ADVERTISEMENT

This season is NOT a failure

Nov 29, 2005
Regardless of what drivel people post here, this season is NOT a failure. Considering prior to last season Rutgers hadn't played a postseason game in 15 years, and hadn't been in the NCAA tournament in 30 years, we have made significant strides in building a sustainable program.

It's hard to erase 40 years of futility in the snap of a finger.

Pikiell has achieved things no other Rutgers MBB coach has achieved

- beat #1
- has defeated EVERY conference opponent
- has landed more 4* than his last two predecessors combined
- recruited players that can be described as "culture changers"
- and more!

My point is this, regardless of what happens in the next two games or in the B1G Tournament, I urge you to continue to support the team regardless of what postseason tournament they are in. I will be in attendance either way.

Becoming a consistent postseason team is a great building block to becoming a perennial NCAA tournament team. As we continue to win games, better players will want to walk through the doors of Jersey Mike's Arena.

Big shout-out to the fans for being loud last night. Really awesome atmosphere.

While i want to be happy about the above we should be proud of the results you stated but not making the NCAA would be a tough pill to swallow.

Never said it wasn't a tough pill to swallow but need to be some perspective too of how far we have come. The Rice Waters and Bannon eras were kind of fun, but when Hill and EJ were the coaches it was an absolute chore to come to games. Amazing what Pikiell has done and continues to lay the foundation to build. Sky is the limit.

If they don’t make the NCAAs, then yes it’s a failure.

Again, I’ve beat this drum to a pulp, but all you need to do is be average in the conference. Top half and you’re in.

32 auto bids. Leaves a max of 35 at large teams. Assuming 15 of those round out the top 25 programs, that leaves 20 spots for 300 teams. Not a big percentage...

32 auto bids. Leaves a max of 35 at large teams. Assuming 15 of those round out the top 25 programs, that leaves 20 spots for 300 teams. Not a big percentage...
There are 14 Big Ten teams.

7 will always get in, sometimes 8.

These are our peers, this is who we are competing against. Making the NCAAs is not the same for us vs a team like Belmont.

Some of you guys are stuck in A10 mode. Recruit average against your peers, coach average against your peers, perform average against your peers. That’s literally all you need to do.

This season is proof of that, we lost to absolute dog shit teams in OOC, and still have a tourney shot.

I'm grateful for the exciting and unexpected wins this season. At the same time I'm worried this may be our best chance at the dance for at least a couple of years unless Pike pulls a rabbit out of the portal or finds a bona fide hidden gem in his recruiting.

Never said it wasn't a tough pill to swallow but need to be some perspective too of how far we have come. The Rice Waters and Bannon eras were kind of fun, but when Hill and EJ were the coaches it was an absolute chore to come to games. Amazing what Pikiell has done and continues to lay the foundation to build. Sky is the limit.
Pike has a top conference and amazing facilities to sell recruits the others didn't have...not a fair comparison

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Pike has a top conference and amazing facilities to sell recruits the others didn't have...not a fair comparison

New facility didnt open until last year and about 10 years ago Big East was pretty darn awesome and well regarded. It's gone down in prestige going to the UConn + church format but those coaches had their chances.

And now he has three straight winning seasons to sell and play time to be had…getting quality players should not be this difficult.
Exactly. Why is the cache of playing here not as intriguing as I believe it should be? I don’t understand. We should get 1-2 solid portal transfers this in coming year. Will we?

Exactly. Why is the cache of playing here not as intriguing as I believe it should be? I don’t understand. We should get 1-2 solid portal transfers this in coming year. Will we?

Rutgers has literally only been relevant the last 3 years. Will be at least 3 more years before they get consistently highly ranked classes. Hard to change perception. Rutgers is still very much the punching bag of the B1G in perception battle.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Rutgers has literally only been relevant the last 3 years. Will be at least 3 more years before they get consistently highly ranked classes. Hard to change perception. Rutgers is still very much the punching bag of the B1G in perception battle.
But the portal has changed all that to some extent. A super guard playing for a mid tier school can come to Rutgers and score in front of sold out arenas. Get to the tournament

But the portal has changed all that to some extent. A super guard playing for a mid tier school can come to Rutgers and score in front of sold out arenas. Get to the tournament

Yep absolutely. I think HS recruiting is less important than ever. Rutgers will no doubt be active in the portal.

Reactions: RUKen
There are 14 Big Ten teams.

7 will always get in, sometimes 8.

These are our peers, this is who we are competing against. Making the NCAAs is not the same for us vs a team like Belmont.

Some of you guys are stuck in A10 mode. Recruit average against your peers, coach average against your peers, perform average against your peers. That’s literally all you need to do.

This season is proof of that, we lost to absolute dog shit teams in OOC, and still have a tourney shot.

You do realize there are 90+ schools in Power 5/6 conferences...?? Any of the following programs in other conferences usually are in contention or have been in Sweet 16s, Elite Eight, or Final Fours in recent years

North Carolina
Florida State
Louisville
Syracuse
NC State
Virginia
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Florida
South Carolina

This whole notion of recruiting average and you make the NCAAs is absurd....there are around 36 or so at large bids. In most cases, you have to be around the Top 25 to 35 teams in all of college basketball to be in consideration for an At Large bid. There are 350+ programs and around 100 "big-time or Power programs. To be in the Top 30 to 35 range for a bid is not "average"......it's called "legitimate ".

Reactions: 60au9
You do realize there are 90+ schools in Power 5/6 conferences...?? Any of the following programs in other conferences usually are in contention or have been in Sweet 16s, Elite Eight, or Final Fours in recent years

North Carolina
Florida State
Syracuse
NC State
Virginia
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Florida
South Carolina

This whole notion of recruiting average and you make the NCAAs is absurd....there are around 36 or so at large bids. In most cases, you have to be around the Top 25 to 35 teams in all of college basketball to be in consideration for an At Large bid. There are 350+ programs and around 100 "big-time or Power programs. To be in the Top 30 to 35 range for a bid is not "average"......it's called "legitimate ".
This is a lie. It’s a mirage.

Top half of the B1G and you’re in. 7 or 8 teams every year.

UConn, Cuse, Rhode Island, Belmont, Dayton, VT, etc. are not our peers.

The B1G is our conference. Be average relative to the conference and you’re in.

7th place out of 14 teams is average. That’s a NCAA bid.

and no quad 3 or 4 losses, that's killing this year's team, and should absolutely NEVER happen again.

Regardless of what drivel people post here, this season is NOT a failure. Considering prior to last season Rutgers hadn't played a postseason game in 15 years, and hadn't been in the NCAA tournament in 30 years, we have made significant strides in building a sustainable program.

It's hard to erase 40 years of futility in the snap of a finger.

Pikiell has achieved things no other Rutgers MBB coach has achieved

- beat #1
- has defeated EVERY conference opponent
- has landed more 4* than his last two predecessors combined
- recruited players that can be described as "culture changers"
- and more!

My point is this, regardless of what happens in the next two games or in the B1G Tournament, I urge you to continue to support the team regardless of what postseason tournament they are in. I will be in attendance either way.

Becoming a consistent postseason team is a great building block to becoming a perennial NCAA tournament team. As we continue to win games, better players will want to walk through the doors of Jersey Mike's Arena.

Big shout-out to the fans for being loud last night. Really awesome atmosphere.
Agreed- not a failure. Disappointment might be a better characterization given how the team was positioned at the outset by Pikiell. But, it is not a failure. Maybe they make NCAA, but if not they will be NIT bound, which is still post season. Team has not given up and has played hard. Players have developed. Team has progressed after a decade plus of being down (there were some promising times during Waters era). The key for Pikiell will be to reflect and adjust in offseason to continue growth of program and himself. He has to hit portal hard to find outside shooting, understand that is just as important as the great defense he demands and gets, and understand how to temper expectations. He has raised expectations of the program, which is another big plus, and now its time to continue building on that.

Last edited:
Agreed- not a failure. Disappointment might be a better characterization given how the team was positioned at the outset by Pikiell. But, it is not a failure. Maybe they make NCAA, but if not they will be NIT bound, which is still post season. Team has not given up and has played hard. Players have developed. Team has progressed after a decade plus of being down (there were some promising times during Waters era). The key for Pikiell will be to reflect and adjust in offseason to continue growth of program and himself. Hey has to hit portal hard to find outside shooting and understand how to temper expectations. He has raised expectations of the program, which is another big plus, and now its time to continue building on that.

Great post. My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Rutgers has one of the most experienced teams in the Big Ten which Coach Pikiell has said was his best team during his tenure at Rutgers.The team had a 10-5 record legaue record which has now regressed to 10-8 with two games remaining.NCAA selection is in question .Fans can say the season hasn't been a failure but not getting a NCAA bid can't be viewed as a successful season.

I disagree with this. We can finish in the top 7 of the league and not get in this year because we screwed the beginning of the season. On most years, your scenario is possible but not a guarantee.

Reactions: 60au9
I think the coaches and every member of the team would call missing the NCAA's this year a "failure".

Very early in the season, you could see how tough they made the road ahead of them. In some ways, the very idea that they fought back solidly onto the bubble, despite the odds.... that was worthy of respect and admiration.. but that does not, a season, make.

Reactions: Rutgers56 and SBP
I disagree with this. We can finish in the top 7 of the league and not get in this year because we screwed the beginning of the season. On most years, your scenario is possible but not a guarantee.
you are correct. especially since last year the Big Ten had a lot of bids and severely underperformed in the tourney. and early season this year the Big Ten failed in its matchups with the Big East.. despite NET ranking numbers, things like this will creep into the selection process. if they can take fewer than half the Big Ten teams and justify it, they might very well do that. IIRC, last time I checked the committee members associations in prior years, there are fewer P5s than non-P5s on the selection committee. And P5 members do not discuss or vote-on the schools from their conferences.

Reactions: Rhuarc
You gotta give our fans/alums credit -- they can spin ANYTHING :D

Missing the tournament would be a failure.

Missing the tournament and Cliff leaving would be the nightmare scenario.

Don’t think either can be argued when you look at where this team was a year ago.

If they don’t make it, it IS a disappointment for a team with 4 returning VETS as starters. A failure? They would have FAILED to make the tourney, so yes. The bar is higher now. Anything less is not acceptable anymore.

That said, I feel they will get it done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT