ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy Flacco Transferring To RU?

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Tommy Flacco, Joe Flacco's younger brother appears to be transferring to RU. Nice QB depth move if true. I always said Joe would've transferred to RU instead of UDel if Pitt was in a different conference at the time.

Maybe like Joe, he's a late bloomer who is completely unspectacular in college, but excels in the pro arena.

He must think he is as good, or better then anyone we have or will have. Haven't seen his tape, but the kid has big stones to leave Western Michigan, where he was a backup, for Rutgers. Where more than likely he will also be a backup.......if he makes the team. Maybe he just wants a better degree. I guess we will see.
OK, just went on the Western Michigan site, he is 6' tall and 200 pounds, in 2015 he was 10 for 12 for a couple hundred yards, also ran for 55 yards. In 2016 he didn't even play, and considering that WM went undefeated(lost to Wisconsin in a Bowl game) last year, my guess is that they have a pretty good QB already. Like I said, if he makes the team.
That whole Flacco family is pretty talented and successful, the pressure for him to follow suit must be really high.

Last edited:
He must think he is as good, or better then anyone we have or will have. Haven't seen his tape, but the kid has big stones to leave Western Michigan, where he was a backup, for Rutgers. Where more than likely he will also be a backup.......if he makes the team. Maybe he just wants a better degree. I guess we will see.
Well, WMU is a lot better team and likely deeper than RU. The fact that he didn't get an offer to transfer to Minny says something though.

Or he could just be homesick. It's an adjustment to move halfway across the country and think life is the same as back home.

Reactions: KnightsofChrome
He is a much better runner than his brother. Did he redshirt at WMU or will he have 2 years to play at RU after sitting out this year?

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2015/09/western_michigans_tom_flacco_a.html

https://www.hustlebelt.com/2017/7/1...western-michigan-football-program-quarterback
Flacco served as the backup for Zach Terrell the last two seasons, primarily as a garbage time or change of pace quarterback. Over his career, Flacco accumulated 10/13 for 188 yards for one touchdown by air and 38 rushes for 340 yards and two touchdowns.

Flacco, who stands at six-foot-one, 195 lb., was projected to fight for the starting quarterback position with Jon Wassink in Tim Lester’s first year at the helm of the Broncos.

Besides Wassink, there are four other quarterbacks listed on the WMU roster, including former University of Illinois QB Alex Mussat.

Flacco still has two years of eligibility left after his redshirt transfer year to the program he heads to next if the reports are correct. Flacco is a New Jersey native, so there is a possibilty he could move closer to home.

Biggest recruit since belichicks kid played here.

Always thought belichicks kid was misused. How did he not get any PT?

Belichik's son was never a real player here, but a 'Coach in training'. He was probably the 3rd/4th team long snapper.
Smart move by our HC, as it put him in good standing with Bill Belichik, should he need it for the future.
Steve Belichek now the Safeties Coach for the Patriots.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
To those knocking Tom Flacco,
1. I am on board with any NJ kid that wants to be at RU and is wanted by the coaching staff.
2. Not saying he is his brother, but Joe was pushed aside by Pitt and turned out alright.

RU can use all the help it can get. We should be welcoming Tom not turning our nose.
With all due respect, I haven't seen anyone here "knock" or "turning our nose" to TF. We are merely speculating his potential contribution to a QB room filled with QB's. That is what this board is for, or am I missing something?

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
With all due respect, I haven't seen anyone here "knock" or "turning our nose" to TF. We are merely speculating his potential contribution to a QB room filled with QB's. That is what this board is for, or am I missing something?[/QUOTE
"adds little" and "not elite" seems like a knock and turning a nose to me but whatever. I'm happy to have another Jersey kid reppin Jersey.

With all due respect, I haven't seen anyone here "knock" or "turning our nose" to TF. We are merely speculating his potential contribution to a QB room filled with QB's. That is what this board is for, or am I missing something?[/QUOTE
"adds little" and "not elite" seems like a knock and turning a nose to me but whatever. I'm happy to have another Jersey kid reppin Jersey.
The not elite part wasn't a knock. Just having a little fun with the age old question ...

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/brewery-asks-bottom-cans-joe-flacco-elite/story?id=47351498

http://www.espn.com/nfl/hot/_/id/7178216

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-...s-fewer-nfl-fans-think-joe-flacco-is-elite-qb

Reactions: needmorecowbell
If this turns out as it is being presented - then he should be extended a hearty welcome & given praise for deciding to dedicate himself to making what ever contribution he can to the Rutgers University program.
He is a walk-on ... he is not consuming a scholarship spot - he / his family will be sending a substantial check to Rutgers to cover tuition, room & board & other fees.
In essence, he is a 'wind fall' - an experienced, knowledgeable, apparently able-bodied and dedicated addition to the program - who comes from a winning program - -whether he sees the field will be determined over time.
No idea what he may have discussed with the staff - no idea what he desires for the future - maybe he is interested in different positions ( hey - maybe his brother said - "do like Julian Edelman did and become a sure handed receiver") .... it would seem that he could have gotten a full ride to play QB at a less competitive level (FCS or DII) if being the starting QB was his top priority.

When a kid is dedicated to carving out 30+ rigorous hours per week while carrying a full academic load - and doing it all on their own dime - they deserve a resounding welcome & appreciation.

Just read that he is soon to be 23, will sit out this season as a transfer and will then have 2 years of eligibility.

He might not have a ton of experience but that could be some valuable vet maturity off the bench, and on the practice field.

Reactions: RUMBA-JK
Given he grey shirted, and will now sit out as a transfer. What will his school work load look like? Can he start grad courses?

I saw this last night on Twitter and wasn't sure if it was a joke. I know he's transferring, but it seems like this started as some inside joke among those weird Pardon My Take guys. I'm not fluent in Twitter, but isn't there a Barstool Rutgers guy that the main guys make fun of for being a Rutgers fan?

Belichik's son was never a real player here, but a 'Coach in training'. He was probably the 3rd/4th team long snapper.
Smart move by our HC, as it put him in good standing with Bill Belichik, should he need it for the future.
Steve Belichek now the Safeties Coach for the Patriots.

He is. And we added another RU lax alum, Chris Mattes, to the Patriots organization last week. He is in the player development.

interesting - graduated High School - 2014
during fall of his HS senior year he was reported to have a 4.5 40-yard dash time
- and athletic prowess, which was said to be the most impressive of all five Flacco siblings

and - In 2014, the Philadelphia Phillies selected him the 32nd round of the MLB Draft

Just read that he is soon to be 23, will sit out this season as a transfer and will then have 2 years of eligibility.

He might not have a ton of experience but that could be some valuable vet maturity off the bench, and on the practice field.

How is that even possible? Did he start high school at 17?

Biggest recruit since belichicks kid played here.

Always thought belichicks kid was misused. How did he not get any PT?

Pls, you've got to be kidding. Steven Belichick was a RU lacrosse player with no CFB experience on the roster as a long snapper. AFAIK he never saw FB game action.

This was a quid pro quo deal where Greg got Steven CFB experience on his resume so his Dad could tout Greg to Tampa as a HC candidate. Steven is now a coach with the Pats working for his Dad, thanks to Greg getting him on the roster with RU FB.

I will bet that you are the only RU FB fan who thinks that Steven Belichick could have brought something to the table for RU FB.

How is that even possible? Did he start high school at 17?
Just looked it up.

A November b-day so he just missed cut off, must have been held back at some point, graduated when he was 19. Which isn't that odd.
Grey shirt puts him at 20, 21 at end of frosh year, 22 at end of soph year which is this off season. Then sitting out a year due to transfer, so he will go into his Jr year of eligibility as a 23 yr old. Turns 24 during the season.

I think with the prep school option guys playing at 24 is not that uncommon. I remember Kirksey being on the older side.

Grant is 23 and turns 24 in November.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT