ADVERTISEMENT

Tyson Walker matchup (All quick small PGs this season)

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
Ever since we lost Young, guarding quick small PGs has been a struggle for Rutgers bigger slower guards

This year we finallyyy have small quick guards in Simpson and Davis who are better suited to cover a player like Walker. Yes they have struggled with the size and strength of more powerful B1G guards like Thorton and Perkins. Williams was huge stepping up to fix that issue. Williams can stick with Hoggard.... But Simpson and Davis have a chance to really shine on Saturday where their defensive strengths can be most useful

I haven't seen anyone talking about this, but I think it's a huge plus for this matchup compared to previous rosters

I think both DS and JD can really be effective staying with Walker and at least slow him down which will make beating MSU possible (if we can finally have a decent shooting night)

Ever since we lost Young, guarding quick small PGs has been a struggle for Rutgers bigger slower guards

This year we finallyyy have small quick guards in Simpson and Davis who are better suited to cover a player like Walker. Yes they have struggled with the size and strength of more powerful B1G guards like Thorton and Perkins. Williams was huge stepping up to fix that issue. Williams can stick with Hoggard.... But Simpson and Davis have a chance to really shine on Saturday where their defensive strengths can be most useful

I haven't seen anyone talking about this, but I think it's a huge plus for this matchup compared to previous rosters

I think both DS and JD can really be effective staying with Walker and at least slow him down which will make beating MSU possible (if we can finally have a decent shooting night)
Not an assignment for Willam’s to check Walker at all Scragg?

I'm not completely against giving him a shot at it especially if Davis and Simpson struggle obviously, but he is better suited against stronger guards than quicker guards IMO

Williams has looked quicker recently as he had gotten more healthy and maybe his size would bother Walker butttt Walker is reallyyy quick

If Simpson and Davis struggle against size and strength, this is where their quickness needs to be an asset defensively

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few guys thrown at Walker — if he’s off there’s no one I’m particularly scared off

I'm not completely against giving him a shot at it especially if Davis and Simpson struggle obviously, but he is better suited against stronger guards than quicker guards IMO

Williams has looked quicker recently as he had gotten more healthy and maybe his size would bother Walker butttt Walker is reallyyy quick

If Simpson and Davis struggle against size and strength, this is where their quickness needs to be an asset defensively
Hopefully between those 3 we can make it difficult for him.
The man is going to shoot 20 plus times.

Reactions: Scangg

We need Austin on Hoggard who also has a tendency to play bully ball so I would not play him on Walker. Derek and JMike should be fast enough or even Noah but he is playing at a high level so we really need a great defensive effort from them and of course we need to offensively be aggressive so that Walker and Hoggard can get worn out because they play a ton of minutes like 35 a game.

Walker had 12 pts both times we squared off last season, so it's not like he lit us up last year. I'm more concerned about our offense than our defense. But it will be interesting to see what the game plan is on D.

Remember, MSU starts three guards - Walker, Hoggard, and Akins, so Mag is going to play one of them. My money is on Mag playing Hoggard, Austin playing Akins, and DS/JD playing Walker, but I suspect Pike will be okay with switches in PnR.

In this scenario, Hyatt is on Hall, and Cliff is on Sissoko.

Not an assignment for Willam’s to check Walker at all Scragg?
A Williams is best suited for Hoggard. JMike and Simpson best with Walker, not saying they’ll shut him down just that their speed, size and skills are best to match up with Walker. A Williams should do a good job of preventing Hoggard to work his way into the paint, like he did when Pike (move made too late by the way) put him on Thornton 2nd half and slowed him down.

Our most difficult match up is Pike/Izzo.
The coaching matchup doesn't concern me. Pike has won three out of his last four battles vs. Izzo.

RU simply needs to find a way to finally win a game in Breslin Center. The closest we've come was when Corey Sanders missed a jumper at the buzzer at the end of regulation. We lost in OT.

Last edited:
Looking ahead to Purdue on the 28 th …watched Zach Edey yesterday. Anyone thinking he’s some 7’5” 285lb clod ? Wish we had that here and a couple of guards who could pass the ball inside.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT