ADVERTISEMENT

Time to agree on the QB situation

More game polish? He has 19 starts and has played in 25 games. He just finished his third season of college football, has had two spring practices and he is 20 years old. When are the he young/inexperienced excuse going to end?
Exactly. He’s just bad. I have never seen a weaker passing QB who wasn’t wearing a Navy uniform under Paul Johnson or Ken Niumatatolo.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
More game polish? He has 19 starts and has played in 25 games. He just finished his third season of college football, has had two spring practices and he is 20 years old. When are the he young/inexperienced excuse going to end?

25 games but only 455 attempts.
That's only 18 per game.
Hard to do much development in game situations.
Especially when most are in obvious passing downs or negative game situation.

The real irony is if HC Schiano really did say Gavin needs more game reps to improve accuracy since it's not a practice problem.

Umm...it's his decision to give Gavin under 20 pass attempts in games.

Last edited:
Hoping I’m wrong here, but I can’t think of any examples

What quarterbacks have we ever developed other than Mike Teel and Ryan Hart?

Nova in his senior year, but that was due to the Fridge (and under Flood)

Reactions: ashokan

Before this year RU was a pretty crappy team.
Even Pacheco couldn't perform at RU.
Vedral could never pass more than 15 yds the OL was so bad
In Wimst's first two seasons (thinly built) he had zero rushing TDs and this year he had 11.
His passing yards more than doubled from 22 and his comp % increased despite needing improvement.
All that happened with a very mediocre sub-B1G receiving corps who couldn't work long
People around here see passing game as Newtonian when its relativistic - as if QBs can compile great stats no matter what others players are doing and what coaches are allowing.
Schiano was never going to rip any training wheels off - coaches have a 3 year plan for Wimst.

Last edited:
Reactions: satnom
Ha ha. Training wheels for 3rd year player. Says a lot about the QB.

No that's RU coaching.

Kirk Ciarrocca told TV crew that QB year one was for memorization, year two was for familiarity and year three was for mastery.

GW cant make people happy.
Kid scores two TDs on goal yesterday and people are crying about yardage.
One yard is hard on goal and RU red zone sucks for years.
I've seen Mongo stuffed on goal.
Finally the coaches do something innovative (push) and scored TDs and people aren't happy.
Then on the other hand the same people call a 5yr WR with 500 career yds and 3 TDs "just like Wayne Chrebet" (who once had 5 TDs in one game, 16 in a season and 31 for career @ Hofstra).
Truth is RUs receiving corps was expected to be weak in 2023 and it was - like the little kids table at Thanksgiving while other B1G team WRs are feasting like Henry VIII.

Ok. State Penn fan. Kid was 17 when he arrived at RU three years ago. Why do you spend so much time here? Are things slow at Blue and White Illustrated? Let me guess: you live in NJ and probably have talked so much shit about RU over the years that now you’re concerned about who starts at qb for RU?

Worry about your qb situation. We got enough RU “fan” posters on this board bitching about GW after the team just finished a seven win season.

GO RU

No that's RU coaching.

Kirk Ciarrocca told TV crew that QB year one was for memorization, year two was for familiarity and year three was for mastery.

GW cant make people happy.
Kid scores two TDs on goal yesterday and people are crying about yardage.
One yard is hard on goal and RU red zone sucks for years.
I've seen Mongo stuffed on goal.
Finally the coaches do something innovative (push) and scored TDs and people aren't happy.
Then on the other hand the same people call a 5yr WR with 500 career yds and 3 TDs "just like Wayne Chrebet" (who once had 5 TDs in one game, 16 in a season and 31 for career @ Hofstra).
Truth is RUs receiving corps was expected to be weak in 2023 and it was - like the little kids table at Thanksgiving while other B1G team WRs are feasting like Henry VIII.
Kirk said that?

Ok. State Penn fan. Kid was 17 when he arrived at RU three years ago. Why do you spend so much time here? Are things slow at Blue and White Illustrated? Let me guess: you live in NJ and probably have talked so much shit about RU over the years that now you’re concerned about who starts at qb for RU?

Worry about your qb situation. We got enough RU “fan” posters on this board bitching about GW after the team just finished a seven win season.

GO RU
regardless of your attacks on him, he's not wrong with respect to Gav

did you watch the game yesterday? Were you upset that Brown was better in his first start against our D than Gav was?

Reactions: PSU_Nut
The earliest Schiano makes a switch next year no matter how badly GW plays as I see it is the UCLA home game on Oct 19. I think we would need to be riding a 4 game losing streak at that point for him to even consider it given his overall stubbedness. You have VTech away, Washington at home, USC away and Wisconsin home. That is a tough four game stretch, we will likely not be favored in any of those games.

Kirk said that?
There’s a some articles that had that quote from KC. So at that rate, GW should be a competent QB in the KC/Schiano system by his 5th/6th year of playing college ball.

The goalposts moved for this young man wouldn’t be moved as much if he wasn’t the chosen one by Schiano. First it was HE SHOULD BE A HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR. Then it was HE DOESNT HAVE AN OC. Then it was THE LACK OF AN OLINE. Now it’s HE DOESNT HAVE MIAMI WRS as if Restrespo and the other Receivers would be able to magically catch GWs overthrown outs or slants that’s too tall.

It’s OK though since it takes him 5 attempts to score 2 TDs in the Brotherly Shove Formation, esp when they have two bowling balls as RBs who will get that one yard lined up in 12 or 13 personnel. He’s not even an Eric Crouch, Michael Vick type runner to compensate for his 48 yard passing games.

But Simon is a bum after last years Nebraska game who should never get another chance. Let’s see if AJ or Sheppard gets theirs in 2024.

regardless of your attacks on him, he's not wrong with respect to Gav

did you watch the game yesterday? Were you upset that Brown was better in his first start against our D than Gav was?
You’re a broken record on GW’s completion %. He needs to improve. Rutgers Nation agrees. If GW completes five more passes a game next year and gets into the 55% range and RU wins 9 games you’ll be complaining that he’s not at 60%.

Bring in a qb to compete and my money is on GW to continue improving to win out but everyone needs to improve and compete so RU can take the next step as a program.

Save us all with your constant whining about RU qb production.

GO RU

Kirk said that?

Matt Millen said that that is what Kirk told him was the template.
It was during the Maryland game and I once posted links to the remarks on YouTube but dont have them now.

People here were of course like "WTF?"

Last edited:
I’ve never seen a college QB repeatedly overthrow open receivers by the height of a 1-2 story building.

Reactions: tulloal
Matt Millen said that that is what Kirk told him was the template.
It was during the Maryland game and I once posted links to the remarks on YouTube but dont have them now.

People here were of course like "WTF?"
gotcha and yes, 'wtf'!!!!!!!!!!!!

The earliest Schiano makes a switch next year no matter how badly GW plays as I see it is the UCLA home game on Oct 19. I think we would need to be riding a 4 game losing streak at that point for him to even consider it given his overall stubbedness. You have VTech away, Washington at home, USC away and Wisconsin home. That is a tough four game stretch, we will likely not be favored in any of those games.
Right on the timing, but think that through. no portal QB will come here without an opportunity to compete for QB1 at the start of the season. Who would the switch be to ?

GS boxed himself in by committing to GW.

Sheppard is already QB2 for next year.

I feel bad for your wife. You must be the most pig headed guy in Pa. Again, it wasn’t about protecting Gavin. It was about celebrating this team and it’s season
Was not your rationale. Pathetic backtrack. Show that.

Your new explanation is even sillier than your first. AK committing publicly detracts from celebrating the season. Ha ha. That’s a whopping asinine excuse and there’s no possibility you actually believe that.

He might eventually commit, and I hope he does, but your reasoning for his already being a silent verbal is ridiculous. Celebrating season. JFC I’ve heard it all.

If you look at him as a 2 star instead of a 4 star you begin to realize we should explore other options. We don't trust him at all to drive the ball down the field. I hope it changes in the spring but we should definitely bring in competition and let the best man win. They want to get paid that's part of the deal then.

I find it funny that everyone complaints about his over throws. I watched the game last night and he had 1 over throw. GW played a great first half. Miami made the adjustment and played a lot tighter coverage and our WRs couldn’t get separation in the 2nd half.

Was not your rationale. Pathetic backtrack. Show that.

Your new explanation is even sillier than your first. AK committing publicly detracts from celebrating the season. Ha ha. That’s a whopping asinine excuse and there’s no possibility you actually believe that.

He might eventually commit, and I hope he does, but your reasoning for his already being a silent verbal is ridiculous. Celebrating season. JFC I’ve heard it all.
It’s not backtracking. I’ve said the whole thing all along. Schiano doesn’t like distractions and he wanted to focus on this team and their season. Go back and read my posts. They’ve been nothing but consistent

I find it funny that everyone complaints about his over throws. I watched the game last night and he had 1 over throw. GW played a great first half. Miami made the adjustment and played a lot tighter coverage and our WRs couldn’t get separation in the 2nd half.
What is so hard. We only threw the ball 15 times. They don’t trust him.

What is so hard. We only threw the ball 15 times. They don’t trust him.
It’s also not our strength. Why beat yourself? Most college teams would love to just run it. We can’t pass protect, our WRs and TEs are not great and we can run the ball. It’s not hard.

Reactions: satnom and mildone
There’s a some articles that had that quote from KC. So at that rate, GW should be a competent QB in the KC/Schiano system by his 5th/6th year of playing college ball.

The goalposts moved for this young man wouldn’t be moved as much if he wasn’t the chosen one by Schiano. First it was HE SHOULD BE A HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR. Then it was HE DOESNT HAVE AN OC. Then it was THE LACK OF AN OLINE. Now it’s HE DOESNT HAVE MIAMI WRS as if Restrespo and the other Receivers would be able to magically catch GWs overthrown outs or slants that’s too tall.

It’s OK though since it takes him 5 attempts to score 2 TDs in the Brotherly Shove Formation, esp when they have two bowling balls as RBs who will get that one yard lined up in 12 or 13 personnel. He’s not even an Eric Crouch, Michael Vick type runner to compensate for his 48 yard passing games.

But Simon is a bum after last years Nebraska game who should never get another chance. Let’s see if AJ or Sheppard gets theirs in 2024.
Beautiful synopsis. It’s what stubbornness and favoritism look like.

The three-year learning curve claim also means no other transfer besides AK with two years left can come here. Not enough time to start learning the system. Obviously a bald-faced lie.

Complete insult to us. Outrageous excuse machine.

Reactions: tico brown
It’s not backtracking. I’ve said the whole thing all along. Schiano doesn’t like distractions and he wanted to focus on this team and their season. Go back and read my posts. They’ve been nothing but consistent
Backtrack #2. Yes you did first did give the distraction excuse which of course is terribly weak. Then you pivoted to ‘verbal commit would detract from celebrating the season’ which on the 1-10 FieldhouseAl Stupidity Scale is a raging, radioactive 10 so embarrassing you should change screen names.

Now your back at the first excuse, which isn’t as preposterous but is still ridiculous.

Good work. Be proud.

Never agree. Agreement is boring. On an Internet forum at least.

Couldn't be more wrong.

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

Reactions: mildone
Before this year RU was a pretty crappy team.
Even Pacheco couldn't perform at RU.
Vedral could never pass more than 15 yds the OL was so bad
In Wimst's first two seasons (thinly built) he had zero rushing TDs and this year he had 11.
His passing yards more than doubled from 22 and his comp % increased despite needing improvement.
All that happened with a very mediocre sub-B1G receiving corps who couldn't work long
People around here see passing game as Newtonian when its relativistic - as if QBs can compile great stats no matter what others players are doing and what coaches are allowing.
Schiano was never going to rip any training wheels off - coaches have a 3 year plan for Wimst.

He was in his third year...there is no reason to have training wheels on. You would think things are going to be even worse if they didn't protect him because they would require him to make more risky and difficult throws. To put how far off he is even if his completion percentage increased next year as much as it did this year (3%) he would still be ranked 104 instead of dead last in 106th. The wide receivers may not be great but they certainly are not the worst in college football yet he has the worst completion percentage in college football.

It’s also not our strength. Why beat yourself? Most college teams would love to just run it. We can’t pass protect, our WRs and TEs are not great and we can run the ball. It’s not hard.
The coaching staff clearly doesn’t agree with you, or they would not have brought in a visitor from the transfer portal at QB. Period.

Backtrack #2. Yes you did first did give the distraction excuse which of course is terribly weak. Then you pivoted to ‘verbal commit would detract from celebrating the season’ which on the 1-10 FieldhouseAl Stupidity Scale is a raging, radioactive 10 so embarrassing you should change screen names.

Now your back at the first excuse, which isn’t as preposterous but is still ridiculous.

Good work. Be proud.
All the reporters, including rivals, NJ.com, etc., said clearly that they believe that it’s Schiano’s MO to time verbals like this and that’s what he’s doing now. Listen to the most recent Rutgers Rant. So if he’s incredibly stupid, well, he’s in very good company.

Reactions: BLewis1968
All the reporters, including rivals, NJ.com, etc., said clearly that they believe that it’s Schiano’s MO to time verbals like this and that’s what he’s doing now. Listen to the most recent Rutgers Rant. So if he’s incredibly stupid, well, he’s in very good company.
Ok, happy to be wrong on this. Are we only talking QBs ? The Monmouth WR who visited the same day did commit.

And did his brother also get an offer ?

Finally, why ? To protect GW’s feelings for 1 more game ?

Who’s good company ? Fran Brown ? Manny Diaz ? If the absolute highest profile QB commits aren’t hidden, what does Schiano gain from AM’s silent verbal ?

One thing is sure, it’s not to ‘detract from celebrating the season’ which is ridiculous.

In his first go round, Schiano was playing a defensive back who didn’t belong on the field. He was horrible. When Schiano was asked why he was playing him, his response was “he’s the best we got.” That is why Gavin is playing……not that he is good, but he is the best we got.

Ok, happy to be wrong on this. Are we only talking QBs ? The Monmouth WR who visited the same day did commit.

And did his brother also get an offer ?

Finally, why ? To protect GW’s feelings for 1 more game ?

Who’s good company ? Fran Brown ? Manny Diaz ? If the absolute highest profile QB commits aren’t hidden, what does Schiano gain from AM’s silent verbal ?

One thing is sure, it’s not to ‘detract from celebrating the season’ which is ridiculous.
It can only be explained to you so many times.

Reactions: PaKnight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT