ADVERTISEMENT

Tidbits from Court Club Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
EJ is not Pikiell. I think Steve is much more honest (and aware) in talent evaluations.

He's not, but I'm sure he's also not immune to excesses of positivity when talking about players who haven't even made it to campus yet. And as we've seen from other players, sometimes positives seen in practice don't translate to live games.

Either way - all great things to hear. Hope Sanders comes back to really help these guys get traction.

Does Princeton demand a home and home like the Academies do for Football? If that’s the case I can maybe see Coach’s point.

I’m also in agreement with him with regard to Monmouth, unless the game is at the RAC. No reason IMO to play anybody in NJ (aside from shoe and Princeton) away.

Really interested to hear more about people's thoughts on the renderings of the practice facility. One person mentioned no walkway/connection to the RAC? That's news and unsure if that's terrible or just whatever. What other features, finishes, etc did the renderings show ?!

Ej also said Jonathan Laurent was nba ready, lol. Lots of positive feedback from Pikiell. As far as athleticism, I don’t think anyone will top Sanders for quite some time.

He said Junior Etou was an NBA player....not Laurent.

Reactions: phlop87
Thought the song went " Don't know much about history...Don't much about biology...but I do know.......

Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book,
Don't know much about the French I took
But I do know that I love you,
And I know that if you love me, too,
What a wonderful world this would be

Reactions: MOBFreehold
I remember when Mike Rice said Greg Lewis was going to be a monster for RU by the time he was a junior. That never happened but I do hope that Johnson can score and is better than any of our current centers.

As for Princeton, they do not play games in the 40's and 50's anymore. They play much more up tempo. I would rather play them than Hartford or CCNY or Central Connecticut etc. as someone said we have had many fans to go to Princeton when we play there. I would prefer we get 2 home games for 1 at Princeton but I don't object to playing them again. I think playing them puts more juice in an OOC game than playing a small school from out of state. If we should play Monmouth in the future it should be a 2 or 3 at home for a game at Monmouth. Somehow I think we are on a better up tick than either Princeton or Monmouth. I hope we keep NJIT and FDU on the schedule as those are usually RU home games. I think it is better playing a few teams from NJ than the ones above or Coppin State, Bryant etc.

Reactions: Hondo77
Princeton needs to be on the schedule for the historical continuity. A pair of 250 year old universities in the same state, played the first college football game, have played hoops against each other since the beginning of hoops.... Not everything is about today. And the other arguments that have been laid out are compelling too. This is disappointing.

As for Princeton, they do not play games in the 40's and 50's anymore. They play much more up tempo. I would rather play them than Hartford or CCNY or Central Connecticut etc. as someone said we have had many fans to go to Princeton when we play there. I would prefer we get 2 home games for 1 at Princeton but I don't object to playing them again. I think playing them puts more juice in an OOC game than playing a small school from out of state. If we should play Monmouth in the future it should be a 2 or 3 at home for a game at Monmouth. Somehow I think we are on a better up tick than either Princeton or Monmouth. I hope we keep NJIT and FDU on the schedule as those are usually RU home games. I think it is better playing a few teams from NJ than the ones above or Coppin State, Bryant etc.
This on your first part regarding Princeton. But not Monmouth...everybody else besides shoe and the Tigers should be at the RAC.
Princeton needs to be on the schedule for the historical continuity. A pair of 250 year old universities in the same state, played the first college football game, have played hoops against each other since the beginning of hoops.... Not everything is about today. And the other arguments that have been laid out are compelling too. This is disappointing.
This too.

And as I said earlier, have no problem with a home and home with them for a lot of the reasons already mentioned.

I looked back through the media guide to find the Div-I teams we have the most history with. Princeton leads the list with 120 games, the last being in 2013.

Overall, there are 31 Div-I programs that we've played at least 20 times... and we've played 19 of them since 2012.

The others... (# of games, team, last year played)
115 Lafayette (2007)
104 Lehigh (2008)
48 UMass (2009... and playing them next year)
48 Columbia (2002)
47 Delaware (2008)
41 Rhode Island (2005)
39 St. Bonaventure (2008)
37 Colgate (2009)
35 Duquesne (1995)
34 St. Joseph's (2010)
30 Bucknell (2000)
27 Navy (1976)

Wonder why we haven't played Duquesne in 23 years or Navy in 42(!) years.

I looked back through the media guide to find the Div-I teams we have the most history with. Princeton leads the list with 120 games, the last being in 2013.

Overall, there are 31 Div-I programs that we've played at least 20 times... and we've played 19 of them since 2012.

The others... (# of games, team, last year played)
115 Lafayette (2007)
104 Lehigh (2008)
48 UMass (2009... and playing them next year)
48 Columbia (2002)
47 Delaware (2008)
41 Rhode Island (2005)
39 St. Bonaventure (2008)
37 Colgate (2009)
35 Duquesne (1995)
34 St. Joseph's (2010)
30 Bucknell (2000)
27 Navy (1976)

Wonder why we haven't played Duquesne in 23 years or Navy in 42(!) years.
Duquesne was in the Eastern 8/Atlantic 10 so we had to play them a bunch for about a 20 year period. No reason to play after we joined the Big East not to mention playing Pitt instead.

Duquesne was in the Eastern 8/Atlantic 10 so we had to play them a bunch for about a 20 year period. No reason to play after we joined the Big East not to mention playing Pitt instead.
Duquesne had great teams in my youth. The amazing Sihugo Green played at Duquesne. This article talks about Duquesne’s glory days ... but of course the last sentence includes a downer mention of a Duquesne/ Rutgers game played in front of a sparse crowd.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-02-19/sports/sp-29789_1_duquesne-dukes

Regarding Princeton and Monmouth...No home and homes...ever.

Our place or no place. If we never played either again, I'd be just fine with it

Monmouth and Princeton don’t belong in the same sentence (except as Revolutionary War battles). We have no history with Monmouth; Princeton is deeply ingrained in our history.

Last edited:
Monmouth and Princeton don’t belong in the same sentence (except as Revolutionary War battles). We have no history with Monmouth; Princeton is deeply ingrained in our history.
Beating Princeton is the same as beating East Carolina.

Play them every year...just do it at the RAC. Or not! Don't get this obsession with a tradition that vanished years ago. Other than seeing my man Brett Mac more often, there's nothing in playing PU we can't get from beating (insert your choice here)

Play them every year...just do it at the RAC. Or not! Don't get this obsession with a tradition that vanished years ago. Other than seeing my man Brett Mac more often, there's nothing in playing PU we can't get from beating (insert your choice here)
When it comes to college basketball, I'm a romantic.

Also, this...

I think it is unreasonable to expect Princeton to commit to continue a series against Rutgers unless it’s 1 for 1 home versus away.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
My feeling is that if you are going to schedule a road game why not schedule one a few miles down the road where the home team has no home court advantage, has a respected name but we should win if we have our stuff together. If we're saying that with a 20 game conference schedule and potential road contests against Seton Hall, Big East and ACC teams that non-conference road games are a thing of the past, then fine, no road games. But I'd still rather play Princeton than Stony Brook or Hartford. It's embarrassing to be ducking them. This is Princeton we're talking about. Not Monmouth or St. Peter's. Some people do care or it wouldn't keep coming up. I don't agree that Princeton would demand a 1 to 1 home and home series. If you've seen their recent schedules, they have virtually no out of conference home games and I think they would definitely travel to RU without a guaranteed return trip each time.

Last edited:
Princeton believes they should be getting a home and home....I would play them 2 or 3 for 1 if they are interested in doing so, but at the end of the day, it's a game where the Ivy's are always sharper early in the OOC.

Also would not mind playing them at Princeton since it would be a good RU contingent there, especially if RU gets things cooking....

All good items associated with Court Club meetings.

The East Carolina reference is absurd. We played Princeton regularly forever including in recent years. We have no basketball tradition that doesn’t include them. The best thing about college sports is the tradition; that’s why most college sports fans are fans. And don’t tell me what to get “obsessed” about.

Last edited:
The East Carolina reference is absurd. We played Princeton regularly forever including in recent years. We have no basketball tradition that doesn’t include them. The best thing about college sports is the tradition; that’s why most college sports fans are fans. And don’t tell me what to get “obsessed” about.
No reason to get your panties in a twist my friend...But how can this so called tradition be so far off the radar, years forgotten, yet still be held in a mysterious shroud of reverence?

The game has changed guys...playing Princeton has the same impact as would playing a mid level AAC or Conference USA program. They have no leverage to demand home and homes with BIG TEN programs. Play em every year...at the RAC. If that's not good enough for the Tigers, this so called tradition isn't really that important after all.

I consider myself a pretty hardcore college hoops fan, and have been a Rutgers fan for 30 years. Never once did a PU game rev me up beyond caring about winning or losing.

Last time...play them every year as a pay for play opponent at the RAC if that does something for somebody. Never at Jadwin, ever.

Reactions: TRU2RU and AD888
Anything on recruiting for ‘18 or ‘19?
Pike and Staff are recruiting their asses off. They can't speak directly about it. Nothing was said during the meeting but I still think there' ll be minimally 2 additional schollies for the 2018/19 season due to transfers; kids leaving early etc. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: RUJMM78
No reason to get your panties in a twist my friend...But how can this so called tradition be so far off the radar, years forgotten, yet still be held in a mysterious shroud of reverence?

The game has changed guys...playing Princeton has the same impact as would playing a mid level AAC or Conference USA program. They have no leverage to demand home and homes with BIG TEN programs. Play em every year...at the RAC. If that's not good enough for the Tigers, this so called tradition isn't really that important after all.

I consider myself a pretty hardcore college hoops fan, and have been a Rutgers fan for 30 years. Never once did a PU game rev me up beyond caring about winning or losing.

Last time...play them every year as a pay for play opponent at the RAC if that does something for somebody. Never at Jadwin, ever.

I’m sorry, you’re a moderator and you tell me i’m “obsessed” and “shouldn’t get my panties in a twist” just because I disagree with you! Wow, is it the moderator’s job to insult and inflame? I wouldn’t have thought that was part of it.

I go back 45 years, and this is about the last rival we had that meant anything. And there is a broader context here that goes to the long relationship of the universities. And Jadwin is a very nice place to see a game.

Reactions: Hondo77
Should be a recurring five-year series with Princeton, three at home and two away. Playing at Princeton is inarguably a better option than playing a team like Central Connecticut at home. It's better for fans and the team.

i remember the two games in 1976 very well and they almost knocked us out in the first round. My brother in law played for Pete Carril at Reading High School and later Princeton. Mostly a bench warmer, but Princeton series is important to me.

Reactions: Hondo77 and Unionst
Anything on recruiting for ‘18 or ‘19?

Nothing specific but he said they had a visitor on campus this week and that Pikes was in Virginia recruiting this week as well. He didn’t say the name but the VA recruit was Hyatt. Also, per Twitter, Rutgers went to see 2020 recruit Elijah Wood last night.

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT