ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler 1-14, Briyona 1-8

Originally posted by RC66:
No way you can overcome that.

Just a WTF aberration game.
This sadly is how you get beaten by an inferior opponent.

Originally posted by shields:

Canty is not a good shooter.
Davis is not a good shooter.

Our posts are not good shooters.

We are relying too much on three players who can score from mid-range.

Early in the 1st half I was talking out loud to myself re: Tyler "get her out of there". You could see she was out of it. Actually the whole team was pretty much out of it. Were not ready to play & it showed.

I love this team but the ladies have not shown up in high profile games all year. They need more mental toughness.

Any idea we haven't shown up for the big games, especially down the stretch folds?

Weren't we pretty good in money games under stringer through the years?

I think we have shown up for big games. We were 10-2 in our last 12 before Sunday, with the two losses being to Maryland by 11 pts each. In that time we beat then #19 Nebraska and then #21 Minnesota. We had been playing very well and very consistent, thats why I am just chalking this up to one of those things. I expect a different team versus NW.

Agree with the head scratching about putting Tyler in and even Canty when they aren't performing. Here's the thing: If you aren't having a good day shooting, then a good team player needs to find other ways to help their team. Tyler and Canty should each have no less than 4 assists per game as a guard. Tyler can't stop shooting and it is hurting the team. She is also very behind the tempo on defense. I think CVS did not coach this game to win, e.g. as she (per script) put Cynthia in briefly, she never even got a shot and she pulled her out. (not to mention that at that time in the game it was Canty playing the point and not going to her with the ball the second the defensive player came off her). To c Viv after 2-3 minutes she declared that did not work!
The Tyler experiment, however, lasted the whole game. In all of c Viv's years she surely must have recognized that was not working?

Not sure I agree. Tyler is too good a scorer for us to just give up on her. Shooters need to shoot. If she doesn't break the slump, we don't go very far in the post-season. None of the shots she took were forced and all were within her normal range. She needs to regain her confidence and that won't happen on the bench.

Originally posted by RUgrad:
I think we have shown up for big games. We were 10-2 in our last 12 before Sunday, with the two losses being to Maryland by 11 pts each. In that time we beat then #19 Nebraska and then #21 Minnesota. We had been playing very well and very consistent, thats why I am just chalking this up to one of those things. I expect a different team versus NW.
Agree with Grad. I kept saying to myself, How could NJIT beat Michigan? This game helped me understand. Let's see how we show up against NW.

There is a difference between being a pure shooter and a scorer.Douby I would consider a shooter while the three Rutgers players are scorers where they take lots of two point jump shots to make most of their points.Douby had a more varied offensive game making 3 pointers ,two pointers from drives to the basket and step back jumpers and also being a very good foul shooter .

As fans have seen all season the womens team success is largely determined by Scaife,Laney and Copper.When they are on Rutgers can score 70 points and win most of their games.In games like Michigan State Rutgers is shown as a flawed team because the other players on the team fail to make up for the poor offensive performers of the three top scorers.When it comes to tournament time there are no makeup games.The big three either perform based on their averages or it will be short stint for Rutgers.By now fans should know that and I can assure you opponents will be practicing the zone defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT