ADVERTISEMENT

Tweets About ESPN, Big Ten

Fox paying 250 million puts pressure on ESPN, because the B1G can walk.

To me this is a bargaining strategy for the Big Ten. There is NO way that you can negotiate the best deal with ESPN, if you are NOT willing to walk away. Same with ESPN, they can't negotiate their best deal if ESPN is unwilling to go without the Big Ten.

The issue is I think ESPN needs the Big Ten a lot more than it used to. I doubt that ESPN wants to be absent in the midwest. Why have ESPN in so many midwest states that have no real pro sports, if they aren't going to have ESPN Big Ten Football? You do not want to give a major portion of the country a very good reason to cut the cord. Sport fans are basically the only people who can be relied on to watch advertising.

So very smart threatening ESPN, without doing it official with Delaney. Delaney has said nothing but nice things about ESPN, without say yes to ESPN or no to ESPN.

Consider this, the hottest coaches in the NCAA are Saban, Meyer and Harbaugh. Are you really going to let two of the hottest big time head coaches go? I think not.
I think what they need is a reasonable alternative that provides the same exposure as ESPN. If they have that then I think walking away is a real threat, not an idle one. To me that comes in the form of increased exposure on the broadcast networks of CBS/NBC like I mentioned above. But any alternative that gives similar exposure is leverage for them.

From this article:

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/big-ten-bullish-on-future-tv-rights-20160518

The Big Ten and ESPN have enjoyed a relationship for 25-plus years. Big Ten teams appeared in three of the four most-watched regular-season college football games in 2015, including top-viewed Michigan State-Ohio State. On Thanksgiving weekend, Iowa-Nebraska posted ABC’s highest-rated Black Friday game in 10 years, and Ohio State-Michigan followed with the highest-rated early-afternoon Saturday game in 18 years. Among 2015 regular-season games, the Big Ten owned three of the top five games on the WatchESPN app.

Again no disrespect.

What NJ/NY viewing audience will Rutgers capture, if the football teams have losing records and fail to make bowl games and the basketball team can't even make the NIT.

You have to win to have relevance.
I think you have to look back at Rutgers recent records and then make that decision. You cannot base your reaction on just last year. Last year we had way too many off the field issues that affected the outcome. You need players to win and so many players were suspended. Also you need a coach to be there, which ours was not.
Go back to 2005 and Rutgers recent winning records. We went to 9 bowl games since then, which means we had winning records those 9 years. We actually went to a bowl game our FIRST year in the Big Ten.

I see that Pitt since 2005 has gone to 8 bowl games, which means they had 8 winning records.
Just because you were ranked last year and we weren't doesn't quite make us that different. We are looked upon as a team on the rise with Ash and new crew taking over. With money coming in we will be able to play with the big boys.

And market share, what would you choose if you were the B1G honcho making the decisions: Pittsburgh market at #23 or New York #1 and Philadelphia #4 for Rutgers and Washington DC at #9 and Baltimore at #26 for the Terps. Kind of a no brainer.

Fox paying 250 million puts pressure on ESPN, because the B1G can walk.

To me this is a bargaining strategy for the Big Ten. There is NO way that you can negotiate the best deal with ESPN, if you are NOT willing to walk away. Same with ESPN, they can't negotiate their best deal if ESPN is unwilling to go without the Big Ten.

The issue is I think ESPN needs the Big Ten a lot more than it used to. I doubt that ESPN wants to be absent in the midwest. Why have ESPN in so many midwest states that have no real pro sports, if they aren't going to have ESPN Big Ten Football? You do not want to give a major portion of the country a very good reason to cut the cord. Sport fans are basically the only people who can be relied on to watch advertising.

So very smart threatening ESPN, without doing it official with Delaney. Delaney has said nothing but nice things about ESPN, without say yes to ESPN or no to ESPN.

Consider this, the hottest coaches in the NCAA are Saban, Meyer and Harbaugh. Are you really going to let two of the hottest big time head coaches go? I think not.

theB1GTerp has repeated in a different way what I said above...

ESPN needs the b1G

How do you get the ESPN to pay your price...you get someone else who really wants it to buy half...and leave half only available...

And you talk to others for real about the others

If you think that ESPN is not going to pony up...go take a GOOD look at matsarzsports.com and look at all of the TV spots that the big ten occupied on ESPN/ESPN2 and ABC at noon and 3;30

Then take a good look at what might replace them on those days if the B1G was elsewhere

ESPN needs the quality big ten inventory for day games. Without doubt

I keep having to pinch myself. We are in the best conference across the board and the wealthiest, soon to be by far.

And we have the right guy in charge who is about to have the ammunition to do the things needed to be done to go next level. Or maybe it's the level after that.

Agree with this 100%. I think Pat Hobbs is the man and poised to take this thing to a new level here over the next 10 years. I have no beef with Pitt or their fans whatsoever and I hope they knock off state this fall. However, our detractors in upstate NY are making stellar predictions such as "Rutgers will be kicked out of the Big Ten by 2023", that "Ash is dumb as rocks and is the next G-Rob" and lamenting that "Delaney really wanted SU but dragged his feet with the timing and settled for Rutgers". I know they like to claim we are delusional (and many of our fans/posters on this board are) but my God they are grasping at straws over there. Maybe Babers will bring an exciting offense that scores a lot of points but they will likely be giving up 30+ points per game as well. I just don't see that translating into making them a legit threat to FSU and Clemson. As far as Ash goes, even if he is a defensive minded "meathead" like Cuse fans are proclaiming, he did finally bring a spread offense to The Banks which is very smart given our recruiting footprint. That's one very important aspect those a##holes are overlooking. I know PSU is public enemy #1 around here but I still believe Cuse fans to be the scum of the earth. At least PSU has earned the right for their fans to talk s#it when it comes to football. Sorry but I'm not exactly overwhelmed by the Orange's 1959 national championship and Fiesta Bowl win 25 years ago.

Last edited:
Agree with this 100%. I think Pat Hobbs is the man and poised to take this thing to a new level here over the next 10 years. I have no beef with Pitt or their fans whatsoever and I hope they knock off state this fall. However, our detractors in upstate NY are making stellar predictions such as "Rutgers will be kicked out of the Big Ten by 2023", that "Ash is dumb as rocks and is the next G-Rob" and lamenting that "Delaney really wanted SU but dragged his feet with the timing and settled for Rutgers". I know they like to claim we are delusional (and many of our fans/posters on this board are) but my God they are grasping at straws over there. Maybe Babers will bring an exciting offense that scores a lot of points but they will likely be giving up 30+ points per game as well. I just don't see that translating into making them a legit threat to FSU and Clemson. As far as Ash goes, even if he is a defensive minded "meathead" like Cuse fans are proclaiming, he did finally bring a spread offense to The Banks which is very smart given our recruiting footprint. That's one very important aspect those a##holes are overlooking. I know PSU is public enemy #1 around here but I still believe Cuse fans to be the scum of the earth. At least PSU has earned the right for their fans to talk s#it when it comes to football. Sorry but I'm not exactly overwhelmed by the Orange's 1959 national championship and Fiesta Bowl win 25 years ago.

...if the B1G *wanted* cuse, cuse would *be* there. They *don't*, so they're *not*. Period. End of story.

...and cuse *knows* this on every level of conciousness, hence their dissociative, intensely projective reactions.

Joe O.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT