they have a legit chance.
As Will MD game. They appear to have given up

It is essential!!! that we keep Pat Flaherty on this staff. This man can never get enough credit for this team's improvement.
From the moment of his hire I called it the best hire we ever made. And how the hell do you get a 2 time SB OL Coach to come here to coach the Rutgers OL. Bigger signing then if we signed the number 1 recruit in the country.
And if you are a 4/5 star OL in HS right now- you have to be taking notice.
These kids that many of our fans were knocking as crap after last season just pushed around the best defense they may ever face.

Greg Schiano.
From the moment of his hire I called it the best hire we ever made. And how the hell do you get a 2 time SB OL Coach to come here to coach the Rutgers OL. Bigger signing then if we signed the number 1 recruit in the country.
These kids that many of our fans were knocking as crap after last season just pushed around the best defense they may ever face.

He does have a history here coaching from 1984-1991 where Greg(GA) and him crossed paths. He's an east coast guy since high school and has been bouncing around the NFL changing jobs every year since his Giants run ended in 2015. His job before Rutgers was as an advisor for the Giants.

Seems his time in the NFL had come to a close and he got the analyst job here last year. So, he must have not been in high demand. He's older now at 67 and may be done with babysitting professional athletes and likes getting back to actual teaching. The old guy can definitely teach and is better suited to the college game now.

I know all this because I wondered about the exact same question and researched it.

Last edited:
Rutgers outplayed the #1 team in the country for 3 quarters and had we been able to convert on 3rd and short goal and also converted that crazy pick 6 in OSU Red zone, it would have been 28-7 Rutgers. We outgained OSU, had more first downs, ran for over 200 yards, and shut them down for 3 quarters defensively. All with a roster without a top 20 recruiting class or any megastar recruits.

If there ever is a moral victory, this was it.

Keep Chopping.

Thought what Rutgers did yesterday was great. Sad of the outcome but as I said on the prediction thread that Rutgers would lose in the end because of the depth of OSU bench. For most of the game Rutgers played terrific. Let's go get a few more wins and celebrate at the bowl game that isn't in NYC.

Reactions: RC1978 and hoquat63
Not a moral victory in terms of win-loss, but a victory in terms of a program showing that it is on the rise. First time in a long time that it seems we might be moving in the right direction to be competitive against the best of the BIG. When have any of us thought that realistically?

Some key Rutgers recruits witnessed how this program is becoming competitive with Blue Blood programs and can part of the journey.

The last OSU TD was a gift.
Rutgers was so close with two potential TD catches in the endzone that would have been in a position to win in the 4th quarter.

I think the other thing about this is the recruiting factor and perception around the program. Football people notice things are changing. That has to help build the program.

The concept of a moral victory used to resonate with me but no longer. It is the result that counts. Either you take advantage of the opportunity presented or you don't. We were dominant in the second quarter yesterday yet could only muster 9 points. The first drive of the second half started out promising but we wound up being outscored in the second half 28-7. Yesterday was the first time against OSU that the game was following a scenario that allowed the viewer to think hey maybe there is a path to find a way to win this. I doubt that will mean much next week in Iowa or the games beyond.

GS was asked about moral victories in his post game presser and disavowed the concept as well. I guess you would not expect him to say otherwise. Moral victories probably was always just a concept for the fan base.

You can be encouraged by some of the things you saw (the ability of #5 to run the ball against that level of comp) and the way they kept fighting for most of the game, but the older I get the concept of a moral victory rings more hollow with each passing year.

Until the get more consistent QB play and stop making mistakes that you can't not overcome against good teams, the best we can hope for is a team that hovers around .500.

The most important measurement to me is that the opponent and coaching staff knew they were in a game.
Maybe this will be the beginning of the end of "it's just Rutgers"

Reactions: BillyC80
I agree in principle there are no moral victories. However, I was out playing golf this afternoon wearing an RU pullover. All afternoon I was getting positive comments from on yesterday's game. So in the sense of gaining respect from non-RU fans, it serves as a moral victory. It seems everyone out playing today had watched the game.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
no moral victories in this business, that's just about as dumb a thing as you can have
big business, free educations, kids making more than 99% of people on this board in some instances

definitely no moral victories and especially when the game could have been won. We did great for 90% of the game and the country was holding it's breath for much of it. PSU suddenly got worried

I agree in principle there are no moral victories. However, I was out playing golf this afternoon wearing an RU pullover. All afternoon I was getting positive comments from on yesterday's game. So in the sense of gaining respect from non-RU fans, it serves as a moral victory. It seems everyone out playing today had watched the game.
Our team is starting to get a buzz around it again. It is a great feel.
I think the OSU game opened a few @national” eyes too

Reactions: RUTGERS95
we need the local media to buy in, that is key

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Here's another way to look at it. On Tuesday night we might be able to claim that RU knocked Ohio St off from #1.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT