ADVERTISEMENT

Pike didn’t miss layups, get stuffed, miss foul shots, commit 2 fouls in 2 minutes, or turn it over.

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
So, let’s give it a rest.

He DID bring these guys in however, so you live and die with what you recruit, period. He should take a hit for that.

That said. Scrub this season. Clean house.

Say Bye to Chol, Cliff, Simpson, Wolf, Oskar, Mag.

Keep JMike, JWill, Gavin, Big E.

Get some offensive support and experience from the portal to help the Fab Freshmen and let’s get better!

Last edited:
See Carina’s article. Pike did learn an important lesson. If you can’t commit to being here he isn’t waiting for you to decide. He will find someone who will. He won’t get burned a second year.
Yup let’s hope he has his “poach list” ready

These are his recruits
The lack of development cannot be ignored

However, the sudden late departures of cam and Paul were monumental, that was the loss of Nydongo and Mag being injured

I’ll give him a pass this year based on his body of work over the past almost decade

But without a doubt, next year is the most important year of his career

It was interesting to hear in the TKR Podcast Richie and Mike say, basically back to back: 1) The team gets good looks, we just don't have players that can make the shots and 2) the offensive schemes aren't good and that's why we don't score. Those statements are in opposition to each other. It can't be both.

I'm in the camp that I see the players get good looks and miss them. And that steamrolls because if the D doesn't need to respect a lot of shooters everything spirals from there.

Last edited:
He has to make the ncaa next year at a minimum. That requires assembling a portal group that will compliment the incoming freshmen. Anything less than a ncaa bid next year should have the athletic director doing some soul searching.

Rutgers normally doesn't have highly rated players on the roster.Pikiell's success has been based on defense and having a couple shooters like Sanders,Baker and Harper.Next season with Bailey and Harper fans will see talent that is more highly rated than the 1976 final four team.What made them great is having scorers at every starting position similar to UConn this season.Roster formation will tell the story for next season and right now there are lots of unknowns.

Rutgers normally doesn't have highly rated players on the roster.Pikiell's success has been based on defense and having a couple shooters like Sanders,Baker and Harper.Next season with Bailey and Harper fans will see talent that is more highly rated than the 1976 final four team.What made them great is having scorers at every starting position similar to UConn this season.Roster formation will tell the story for next season and right now there are lots of unknowns.
He hasn't had a couple of shooters those guys were scorers none of them were shooters!! We have literally not had a consistent knock down 3 point shooter since Quincy Douby, we have had streaky guys but we have not had a shooter my hope for next year is Gavin can get over this freshman year and become one of those but we need in the portal a Cam Spencer guy who can just sit out there and knock down 3's because with Ace and Dylan there will be plenty of open 3 pointers; We also need a big and a 4 for rebounding and I think we obviously can be very very good next year

This year, unlike other years, we didn't hear the players talking about their love for one another or about playing for their teammates. That's a huge change that needs to be made better for next year.
Doubt you are going to see much of this at all in the portal + NIL era.

It is not about offense, if you don't have players who can score or create scoring opportunities.

I watched about 20 possessions in the 1st or 2nd half where the Ohio State player was just bigger, stronger or had more arm length than the RU player. ...and the RU player outside of Davis or Simpson, didn't have the quickness AND jump shot.

Good coaching staffs go underneath screens and RU has available shot to take, one after the other.....but Davis and Simpson both aren't comfortable shooting and wind up driving to the basket, which results in a shot block or a badly missed shot.

Add to that, the wings have to drive past their defender and elevate to pass or score. Only Hyatt had a couple of possessions where he attempted to do that and had some success scoring or getting fouled.

It comes down to talent, skill and ability to shoot, dribble, pass....if the RU players cannot do all of those things, it is on the coach taking an incomplete player or recruit.....most of the roster fits the description of an incomplete player (either not big enough to score or quick enough to drive or not good enough to take 3s or make mid-range 2s).

The other end of the floor is rebounding on defense....without players who can elevate and compete for rebounds, we are in a tough spot. We need 3 to 4 truly complete players at JWills level or better via the portal.

Reactions: SBP
It was interesting to hear in the TKR Podcast Richie and Mike say, basically back to back: 1) The team gets good looks, we just don't have players that can make the shots and 2) the offensive schemes aren't good and that's why we don't score. Those statements are in opposition to each other. It can't be both.

I'm in the camp that I see the players get good looks and miss them. And that steamrolls because if the D doesn't need to respect a lot of shooters everything spirals from there.
It’s all about putting the ball into the basket.We don ‘t have anyone who can make 12’ shots never mind the deadly 3 pointer semi consistently.

Reactions: Eagleton96
I think we have a combination of things going on here. Our roster was not as talented or physically gifted as most of the big ten. Couple that with the fact that our guys did not develop, especially offensively. Then you lay on the newcomers, most of whom did not perform as we might have expected…Gavin, Noah, along with missing most of the season from Williams and ogbole. We didn’t gel as a team, didn’t rebound, no
Chemistry on offense, and everyone on the team couldn’t shoot. It was a recipe for bad basketball. Watched pike’s face down the stretch and it looks like he aged years this season. New faces and offensive ability will change things next season, but we will need to surrounding cast to be far better than this year or we will be disappointed.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
This year, unlike other years, we didn't hear the players talking about their love for one another or about playing for their teammates. That's a huge change that needs to be made better for next year.
Of course, some of that is on the players, but Pike tolerated all season an incredibly selfish team with guards who would charge into heavy traffic and never look for the kick out. Actions can come first, and then the love for one another can develop. Perhaps in the off-season, Pike can get some mentoring from Lisa Bluder.

Reactions: socaldave
In all things Pikiell is loyal to a fault. That is fine sometimes but this is a conversation we had before on this board. There were several who say that’s a good thing to others it’s a bad thing.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
In all things Pikiell is loyal to a fault. That is fine sometimes but this is a conversation we had before on this board. There were several who say that’s a good thing to others it’s a bad thing.
I will give you the “loyalty to a fault “ to some degree.. but there’s a fine line between loyalty and simply having faith in a player to prove themselves. That said, Pike I feel has learned to be more hard nosed this season overall, especially after getting burned in portal.

Reactions: Scarlet83

Nah what we said was we don't have repeatable offense we can go back to time and time again (watch teams like Purdue, Creighton, UConn, etc run an offense compared to what we're doing on offense), which makes things difficult for our players.

But even when we do get clean looks, we can't hit open shots. Both can be true.

Since he's been here, the offense has ranged from average to horrible, and the years in which it has been average are infrequent. You can guess at or even know the reasons. It doesn't matter. Either way, the offenses under Pike need fixing.

Next year could be great. And if it's not, it could be a disaster.

If all Pike takes from this is not to wait, that would be unfortunate.

Of course, some of that is on the players, but Pike tolerated all season an incredibly selfish team with guards who would charge into heavy traffic and never look for the kick out. Actions can come first, and then the love for one another can develop. Perhaps in the off-season, Pike can get some mentoring from Lisa Bluder.
Agree with your post.
Blunder is the Iowa coach, what do you think Pike can pick her brain on?

Reactions: coldsprings
So, let’s give it a rest.

He DID bring these guys in however, so you live and die with what you recruit, period. He should take a hit for that.

That said. Scrub this season. Clean house.

Say Bye to Chol, Cliff, Simpson, Wolf, Oskar, Mag.

Keep JMike, JWill, Gavin, Big E.

Get some offensive support and experience from the portal to help the Fab Freshmen and let’s get better!
Thanks for starting this conversation, agree with your flush players.
Next season starts now, it’s going to be a fun off season.
Listening to Pike’s Press conference he seems to be looking at what he can do to make next year great.
Hopefully this seasons Shortcomings become next year’s strength.
I am pulling for Pike to be the greatest GM, Head coach he can be.
Next year is a great opportunity for everyone involved. Including us Fans!!!
Go RU!!!
I am willing to send funds Pike’s way as soon as years version of the team leaves the locker room!

Reactions: SBP
Nah what we said was we don't have repeatable offense we can go back to time and time again (watch teams like Purdue, Creighton, UConn, etc run an offense compared to what we're doing on offense), which makes things difficult for our players.

But even when we do get clean looks, we can't hit open shots. Both can be true.
I thought you overemphasized the scheme aspect of it and underemphasized the player aspect of it. There are no schemes that you can run that work (repetitively) if the players can't make shots. Our players struggled because they aren't good at 3 pointers, midrange jump shots, floaters, post moves, or layups. There is no offense you can run that results in shots other than those shots. Also, if you can't threaten with 3pt shots in particular, or have multiple scoring threats, then the whole D collapses and you can't run anything.

Put another way: I don't think the shots we miss have been worse looks than the shots other teams make. In fact, I see talented players draining really tough shots over our D. Repeatably. And our players missing comparatively easier shots. Again and again.

So while I very much enjoy the pod and respect your opinion, I think you got this one wrong.

Last edited:
1) The team gets good looks, we just don't have players that can make the shots
Mostly true..

And I have never seen a player able to get open looks as effectively as Simpson who is so unable to convert any real measure of thsoe looks. The poor shooting is astounding.

Have not seen anyone makle this comparison but it appears apt:

Simpson's wide open looks that go awry are to basketball what Wimsatt's wide open pass conversion opportunities are to football.

There has been a lot of handwringing as to both--will Wimsatt get more accurate?--will Simpson will become a better shooter? Can these skills be taught or improved sufficiently-we certainly have two clear cut case studies.

Mostly true..

And I have never seen a player able to get open looks as effectively as Simpson who is so unable to convert any real measure of thsoe looks. The poor shooting is astounding.

Have not seen anyone makle this comparison but it appears apt:

Simpson's wide open looks that go awry are to basketball what Wimsatt's wide open pass conversion opportunities are to football.

There has been a lot of handwringing as to both--will Wimsatt get more accurate?--will Simpson will become a better shooter? Can these skills be taught or improved sufficiently-we certainly have two clear cut case studies.
Interesting points. Simpson in particular is an enigma. 81% FT shooter that has the agility and skills to create his own shot...that usually equates to a quality scorer. But despite his feathery FT shooting touch, Simpson can't convert the good looks he creates.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
He recruited these guys with his focus on defense.
He coaches and practices these guys with his focus on defense.

BUT to be fair and to the OP first part.... and it isn't something I've seen all season. But for this one game I saw guys were wide open left and right and they couldn't freaking hit a damn thing. On their home court. Never seen a 6'8" guy get stuffed on so many layups (in one game).
Maybe we should stop practicing at the APC and go back to the RAC at least for the day prior. (kinda kidding, kinda not)

I will give you the “loyalty to a fault “ to some degree.. but there’s a fine line between loyalty and simply having faith in a player to prove themselves. That said, Pike I feel has learned to be more hard nosed this season overall, especially after getting burned in portal.
No this is about loyalty … Faith is good for 3-4 games… that faith aspect loses a great deal after 1/2 - 3/4 of a season.Give us the baby brigade of 2024 J.Williams, Gavin G. JMike and Ogbole and the 4-5 transfers from portal who can shoot … then go from there.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Agree with your post.
Blunder is the Iowa coach, what do you think Pike can pick her brain on?
Building a team culture that is 100% team-first. Bluder did this even with a GOAT on her team. Her GOAT is also an assists leader. Her players are so team-oriented that watching them play is like watching art in motion—the exact opposite of RU, which is like listening to painful discordant music.

Building a team culture that is 100% team-first. Bluder did this even with a GOAT on her team. Her GOAT is also an assists leader. Her players are so team-oriented that watching them play is like watching art in motion—the exact opposite of RU, which is like listening to painful discordant music.
I agree with you 100%. I am just not sure in today's NIL world a team first mentality is possible. Maybe I am too cynical but at the P6 level I just think guys wants their $$$ and are unwilling to sacrifice for the team.

That 'itsallaboutme' attitude may be a permanent feature of college sports going forward, not just at RU

I agree with you 100%. I am just not sure in today's NIL world a team first mentality is possible. Maybe I am too cynical but at the P6 level I just think guys wants their $$$ and are unwilling to sacrifice for the team.
I agree with you that it's much harder, but a great coach should still be able to show players it's to their advantage to win. Winning teams with team players get more exposure and more attention.

I'm old enough to remember the great John Wooden UCLA teams. One year, Sidney Wicks was tossed from the starting lineup for most of the season, for his selfish play. Wicks eventually learned and became rookie of the year in the NBA.

Pike is no Bluder or Wooden, but he missed an opportunity this year to try out a no-team, no-play rule.

Simpson can't make a wide open 12-15 footer. That's not on Pike

Etc etc etc

The offensive system isn't great but we miss tons of open shots and layups which isn't the coach's fault

Reactions: Loyal-Son and SBP
Was thinking we have the nature vs nurture experiment happening with Wimsatt and Simpson.

Next year will tell as the accuracy issue has been detailed at length regarding both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT