ADVERTISEMENT

This isn’t about recruiting.....

Zachary.Peril

Junior
May 13, 2018
well maybe a little bit it is more about player and team development. This roster has the talent to be competitive with Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota. And they sure as heck should be playing with Kansas and Buffalo. There is zero team coaching on this team. Has little to do with recruiting or younger guys playing.

I think we do not have the skill position players of most of those teams..Buffalo has 2 players (QB,WR) that are projected to be drafted in the first 3 rounds next year...RU has Austin that may have been a mid round pick..

well maybe a little bit it is more about player and team development. This roster has the talent to be competitive with Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota. And they sure as heck should be playing with Kansas and Buffalo. There is zero team coaching on this team. Has little to do with recruiting or younger guys playing.

Zachary,

If I could admend you title I would say "this isn't only about recruiting..."

Because along with what you state, which I agree, recruiting has been very poor.

Reactions: drewbagel423

Talent level not up to par with those teams, and neither is Coaching talent.

Okay, so let’s also talk schemes:

Who had the idea to leave Wharton 1 v 1 with the top returning receiver in the nation stay wise?

I feel bad for the bull that Ash sold to his first recruiting class. (Melton’s class). They deserve better.

Okay, so let’s also talk schemes:

Who had the idea to leave Wharton 1 v 1 with the top returning receiver in the nation stay wise?

You rather our true freshman CB cover him? How about our seniors in the secondary actually make some damn plays and know their assignments.

Agreed about 50%! I think we have the right coaches but they fale at recruiting the right offensive lineman. I understandand trust their philosophy but it's pretty hard to execute without Talent at the line of scrimmage.

Recruiting is and always will be an issue in college football.But the problem here goes waaaaay beyond that In the past 2 games how many 20+ yard plays have we given up?? When players are so out of position and appear to be constantly confused thats coaching.

Out recruiting over the last 5 years has ranked around 50. Buffalo has ranked around 100. Now I am not saying these ranks are perfect but this shows we should at least be able to keep the Buffalo game close for a half based on recruiting!

It is all on player development failing by the coaches!

It is both but great coaching can do more with less.

We also have seen bad coaches do less with teams full of 4-5 stars players.

really bad teams are bad at both.

But the elites are good at both, that is what makes them elite.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
It is both but great coaching can do more with less.

We also have seen bad coaches do less with teams full of 4-5 stars players.

really bad teams are bad at both.

But the elites are good at both, that is what makes them elite.
Line one is extremely important for schools of our status. You don't improve recruiting markedly without some long term sustained achievement and by my theory of recruiting I don't even mean 10- 20 spots on the rankings which some would take as improvement, it can be same tier of talent to me.

You have to be able to develop the talent you get for the system you run, that's is utmost for schools like us and the easier the system is to learn and pick and plug and play for the better.

Like I mentioned yesterday multiple times take a look at WSU. Under Leach rankings largely in the 50s with a high of 69 and low of 46 and he's gone 2-2 in this last 4 meetings with the mighty USC and their rankings in the top 15 and likely top 10 most years. Leach knows his system,well, it's simple to pick up and he can consistently identify qbs that can run it and even lately hire a couple solid DCs in Grinch and now Claeys. He's done a nice job resurrecting WSU to respectable for the most part.

That's the kind of profile of a coach we need.

Line one is extremely important for schools of our status. You don't improve recruiting markedly without some long term sustained achievement and by my theory of recruiting I don't even mean 10- 20 spots on the rankings which some would take as improvement, it can be same tier of talent to me.

You have to be able to develop the talent you get for the system you run, that's is utmost for schools like us and the easier the system is to learn and pick and plug and play for the better.

Like I mentioned yesterday multiple times take a look at WSU. Under Leach rankings largely in the 50s with a high of 69 and low of 46 and he's gone 2-2 in this last 4 meetings with the mighty USC and their rankings in the top 15 and likely top 10 most years. Leach knows his system,well, it's simple to pick up and he can consistently identify qbs that can run it and even lately hire a couple solid DCs in Grinch and now Claeys. He's done a nice job resurrecting WSU to respectable for the most part.

That's the kind of profile of a coach we need.
Please hire Mike Leach.

Please hire Mike Leach.
Unfortunately, he's not likely to be available. But I'm sure you've seen my Kliff Kingsbury hypothetical in one of the other threads. His seat is warm (had nice win over Ok. State on the road last night though) and timing could mesh in a year or two. Very important to have a big DC budget with him though as he's definitely one of those lost in the machinations of his offense.

Also like Littrell (another Leach branch) and Grinch defensive guy from the Leach tree and but with many other offensive connections.

Like I said it's a profile I look for not particularly any one person. In the end, no guarantees though.

I think it is fair to say that the way this team is playing now is not about recruiting, but recruiting is the reason we can confidently give up on Ash now because the recruiting trend shows that things will only get worse with him running things.

It’s a combination of a HC and Staff who don’t have a clue to prepare and focus a team AND having disastrous results in Recruiting. Not being able to attract more than 1 top 20 NJ recruit each class and having to battle the likes of Ball St. and Rhode Island for recruits is a recipe for failure for a B1G Program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT