ADVERTISEMENT

This is on Eugene

perception is reality.
see Rutgers football program if you have any questions.
so Rutgers as a Bball program ,when attempting to ever take a step and make a tournament in last 28 years..
has lost Mike Rosario,Echenique,Carter, and today Omoruyi!
what a game plan !
So when we were perceived as the worst team in the big ten last year, that was reality. Got it.

Cannot understand the anti Pike comments.
Any coach will get the best players he can find since not only injuries are common but it gives the team another look. I would definitely understand negative comments IF he didn't go find some insurance.
In this case, who would have bet money that this knee would not go out again?
Move forward!

Reactions: shields
Player has dislocated knee, plays through it and not close to 100%, refuses surgery which would knock player out for a season.....player comes back for next season, and dislocated the same knee a 2nd time...

Coach wisely secures a grad transfer to potentially replace a.player who should redshirt this season, get the procedure done and play in 2020-21, for his last season of eligibility, player potentially balks and that is Pike's fault??

Some fans are just out in space, I guess.....

What would be Pike's fault is not securing a better fit and player and not trying to get another PF in here ASAP....not only did Coach land Yeboah, he almost got another quality piece in Hason Ward, but got into his recruitment too late....maybe perhaps Eugene's actions and the recruiting of PFs now makes more sense??

Yep, that's Pike's fault...LMAO
Obviously, I'm only looking at this from a distance, but I can't imagine a more plausible explanation than this one, and from a guy who, I think we'd all stipulate, has his thumb on the pulse of the Rutgers program.

Shocker to read this morning, but sometimes, the most obvious explanation is the right one.

I fixed your post for you.

Inexcusable on Eugene's part. In a pivotal upcoming season full of expectations you don’t leave your teammates and the only P5 coach that took a flyer on him. Rutgers made EO into who his is today. On the same day that Yeboah enrolls and RU announces a thank you game in Toronto for him, he shocks the program with a transfer???? Massive fail on his part.

Reactions: RU at the shore
Not sold on Pikiel as a recruiter yet. If true, this is two open scholarships for next year and no strong candidates in sight. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
Pikiell’s a pretty good gameday coach. But he’s flat out mediocre at best as a recruiter. He’s had success in the AEC with good coaching, but the talent he’s brought in to RU is not going to take us beyond the NIT.

Pikiell’s a pretty good gameday coach. But he’s flat out mediocre at best as a recruiter. He’s had success in the AEC with good coaching, but the talent he’s brought in to RU is not going to take us beyond the NIT.
Now he is a mediocre recruiter landing the likes of Harper, Mathis mulcahy, yeboah.. Do you know how many options kids like that had? Where do you come up with this crap? What an ignorant post...you understand all our young talented guys are basically underclassmen right? Yet you're putting nit as their ceiling for their 4 years...pathetic.

Inexcusable on Pike’s part. In a pivotal upcoming season full of expectations you don’t let your leading scorer and rebounder transfer. Massive fail on his part.
this is the problem with todays world. Not just sports. You know nothing about the situation, yet, you're on here raveling as if EO told you why he was leaving.... smh.

I always laugh when people talk about optics when it comes to Rutgers. Listen, I love my school, and follow our teams religiously, but no one outside of my fellow alumni friends and my son who is entering RU in the fall will even notice this, or know who EO is. We aren't Duke, Kansas, or even St. John's in terms of casual fans knowing our roster. They will care about the "optics" if we are under water midway through the conference season, which is about when those casual fans start to wean off football.

I understand the sky-is-falling, PTSD Rutgers fan mindset on these boards, but college basketball is about the coaches, not one player. I'll keep the faith until Pike proves me wrong.

Reactions: rucoe89
We all know he's a very emotional young man....shame and surprise. Not flipping out on this.

Player has dislocated knee, plays through it and not close to 100%, refuses surgery which would knock player out for a season.....player comes back for next season, and dislocated the same knee a 2nd time...

Coach wisely secures a grad transfer to potentially replace a.player who should redshirt this season, get the procedure done and play in 2020-21, for his last season of eligibility, player potentially balks and that is Pike's fault??

Some fans are just out in space, I guess.....

What would be Pike's fault is not securing a better fit and player and not trying to get another PF in here ASAP....not only did Coach land Yeboah, he almost got another quality piece in Hason Ward, but got into his recruitment too late....maybe perhaps Eugene's actions and the recruiting of PFs now makes more sense??

Yep, that's Pike's fault...LMAO
After reading the NJ.com article, I believe that this is true. Ockham razor " generally the simplest answer is the correct one."

After reading the NJ.com article, I believe that this is true. Ockham razor " generally the simplest answer is the correct one."

The article seems to indicate that Eugene is the one who wants to sit out, not the staff. Although who knows if the two sides have even talked about it.

Reactions: RUsojo

Guessing you don't follow RU hoops or recruiting very closely.

With what he's had to work with, Pike has been an absolute phenomenal recruiter and is only getting better.

Can't imagine how you can blame Pike without knowing the real reason why Eugene decided to leave. Ans if you do, please share it with the rest of us.

Something is missing here. The knee? A family issue? Wasnt the team going to Europe?

I'm not being serious. I'm just poking fun at the posts this past season where people lost faith in Pike after one of the bad losses early in the season.

This sucks. It's a typical Rutgers story. But Pike and the players will be okay

You're not....that's a relief!~

MO:sunglasses:

Now he is a mediocre recruiter landing the likes of Harper, Mathis mulcahy, yeboah.. Do you know how many options kids like that had? Where do you come up with this crap? What an ignorant post...you understand all our young talented guys are basically underclassmen right? Yet you're putting nit as their ceiling for their 4 years...pathetic.
You're not puffing your chest with Pike's recruiting to date are you? Baker, Harper, Mathis, Mulcahy...throw in Yeboah...you have the makings of a tourney team...if you're playing for an autobid in the AEC. They're not bad. But it's not going to get you a bid playing 19-20 games in the B1G. You can only take recruiting rankings with a grain of salt, but consistent 10th rankings in-conference just isn't going to do it. Pikiell is good enough a coach to maybe coax a few more victories out of this team next year and break the 15-win barrier. But if you think they're playing in March...well, I'm sure you do think they will. I'm done holding my breath.

You're not puffing your chest with Pike's recruiting to date are you? Baker, Harper, Mathis, Mulcahy...throw in Yeboah...you have the makings of a tourney team...if you're playing for an autobid in the AEC. They're not bad. But it's not going to get you a bid playing 19-20 games in the B1G. You can only take recruiting rankings with a grain of salt, but consistent 10th rankings in-conference just isn't going to do it. Pikiell is good enough a coach to maybe coax a few more victories out of this team next year and break the 15-win barrier. But if you think they're playing in March...well, I'm sure you do think they will. I'm done holding my breath.

There's a time and place for fact checks, but there's a hard core reality check too.

There are Top 150 kids on every B1G roster recruited since 2017....some schools have more, some have less....there are some that transfer out to other schools.

I believe the count I checked last week had the following breakdown.

Michigan State 10

Maryland 9

Ohio State 9

Michigan 8

And RU was in the pack of the rest with 4, some schools had more, some less (Purdue, Wisconsin less, Northwestern and Iowa around the same or more.

I know it's hard to believe but I counted Harper Jr, Mathis, Mulcahy and Jacob Young as 4 Top 150 kids on the roster.

That doesn't mean all Top 150 kids pan out, because 33 to 40% of them actually dont....but there's a pattern of postings that truly don't support the notion that RU isn't at least keeping up with the proverbial Joneses.

I'm not at home, but have the full list of names...

Ironically a kid staying in the NBA draft as a freshman Brazdekis, was not a Top 150 kid, but beat out 4 other Top 150 recruits on Michigan's roster.

Which is why recruiting or following it helps, but player development and finding the right kids also matters as well. I could argue Caleb McConnell is as valuable as Mathis, Young, Mulcahy or Harper. And I'm sure every other B1G roster has 2 or 3 gems they've developed.

Says who? You have seen one year of the young guys and that year if we had about 4 more wins we would've been in the talk for a tourney spot. Youre the one spouting garbage about what you know this incredibly talented young group can and can not accomplish. Were we not a young roster last year? Is that the false narrative you're pushing? Feel free to keep holding your breath.

To answer your question, yeah I definitely am beating my chest about those mentioned guys. They were tourney level talent. Just because you say they aren't because you're butthurt about Eugene today doesn't make it true.

Your opinion is based on nothing. Seriously how reactionary are you? "Eugene is leaving life as we know it is over".

Last edited:

Do us all a favor, and hold your breath a little longer.

Last edited:
Of course it’s on Pike. He’s the grad coach. Everybody understands how that works.

But it seems like there is really nothing he could do. Yes, having a player kicked off the team and then tor captain skipping out on you in short succession is not good at face value.

But it hardly lowers my opinion of Pike.

Inexcusable on Pike’s part. In a pivotal upcoming season full of expectations you don’t let your leading scorer and rebounder transfer. Massive fail on his part.
everything's on the HC, but that doesn't mean everything is his fault.
When it comes to college sports, no one can always say what causes a player to want toleave and sometimes it could be the HC kept that kid from transferring before without anyone knowing , but that just delayed the action till a later date even if the HC thought his player would stay till eligibility was used up.

No one can be sure why Eugene is leaving or if he even though about it before , but his leaving could be only a quick decision that the blame can't be pointed at the HC or anyone else connected to Rutgers else.

EO might just have suddenly decided that his future might be served better somewhere else
and made that decision on his own or following the advice of a person not connected to Rutgers and without anyone at Rutgers knowing Eugene was thinking about transferring

Personally I think were better off with Yeboah in place on Eugene. Yeboah can play 30-32 mins a night and alot more efficiently than Eugene. Eugene killed the offense at times last year and couldnt defend post players. Remember when he got dominated and embarrassed vs illinois, it was horrible to watch

Here is the main worry. And I post this as someone who has written all day that losing Eugene is not the death knell some believe it to be.

Kiss came from a program that actually played a harder schedule than Yeboah. And it just didn't quite translate "up a level". Like most I got excited seeing Kiss' box scores v. Gonzaga (18 points) and Seton Hall (19 points). But doing it a handful of times as a mid-major player in games that you get sky high for versus a high major is very different than having to do it 22+ times in "the big leagues".

Here is the main worry. And I post this as someone who has written all day that losing Eugene is not the death knell some believe it to be.

Kiss came from a program that actually played a harder schedule than Yeboah. And it just didn't quite translate "up a level". Like most I got excited seeing Kiss' box scores v. Gonzaga (18 points) and Seton Hall (19 points). But doing it a handful of times as a mid-major player in games that you get sky high for versus a high major is very different than having to do it 22 times in "the big leagues".

Kiss offensive efficiency at Quinnipiac: 95

Kiss offensive efficiency at Rutgers: 96.5

Yeboah offensive efficiency at Stony Brook: 103

We shall see.

Reactions: gregkoko

Coach Pikiell has recruited five (5) Rivals 150 players to the Banks (Doucoure, Mathis, Harper, Young and Mulcahy). How many B1G teams have that many or more? 5? 6? 7? It sure isn't many more than that.

In all seriousness, if the knee is the issue and Pikiell and he did not see eye to eye on this maybe his leaving is not as much of a surprise.

In all seriousness, if the knee is the issue and Pikiell and he did not see eye to eye on this maybe his leaving is not as much of a surprise.

The team put out a press release yesterday about the game in Canada mentioning Omoruyi specifically by name. If there was even a whiff of this as a possibility they would not have done that.

UPDATE; should have waited for more evidence. All on Eugene and whoever has tampered with him.

Classic. Why does everyone love to jump to conclusions on this board? Man o man

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT