ADVERTISEMENT

Tyson Acuff - incoming transfer

Hmm - not sure how this is a fit. Yes, he averaged 22 ppg which is a lot but his 3 pt% was 29.2%. We have Ace and Dylan to fill the bucket. Did we need another high volume shooter?

His ft% is 81%. That we can use.

Reactions: RU_Mach and FastMJ
I love this move, now we need a center and let’s ride 🪓
He averaged 22 ppg which is a lot but his 3 pt% was 29.2%. We have Ace and Dylan to fill the bucket. Did we need another high volume shooter? However, I like that his FT% is 81%.

Why are you so high on this?

Hmm - not sure how this is a fit. Yes, he averaged 22 ppg which is a lot but his 3 pt% was 29.2%. We have Ace and Dylan to fill the bucket. Did we need another high volume shooter?

His ft% is 81%. That we can use.
In fairness - he shot over 39% as a sophomore and around 36% as a junior from 3.

In fairness - he shot over 39% as a sophomore and around 36% as a junior from 3.
And then 29.2% as a senior. And he took more and more shots each year. Maybe he'll bounce back to his percentage during the year in which he had the fewest three-point shots. But, overall, he's been wildly inconsistent from three. His lifetime percentage is 32.8.

Reactions: Knight Shift
6’4’’ shooting guard that shot 29% from 3?

I will trust Pike, but……..
Shot 39% and 35% from deep his sophomore and junior years, respectively. Won’t be asked to be a go-to scorer in the same way he was this year at EMU, reason to believe he’ll be more efficient in a less ball dominant role

Not sure there’s much to critique with the pick-up

And then 29.2% as a senior. And he took more and more shots each year. Maybe he'll bounce back to his percentage during the year in which he had the fewest three-point shots. But, overall, he's been wildly inconsistent from three. His lifetime percentage is 32.8.

I don’t think it’s fair to look at it this way. I’ve never seen the kid play - full disclosure, but in this case the stats speak for themselves. Clearly - Eastern Michigan didn’t have anyone else so the kid was essentially asked to take almost any shot this past season. His usage this past season was beyond insane. He attempted 506 shots. For perspective - Derek and Hyatt only took 280ish. Cliff 250. His usage was nothing like that at Duquesne and even his first year at EM he only took 330 shots. Way less.

This has been pointed out elsewhere but he was forced to put up a very high volume and was the focal point of every opponent’s defense last year due to being the only real scoring threat on that EMU team. He attempted 506 shots, the next highest on the team was 251.

The year prior he played with some other scoring threats and didn’t have to put up as many bad shots. The guy can score.

Makes think there is a chance jwill isnt coming back

We need depth at this position, not someone used to taking 25 shots and playing 40 minutes

I don’t know. Makes me think the kid said the right things and wants to use his last shot to play for a good team, actually win games, and compete for an NCAA bid for once. Maybe taking 506 shots isn’t so much fun when your constantly losing. His stats were way better on less usage the two prior seasons.

We need depth at this position, not someone used to taking 25 shots and playing 40 minutes
I don’t think that adding Acuff necessarily means JWill is leaving. Acuff will be more of a third scorer and JWill a playmaker type role. Acuff also allows for a lot more lineup flexibility so Ace and Dylan aren’t the only two scoring threats on the floor and have to play the whole game.

I don’t think it’s fair to look at it this way. I’ve never seen the kid play - full disclosure, but in this case the stats speak for themselves. Clearly - Eastern Michigan didn’t have anyone else so the kid was essentially asked to take almost any shot this past season. His usage this past season was beyond insane. He attempted 506 shots. For perspective - Derek and Hyatt only took 280ish. Cliff 250. His usage was nothing like that at Duquesne and even his first year at EM he only took 330 shots. Way less.
So you don't think it's fair to look at his overall percentage and how he performed each year. Instead, you think it's fair to highlight only his performance in only a couple of years, starting with his play for a 1-16 team in the Atlantic 10. OK.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Shot 39% and 35% from deep his sophomore and junior years, respectively. Won’t be asked to be a go-to scorer in the same way he was this year at EMU, reason to believe he’ll be more efficient in a less ball dominant role

39…35…29…..25?

. . . The year prior he played with some other scoring threats and didn’t have to put up as many bad shots. The guy can score.
And the year before that, his best scoring year, he must have been playing with a ton of scoring threats on the 1-16 A-10 Dukes.

I'm going to stay out on my limb and say that the overall performance matters, not just the best ones that we like. The guy's by no means a sure-shot scorer for us. We'll see.

Positive scenario: Prior to being forced to take every shot for his team (last year) was a 37% 3 pt shooter. And once here he won't be the focal point (and he knows that) so his efficiency will return to form.

Negative scenario: He expects to be the focal point and will take a lot of shots and stay inefficient, and it will force JWill to the portal and be somewhat redundant with Ace and Dylan and make everyone worse.

Which is more likely?

Reactions: Scangg
And the year before that, his best scoring year, he must have been playing with a ton of scoring threats on the 1-16 A-10 Dukes.

I'm going to stay out on my limb and say that the overall performance matters, not just the best ones that we like. The guy's by no means a sure-shot scorer for us. We'll see.
I think 2022-2023 most closely resembles what he would be asked to do here. He was the third option behind Bates and Farrakhan. He’s not coming here to be a volume shooter like he was asked to be last year.

He’ll get way more open looks with Ace and Dylan.

He’s a 100% net plus and will more than compensate for the defection by Goggles. That kid is a 2+ year project to get to this guy’s level.

With this guy coming in, Jeremiah might be relegated to 6th man.. Unless Tyson can handle the point, we’ll see..

Maybe he'll be fine. I like that he's a fifth year player. But these are our needs:
- Starting Center (Cliff replacement)
- 3 point sniper (Spencer replacement)
- Wing that can shoot and defend (Mag replacement)

Acuff is a Griffiths replacement and likely an upgrade for '24-25. So we can agree that's good.

Still hoping we get a real big piece out of the portal that wants to get lots of attention from NBA scouts.

With him, JWill, Jmike, Dylan and Ace … you have 5 guys for 4 spots. That still means over 30 mins for each guy - I am not worried at all.

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT