ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 9 SETON HALL: Change

A well deserved win. I'm not gonna nit pick about some faults I saw but I will say I get nervous every time Hyatt puts the ball on the floor. He's a turnover waiting to happen. Even when he doesn't turn it over and drives to the basket, he misses more layups than he makes. Sorry if I put a damper on him since I really like him as a teammate on this team but he does give me anxiety.
I liked the drive to the basket where he forgot to bring the ball, but overall he was a good contributor.

The recap still is painted with some items that don't fit within the reality of game flow and it comes down to the guards and getting open 3s.

The guards found Hyatt for open 3s early .....Hyatt drove into the paint and found Gavin for a 3.....Oskar entered into his role when Hyatt got his 2nd foul in the 1st half.........the notion that Hyatt had minutes reduced was based on the 2 fouls early......but there are still too many untimely drives and sketchy entry passes......he needs to play better but the 3s set the tone of the game.

Noah Fernandes played lights out again....I thought his game vs Wake was also very good, but got lost in the fans meltdown about the final score, how Cliff played poorly and Gavin going 0-5. Fernandes in a matchup against SHU and Wake, gives RU shot making and shot creating, at the end of the shot clock..........that was not available last year, we didn't have that aspect available.

On Mawot Mag......patience running thin for sure waiting for his return.....his return takes 10 minutes away from Woolfolk....and maybe 10 more minutes split from Hyatt and Oskar. He wasn't just good, he was excellent.....he pressed up on defense and disrupted drives...he challenged shots....by waiting as long as he did (December was always more realistic than October), he returned and was in sync vs SHU. With some time between games, this return timeline allows him the ability to see how he recovers and can ramp up into January and beyond.

If the guards or backcourt can survive a off game from Derek Simpson....and no Austin Williams.....you have 33 excellent minutes from Davis.....sometimes fans need to actually see something happen once or twice, but it takes longer for reality to set in.

The game really was a tone setter by Davis.....he challenged the opponent and increased the ability to get cheap baskets.....playing good defense last year, was fine, but it rarely paid off with a layup or easy baskets. With this backcourt potentially taking and hitting 3s AND having some chances to slow down opponents or get deflections, it has the potential to travel.

By not force feeding Cliff, adding Davis and Mag defense and hustle and Fernandes taking timely 3s and Gavin, Hyatt taking 3s, there's a path to winning.

I honestly don't think RU played that well, but they played hard.....that starts with the guard pressure, spreads to Mag being a pain in the neck and Cliff playing well.

I would be somewhat cautious on optimistic things, because I think SHU is small.....I think SHU had no answers for Cliff.....and SHU pressed and smothered RU into 43 points at the RAC last year and understood, that RU didnt handle backcourt pressure well last year...... It takes looking at some games and making a decision to revamp lineups this year.......and that's with Davis , who returned the favor towards SHU at the Rock. SHU didn't get anything in transition and we made them play halfcourt basketball.....

There's upside to this roster folks, but we need to build upon this. The goal for this year remains the same. Find minutes for Griffiths, Davis, Simpson and Woolfolk.....these steps forward aid in finding out if these players can become what Mag has developed into and became last year and this year.....a reliable player that is getting better and improving, that we can count on next year for 2024-25.
I tend to agree that they played hard rather than really well. Cliff was much better. They hit 3 pt shots so that masks some deficiencies that are more glaring when shots are not falling. They again had trouble finishing around the rim. The ball moved better with JMike at the point then with Derek. DS was guilty of too much dribbling without a purpose. They also hit their FT's which kept SHU at bay toward the end. There is still a lot of work to do if they want to avoid playing the first night of the conference tournament.

Was at game. Sat in section 17.

Seton Hall fans are so down on their team and most I spoke to were not to knowledge of our players !

Tonjght was a potential season saving win!
In the spirit of FIFY, the following change is an improvement:

Seton Hall fans are so down on their team and most I spoke to were not knowledgable! 😉

Really needed that game. Still will remain cautiously optimistic. A lot of things went well. Some here to stay, others maybe. Just Not sure we can count on 50% on 3s and opponents shooting 15%/59% (3s/FT). Two concerning stats.. We shot 34% on two point shots and gave up 16 offensive rebounds. Recurring themes there. Feels so much better with Mag back.
This is definitely a factor. Any time you shoot 50% from 3 and the other team shoots 15% you're going to win. The coach is going to have out coached the other teams etc

The hustle was better. The rebounding was better. Mag was everything we knew he would be. Cliff owned the paint and dominated with boards blocks and dunks, but we hit 3's and they missed 3's

We don't have a star go to player who we can rely on. Maybe one will emerge. Noah showing signs. What we saw against SHU was different players stepping up at different times.

Griffiths Hyatt Davis Noah all had a stretch of play where they made a few buckets. They each took turns throughout the game stepping up. 4 players in double figures and Hyatt with 9 so almost 5

Add in Mag and Cliff's play on defense. Wolf limited minutes but actually rebounded the way he is capable. Palm limited minutes but hit a huge 3 and dove on the floor. Everyone contributed so it just felt like a complete TEAM victory

Reactions: hiwater
13 Paragraphs and not quite the adoration and attention that 13 paragraphs and hours of your life would have you think it’s worth to keep wasting your life doing this. I suggest getting a life so that you don’t have any regrets at your death bed. When you are minutes to death you will look back and say what did i do with my life.
You suggest that someone get a life and yet your handle is “365Poster24Seven”. The irony is lost on you.

• Haha
Reactions: hiwater and Scangg
13 Paragraphs and not quite the adoration and attention that 13 paragraphs and hours of your life would have you think it’s worth to keep wasting your life doing this. I suggest getting a life so that you don’t have any regrets at your death bed. When you are minutes to death you will look back and say what did i do with my life.
If that's not the pot calling the kettle black...

lol you are no one to talk. You live in someone’s basement and had to move out of NJ because you could not afford it. Your family is embarrassed of you. You can’t afford premium while a bunch of us simply refuse to pay it as long as it a run the way it is. Lol
You have some serious mental issues.
Sick minded , deranged blight on this forum

Get a job too low-iq cheapo

There will be roster changes because of graduations and players leaving for the transfer portal.The biggest concern will be the center position if Cliff doesn't return.Harper and Bailey are difference makers who will be the go to scorers at crunch time.The excitement level will be at a very high from the first practice to the games in post season.
Summerville may not have Cliffs hops, but he has much more skilled as a mid range shooter. I would also include Summerville as a top player.

Last edited:
Reactions: goru7
I don’t care what the stats were, JMike was clearly leaps and bounds better than Miller immediately. Crazy comparison.
Particularly with his handle. Miller had no handle and could not bring the ball up the court under pressure to save his life. Davis has the quicks and handle of Young. He is nearly impossible to trap. He also plays much better D than Millar ever did. Miller ran with his guy, slowed his feet, and put his chest into the side of his man as his man dribbled by. He was constantly picking up quick fouls that way. There just is no comparison.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Particularly with his handle. Miller had no handle and could not bring the ball up the court under pressure to save his life. Davis has the quicks and handle of Young. He is nearly impossible to trap. He also plays much better D than Millar ever did. Miller ran with his guy, slowed his feet, and put his chest into the side of his man as his man dribbled by. He was constantly picking up quick fouls that way. There just is no comparison.
Completely agree. Miller was way overrated on the message boards as a defender, and he was a complete zero on offense.

JMike is a HUMONGOUS upgrade over Miller. Heck, I think he’s an upgrade over Simpson, as he has a better handle, is way more physical, and is much smarter with the ball.

Completely agree. Miller was way overrated on the message boards as a defender, and he was a complete zero on offense.

JMike is a HUMONGOUS upgrade over Miller. Heck, I think he’s an upgrade over Simpson, as he has a better handle, is way more physical, and is much smarter with the ball.
We do have to start having a discussion about Derek as he seems to not be ascending but digressing. Which should never happen as a sophomore. As previously discussed he has to stop dribbling endlessly , move the ball like a point guard should , be decisive and if he is going to beat his man , do so and pull it up for his jumper. He has had more than a few shots blocked at the rim against our better opponents so he has use head fakes and pump fakes to let his defender blow by and then softly kiss it off the glass. He has to play smarter and a lot better.

Reactions: hiwater
I don’t care what the stats were, JMike was clearly leaps and bounds better than Miller immediately. Crazy comparison.
If there is any comparison to be made with JMike - it would be JY. They both are super fast, great defenders and sometimes are a little out of control on offense. JMike will end up much better than JY.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT