ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts on the OSU game

Some seriously quality observations throughout this thread by gef21.
IMO the best poster on this board.
Thanks for the compliment.

My son is starting to understand the game, it's fun to see him as a 6 year old see things unfolding.

Reactions: Knight Shift
When he checked down Jennings should have been all over him.
Yeah. That was a backbreaxker on third down. But the individual effort there to get to the outside and burn was absolutely amazing to watch live

Reactions: gef21
It was wild to watch. Djabome thought he had an angle, and then did not. Man we missed Powell today.
#28 was in a tough spot there. First real time and he has Henderson speed coming at him. I believe if Powell were on the field we win- and that particular play gets stopped.

Reactions: rutgersal and gef21
My big takeaway was this was the first OSU game where we were not just physically outmatched. In fact parts of the game we had our way with an OSU defense that some were saying was their best in 20 years, especially their D-line.

We are talking about a few things breaking our way and coming away with a win instead of wondering when we would not look like children on the field with grown men. Think about that for a moment. Would people have thought this was possible just a year ago? The score was not indicative of how competitive the game was at all. I’m proud of the team and I think the day where we beat OSU is closer than many would have believed a year ago.

Last edited:
@gef21

Is it me, or do we really not attack that 10-15 yard area downfield on offense? Our passing game seems like it's sort underneath stuff or taking shots downfield. I know you mentioned the lack of TE play, but shouldn't that be an area where we can use Strong's size as a substitution?

@gef21

Is it me, or do we really not attack that 10-15 yard area downfield on offense? Our passing game seems like it's sort underneath stuff or taking shots downfield. I know you mentioned the lack of TE play, but shouldn't that be an area where we can use Strong's size as a substitution?
Strong does not run come back stuff well. He runs corners and verticals and deep outs well.

We are our 2/3 of our best WRs who could attack the middle of the field.

We badly need a TE target.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
@gef21

Inside I think you're right . I think they throw to the sideline at that distance.

Reactions: gef21
Inside I think you're right . I think they throw to the sideline at that distance.
Makes it easy to defend if everyone knows that we don't attack the middle of the field. Dremel on the slant seems to be the only time we get anything going over the middle.

Walked back to my car talking with and OSU fan. He hasn’t watched us play all year and said pretty much what you and I have discussed a couple of times. His words “ if you teach that qb to come off his primary target and learns how to read an RPO we would be having different walks right now. “.
This has been my point in several posts. People blaming Kirk schiano for outcomes of plays when plays can take several directions. There is not one potential outcome on each play. The QB has to make reads and throws. What I’ve seen is GW struggle with both run and pass reads. What’s most concerning to me is he doesn’t even make the right run read in many instances. That being said, if he can improve the potential is scary good given his athleticism.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Makes it easy to defend if everyone knows that we don't attack the middle of the field. Dremel on the slant seems to be the only time we get anything going over the middle.

Question is;

Is it because they're holding Langan in to block, or

Is Langan not getting open, or

Is GW not seeing open receivers?

Question is;

Is it because they're holding Langan in to block, or

Is Langan not getting open, or

Is GW not seeing open receivers?
Langan is blocking but he is not big enough to post up on curls or fast enough to run verticals. He runs outs well and does a decent job on choice come back routes. He's an H back, not a true TE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT