November 12 Bryant BTN+

November 18 Howard BTN+

November 27 St Peter’s BTN+

December 16 LIU BTN+

January 9 Indiana Peacock

March 13 BIG 5:30 Peacock

March 13 BIG 9:00 Peacock

Maybe NJPTV or NJN will pick it up.

Dick Landis, Pat Scanlon, or Bill Perry will handle play-by-play.
So a subscription service pays for the rights to stream a game and then the B1G is going to allow a station to broadcast the game? Great if it happens.

Might need to readjust your sarcasm meter, Loyal. It's not 1994 anymore.
images

Games being on different streaming services should be a boost to sports bars and microbreweries.

Don't want to leave you hangin'....

NJPTV (New Jersey Public Television), which changed its name to NJN (New Jersey Network), was the over-the-air station that regularly broadcast RU-PU games in the 1970s and 80s.

Over the years, Dick Landis, Pat Scanlon, and Bill Perry were the three main play-by-play announcers. I believe Landis is still living. I did a quick internet search and it appears he's 89, residing in North Carolina. Scanlon owns a production company, Shamrock Communications. I couldn't find anything on Perry.

Last edited:
Reactions: RULoyal

NJPTV (New Jersey Public Television), which changed its name to NJN (New Jersey Network), was the over-the-air station that regularly broadcast RU-PU games in the 1970s and 80s.

Over the years, Dick Landis, Pat Scanlon, and Bill Perry were the three main play-by-play announcers. I believe Landis is still living. I did a quick internet search and it appears he's 89, residing in North Carolina. Scanlon owns his own production company. I couldn't find anything on Perry.
Thanks, it was before my second cup of coffee. If I had really given it more thought it probably would have penetrated my unusually thick skull.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Booo!!! new streaming subs sucks. say no to the greed. they should be paying me to watch some of those teams.

Over the years, Dick Landis, Pat Scanlon, and Bill Perry were the three main play-by-play announcers. I believe Landis is still living. I did a quick internet search and it appears he's 89, residing in North Carolina. Scanlon owns a production company, Shamrock Communications. I couldn't find anything on Perry.
Yeah Silver Shamrock

So a subscription service pays for the rights to stream a game and then the B1G is going to allow a station to broadcast the game? Great if it happens.
Prime does it for NFL. The local markets broadcast the game.

Prime does it for NFL. The local markets broadcast the game.
That is mandated by the NFL Anti-Siphoning Laws. I do not believe any other US Sports have any similar rules.

ESPN's Monday Night Football, Amazon Prime Video's Thursday Night Football, as well as selected games exclusively aired by NFL Network, ESPN+, or Peacock, are only televised nationally on pay television or subscription-based streaming . In these cases, NFL rules require simulcasts of the games to be syndicated to television stations within the home markets of the teams that are participating. This ensures that the games are still available on broadcast TV in the local markets, whilst maintaining cable exclusivity for the games outside of the market.

Reactions: RUinOhio
Booo!!! new streaming subs sucks. say no to the greed. they should be paying me to watch some of those teams.

Would these games requiring a cable subscription (BTN) be different?
BTN is a subscription service exactly the same as Peacock.

In fact, BTN requires you to get a cable subscription for some games and ALSO an online subscription (BTN+) for other games.
Excessively more greed than Peacock.
Dropping your BTN subscription anytime soon?

Yes, very true, I pay for the sports package (btn, yes, msg) and refuse to pay for any additional sports streaming

BTN comes with the standard YouTube TV subscription + BTN overflow channels. I was stunned to see that, living in Florida as I do, but was damn sure happy about it.
Yeah. It's awesome. Set the DVR to record all Rutgers sports and that's it. I actually set it to record all college football as well. No searching for channels. It just records it for me. Then every game is listed in the completed section.
But the best part is the "watch key plays" option. I can watch a full game in 10 min via 35 or 40 key plays. It's awesome.

Funny enough - if all Big Ten games were broadcast exclusively over BTN+ or Peacock, you could pay 1 price and watch every single game with no issues.

Streaming allows all games at the same time to be viewed. No limits like on the cable subscription platforms.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I won't even switch the output to watch NFL games they put on Amazon

So you’re just not going to watch the games listed above by the OP? I’d pay the monthly BTN Plus fee to literally watch one of these if I had to. It’s like $12 or something.
I’ll tune in on radio or go in person if I can grab tickets. I have youtube tv, and as the price goes up each year there are fewer games I can watch which is a waste. In person is obviously more expensive than the btn/peacock subscription but nothing beats the rac.

Reactions: GotEmmm
So you’re just not going to watch the games listed above by the OP? I’d pay the monthly BTN Plus fee to literally watch one of these if I had to. It’s like $12 or something.
We need to HOLD the line! Nobody pay for that shit!! If we don't HOLD THE LINE,in five years there will be 14 different streaming devices you will be paying for, one for each game.

Reactions: Joey Bags
We need to HOLD the line! Nobody pay for that shit!! If we don't HOLD THE LINE,in five years there will be 14 different streaming devices you will be paying for, one for each game.

HOLD the line!
And then Rutgers gets less media money.

The reason for all these different avenues is because the Big Ten and member schools want more and more money.

Even if you HOLD the line and everything in on one central platform (BTN+ for example) the cost to you will likely be much higher per month.

HOLD the line!

The reason for all these different avenues is because the Big Ten and member schools want more and more money.

Even if you HOLD the line and everything in on one central platform (BTN+ for example) the cost to you will likely be much higher per month.
for the teams i follow i pay the direct tv package necessary to get YES and MSG, (i believe BTN is included in basic package)
i will not spend ONE DOLLAR MORE for any other streaming services to watch the teams if they are not on their usual primary channels.

there is a difference between regular donating what i can, when i can, vs them GAUGING THE FU*K OUT OF YOU , and NICKEL AND DIMING wherever they can with multiple platforms the fan has to pay for in order to watch the team, because they feel as if they have the fan by the balls and it's the easiest way to SQUEEZE OUT another couple bucks out of us. where is the line??? six more?? that's cool with you?

Reactions: BOGDANOVICH
for the teams i follow i pay the direct tv package necessary to get YES and MSG, (i believe BTN is included in basic package)
i will not spend ONE DOLLAR MORE for any other streaming services to watch the teams if they are not on their usual primary channels.

there is a difference between regular donating what i can, when i can, vs them GAUGING THE FU*K OUT OF YOU , and NICKEL AND DIMING wherever they can with multiple platforms the fan has to pay for in order to watch the team, because they feel as if they have the fan by the balls and it's the easiest way to SQUEEZE OUT another couple bucks out of us. where is the line??? six more?? that's cool with you?
I mean... yeah. The only option used to be to pay $175 for a all-inclusive cable package. Now you just have the option to personally package as many services as you desire, i.e. $85 for Hulu Live, $12 for BTN+, $6 for Peacock, $12 for Netflix, $13 for Prime, etc.

BTN Plus is good for watching 60 Minute football replays at any time, often just a few hours after the game..
I have Peacock, just the cheaper version, as most of the TV shows they offer, I already have on DVD..
They are coming out with a new "Monk" Movie in early December, which along with the select hoop games, makes it worthwhile..
Paramount Plus is Great! watched the 1883. 1923 series, caught up on the first season of Equalizer, which I missed, and can watch watch any episode of Blue Bloods at any time. all commercial free. Also any of the Classic Twilight Zone. Linked w showtime, so can drop that from my cable plan.
Did the Month trial on Hulu to watch "Only Murders in the Building" - all 3 seasons. didn't mind the commercials because its free. Cancelled before paid renewal was due, as most of the other programming is the Reality Junk..

HOLD the line!

Money. Money.Money. Yes, the B10 and the schools want more and more money. The media companies want more money. But how much is enough? At some point somebody has to say that enough is enough. While there is all this new money for the media and the conference members, the quality of the fan experience just gets diminished. Maybe, just maybe, more money is not the answer. Maybe replacing the $50 million football/basketball palace with the $100 million facility and then a $1 billion facility is crazy if it continues ad infinitum.

It is an arms race that is out of control. Each school is afraid to stop this insanity because they are afraid their program will fall behind. What it is going to take is a group of schools to refuse to play the arms race game. That probably will not happen, so more and more money will be needed to keep up. And we may indeed come to the day that 12 subscription services will be needed to watch 12 games in a season. Huge amounts of money will be made, billion dollar facilities will be built, but, at the end of the day, the college sports fan will suffer.

The system is broken. Greed has broken it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT