ADVERTISEMENT

Time to agree on the QB situation

In his first go round, Schiano was playing a defensive back who didn’t belong on the field. He was horrible. When Schiano was asked why he was playing him, his response was “he’s the best we got.” That is why Gavin is playing……not that he is good, but he is the best we got.
These fans won’t accept that answer. They keep pouncing this subject until they try another QB even when he’s not the best we have Or they hate themselves as much as Shelby.

OTOH…Looks like Ohio State’s QB recruiting has slipped quite a bit from Urban’s glory days.
How many games would Gavin had won at Ohio State this season? Do they beat Missouri with GW?
Pre-coffee tangent #2…First I had seen of that DII running back Missouri has. I’m guessing his physical measurables aren’t eye-popping but he seems legit once the ball is snapped.

It can only be explained to you so many times.
You did not. Brother ? NIL issue ? Distraction is not the answer.

And frankly, the season celebration rationale disqualifies you from all input on this.

These fans won’t accept that answer. They keep pouncing this subject until they try another QB even when he’s not the best we have Or they hate themselves as much as Shelby.
I don’t dispute that GW is the best we had this year for Schiano’s philosophy. What I don’t agree with is the idea that GW should be anointed the starter without any challenge in 2024.

Even people here who are convinced AM already committed think GW should be the starter next year.

And my point remains, Schiano probably believes that too…so why would AM come here for a sham competition and to be a backup to the lowest ranked passer in CFB ?

That’s the crux of my reason why AM isn’t coming. The QB1 decision has already been made.

Last edited:
I don’t dispute that GW is the best we had this year for Schiano’s philosophy. What I don’t agree with is the idea that GW should be anointed the starter without any challenge in 2024.

Even people here who are convinced AM already committed think GW should be the starter next year.

And my point remains, Schiano probably believes that too…so why would AM come here for a sham competition and to be a backup to the lowest ranked passer in CFB ?

That’s the crux of my reason why AM isn’t coming. The QB1 decision has already been made.
That goes against everything GS has ever said about preparing his defense for an opponent.
GS is a master at defending one dimensional teams, he struggles mightily against teams who employ deception and no predictably.
Iowa, a statistically poor offensive team confused us to the tune of 400 total yards by keeping us totally off balance and confused.

Reactions: Zimm80
That goes against everything GS has ever said about preparing his defense for an opponent.
GS is a master at defending one dimensional teams, he struggles mightily against teams who employ deception and no predictably.

Well we are one of the most one dimensional teams in the country currently.

We ran the ball 61.92% of the time.
8th most in the country.
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/rushing-play-pct

Was this by choice or out of necessity?
We'll see. If by necessity, then what actions are the staff taking to not run the ball heavily next year?

If by necessity then the only solution is develop Gavin (which coincidentally hindered by being so run heavy) or replace the QB with someone already more developed.

If they choice (my personal assumption), then as you said - being so one dimensional isn't an ideal philosophy.

Reactions: Shelby65
Iowa, a statistically poor offensive team confused us to the tune of 400 total yards by keeping us totally off balance and confused.
So then why was his own offense one dimensional ? Seems pretty obvious it was by design given who the QB1 choice was.

Do you think there’s a real QB competition next year ?

Reactions: tico brown
So then why was his own offense one dimensional ? Seems pretty obvious it was by design given who the QB1 choice was.

Because we couldn’t be anything but one dimensional given who the QB was….it also gave us the best chance to win given the personnel

I disagree with your assertion GS has his mind made up about QB 1.
Gavin is the starter at the position until he is supplanted by someone better, at which time GS would play the better player… of that I have no doubt.
The kid from Minnesota if he comes will need to beat Gavin out, they will not be starting even…imo

Last edited:
LOL. You've done absolutely nothing, beyond speculate, to show there wasn’t a real qb competition this year, that GW won easily.

The only thing we can be relatively certain about next year is that all your speculation then will be aimed at attacking whatever GS does. Same as this year. 😀

Reactions: csphi
Because we couldn’t be anything but one dimensional given who the QB was.
I’m not usually a ‘the backup is better’ guy, but in this case i can’t see how Simon wouldn’t have been a clear upgrade, especially re: balance is important.

So, it seems Schiano didn’t follow his own keys
Gavin is the starter at the position until he is supplanted by someone better, at which time GS would play the better player… of that I have no doubt.
The kid from Minnesota if he comes will need to beat Gavin out, they will not be starting even…imo

Because we couldn’t be anything but one dimensional given who the QB was.

Exactly. To suggest anything else is so lacking in logic it‘s silly.

Reactions: csphi
No that's RU coaching.

Kirk Ciarrocca told TV crew that QB year one was for memorization, year two was for familiarity and year three was for mastery.

GW cant make people happy.
Kid scores two TDs on goal yesterday and people are crying about yardage.
One yard is hard on goal and RU red zone sucks for years.
I've seen Mongo stuffed on goal.
Finally the coaches do something innovative (push) and scored TDs and people aren't happy.
Then on the other hand the same people call a 5yr WR with 500 career yds and 3 TDs "just like Wayne Chrebet" (who once had 5 TDs in one game, 16 in a season and 31 for career @ Hofstra).
Truth is RUs receiving corps was expected to be weak in 2023 and it was - like the little kids table at Thanksgiving while other B1G team WRs are feasting like Henry VIII.
Did Captain Kirk say which year was for accuracy? That is GW's main problem, more so than mastering the playbook and knowing where to go with the ball.

Because we couldn’t be anything but one dimensional given who the QB was….it also gave us the best chance to win given the personnel

Wonder if that’s the reason he hasn’t committed

Reactions: Shelby65
GS moved Leonard from RB to give Rice the ball.
I have no doubt that he could move another player to starting QB.
That said, he is more committed to QB stability than other spots.
Unlike some posters here, he's not going to pull a QB for throwing a sloppy ball in 1st Q.
QB controversies are worse than other spots by far and Greg had enough of one in 2010

Reactions: PaKnight
GS moved Leonard from RB to give Rice the ball.
I have no doubt that he could move another player to starting QB.
That said, he is more committed to QB stability than other spots.
Unlike some posters here, he's not going to pull a QB for throwing a sloppy ball in 1st Q.
QB controversies are worse than other spots by far and Greg had enough of one in 2010
He also went back and forth in 2011 with Dodd and Nova, but I agree that he prefers having one guy at QB.

Reactions: ashokan
You did not. Brother ? NIL issue ? Distraction is not the answer.

And frankly, the season celebration rationale disqualifies you from all input on this.
We will see. Lets just see if after weeks of nonsense you own it

Suddenly it’s perfectly acceptable to want a different qb than GW. Yet it was "anti-Rutgers" just weeks ago. Weird
Straw man argument. It has never been anti-Rutgers to want a different QB than GW. Or any other QB.

I cannot recall a time when a sizable portion of our online community didn’t insist that our QB wasn’t good enough and a backup or someone else would be better. Certainly many went into this season thinking GW should be replaced.

1.) not quick , doesn’t not get the small but highly effective 5-6 yard scramble out of trouble
2.) not quick making decision to run getting those killer 10-15 yard runs
3.) never never keeps it. Ok he kept it a few times and one was a 80 yard TD vs Indiana. Why doesn’t he keep it more , for 100th time power sweeps are not the same as RPO keepers
4.) zero down field accuracy , all we run is the same dam slant play. Far too many over throws and balls too low. Several big plays missed cause he can’t hit WR in stride. When he hit the slow and too small Dremel in stride , that too slow WR outran Michigan's entire secondary for a 75 yard TD
5.) missed 2 10-15 yard wide open WR vs Ohio st
6.) over threw strong , under threw Washington , both had steps on DB at Penn st
7.) can’t have 90-100 yards passing and half is RB swing passes or 5 yard outs were WR breaks 3 tackles to get 20 yards. . Dremel took 5 yard out and broke a tackle and rugby scrummed his way to a 23 yard gain. That’s 23 of GW’s 84 for the entire game

Positives

Play of year , not talked about

Gavin got absolutely destroyed vs MSU on a blitz and was strong/tough enough to hold onto ball

Great touch on pass to Washington for TD vs MSU. But you can hear Millen on live broadcast yell “he’s open throw it !” Player in flat was at 3 yard line wide open

8-14 84 yards doesn’t work if you want 9-3

Team has huge potential next year and the QB WILL be the difference between 6-6 to 9-3

I want to win

Gavin starts next year I will cheer hard as hell for him !!!

But there has to be clear and obvious improvements

Correct me it I'm wrong but I think there have been anti GW threads/posts pretty much throughout the entire season.
mostly once BIG play started but they have been here. That said, there WAS a very loud and obnoxious group that tried to bully, shout down, and demean anyone that wasn't on board with him as being anti Greg and/or anti Rutgers. Same stuff we heard when going after Ash early.

I'll be glad when he is gone, need a Walsh moment here at RU

Reactions: TheKnightclub
He can’t play for GS if he wants a guarantee.
If he was obviously better, GS would still tell him I want you and expect you to beat out the incumbent, but you’ve got to compete.
agree in principle but after this year, I cannot be sold that Greg doesn't provide 'cover' or 'guarantees' I'm in awe Greg never even considered going to anyone else (by his own admission)

He can’t play for GS if he wants a guarantee.
If he was obviously better, GS would still tell him I want you and expect you to beat out the incumbent, but you’ve got to compete.
I agree and I think he would commit if those were the honest offer terms.

But Isn’t it possible during the visit that Schiano was only angling for a no-NIL backup since he has a relationship with Kirk after Fleck showed him the Golden Gopher exit door ?

yes we will. I own my predictions. I’d think with every passing day the silent verbal theory becomes less likely, right ?
Not at all. Makes it even more likely. No other visits, no chatter on other boards, no it’s not happening from the mods. He needs to be enrolled before school starts. For some that’s like a week away

Not at all. Makes it even more likely. No other visits, no chatter on other boards, no it’s not happening from the mods. He needs to be enrolled before school starts. For some that’s like a week away
Secret enroll too ? Is that another vk gem ? As you were asked and did not answer, if the silent verbal protects against distractions and/or protects GWs feelings, don’t you think the visit actually causes those problems ? Why not a visit after the bowl instead ?

Secret enroll too ? Is that another vk gem ? As you were asked and did not answer, if the silent verbal protects against distractions and/or protects GWs feelings, don’t you think the visit actually causes those problems ? Why not a visit after the bowl instead ?
This must be what’s it’s like to teach special education. Wimsatt knows he’s coming. It’s not about Wimsatt. It was about letting this team finish their year as this team. Same reason why a bunch of guys who never played waited until today to enter the portal. You think they all just woke up
Today and said maybe this isn’t working.

Reactions: rutgersdave

Ready for this "conspiracy":

The reason Wimsatt made the announcement last Sunday (Xmas eve) that he was returning is because HC Schiano told him AM (nor any other QB) would not be transferring in.......

Reactions: bitnez and Shelby65
Ready for this "conspiracy":

The reason Wimsatt made the announcement last Sunday (Xmas eve) that he was returning is because HC Schiano told him AM (nor any other QB) would not be
Or he was told his QB1 role is safe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT