ADVERTISEMENT

Time to agree on the QB situation

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
I have been supportive of the GW situation all season thinking that he just needed more time to develop into a serviceable passer. Well, he did start 3 for 3 with sensible passes early on, but the rest of it was just poor. Had it not been for Kyle running all over the Miami D, we would have lost that game to a team using its third string QB who outperformed Gavin. He rushed 9 times for 9 yards!
Next season is going to be a lot tougher than many expect even though we will not be seeing our usual tormentors in OSU, Mich. and PSU. The newbies are solid and we are seeing quite a few BIG teams looking pretty good too in their bowl games so far.
Schiano and company have to make what looks like a tough decision to find someone who can keep defenses, at least, reasonably honest having to defend against a passer. We will not go far just trying to run, run, run. If this was a springboard season, it needs to be followed up with another winning one.
Barring some kind of miracle, I just don't see us moving forward behind Gavin.

I have been supportive of the GW situation all season thinking that he just needed more time to develop into a serviceable passer. Well, he did start 3 for 3 with sensible passes early on, but the rest of it was just poor. Had it not been for Kyle running all over the Miami D, we would have lost that game to a team using its third string QB who outperformed Gavin. He rushed 9 times for 9 yards!
Next season is going to be a lot tougher than many expect even though we will not be seeing our usual tormentors in OSU, Mich. and PSU. The newbies are solid and we are seeing quite a few BIG teams looking pretty good too in their bowl games so far.
Schiano and company have to make what looks like a tough decision to find someone who can keep defenses, at least, reasonably honest having to defend against a passer. We will not go far just trying to run, run, run. If this was a springboard season, it needs to be followed up with another winning one.

Little unfair with that 9 rushes for 9 yards. IIRC at least 4 were on the 1 yard line, 2 of which ended up as TDs. Also, the more carries KM gets the fewer GW gets because he's handing off rather than keeping it and running himself.

Reactions: eddynyse
Your silent verbal again, huh ? Hope you are right but Odds against it. Protecting GW’s psyche for the bowl game made no sense.

If his feelings would have been hurt, how much worse could he have played ?
I feel bad for your wife. You must be the most pig headed guy in Pa. Again, it wasn’t about protecting Gavin. It was about celebrating this team and it’s season

The decision has already been made. Just a handful of people here can’t see it
I realized a while ago that nothing would be announced prior to the bowl game.
I can't possibly believe that the coaching staff would keep running GW out there when they had a better option. I also can't believe that they don't realize what next season could be with a real passing threat.
The fact that we had a portal qb visiting had to tell you all you needed to know.

I realized a while ago that nothing would be announced prior to the bowl game.
I can't possibly believe that the coaching staff would keep running GW out there when they had a better option. I also can't believe that they don't realize what next season could be with a real passing threat.
The fact that we had a portal qb visiting had to tell you all you needed to know.
This!!!

Its an odd situation.

Obviously there's been a glitch with accuracy but Greg swears its not a problem in practice, and that GW just needs more in-game polish. I think that's possible because (to me) Gavin still looks a little immature physically. He's gangly and people like that can take to 21-22 to begin to hit their stride. Everyone seems to know that (neurologically) brains take to around 21 to jell and the same can be true physically.

Its also peculiar that RU gets a dual threat QB and he is kept back from running even when the field is open for big chunks. Game after game I hear the football savvy announcers say Gavin should be running more but then he doesn't. I know that's a sideline call. When Wimsatt gets a little space and hits his stride he really gallops.

It would help everyone's running and passing if RU had a real downfield receiving threat - a big/fast WR that can jump and catch the gnarly passes the way Sanu could. RU needs better yards after catches as well. Too many receptions with players stopped in their tracks or falling down. Gavin is built to over-sling passes, and the longer the passes the more accurate he can be. He just needs to get the passes lower. Do that with better WRs and good things could happen imo

BE PATIENT WITH TALL YOUNG ATHLETES
https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/c344-1899378/BE_PATIENT_WITH_TALL_YOUNG_ATHLETES.pdf

Its an odd situation.

Obviously there's been a glitch with accuracy but Greg swears its not a problem in practice

Greg damning Gavin with faint praise? There aren’t many ways to put a positive spin on he can do it in practice but not in a game.

Reactions: socaldave
I think we can agree that it would be great if Gavin really developed during the offseason and started next year as a good passer.
And if he doesn't, next man up.
I'll go with the hope of Wimsatt getting it together and he proves to be everything RU fans hoped he'd be when he chose to be a Scarlet Knight.
I'll just put it as: Gavin despite his talents just couldn't show it because he had trouble grasping what he needed to do to bring all his talent out .
But, finally, this offseason he figured everything out and will make us proud in 2024.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Greg damning Gavin with faint praise? There aren’t many ways to put a positive spin on he can do it in practice but not in a game.

Part of the mystery is that GW had offers from top passing teams who knew QBs.
Oregon and Kelly's ND weren't the usual Temple and Syracuse.
What did they see and how would they have developed player?
Their WRs would have been huge upgrade
I've never had great confidence in RUs QB cultivation

Another funny thing about GW is that he only took (according to Rivals) 2 visits to teams recruiting him - both to Rutgers and both AFTER he had committed. These days its not unusual to see guys taking 20-30 trips (some teams visited 4-6 times). GW is probably too laid back and "please be safe!" Momma Schiano can keep a QB in a shell imo.

If we had a WR like Restrepo or Horton we do not have any of these conversations about GW. We have one elite player on our offense and the rest are B players or below.

I have said this before, we do not have a player that is going to elevate other players on the offense. If we have an elite QB he makes our mid level WR room and bad TE room look better and vice versa. But we do not.

Next year the TE and WR room gets better and the QB room should grow. If GW can not be successful with the upgrades at TE and WR next year then we know where his development is.

Who is the improved TE coming in?

It’s true the WRs get little separation leaving small to no windows for the QB to throw. They also don’t make contested catches.

Reactions: RU at the shore
Who is the improved TE coming in?

It’s true the WRs get little separation leaving small to no windows for the QB to throw. They also don’t make contested catches.
The early admit we have coming is an elite pass catching TE. I also would not be shocked to see Strong move to play the TE spot. I am also hoping Blake can make a big jump next year.

We also have two other TEs in the 2024 class.......Monte Keener and Matthew Ogunniyi.
Although at 6'6" 215 and 6'5" 200 respectively they'll probably both need at least a year in the weight room.

Reactions: rucoe89 and gef21
May the best QB on the team as determined by the staff be named the starter next year in summer camp.

Little unfair with that 9 rushes for 9 yards. IIRC at least 4 were on the 1 yard line, 2 of which ended up as TDs. Also, the more carries KM gets the fewer GW gets because he's handing off rather than keeping it and running himself.
As bad as Wimsatt’s passing is, you’d think that he would be able to run the ball like the old Pat White, Michael Vick, Eric Crouch type QBs. I don’t think having going 9-9 yards, 2 TDs with half of those carries being the Tush Push/ Scarlett Shove runs was what people were hoping for.

Even more amazing on how great of a season KM and the Offensive Line had in 2023.

Hopefully GW use this season to improve to catch up with the run game or Sheppard/ Surace/ Transfer steps up and take over.

I would take the Miami QB

lol, stop with this as he ran other times for nothing. Also, on the goal line, he's awful as the ball carrier and seemingly doesn't understand that the ball needs to cross the line. He tucks it way in so more of his body needs to cross

either he's poorly coached, has no awareness for the game, or isn't very bright as this is certainly not a difficult construct for any player.

By all accounts he's a great kid and the team likes him. I think that is wonderful but it's way way past the time to drop him from the team and use that spot for someone that will help us.

Reactions: Zimm80 and RUaMoose
As bad as Wimsatt’s passing is, you’d think that he would be able to run the ball like the old Pat White, Michael Vick, Eric Crouch type QBs. I don’t think having going 9-9 yards, 2 TDs with half of those carries being the Tush Push/ Scarlett Shove runs was what people were hoping for.

Even more amazing on how great of a season KM and the Offensive Line had in 2023.

Hopefully GW use this season to improve to catch up with the run game or Sheppard/ Surace/ Transfer steps up and take over.
speaking of Shep, travesty he wasn't given any reps. I hope he transfers so he gets an opportunity

Reactions: tico brown
May the best QB on the team as determined by the staff be named the starter next year in summer camp.
the best qb on the team left for Temple so not sure how much faith we have in the staff with respect to qbs. History isn't kind to Greg here

Reactions: RUShea
the best qb on the team left for Temple so not sure how much faith we have in the staff with respect to qbs. History isn't kind to Greg here

You and I will agree to disagree. I'm not enamored with Wimsatt, I hope we do get the transfer from Minny, and I really want to see both Sheppard and Surace develop.

in a heartbeat and said as much on the other board. He looked good and that was his first start. He outplayed our own boy wonder by a wide margin
I thought their QB looked solid but not anything special. His first, first down throw was terrible and his WR made him look good by making an insane catch. The first TD was a beautiful route run by the WR.

Two elite WRs made a decent QB look better.

His best thrown routes were back shoulder come back routes. Which he put in good spots. He had some nice escapes, but struggled to read the vertical when we didnt bring heat. Got sacked twice because he had no pocket awareness. His INT was bad.

I am not saying GW is better, but the Miami situation proves my point. Get some elite pass catchers and they make a QB look a lot better quickly.

Nice try.

You and I will agree to disagree. I'm not enamored with Wimsatt, I hope we do get the transfer from Minny, and I really want to see both Sheppard and Surace develop.
I want them to develop as well but I also think the back ups have gotten the raw end of the deal. Whether you agree or not, there isn't anyone with any fundamental understanding of this game that can give sound reason or even fathom how greg doesn't get reps for the understudies.

Shep should definitely leave, he'll never play qb here and if that is what he wants, he needs to do it elsewhere. Plenty of opportunities that presented itself this year for Simon and Shep to get some reps to no avail

and I've said this before and I'll say it again, Simon blew Gav's doors off in HS against better comp. Watching Gav and Greg's handling of the qbs is utterly mind blowing. Has nothing to do with like or dislike of the players or coaches and to do with the development for the betterment of the team overall

Last edited:
Reactions: Zimm80 and RUShea
I want them to develop as well but I also think the back ups have gotten the raw end of the deal. Whether you agree or not, there isn't anyone with any fundamental understanding of this game that cannot give sound reason or even fathom how greg doesn't get reps for the understudies.

Shep should definitely leave, he'll never play qb here and if that is what he wants, he needs to do it elsewhere. Plenty of opportunities that presented itself this year for Simon and Shep to get some reps to no avail

and I've said this before and I'll say it again, Simon blew Gav's doors off in HS against better comp. Watching Gav and Greg's handling of the qbs is utterly mind blowing. Has nothing to do with like or dislike of the players or coaches and to do with the development for the betterment of the team overall
Do you not think they get reps in practice? Serious question.

Reactions: Kbee3
Not unfair. He gets many more tds because they use him on the goal line almost exclusively.

If we had a WR like Restrepo or Horton we do not have any of these conversations about GW. We have one elite player on our offense and the rest are B players or below.

I have said this before, we do not have a player that is going to elevate other players on the offense. If we have an elite QB he makes our mid level WR room and bad TE room look better and vice versa. But we do not.

Next year the TE and WR room gets better and the QB room should grow. If GW can not be successful with the upgrades at TE and WR next year then we know where his development is.
Received this year were big dropping catchable balls. They can't turn around in stride and catch balls behind them or in the dirt.

WRs this year were not a pain point
Getting a ball to them in 8n stride was

Its an odd situation.

Obviously there's been a glitch with accuracy but Greg swears its not a problem in practice, and that GW just needs more in-game polish. I think that's possible because (to me) Gavin still looks a little immature physically. He's gangly and people like that can take to 21-22 to begin to hit their stride. Everyone seems to know that (neurologically) brains take to around 21 to jell and the same can be true physically.

Its also peculiar that RU gets a dual threat QB and he is kept back from running even when the field is open for big chunks. Game after game I hear the football savvy announcers say Gavin should be running more but then he doesn't. I know that's a sideline call. When Wimsatt gets a little space and hits his stride he really gallops.

It would help everyone's running and passing if RU had a real downfield receiving threat - a big/fast WR that can jump and catch the gnarly passes the way Sanu could. RU needs better yards after catches as well. Too many receptions with players stopped in their tracks or falling down. Gavin is built to over-sling passes, and the longer the passes the more accurate he can be. He just needs to get the passes lower. Do that with better WRs and good things could happen imo

BE PATIENT WITH TALL YOUNG ATHLETES
https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/c344-1899378/BE_PATIENT_WITH_TALL_YOUNG_ATHLETES.pdf
More game polish? He has 19 starts and has played in 25 games. He just finished his third season of college football, has had two spring practices and he is 20 years old. When are the he young/inexperienced excuse going to end?

Fletcher moved from DE to TE for this game. He may be playing TE next year. Played TE in high school.
With everyone coming back on the D probably a good move. Talented kid and very athletic need to find a place for him somewhere. With our dearth of talent at the TE position this one could pay dividends.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT