ADVERTISEMENT

Two Decommits from MSU and Other Tales of Woe

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
No, not trying to make our situation look any better. Just saying:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...ruiting-dantonio-naquan-abdul-jonah/75631414/

Michigan State's 2016 football recruiting class held steady at 20 verbal commitments and a national top-10 ranking from July until this week.

Now it's at 18 verbal commitments, a No. 12 rivals.com ranking and another pledge who is exploring other options. Jonah Morris, a 6-foot-4 defensive back/receiver from Akron, Ohio, who picked MSU over Notre Dame and others, told the Free Press in a text message that he wants to look around but that MSU still is "at the top of the list" of schools for him.
---------------------
In Other tales of Woe, WTF with Georgia Tech?

Lost to Virginia Tech last night.
3-7, no bowl this year, after being ranked #8 at the end of last season?
Watching the GT/VT game last night, the announcers kept saying how "young" the players were around their QB and that they don't have any play makers.

No, not trying to make our situation look any better. Just saying:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...ruiting-dantonio-naquan-abdul-jonah/75631414/

Michigan State's 2016 football recruiting class held steady at 20 verbal commitments and a national top-10 ranking from July until this week.

Now it's at 18 verbal commitments, a No. 12 rivals.com ranking and another pledge who is exploring other options. Jonah Morris, a 6-foot-4 defensive back/receiver from Akron, Ohio, who picked MSU over Notre Dame and others, told the Free Press in a text message that he wants to look around but that MSU still is "at the top of the list" of schools for him.
---------------------
In Other tales of Woe, WTF with Georgia Tech?

Lost to Virginia Tech last night.
3-7, no bowl this year, after being ranked #8 at the end of last season?
Watching the GT/VT game last night, the announcers kept saying how "young" the players were around their QB and that they don't have any play makers.
I wish you would have cited a few more examples, like a school dealing with player arrests and another dealing with irrational off the field coach behavior .

Then it would have been more impactful for me to point out that while some schools are dealing with single problems that are like RUs, we manage to have a coaching staff that has wrapped up the entire spectrum of ineptitude into a neat little package.

I wish you would have cited a few more examples, like a school dealing with player arrests and another dealing with irrational off the field coach behavior .

Then it would have been more impactful for me to point out that while some schools are dealing with single problems that are like RUs, we manage to have a coaching staff that has wrapped up the entire spectrum of ineptitude into a neat little package.

I am not a believer in let's feel good about ourselves because others are having problems. Nor am I a proponent of the multiple posts and unending research detailing how "bad" we are right now. For some posters, it appears they are doing research for a master's thesis, and they are trawling the depths of the ocean to extract data to point out how bad things are right now.

We get it. We know it. Do we need 15 posts a day on variants on the same theme.

I am sure I can find storied and not-so storied programs having multiple problems. But their problems are not R problems, and we should worry about cleaning up R house and not looking into the houses of others.

So, why did I post in the first place--just to change things up. Surprised at the decommits at MSU. It shows the fickle nature of recruits. I certainly hope it is not because MSU is not vying for the national championship, and they will switch their commitment to tOSU or Notre Dame (LOL) or Clemson (LOL).

Also, really surprised about Georgia Tech this year. Have a good friend who a Georgia Tech alum and rabid fan, and we have been busting each other's chops all season long on our teams' performances.

Two notes - we havent really had that many decommits.

The other is that as predicted, the class is dropping in the rankings as other schools fill out their classes. We are now at #44 - basically once a few more kids peel off (and I cant imagine that a few wont - given the uncertaininty that Flood will be back even if we keep him this year) we will be back to the standard sub-50 classes that Flood has brought in in the past.

Reactions: MoobyCow
If GT goes 5-7, it can still go to a bowl game this year since there won't be enough 6-6 or better teams in all likelihood to fill all of ESPN's live programming time spots. Actually, I believe it was GT who has already gone to a bowl with a losing record and that was just a few years back. IIRC, they went to the Sun Bowl, perhaps in its first year of association with the ACC.

But GT losing last night is good for the B1G in that ND has a win over GT, so the worse they are, the lower ND's SOS will be. And VT winning on the road last night is good for the B1G as well since OSU has a road win over them, thus improving OSU's SOS.

Some people might laugh at things like this but if you look back to 2003 (I believe), the case was actually made that RU kept USC out of the NC game, despite the fact that we didn't play them. It all boiled down to SOS calculations and end of season results. RU defeated Syracuse in its final game of the year. But the following week, SU upset ND in the Dome. USC had defeated ND earlier in the season, but that win was devalued a bit by those other results. And so, USC ended up going to the Rose Bowl while Oklahoma and Auburn(?) played in the NC game, which at the time was still one of the BCS bowls.

If GT goes 5-7, it can still go to a bowl game this year since there won't be enough 6-6 or better teams in all likelihood to fill all of ESPN's live programming time spots. Actually, I believe it was GT who has already gone to a bowl with a losing record and that was just a few years back. IIRC, they went to the Sun Bowl, perhaps in its first year of association with the ACC.

But GT losing last night is good for the B1G in that ND has a win over GT, so the worse they are, the lower ND's SOS will be. And VT winning on the road last night is good for the B1G as well since OSU has a road win over them, thus improving OSU's SOS.

Some people might laugh at things like this but if you look back to 2003 (I believe), the case was actually made that RU kept USC out of the NC game, despite the fact that we didn't play them. It all boiled down to SOS calculations and end of season results. RU defeated Syracuse in its final game of the year. But the following week, SU upset ND in the Dome. USC had defeated ND earlier in the season, but that win was devalued a bit by those other results. And so, USC ended up going to the Rose Bowl while Oklahoma and Auburn(?) played in the NC game, which at the time was still one of the BCS bowls.
GT has Miami and Georgia left to play. While it is possible they win both, it is unlikely.

I am not a believer in let's feel good about ourselves because others are having problems. Nor am I a proponent of the multiple posts and unending research detailing how "bad" we are right now. For some posters, it appears they are doing research for a master's thesis, and they are trawling the depths of the ocean to extract data to point out how bad things are right now.

We get it. We know it. Do we need 15 posts a day on variants on the same theme.

I am sure I can find storied and not-so storied programs having multiple problems. But their problems are not R problems, and we should worry about cleaning up R house and not looking into the houses of others.

So, why did I post in the first place--just to change things up. Surprised at the decommits at MSU. It shows the fickle nature of recruits. I certainly hope it is not because MSU is not vying for the national championship, and they will switch their commitment to tOSU or Notre Dame (LOL) or Clemson (LOL).

Also, really surprised about Georgia Tech this year. Have a good friend who a Georgia Tech alum and rabid fan, and we have been busting each other's chops all season long on our teams' performances.
So you started a thread about problems at other schools, 2 of the first 3 commenters used it for the "see, RU isn't so bad it happens to everybody" angle and then you use my comment for a response where you say that the negative posters " are trawling the depths of the ocean to extract data to point out how bad things are right now"??

Psychological projection, also known as blame shifting, is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unpleasant impulses by denying their existence while attributing them to others.

So you started a thread about problems at other schools, 2 of the first 3 commenters used it for the "see, RU isn't so bad it happens to everybody" angle and then you use my comment for a response where you say that the negative posters " are trawling the depths of the ocean to extract data to point out how bad things are right now"??

Psychological projection, also known as blame shifting, is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unpleasant impulses by denying their existence while attributing them to others.
OK. Whatever you say, Sigmund Fraud. Just was posting something else to talk about today. I've already said in multiple threads that I am on board with firing Flood.

Reactions: BuckRU
2012. Georgia Tech was 6-6, made the ACC title game and lost to Florida State to drop to 6-7. They beat USC in the Sun Bowl to finish 7-7.

OK. Whatever you say, Sigmund Fraud. Just was posting something else to talk about today. I've already said in multiple threads that I am on board with firing Flood.
Well, maybe talk about this bit of bad news instead:
on this date:
November 13, 1869 Rutgers plays Princeton at Princeton and loses 0–8

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT