ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts on the OSU game

gef21

All Conference
Jan 25, 2005
1. The pick 6 changes the entire game. I do not disagree with the call, and it should be a simple read. They sat in a 2 shell all game long, If the safety stays outside the hash you throw it. He came inside the hash, and we threw it. I would rather see us run the ball, but I am not against the call.

2. The missed wheel was an AWESOME call that we have to hit.

3. Our OL is a legit OL. We can run the ball against anyone at this point.

4. We are really, really, really missing Powell.

5. Longerbeam is legit.

6. Strong has to hold on to the ball, but he is going to be a very good WR for us.

7. If any WR blocks on KMs long run we score a TD.

8. GW is close in my opinion but not there. I always say that QBs have 7-9 chances to influence a game. He mad 3 big impact plays today, missed 2, and gave one to OSU (and the Strong drop is not on GW).

9. Besides JL our TEs can not do anything.

10. Did I say how much we are missing Powell?

11. The missed false start call was a very bad miss. Maybe the hit on the pick 6 was targeting.

12. OSU fans are annoying.

13. AL is so damn good.

I forgot to add that we gave OSUs defense fit. They sat in a man free and man zero look and we beat them on pass plays. When they went to the 2 shell we absolutely gashed them on the run.

We are being killed because we have no TE who can eat the middle of the field in that two high shell look, or another WR who can get vertical.

1. The pick 6 changes the entire game. I do not disagree with the call, and it should be a simple read. They sat in a 2 shell all game long, If the safety stays outside the hash you throw it. He came inside the hash, and we threw it. I would rather see us run the ball, but I am not against the call.

5. Longerbeam is legit.

6. Strong has to hold on to the ball, but he is going to be a very good WR for us.

8. GW is close in my opinion but not there. I always say that QBs have 7-9 chances to influence a game. He mad 3 big impact plays today, missed 2, and gave one to OSU (and the Strong drop is not on GW).

11. The missed false start call was a very bad miss. Maybe the hit on the pick 6 was targeting.

13. AL is so damn good.
Good takes. Who or what is AL?

5. Longerbeam is legit.

13. AL is so damn good.
Great summary, agree with everything you said. Nothing on Powell? 😉

Of the 3 FGs in 1st half, would you have gone for it on any of them if it was your call only? The last one was a no for me- we go ahead and get the ball at beginning of next half.

Great summary, agree with everything you said. Nothing on Powell? 😉

Of the 3 FGs in 1st half, would you have gone for it on any of them if it was your call only? The last one was a no for me- we go ahead and get the ball at beginning of next half.
I was going back and forth on this. I am fine with the FGs, If it all goes how it should, we are winning 12-7 or 16-7 mid way through the second quarter.

The way we were running the ball I want to see us run the ball, or roll out with level options/run.

I was going back and forth on this. I am fine with the FGs, If it all goes how it should, we are winning 12-7 or 16-7 mid way through the second quarter.

The way we were running the ball I want to see us run the ball, or roll out with level options/run.
Hypothetical draft pick- who first. Monangai or Henderson?

Good initial post.

1. Wrong place on the field to run that play? The field is too compressed. Curious what the safeties were doing on other plays when we were deep in the redzone.

4. Kept thinking that everytime their rb made a big play. Powell is such a stud. Needed him if we were going to win.

6. Strong's right elbow came down hard on the ground. Would have been amazing if he was able to hold onto it.
Have to go to him more. Snatched it and got 1 foot in.

11. That hurt! Definitely not targeting on OSU.

5. Longerbeam is legit.

13. AL is so damn good.
Great summary. Kirk called a good game until he got inside the red zone again. No need to overthink it. Pound the ball into the end zone. I will rewatch later tonight when I get home. But you cannot desert the run, or use GW as your primary runner when you have Monangai on your team.

Field goals are not going to win this type of game. You have to be able to put it into the end zone.

I felt like that non-call on the false start was a dagger. Looked like we were going to hold and then they get a huge first down on a play that should not have happened. It's almost impossible not to call that was right on the end and super early. Margin is so thin for us and blatant misses by the refs is a killer.

When you say AL is so dammed good, who is AL? Or do you mean RutgersAL?🙂

EDIT: Aaron Lewis. D'oh!

5. Longerbeam is legit.

13. AL is so damn good.
I always appreciate your insights.

Rutgers matched OSU's physicality on both sides of the ball. We needed to play close to a perfect game and didn't, e.g., pick 6, redzone efficiency, and bad tackling angles on a couple of Henderson's big plays. Kyle M has been great, but I thought Henderson was the best back I've seen this season.

Jennings, while slower than Powell, had a pretty good game. He had a series in the 3rd quarter where he was a one man wrecking crew. If he snatches that errant pass in OSU territory the game completely changes again.
Love Jennings, but his hips are slow. He plays damn hard, but is a step slow.

EDIT: The long run in the 4the quarter he makes a terrible read and takes the other LBs out of it

The underneath catch on 3rd and 9 was entirely him. RB came into his zone and he should jump that immediately.

Last edited:
EDIT to my thought.

The pick six should have never been thrown at all. They started in a one high look and went to a cover 3 look. The safety sat between the hashes the entire time. The out to CD was wide open at the sticks. Very bad read.

EDIT to my thought.

The pick six should have never been thrown at all. They started in a one high look and went to a cover 3 look. The safety sat between the hashes the entire time. The out to CD was wide open at the sticks. Very bad read.
Do you think most of Wimsatt's issues are mental then that can be fixed with more coaching? Bad reads, accuracy, locking in on receivers...

That pop pass was designed. The announcers talked about us working on it in practice. There was no read to be made.

Reactions: charliem24
Do you think most of Wimsatt's issues are mental then that can be fixed with more coaching? Bad reads, accuracy, locking in on receivers...
In my opinion yes.

I think he still puts his front shoulder up too much on some throws, but I think it is reads. He made some awesome read throws today.

EDIT to my thought.

Walked back to my car talking with and OSU fan. He hasn’t watched us play all year and said pretty much what you and I have discussed a couple of times. His words “ if you teach that qb to come off his primary target and learns how to read an RPO we would be having different walks right now. “.

Every play has a second option, WRs ran routes. No one in college football is going to say here is your only read.

I don't disagree but it looks like there is a pre-snap decision on where the ball is going. Dremel was triple covered on a 4th down throw to him.

KM has been WIDE open in the flat on a semi-regular basis. He NEVER checks down. Pretty much every throw out wide is the primary route.

They worked on this pop pass in practice. The decision to throw it to KM was made on Thursday. Lol. Generally speaking, players at all levels struggle to abandon a gadget play if it isn't open.

Sadly better QB play we win the game. Hard to argue. Big run killed us too.

Absolutely re lb play. Several of Hendersons big plays wouldnt have occurred

Yes but if Strong catches the TD, or the WRs block on KMs run, or Jennings jumps the curl, it's a completely different game.
That was another thing …what the hell were our WR’s doing on that play ??

That was another thing …what the hell were our WR’s doing on that play ??
Running too hard. They wanted to get down field to cut off any defender, needed to slow down and stop the chasing defenders.

Reactions: Kbee3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT