ADVERTISEMENT

Time to start over with ballers and guys who want to compete

his thread?? Because, despite fans believing basketball rebuilding is easy, 1, 2, 3, it requires more competitive recruiting than football.

I count 7 current Ohio State players that are between 40th and 75th in their classes and a 8th, Senior Zed
Good points! Was just discussing this earlier with friends at the game. We just don't have the top end players over the course of time with recruiting. Its why its also disappointing watching GG play out there and not be that much better than everyone on our team at times(flashes of talent even).

While OSU is down on the year they still have top notch players

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Just giving credit where due. Dunk over layup is deff baller move. Don't sell him short as he's already vertically challenged to start.
2-9.

Many fans would have ripped Simpson for the same.

Baller? Please

I'll take Davis' line over Simpson's easily. 2-9 is bad, true. Zero assists isnt so good either, although the entire team couldn't hit the ocean from a rowboat today. Everything else from Davis's box score is just fine.

For the Simpson FT% (and it is very good) that's four straight games with zero FT attempts. He hasn't missed a FT in his last 11 games, that sounds great. But he's only taken 13 shots over that span. Just over one point a game on average. Davis was 17-28 over the same 11 games.

pikes in a really tough spot next season. he's never had to coach with any expectations. Now he's coaching not only with expectations but also an extremely inexperienced roster.
You took this thought that got 1 like and felt that you needed to turn it into an entire new thread, after admitting you didnt even follow the team this year?

Just giving credit where due. Dunk over layup is deff baller move. Don't sell him short as he's already vertically challenged to start.
Was the Simpson Sports Center DR.J layup against Maryland a baller move? Asking for a short sighted friend?

We need a true point guard. One that can shoot and dish off. Also a good shooting guard. If Cliff leaves we will need a center. We have 5 freshmen coning in and only three graduating seniors. Will need at least 5 guys leaving via portal to make up 13 man roster

Whats the deal with Mag? Is there a reason he’s been trying to jump ship for 2 years now?

Going off of O'Leary's unofficial scholly chart, assuming no changes are made we have the following:

1. Mag
2. Cliff
3. Oskar
4. Simpson
5. Woolf
6. Ogbole
7. J Wil
8. Chol
9. Gavin
10. JMike
11. Ace
12. Dortch
13. Lathan
14. Dylan Grant
15. Dylan Harper

We're two over the limit. Have to assume the two you need to cut are going to be guys that haven't gotten much time this past season. I think this ends up being Chol and Woolf. Simpson isn't going anywhere.

Harper, Grant, Lathan, Dortch, Ace, Gavin, JMike, JWil, Ogbole, Simpson, Oskar.

Mag we know is gone, and Cliff is on the fence. I mean we're talking roster turnover, but I think this is the team we're rolling into next season with.

It's really just 2 schollys open, and I'm pretty confident Cliff comes back so it's really just 1 scholly.

Going off of O'Leary's unofficial scholly chart, assuming no changes are made we have the following:

1. Mag
2. Cliff
3. Oskar
4. Simpson
5. Woolf
6. Ogbole
7. J Wil
8. Chol
9. Gavin
10. JMike
11. Ace
12. Dortch
13. Lathan
14. Dylan Grant
15. Dylan Harper

We're two over the limit. Have to assume the two you need to cut are going to be guys that haven't gotten much time this past season. I think this ends up being Chol and Woolf. Simpson isn't going anywhere.

Harper, Grant, Lathan, Dortch, Ace, Gavin, JMike, JWil, Ogbole, Simpson, Oskar.

Mag we know is gone, and Cliff is on the fence. I mean we're talking roster turnover, but I think this is the team we're rolling into next season with.

It's really just 2 schollys open, and I'm pretty confident Cliff comes back so it's really just 1 scholly.
If Cliff comes back we still need one more player to leave. Probably Ogbole or Oskar. Because we need a true point guard that can shoot and dish and a good shooter forwar or guard.

Reactions: Scangg
If Cliff comes back we still need one more player to leave. Probably Ogbole or Oskar. Because we need a true point guard that can shoot and dish and a good shooter forwar or guard.
Where are the minutes coming from? Harper is getting 30 minutes a game, he’s going to be the primary ball handler.

Next years team won’t have a “true point” IMO

Whats the deal with Mag? Is there a reason he’s been trying to jump ship for 2 years now?
No insider info but I know Cliff and Mag are tight. If Cliff left last year, I think Mag would have left too. Guys like to get out and score. Mag may see himself as a someone who should be averaging 15+ per game rather than just being a defensive stopper. The irony is that Pike helped bolster Mag's profile by making him into such a good defender and he gives his guys carte blanche on offense. But, who knows, I'm speculating.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
2-9.

Many fans would have ripped Simpson for the same.
True. But that’s probably only because 2-9 or similar has become the rule for Derek in just about every game, rather than the exception… In our last 6 games he took 39 shots and missed 31 of them.. His shooting has been surprisingly bad on a pretty regular basis. If his shooting can improve to anywhere near average B1G guard level, you wouldn’t have to deal with the frequent criticism. He obviously does many other things well, but his shooting has been a completely different story and can be frustrating to watch.

True. But that’s probably only because 2-9 or similar has become the rule for Derek in just about every game, rather than the exception… In our last 6 games he took 39 shots and missed 31 of them.. His shooting has been surprisingly bad on a pretty regular basis. If his shooting can improve to anywhere near average B1G guard level, you wouldn’t have to deal with the frequent criticism. He obviously does many other things well, but his shooting has been a completely different story and can be frustrating to watch.
He wasn't alone. The last 11 games, Gavin took 61 shots and missed 46 of them. Same shooting %

He wasn't alone. The last 11 games, Gavin took 61 shots and missed 46 of them. Same shooting %
I understand. But he was suggesting that fans would have unfairly ripped Derek if he shot 2-9 when they didn’t rip Jamichael, as if there’s a double standard, and he often tends to criticize Jamichael as a means to try to defend Derek. I was just pointing out a reason why Derek might be currently more prone to criticism in the forum than Jamichael is for not shooting well in a particular game. (And although Davis shot 2-9 in the game, Simpson’s 0-4 wasn’t necessarily much better..)

Reactions: shields
Simpson took way too much heat and the most of anyone on this team.

Primarily because he is just a dreadful shooter - and compounds the problem by taking terrible shots. He takes 16-18 footers - the worst shot in basketball. He gets every layup attempt blocked or he tries a crazy circus shot which never has a chance. Whenever he shoots, it's akin to a turnover.
I don't know why he doesn't shoot more floaters in the paint - which I think he'd be good at.

Reactions: winfield102
Primarily because he is just a dreadful shooter - and compounds the problem by taking terrible shots. He takes 16-18 footers - the worst shot in basketball. He gets every layup attempt blocked or he tries a crazy circus shot which never has a chance. Whenever he shoots, it's akin to a turnover.
I don't know why he doesn't shoot more floaters in the paint - which I think he'd be good at.
He was awful in the paint, shooting 17%. Was actually average from the midrange.

• Wow
Reactions: Scangg
He was awful in the paint, shooting 17%. Was actually average from the midrange.
Don’t dispute any of this. But the whole team was full of awful shooters.

And if he is going to take all this heat as a poor shooter he should then likewise be receiving a ton of praise as best foul shooter.

In any event, hustle, effort and D has always been there and best ball handler on team!!! Speed!

Firmly believe too much scorn and the stuff he is good at is best on the team.

Last edited:
Please enlighten us on why JMike is a baller and Simpson is not? What do you see in your eyes???
First …I have no agenda , other than the eyes ….

I’m going to give you and example….

JMike makes a bad mistake in the second half …and what does he do, gets after it , gets a steal …and makes a lay up.

I constant see him busting his ass on both ends …getting after it

Derek …is way too dependent on seeing his shot go through the basket ….he balls when the ball goes in the basket . When he doesn’t , way too much sulk. That’s not a baller …

Baller plays posssison to possesion to win thar possesion. Compete right to the end .

That’s Jmike > Davis as of March 10, 2024…..
AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY. This is why I was saying in the other thread, yesterday, about JMike having "intangibles" over Derek. This is a perfect example.

Oh well. Shit happens and somehow has to take the heat. He's the ball handler who shoots WAY TOO MUCH for a PG with a horrid shooting %. Pretty sure he "gets the talk" and, if so, I wish him the best.

Oh well. Shit happens and somehow has to take the heat. He's the ball handler who shoots WAY TOO MUCH for a PG with a horrid shooting %. Pretty sure he "gets the talk" and, if so, I wish him the best.
Big mistake if that’s the case.
Kid has actually won us games, Indiana and PSU last year.
Stonehill game winning shot this year.
Nearly a triple double this year against Nebraska.
Basically won RU the first Michigan game with 19 points and 6 assists.
Shot of the year against Maryland.
One man comeback attempts against OSU and Minny.
11-13 foul shots to ice games against Nebraska and Indiana.
Huge part of 3-4th ranked D.
Most steals on team
Best assist turnover ratio on team.
Best ball handler on the team.
Best foul shooter on the team

“sh*t happens”. Really? SMH!!!!!

Big mistake if that’s the case.
Kid has actually won us games, Indiana and PSU last year.
Stonehill game winning shot this year.
Nearly a triple double this year against Nebraska.
Basically won RU the first Michigan game with 19 points and 6 assists.
Shot of the year against Maryland.
One man comeback attempts against OSU and Minny.
11-13 foul shots to ice games against Nebraska and Indiana.
Huge part of 3-4th ranked D.
Most steals on team
Best assist turnover ratio on team.
Best ball handler on the team.
Best foul shooter on the team

“sh*t happens”. Really? SMH!!!!!
I'm CLEARLY not the only one thinking this way (see: the OP and others). And, yes, "shit happens." Sorry but with today's NIL, the way it is set up, if they want to play "free agent" then I can feel however I'd like about ANY of them. It sucks, I HATE feeling this way, but it is what it is for now.

I'm CLEARLY not the only one thinking this way (see: the OP and others). And, yes, "shit happens." Sorry but with today's NIL, the way it is set up, if they want to play "free agent" then I can feel however I'd like about ANY of them. It sucks, I HATE feeling this way, but it is what it is for now.
And “The Talk”? Or is it “free agent”? that you are in favor?

I don’t think Simpson gets “the talk”. I think he’s not a starter next year and takes a lot fewer shots. If he’s not okay with that, he might leave of his own accord. But I don’t think he’ll be pushed out.
Also would love to have Simpson come back senior year if Dylan and Ace are one and done. So many fans pushing him out the door not thinking ahead.

And “The Talk”? Or is it “free agent”? that you are in favor?
Am I speaking Martian lol?

"the talk" happens. Period, like it or not, for better or worse AND, in this day of "free agency," sorry, but "too bad" if you get "the talk." This wasn't my choice for college athletics (I'm PRO "NIL" as it was originally intended, don't get me wrong...) but it is what it is for now.

Hope that helps.

That’s total BS. It’s JMike whose Defense disappears after he misses a shot and usually gives up a three.

Simpson has always hustled and played great D and 100% effort.

This is why I will always come to Simpson’s defense.

If Simpson went 2-9 this Board would crucify him.
If? 2-9 is about your typical Simpson game

who cares what you think (see how that feels?)

but you're spot on IMHO. 😁

How many games did Davis win for us?

How many games has Simpson won for us the last two years?

SMH
That's not Davis's role and it's neither of their roles next year

Simpson is living off a few game hot stretch over the end of last season but has been a horrible shooter for 2 years. What games did he win for us this year? He was 4-15 against Stonehill. He hit a huge shot, but we were only in that situation in the first place bc he shot like 💩 against a glorified HS team

You just are not giving enough significance to the fact that Simpson has the worst effective FG % in the conference for anyone playing major minutes by a large margain. You just simply cannot be that bad of a shooter, play that many minutes and take that many shots. His better play on defense, hustling, and rebounding doesn't make up for it. It just cant.

Simpson 34.8 eFG%
2nd worst 40.5%
3rd worst 44.2%

He needs to increase by 5 or 10% to get up to 3rd to last. That's how far of an outlier it is. That is why it is a major major problem. Not sure how you still can't comprehend just how bad it but its beyond normal bad

Davis's shooting is actually much better Especially over the end of the season. Someone posted those numbers for I think last 10 games and Davis was 10-15% higher in FG and eFG%

I watched that Stonehill game and nobody shot that well. And did make that shot. Truth hurts. So you cherry pick games but whole season doesn’t matter?

Just maybe Simpson’s numbers are bad because he was asked to do too much and nobody else on the team could step up?
Best ball handler on team. Close 2nd in assists and still majority of time primary ball handler.

Still leads team in steals. Last time I checked 4th most efficient D in country. Guessing that’s not even counting deflections and pressures. Rebounds just as well as Davis

If you want to talk bad and beyond normal bad shooting, riddle me this, name another guard in the country or also in RU history that has ever shot 55% from the line. That’s an outlier if I ever saw one.

You like to cite Simpson’s shooting, so let’s look at three point shooting. If Simpson is so incomprehensible bad and such an outlier, then what is Davis shooting at a rate of .235 some .060 less than Simpson’s .294 from three?

I’ll again point out one of best foul shooters in conference and best on team. Call me crazy but a great ball handling guard and great foul shooter at end of games would be a weapon I’d like to have next year. Who do you want handling a press

Call me crazy but I would like having one of the quickest guards in RU history back.
Nobody has ever questioned his D, motor or hustle and doesn’t forget to play D after he misses shots like some other who was repeatedly burned by threes after pouting after missed shots. (See start of 2nd half Minny game).

Last edited:
I watched that Stonehill game and nobody shot that well. And did make that shot. Truth hurts. So you cherry pick games but whole season doesn’t matter?

Just maybe Simpson’s numbers are bad because he was asked to do too much and nobody else on the team could step up?
Best ball handler on team. Still leads team in steals. Last time I checked 4th most efficient D in country. Guessing that’s not even counting deflections and pressures. Rebounds just as well as Davis

If you want to talk bad and beyond normal bad shooting, riddle me this, name another guard in the country or also in RU history that has ever shot 55% from the line. That’s an outlier if I ever saw one.

You like to cite Simpson’s shooting, so let’s look at three point shooting. If Simpson is so incomprehensible bad and such an outlier, then what is Davis shooting at a rate of .235 some .060 less than Simpson’s .294?

I’ll again point out one of best foul shooters in conference and best on team. Call me crazy but a great ball handling guard and great foul shooter at end of games would be a weapon I’d like to have.
Call me crazy but I would like having one of the quickest guards in RU history back.
Nobody has ever questions D, motor or hustle and doesn’t forget to play D after he misses shots like some other who was repeatedly burned by threes.
Simpson has 2 FT attempts total in his last 6 games combined. 0 in his last 4. This isn't some crazy weapon helping us win game after game. Unless he's drawing fouls consistently and getting to the line it's not this huge benefit to the team outside of end of game fouling situations

Effective FG% factors in 2 and 3 point shooting and Simpson is 5% worse despite being a sophomore vs a freshman. The numbers in other thread over that last 15 games show Davis shooting numbers wayyyyyy better than Simpson. Way way way better

Simpson's eFG% is the worst in the conference for his minutes played over the last 10 years with the 2nd closest about 5% better over that time. It's been an historically bad shooting season. Nothing you can say will change that

Simpson has 2 FT attempts total in his last 6 games combined. 0 in his last 4. This isn't some crazy weapon helping us win game after game. Unless he's drawing fouls consistently and getting to the line it's not this huge benefit to the team outside of end of game fouling situations

Effective FG% factors in 2 and 3 point shooting and Simpson is 5% worse despite being a sophomore vs a freshman. The numbers in other thread over that last 15 games show Davis shooting numbers wayyyyyy better than Simpson. Way way way better

Simpson's eFG% is the worst in the conference for his minutes played over the last 10 years with the 2nd closest about 5% better over that time. It's been an historically bad shooting season. Nothing you can say will change that

You keep on harping on shooting. I’ve acknowledged repeatedly. It’s a problem.

But he’s not at awful from three and frankly great from the line. And those shooting numbers are wayyyyyy better than Davis who hasn’t exactly been Jerry West either. His free throw shooting is just as historically bad as Simpsons is from the field. I don’t recall in 30+ years an RU guard shooting that poorly from the line. So be fair with your history and outliers.

I like everything else about Simpson’s game , his speed, his defense, his hustle, his motor. I’ve seen him take over and win games, Indy, PSU, Michigan, hit big shots Stonehill, Indiana half time, almost get a triple double against Nebraska, make crazy good athletic shots against Maryland and repeatedly hit clutch free throws to ice games.

4th most efficient defense in the country. Simpson a huge part of that.

I wouldn’t give upon a kid like that and tremendous value added. So much possible upside. And that’s even with all the awful shooting.

I want to get out and they keep dragging me back in! In fact they even dragged me back to the Oscars. ;-)

Last edited:
I don’t think Simpson gets “the talk”. I think he’s not a starter next year and takes a lot fewer shots. If he’s not okay with that, he might leave of his own accord. But I don’t think he’ll be pushed out.
Probably best if he left on his own .

Should it be a lowly recruited sophomore taking heat on a team that is full of upper classmen?

Should it be a lowly recruited sophomore taking heat on a team that is full of upper classmen?

Well, If the “lowly recruited sophomore” is going to take way more shots (273) than anyone else on the team except Andre (278) and miss 69% of them, and shoot under 30% in 18 of the 31 games (and exactly 30% in 2 more) then maybe some heat is warranted.

And I recall plenty of other players taking a lot of heat during the season too. Right now Derek is probably being mentioned more because of replies to G- RUnit’s staunch defense of him.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT