ADVERTISEMENT

Time to start over with ballers and guys who want to compete

This is …in my eyes , when things got tough …..

Cliff
Jwill
Gavin
Jmike

And from what I see…the five frosh

Sorry, let’s move on from everyone else and reestsbkish the identity.
Sadly, I can't see Cliff coming back.

Reactions: shields

Cliff
Jwill
Gavin
Jmike

Please enlighten us on why JMike is a baller and Simpson is not? What do you see in your eyes???

Last edited:
Feel kind of bad for Simpson, he plays hard and seems to be a really good kid and a good teammate. He's got some strengths to his game, just needs to get his shot straightened out and make better decisions (I know.. easier said than done)

I’m actually with you here. Simpson is a competitor. He has shortcomings that make his future role here questionable imo. But it’s not a lack of competitiveness.
Thanks!! Just hate the premise.
JMike is a baller?
Simpson for all his shooting faults always left it on the court.
News Flash, JMike not a better shooter than Simpson as Simpson better from three and sadly almost twice as good from the line.

Thanks!! Just hate the premise.
JMike is a baller?
Simpson for all his shooting faults always left it on the court.
News Flash, JMike not a better shooter than Simpson as Simpson better from three and sadly almost twice as good from the line.
Not going to bother with a debate on who shoots it better. It’s kind of a tallest midget situation there. I think they are both competitors.

Please enlighten us on why JMike is a baller and Simpson is not? What do you see in your eyes???
First …I have no agenda , other than the eyes ….

I’m going to give you and example….

JMike makes a bad mistake in the second half …and what does he do, gets after it , gets a steal …and makes a lay up.

I constant see him busting his ass on both ends …getting after it

Derek …is way too dependent on seeing his shot go through the basket ….he balls when the ball goes in the basket . When he doesn’t , way too much sulk. That’s not a baller …

Baller plays posssison to possesion to win thar possesion. Compete right to the end .

That’s Jmike > Davis as of March 10, 2024…..

He’ll be here one more year then bolt.

Not going to bother with a debate on who shoots it better. It’s kind of a tallest midget situation there. I think they are both competitors.
Still the weird painful irony of it all is that Simpson is by far the best foul shooter on the team and one of the best in the conference.

pikes in a really tough spot next season. he's never had to coach with any expectations. Now he's coaching not only with expectations but also an extremely inexperienced roster.

JMike makes a bad mistake in the second half …and what does he do, gets after it , gets a steal …and makes a lay up.

Derek …is way too dependent on seeing his shot go through the basket ….he balls when the ball goes in the basket . When he doesn’t , way too much sulk. That’s not a baller …

Baller plays posssison to possesion to win thar possesion. Compete right to the end .

That’s total BS. It’s JMike whose Defense disappears after he misses a shot and usually gives up a three.

Simpson has always hustled and played great D and 100% effort.

This is why I will always come to Simpson’s defense.

If Simpson went 2-9 this Board would crucify him.

Simpson was never a kid that was going to a main contributor before his junior year, its not his fault the roster has been so poorly constructed he has had to play big minutes early. Just as J Mike shouldn't have been playing more than 10+ this year, and remember he was higher ranked than Simpson. The three guards are all currently too similar. Unless one learns to shoot, we probably can't keep them all, but may need to.

Still the weird painful irony of it all is that Simpson is by far the best foul shooter on the team and one of the best in the conference.
Look…there has been some questions if he has a wrist or hand injury , because thsr ball comes out of his hand really really weird when he’s shoots now.

Unlike others here ….I’m not down on Derek for missed shots

I’m was advocated for him and his hustle more than most , especially when his rebounding per 40 minutes was at a higher rate than #3…….as a skinny 6’1” guard

What I’m down on him is that he , as someone that is not 70 games into this college career needs to realize that his efforting and extra energy needs to be there regardless of seeing the ball go through the nets …more than anyone on this team, he is affected too much that …and he is letting that in the last few games , affect the total effort he makes on the court

That’s what I see…and the numbers and how he fills up the rest of the stat sheet besides points bears it out …..

That’s total BS. It’s JMike whose Defense disappears after he misses a shot and usually gives up a three.

Simpson has always hustled and played great D and 100% effort.

This is why I will always come to Simpson’s defense.

If Simpson went 2-9 this Board would crucify him.

I appreciate you dying on the hill with Derek. Seriously. No disrespect. But you’re there alone or with not too many fans. You might be right, but do you honestly think he’s coming back? Because in the end whatever is posted on here isn’t going to keep him here if Pike recruits over him, which I think he has, and Derek wants to play more minutes somewhere else.

Cliff
Jwill
Gavin
Jmike

Cliff is gone so you have update your list.

Last 6 games

Derek 144 minute …14 rebounds
Look…there has been some questions if he has a wrist or hand injury , because thsr ball comes out of his hand really really weird when he’s shoots now.

I’m was advocated for him and his hustle more than most , especially when his rebounding per 40 minutes was at a higher rate than #3…….as a skinny 6’1” guard

What I’m down on him is that he , as someone that is not 70 games into this college career needs to realize that his efforting and extra energy needs to be there regardless of seeing the ball go through the nets …more than anyone on this team, he is affected too much that …and he is letting that in the last few games , affect the total effort he makes on the court

That’s what I see…and the numbers and how he fills up the rest of the stat sheet besides points bears it out …..
Derek …last 6 games …144 minutes play, 14 rebounds ….way below his reb/40 min average from earlier in the year before his more recent shooting slide. It’s clear to me his shooting woes are effecting his total game

Look…I’m telling you what I see; if he was doing a better job on the other parts of the game to make an impact when his shots aren’t falling ….i would be the first to say …keep him .

We need guys to compete for 40 min , not just when his shots are falling ….and he , as he winds down his second year and is supposed to be rounding into a veteran to be looked up to ….is just not efforting like he was earlier in the year .

That’s a major flag to me ……

Have you seen the stat sheet of our best player, J Will? 3 rebounds and 2 assists total the last two games. His rebound today was a tip that he collected 22 feet from the rim, and no idea when his assist finally happened, must've been after I turned off with a couple minutes left. Our guards are all poor.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Last 6 games

Derek …last 6 games …144 minutes play, 14 rebounds ….way below his reb/40 min average from earlier in the year before his more recent shooting slide. It’s clear to me his shooting woes are effecting his total game

Look…I’m telling you what I see; if he was doing a better job on the other parts of the game to make an impact when his shots aren’t falling ….i would be the first to say …keep him .

We need guys to compete for 40 min , not just when his shots are falling ….and he , as he winds down his second year and is supposed to be rounding into a veteran to be looked up to ….is just not efforting like he was earlier in the year .

That's also partially because our wing, GG, started to rebound.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Last 6 games

Compared to everybody whose stats have all gone down as well???
Looks more like selective flags and picking on particular players.

Compared to everybody whose stats have all gone down as well???
Looks more like selective flags and picking on particular players.
Dude …I mean when I say I have no agenda. I root for the name on the front of the jersey…that’s what I see

Agree to disagree …that’s fine . But that’s what i see

Simpson hustles at all times and plays with intensity. His issue is shooting efficiency and making the right play. He tried to do too much as a "shoot first" player on offense and its hurting him big time. Last year in his final 7 games he was taking the ball to the rim more with authority and now he fades away from contact and in most cases settles for the mid range jumper which is not effective.
I think the whole dynamic of our guards was AWFUL this year and he was in a better position to have success last year with a switch off between him and Mulcahy with different styles

Reactions: ILikePike
I mean.. it IS weird. I can’t really explain it. But he’s been so terrible from the field for so long that it’s clearly not just bad luck or something. But the foul shooting at least gives some hope that the potential is there.

Reactions: RU-ROCS and Scangg
pikes in a really tough spot next season. he's never had to coach with any expectations. Now he's coaching not only with expectations but also an extremely inexperienced roster.
He needs to win the portal this spring . Period

To make this roster go…we need
1.) A 20-24 minute wing player at the 2-3
2.) A 20-24 minute forward
3.) cliff or a center from the portal (let’s assume cliff for now )

This woukd fill out the roster …and allow sommerville to grow up right (ditto Dortch and grant )

Starters
Jwill 25
Dylan 27
Gavin or portal wing 22
Airous 27
Cliff 27

Bench
Gavin or portal wing 22
Portal forward 22
Jmike 15
Sommervile 13

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I’m not sure what it is. Maybe it’s my memory because pike took over a team that wasn’t competitive. Until the Covid year and the year after, it seems like the hair on fire play is gone. Even when we were less talented we were not an easy out. I always felt like it was because pike instilled in the players the mindset that no one thought we belonged. I don’t know whether that’s true. I don’t know whether teams now know we’re not an easy out, and show up. I don’t know whether it’s coaching , the player mix , or intensity. Something seems difrerent. Is there any team in the country with more riding on the season than Rutgers men’s basketball?

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow

Why would I post this in this thread?? Because, despite fans believing basketball rebuilding is easy, 1, 2, 3, it requires more competitive recruiting than football.

I count 7 current Ohio State players that are between 40th and 75th in their classes and a 8th, Senior Zed Key at 113, in the Cliff Omoyuri class of 2020.

Does that mean Ohio State was underachieving under now fired Chris Holtmann and now getting fixed under assistant/interim coach Deibler?? Maybe.

The difference between playing 20 regular season games at this level and then stretching that out to 30 to 35 games is enormous. Once a deeper and more talented roster has games 21 to 35, it is a larger gap in skill, talent and athletic abilities.

RU in the last 2 seasons, has played as hard as it can for 15 to 20 games, but just doesn't have the depth, skill or talent to sustain.

Before we get to this Simpson or Davis or whatever else fans want to debate, this talent problem, can only get fixed over 3 to 4 classes.

Keep in mind, separate from the 8 names above for Ohio State, who all played today, wasn't included Jamison Battle from George Mason, to Minnesota to Ohio State as a 5th year scorer.

It doesn't mean RU should lose by 20 points at home to anyone. But if you get a talent gap of players, it eventually shows up in February and March.

RU has 5 talented freshman incoming. Obviously it needs 2 to 4 portal upgrades on top of that, just to be in a mid level vs the B1G.

It doesn't mean every Top 100 kid pans out, Ohio State had 2 other ones between 2020 and 2021, transfer out. This looks the same when comparing MSU, Indiana, Michigan and others......as much as fans want to blame coaching...we are actually well coached......we just have a skill and talent, size and athletic ability gap that can be closed quickly, with some portal fixes.

and makes a lay up.

Dunk

Reactions: cshelley

Why would I post this in this thread?? Because, despite fans believing basketball rebuilding is easy, 1, 2, 3, it requires more competitive recruiting than football.

I count 7 current Ohio State players that are between 40th and 75th in their classes and a 8th, Senior Zed Key at 113, in the Cliff Omoyuri class of 2020.

Does that mean Ohio State was underachieving under now fired Chris Holtmann and now getting fixed under assistant/interim coach Deibler?? Maybe.

The difference between playing 20 regular season games at this level and then stretching that out to 30 to 35 games is enormous. Once a deeper and more talented roster has games 21 to 35, it is a larger gap in skill, talent and athletic abilities.

RU in the last 2 seasons, has played as hard as it can for 15 to 20 games, but just doesn't have the depth, skill or talent to sustain.

Before we get to this Simpson or Davis or whatever else fans want to debate, this talent problem, can only get fixed over 3 to 4 classes.

Keep in mind, separate from the 8 names above for Ohio State, who all played today, wasn't included Jamison Battle from George Mason, to Minnesota to Ohio State as a 5th year scorer.

It doesn't mean RU should lose by 20 points at home to anyone. But if you get a talent gap of players, it eventually shows up in February and March.

RU has 5 talented freshman incoming. Obviously it needs 2 to 4 portal upgrades on top of that, just to be in a mid level vs the B1G.

It doesn't mean every Top 100 kid pans out, Ohio State had 2 other ones between 2020 and 2021, transfer out. This looks the same when comparing MSU, Indiana, Michigan and others......as much as fans want to blame coaching...we are actually well coached......we just have a skill and talent, size and athletic ability gap that can be closed quickly, with some portal fixes.
Not only the rankings hawk. Open your eyes. Watch the game. You could ascertain the recruit rankings in 30 seconds.

Hawk makes my point. Where have we ranked in the league recruiting in the pike era? My sense is they won because they played with this chip on their shoulders. Playing this schedule night in and out isn’t easy.

And on top of that, if they get the talent they need from the portal, we need to make it gel quickly enough so we can make the tournament and make a run. Pike is gonna earn his money the next 365 days that's for sure.

There is not room for Simpson and JMike…one has to go. we need a third guard who can shoot. 4th guard can be a defensive stopper.

Ogbole is nothing more than a third center and wolf is a tweener. Don’t see a role for one if not both going forward.

Mag is a goner which is sad bc he would be a perfect fit and provide veteran leadership next year. Replace him with Zach Fremantle if his foot is healed.

Pike is going to get a starting 5. If Cliff wants to come back, he will have to earn his spot.

Palm can do whatever he wants. Good team guy, nice size, capable shooter. You’d be hard pressed to find a better 13th man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT