ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts

He was never going to see much of the field in year one . His body is just not ready yet. The plan was to always red shirt him. Not sure where some of the info comes from .
I know this,
I’m simply repeating the information that Al jumped up and down screaming in the preseason. I was never under the delusion that a 3* wr whose next biggest offer was Richmond was ever going to come in and be ‘instant impact’.

Now the kid could turn into something, that’s tbd, I’m just stating what Al wouldn’t shut up about last year as he’s back at it again proclaiming literal high schoolers as the answer for next year

I agree with this post. @bac2therac you can't have it both ways. When we have players that allow us to open up the offense, the coaching staff will do it. Otherwise, you get what we had with Gleeson, and you lose a game to Nebraska you had no business losing. I don't see us making the same mistake in this Iowa game. PS - look forward to your recap of tonight's Princeton game. :)

But will we open up the offense?
That is my main concern.
We’ve shown no interest this year (one of the most heavily run based offenses in the country).

It’s written off “well we can’t pass. Offense we need to run to win. Next year……”

Is next year magically going to be different players or schemes?

It would be encouraging if we used these last couple of games to experiment since we are already bowl eligible.
Not wait until we are losing and need a comeback to start opening up the offense and passing more.

But will we open up the offense?
That is my main concern.
We’ve shown no interest this year (one of the most heavily run based offenses in the country).

It’s written off “well we can’t pass. Offense we need to run to win. Next year……”

Is next year magically going to be different players or schemes?

It would be encouraging if we used these last couple of games to experiment since we are already bowl eligible.
Not wait until we are losing and need a comeback to start opening up the offense and passing more.

There’s nothing to experiment with. We don’t have a QB who can throw consistently. His percentage completion is good for national worse. Why would we throw more? That would make no sense at all.

There’s nothing to experiment with. We don’t have a QB who can throw consistently. His percentage completion is good for national worse. Why would we throw more? That would make no sense at all.

So then how does he get better or improve his accuracy?
If not through just keep throwing?
Development has to come from somewhere doesnt it?

Or is the answer it'll never improve?
Then start giving Sheppard reps and see how he can get a jump start on next year maybe.

I know this,
I’m simply repeating the information that Al jumped up and down screaming in the preseason. I was never under the delusion that a 3* wr whose next biggest offer was Richmond was ever going to come in and be ‘instant impact’.

Now the kid could turn into something, that’s tbd, I’m just stating what Al wouldn’t shut up about last year as he’s back at it again proclaiming literal high schoolers as the answer for next year
Yes , I was referring to Al thinking that somehow .

Then start giving Sheppard reps and see how he can get a jump start on next year maybe.
napoleon dynamite GIF

It’s not that simple. Gavin does other things. He protects the football. He’s a fairly smart runner. No coach would throw a rookie out there with a 6-3 team if they think they can win with what they have. But no, I’m not particularly confident that Gavin will ever be an accurate passer. Worst completion rate in all FBS playing on a team with a pretty good OL is, well, not good at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT