ADVERTISEMENT

Tyson Acuff - incoming transfer

How do other teams somehow manage to have numerous scoring options and posters here are questioning us bringing in someone because it may disrupt Dylan or Ace? If it leads to JW entering the portal then so be it. Look at the final teams like UConn …is Hurley worrying about having too many scoring threats. We deserve to suck …thinking like this will only keep us as a 2nd tier program.

How do other teams somehow manage to have numerous scoring options and posters here are questioning us bringing in someone because it may disrupt Dylan or Ace? If it leads to JW entering the portal then so be it. Look at the final teams like UConn …is Hurley worrying about having too many scoring threats. We deserve to suck …thinking like this will only keep us as a 2nd tier program.
Pure speculation on my end but JWill doesn’t strike me as the type of guy who runs away from competition. He’s a dog.

He was the only option this last year. Had Noah Farrakhan the two years prior and had much better efficiency. I like this play as he wont be the 1A, 1B or even 2A option
Thank you for the intelligent response with context as opposed to other posters just looking at his 3 point percentage with no other knowledge about the teams he played on,

He averaged 22 ppg which is a lot but his 3 pt% was 29.2%. We have Ace and Dylan to fill the bucket. Did we need another high volume shooter? However, I like that his FT% is 81%.

Why are you so high on this?
Lou, he shot 34% last season and 39% the year before that from 3. He was asked to do a lot, ball heavy last year on a bad team. I’d expect a bump up with a smaller roll

8th leading scorer by average in the country, just ahead of Dalton Knecht, so that's pretty insane.

Now with that in mind, 3rd team All MAC, so how do you reconcile that in your mind? For comparison, the top 5 scorers in the Big Ten are 3 on the 1st team and 2 on the 2nd team all conference. This guy is the number 1 scorer in the MAC and 3rd team.

Positive scenario: Prior to being forced to take every shot for his team (last year) was a 37% 3 pt shooter. And once here he won't be the focal point (and he knows that) so his efficiency will return to form.

Negative scenario: He expects to be the focal point and will take a lot of shots and stay inefficient, and it will force JWill to the portal and be somewhat redundant with Ace and Dylan and make everyone worse.

Which is more likely?

It seems highly unlikely he would choose to join a team with 2 projected one and done lottery picks if he was looking to be the focal point of the offense. There are plenty of places he could have gone to continue along in that role. Seems to me you only make this move if your looking to be a part of something big knowing your usage will go down significantly.

Nice pick up...nothing to complain about! A Dylan JWill and Acuff backcourt is a tough night for any team! No way any squad in the b10 can stop all 3 ..one of those guys are gonna torch somebody every night…and I think Acuffs efficiency is gonna be pretty good with him not needing to be the 1A option and “bail out” end of shot clock guy every play guy on offense

It seems highly unlikely he would choose to join a team with 2 projected one and done lottery picks if he was looking to be the focal point of the offense. There are plenty of places he could have gone to continue along in that role. Seems to me you only make this move if you’re looking to be a part of something big knowing your usage will go down significantly.
Makes sense

This seems like a great addition for someone who’s in that 6th or 7th man role, getting 20 mins/game. I think we still need a sharp shooter like Alloco

Reactions: LeapinLou
Well, he committed to Temple, then Iowa State, then Illinois, then RU.... Seems like he's always running from something
Left temple…and his entire team did..battle (Arkansas) hicks (penn st) Dunn (Houston) Jourdain (Memphis) Reynolds (cincinatti) and Mckie resigned
forced to transfer from isu for gambling investigation (which turned out to be a bogus investigation and the state of Iowa is being sued by everyone involved now)
Left Illinois after the board wouldn’t approve his admission amid the investigation
I don’t think he ran from a starting role on 2 different sweet 16 teams 😂

Many of these posters are either scared rabbits, blame gamers, trolls or just plain silly. Nothing satisfies some and that's why they will never be happy and will always be blowing in the wind. If you don't trust our coaches go root for someone else because you'll eternally be unhappy and it won't matter who are our players, coaches or AD or how the snow was cleared.

It seems highly unlikely he would choose to join a team with 2 projected one and done lottery picks if he was looking to be the focal point of the offense. There are plenty of places he could have gone to continue along in that role. Seems to me you only make this move if your looking to be a part of something big knowing your usage will go down significantly.
I agree. Unless he didn't bother to do any research on Rutgers, then coming here expecting to be the focal point (adding JWill to that mix) wouldn't be logical.

Rutgers still needs to add front court height unless the two freshmen 3 star players are going to get playing time.Rebounding was a big problem last season .The talent level of the transfer center will tell the story as to the playing time for Somerville.These are exciting times with the anticipation of Bailey and Harper on the court next season.The rest of the roster must be productive putting points on the scoreboard.

As it stands right now the 5 would be
Dylan
Jwill
Acuff
Ace
Ogbole????
What transfer centers are they targeting? Or what if Cliff comes home

• Haha
Reactions: RUDivision
So you don't think it's fair to look at his overall percentage and how he performed each year. Instead, you think it's fair to highlight only his performance in only a couple of years, starting with his play for a 1-16 team in the Atlantic 10. OK.

No - specifically, I don’t think it’s fair to focus on the shooting percentage (or scoring output in general for that matter) for a kid who attempted that many shots mostly in games where his team was outmatched. He had to have been told to fire away - he went from 330 attempts to 506. That’s a huge jump. Nobody would be at their most efficient taking 506 shots. You have to be forcing. Only one player in the country averaged more attempts per game than Tyson. He took 3+ more attempts than all but 20 D1 players. That’s nuts. On the other hand - his scoring numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt too because a lot of the points would’ve come in garbage time being how bad his team was and he was the one taking all the shots.

And the year before that, his best scoring year, he must have been playing with a ton of scoring threats on the 1-16 A-10 Dukes.

I'm going to stay out on my limb and say that the overall performance matters, not just the best ones that we like. The guy's by no means a sure-shot scorer for us. We'll see.
It’s not that. He was only a sophomore coming off a frosh campaign as a utility player. He wasn’t going to be the go to player then so by default he wasn’t in a position to force.

Well, he committed to Temple, then Iowa State, then Illinois, then RU.... Seems like he's always running from something
Just think it’s going to be the new normal. I read that AJ Stoor (Wisconsin to Illinois I believe) will be entering his 7th different school in 7 seasons counting high school…$$$

• Wow
Reactions: Scangg
I don’t think it’s fair to look at it this way. I’ve never seen the kid play - full disclosure, but in this case the stats speak for themselves. Clearly - Eastern Michigan didn’t have anyone else so the kid was essentially asked to take almost any shot this past season. His usage this past season was beyond insane. He attempted 506 shots. For perspective - Derek and Hyatt only took 280ish. Cliff 250. His usage was nothing like that at Duquesne and even his first year at EM he only took 330 shots. Way less.
I wish Spencer took 450 shots last season which equates to around 15 per game. Rutgers would have won enough games for a NCAA bid.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
It’s possible but does it even matter? Suppose Ace plays 15 min at the 3 and 15 min at the 4. Suppose Dylan plays 30 at the 1-2. For positions 1-3, that leaves 40 + 10 + 25 = 75 minutes for guards / wings besides Dylan. If J Will and Tyson both are at 25 there there’s still another 25 to be split out - J Mike and another transfer regardless of who the starters are.

This has been pointed out elsewhere but he was forced to put up a very high volume and was the focal point of every opponent’s defense last year due to being the only real scoring threat on that EMU team. He attempted 506 shots, the next highest on the team was 251.

The year prior he played with some other scoring threats and didn’t have to put up as many bad shots. The guy can score.

I think 2022-2023 most closely resembles what he would be asked to do here. He was the third option behind Bates and Farrakhan. He’s not coming here to be a volume shooter like he was asked to be last year.
You get it

He's shot well from 3 before and shoots FTs very well. He's most likely a good 3 point shooter

We have every reason to believe his percentages will go up when he's taking wide open 3's after Dylan and Ace draw a double team vs chucking up bad forced 3's on a bad team where you are the defenses #1 focus

He will probably have his most efficient year on less volume. This is a very good pickup

Great addition as the 6-7th man. We still have holes to fill at the 2 and 5.

I see the following:
1. Dylan
2. Shooter (hopefully Alloco)
3. JWil
4. Ace
5. Sr center

First backup guard: Acuff
First backup wing/forward: martini
Backup centers: ogbole, Somerville

First off the bench guard and forward are getting 20 mins each

Reactions: LeapinLou
ADVERTISEMENT