ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn basketball’s playbook leaked. Does anyone have Pike’s email?

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

Hopefully this can be shared with pike and he can learn some of it

Another dumb thread.....you have NBA talent, you have more options to run different sets.

Shouldn't we send the Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley offensive playbook or game tape to Greg Schiano and tell him to run the same plays.....certain plays work significantly better with WRs who are 4.4 in the 40, vs 4.75 to 4.8.....certain plays look and run better when Caleb Williams or CJ Stroud are your QBs throwing to Jordan Addison or Marvin Harrison Jr.

You do realize that in 2022-23, there's 1 player who would see minutes on UConns roster or rotation (Cliff)......UConns defensive first stopper Andre Jackson is Caleb McConnell without back injuries and 25 lbs stronger who jumps out of the gym.

Mulcahy, Spencer, Hyatt don't make UConns rotation....Caleb probably is a 8th or 9th player there. Cliff could play on most any rosters, simply based on athletic abilities, but no one is going to argue that Cliff is clearly better offensively than Sanogo (I like Cliff better on defense and abilities to switch on defense than Sanogo or Clingan, but that's not realistic as a primary reason to say a player is better).

The Pike haters are in full force, UConn has Top 10 recruiting classes most years. I don't think anyone on their Top 10 players is outside the Top 100 out of HS or via the transfer portal ratings when those players landed at UConn.

I will say it again, the OP is not going to win any accuracy awards and spring practices for football are underway for his guy Schiano, who escapes these weekly critiques. We are battling for quality D2 WR transfers and somehow Pike needs to take someone's plays??

Can we focus on 2 things at the same time (football, where it is life or death to potentially beat Northwestern and VTech in a couple of months) instead of taking shots at Pike??

I'll say it again, football and hoops command 90% of the sports attention in the college media....if Pike didn't revive things here, RU sports would be the laughing stock of all Power 5 programs. Doesn't mean Pike is perfect, but keep that same energy for Schiano, my friend. It's Year 4 and I'm waiting for the 1.3M dollar OC and tons of money spent there, to show "something called improvement"....can I get something over there.....???

Another dumb thread.....you have NBA talent, you have more options to run different sets.

Shouldn't we send the Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley offensive playbook or game tape to Greg Schiano and tell him to run the same plays.....certain plays work significantly better with WRs who are 4.4 in the 40, vs 4.75 to 4.8.....certain plays look and run better when Caleb Williams or CJ Stroud are your QBs throwing to Jordan Addison or Marvin Harrison Jr.

You do realize that in 2022-23, there's 1 player who would see minutes on UConns roster or rotation (Cliff)......UConns defensive first stopper Andre Jackson is Caleb McConnell without back injuries and 25 lbs stronger who jumps out of the gym.

Mulcahy, Spencer, Hyatt don't make UConns rotation....Caleb probably is a 8th or 9th player there. Cliff could play on most any rosters, simply based on athletic abilities, but no one is going to argue that Cliff is clearly better offensively than Sanogo (I like Cliff better on defense and abilities to switch on defense than Sanogo or Clingan, but that's not realistic as a primary reason to say a player is better).

The Pike haters are in full force, UConn has Top 10 recruiting classes most years. I don't think anyone on their Top 10 players is outside the Top 100 out of HS or via the transfer portal ratings when those players landed at UConn.

I will say it again, the OP is not going to win any accuracy awards and spring practices for football are underway for his guy Schiano, who escapes these weekly critiques. We are battling for quality D2 WR transfers and somehow Pike needs to take someone's plays??

Can we focus on 2 things at the same time (football, where it is life or death to potentially beat Northwestern and VTech in a couple of months) instead of taking shots at Pike??

I'll say it again, football and hoops command 90% of the sports attention in the college media....if Pike didn't revive things here, RU sports would be the laughing stock of all Power 5 programs. Doesn't mean Pike is perfect, but keep that same energy for Schiano, my friend. It's Year 4 and I'm waiting for the 1.3M dollar OC and tons of money spent there, to show "something called improvement"....can I get something over there.....???
This is a very dumb post. Dumber than your norm too. If you have nba talent you dont need to run as much of an offense haha. If you have below average talent you need to get more creative. Dumb dumb post

That twitter account is AMAZING.
Lots of Uconn - their length, Sanogo/Clingan's strength and finishing combined with IQ of Karaban, Ajax, Newton and shotmaking of Hawkins, Joey C - those clips are fun to watch

They run zoom action similar to what we ran at times this season, but they have a bunch of shot makers.

Cliff wouldn't play at Uconn.
Ajax is much better offensively than Caleb, neither can shoot but Jackson is much better with the ball and decision-making.

You can lead a horse to water…..

Send HC Schiano any playbook you want - he’s not running it unless the first 19 plays are runs.

Still holding out hope HC Pike changes his spots considering the incoming recruits.
It doesn’t take NBA one and done talent to run a double off ball screen for a 3pt shot.

That twitter account is AMAZING.
Lots of Uconn - their length, Sanogo/Clingan's strength and finishing combined with IQ of Karaban, Ajax, Newton and shotmaking of Hawkins, Joey C - those clips are fun to watch

They run zoom action similar to what we ran at times this season, but they have a bunch of shot makers.

Great account I agree, one of my favorite follows…UConn’s talent level offensively is considerably higher than RU’s was this season, but I’d be lying if I said I’m not concerned about the offensive execution and efficiency improving even as Rutgers adds some better talent in coming years…There’s been relatively little schematic offensive creativity under Pike, even when there was some better talent on the floor (Geo, JY, RHJ)…RU has usually been pretty good out of timeouts offensively since Pike took over but the basic halfcourt offense is rudimentary and little has been done to change that, including changing some of the responsibilities of the assistant coaches.

This is a very dumb post. Dumber than your norm too. If you have nba talent you dont need to run as much of an offense haha. If you have below average talent you need to get more creative. Dumb dumb post

I'll say it again, I'm waiting for your offensive playbook review that should be sent to Schiano.....you proclaim to watch tape and know everything.....nothing in my post is incorrect, you just got smoked.

Pike has plenty to improve upon, but the anxiety and rhetoric is totally misguided. I have some level of confidence that Pike and his staff have an idea in what needs to be implemented or improved upon.

On the other hand, a D2 WR, who could be all B1G for all I know, is the most relevant recruiting information on the football side in a month....we had four or five massive recruiting events with tons of coaches taking up half a section behind the basket.

Where are the actual results or signs of life going to show up....?? I'm waiting for the weekly review of how RU is going to go from 126th out of 130 in total offense or yards per play to, what exactly??

Ignoring something like that, is just a terrible look....if you were at least close to consistent, then the post could actually be worth talking about. But maybe I'm the only one who sees the BS and responds here.....

I'll wait for your weekly Schiano/Ciarocca posts between now and Labor Day weekend. Fingers crossed we actually do improve.....!!! We would have played 8 to 9 football games before RU hoops hits the RAC in early November.....

Great account I agree, one of my favorite follows…UConn’s talent level offensively is considerably higher than RU’s was this season, but I’d be lying if I said I’m not concerned about the offensive execution and efficiency improving even as Rutgers adds some better talent in coming years…There’s been relatively little schematic offensive creativity under Pike, even when there was some better talent on the floor (Geo, JY, RHJ)…RU has usually been pretty good out of timeouts offensively since Pike took over but the basic halfcourt offense is rudimentary and little has been done to change that, including changing some of the responsibilities of the assistant coaches.
I agree, you gotta have guys who can do those things to run that stuff.
Throw Caleb, Hyatt, Mag in that offense and it stops.

BUT, as you said, it often seems like we have one play and Cliff is the only one capable of setting ball screens and only in the middle of the floor.

Reactions: MHladik919
I'll say it again, I'm waiting for your offensive playbook review that should be sent to Schiano.....you proclaim to watch tape and know everything.....nothing in my post is incorrect, you just got smoked.

Pike has plenty to improve upon, but the anxiety and rhetoric is totally misguided. I have some level of confidence that Pike and his staff have an idea in what needs to be implemented or improved upon.

On the other hand, a D2 WR, who could be all B1G for all I know, is the most relevant recruiting information on the football side in a month....we had four or five massive recruiting events with tons of coaches taking up half a section behind the basket.

Where are the actual results or signs of life going to show up....?? I'm waiting for the weekly review of how RU is going to go from 126th out of 130 in total offense or yards per play to, what exactly??

Ignoring something like that, is just a terrible look....if you were at least close to consistent, then the post could actually be worth talking about. But maybe I'm the only one who sees the BS and responds here.....

I'll wait for your weekly Schiano/Ciarocca posts between now and Labor Day weekend. Fingers crossed we actually do improve.....!!! We would have played 8 to 9 football games before RU hoops hits the RAC in early November.....
Your posts are too long, I dont read them. Gleeson’s offense was abysmal, gs made a change, has pike? Kirk is better. No one is better than lincoln riley and his tree though.

But again, youre going full dummy mode as you often do. It’s not controversial to say pike isnt a great offensive coach and he needs to actually put some effort into coaching offense.

And lastly, I will never take anything you say seriously as you came here and flat out lied what what barchi said to me in the presidents building in november 2019. It was very odd. Extremely strange. One of the weirder things ive ever experienced in my life. Youre a weird dude who likes to argue to argue.

Caleb 100% would’ve played a lot at UConn and just about every school that gives even the slightly nod to defense. He is an elite defender. Not good — great. Coaches love those guys. It’s why every B1G coach went out of their way at to say they loved him. They help you win (a lot). And you don’t need every guy to give you offense. In fact, Jackson only averaged 6/6/4 playing 29+ minutes a game.

Caleb 100% would’ve played a lot at UConn and just about every school that gives even the slightly nod to defense. He is an elite defender. Not good — great. Coaches love those guys. It’s why every B1G coach went out of their way at to say they loved him. They help you win (a lot). And you don’t need every guy to give you offense. In fact, Jackson only averaged 6/6/4 playing 29+ minutes a game.
Watch some of the clips on that tweet from OP.
Caleb can't make those plays. Ajax is nearly as good defensively, much more athletic and while neither can shoot, Ajax does a lot of other things offensively that Caleb does not.

Watch some of the clips on that tweet from OP.
Caleb can't make those plays. Ajax is nearly as good defensively, much more athletic and while neither can shoot, Ajax does a lot of other things offensively that Caleb does not.

I saw UConn play multiple games this year. Jackson is a great athlete but I stand by what I said. I think some RU fans undervalue just how elite Caleb’s defense was. They also confuse the fact he was asked to score on our team as an indictment of his defense.

I saw UConn play multiple games this year. Jackson is a great athlete but I stand by what I said. I think some RU fans undervalue just how elite Caleb’s defense was. They also confuse the fact he was asked to score on our team as an indictment of his defense.
I don't undervalue Caleb's defense and his offensive rebounding was important as well.
AJax is better than Caleb in every offensive stat even offensive rebounding

It's a credit to Caleb that he made himself into such a valuable player and to Pike for using him so effectively. Uconn just has better players.

I don't undervalue Caleb's defense and his offensive rebounding was important as well.
AJax is better than Caleb in every offensive stat even offensive rebounding

It's a credit to Caleb that he made himself into such a valuable player and to Pike for using him so effectively. Uconn just has better players.

There’s no doubt UConn has better players. My point is that Caleb (putting aside what he was actually asked to do here), he was probably the best player in the country at the exact role that Jackson played. Tough physical defense first player asked to contribute on the boards. All good though — difference of opinion.

There’s no doubt UConn has better players. My point is that Caleb (putting aside what he was actually asked to do here), he was probably the best player in the country at the exact role that Jackson played. Tough physical defense first player asked to contribute on the boards. All good though — difference of opinion.
You're missing how important Jackson was to Uconn's offense - they might play the samer role defensively but they are massively different offensively
ORtg is a measure of point produced per 100 possessions
Jackson = 112.8
Caleb = 95.4

Reactions: bitnez
You can lead a horse to water…..

Send HC Schiano any playbook you want - he’s not running it unless the first 19 plays are runs.

Still holding out hope HC Pike changes his spots considering the incoming recruits.
It doesn’t take NBA one and done talent to run a double off ball screen for a 3pt shot.

We missed plenty of open 3 point shots off of high screens as well as rotations. The point people are missing is how much energy Pike's teams need to expend on defense which impacts shot accuracy due to leg fatigue. Are you suggesting that Pike has the team not focus as much on D? I'm just not buying into the narrative that we don't have enough offensive schemes. What we did not have last season was enough shot makers especially coming off the bench to account for needed substitutions to account for needed defensive energy. Its amazing what higher ranked, skilled and/or experienced players will do to make a coach look good.

Schiano would throw the Riley and Day playbooks in the trash because they don't include plays where the TE runs up the middle after a direct snap. UConn's playbook is deep, clever, and effective because they have skilled, talented players.

Last edited:

Just like a chef is limited by his/her ingredients, coaches are limited by their players. You can't expect a McDonalds to be able to produce the quality of dishes that Peter Lugers does if he doesn't have the same ingredients ... even if he has the Lugers recipes.

We missed plenty of open 3 point shots off of high screens as well as rotations. The point people are missing is how much energy Pike's teams need to expend on defense which impacts shot accuracy due to leg fatigue. Are you suggesting that Pike has the team not focus as much on D? I'm just not buying into the narrative that we don't have enough offensive schemes. What we did not have last season was enough shot makers especially coming off the bench to account for needed substitutions to account for needed defensive energy. Its amazing what higher ranked, skilled and/or experienced players will do to make a coach look good.
I always laugh when someone says they are tired from playing defense so hard. Do Run and gun teams like Baylor and Gonzaga not get tired when they run other teams off the court?

Just like a chef is limited by his/her ingredients, coaches are limited by their players. You can't expect a McDonalds to be able to produce the quality of dishes that Peter Lugers does if he doesn't have the same ingredients ... even if he has the Lugers recipes.
This is true although college basketball coaches have an outsized influence on the players they can get.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
UConn has elite talent and coaching.Rutgers has high level defense, mediocre offense and a coaching staff working on recruiting higher level talent.It will take at least 3 years to determine the rate of improvement.

This is true although college basketball coaches have an outsized influence on the players they can get.
True but UConn gets much better talent. How many future NBA players are on their roster? Even an off the bench player like Calcaterra is better than Cam. A superior and deeper roster = more options.

Too much blame going to coaching when a large part of offensive issues are on player execution
Coaching has to take some of it. Agreed we have some bad offensive players but we ran some stuff vs Purdue then it disappeared.

True but UConn gets much better talent. How many future NBA players are on their roster? Even an off the bench player like Calcaterra is better than Cam. A superior and deeper roster = more options.
More than being NBA talent, it's more well rounded talent, Sanogo can take 2-3 dribbles 25 feet fom the hoop and set up a dribble handoff then turn around into a ball screen. Donovan can hit cutters for backdoors etc. They have everyone setting screens, more guys doing dribble handoffs or rub screens and making good reads/decisions and of course, a lot more shooting.

Reactions: RUJMM78 and RU84
I always laugh when someone says they are tired from playing defense so hard. Do Run and gun teams like Baylor and Gonzaga not get tired when they run other teams off the court?
Please read again - my comments are about leg fatigue effecting shooting accuracy - not about complaining about being tired.

Please read again - my comments are about leg fatigue effecting shooting accuracy - not about complaining about being tired.
Why should a team have more leg fatigue from defense vs running hard all game. To be truthful, teams that run all the time are usually much better conditioned, but I doubt that is the argument you are making.

Why should a team have more leg fatigue from defense vs running hard all game.
We miss shots because we play so hard on D is an absurd argument.
Why waste your time arguing against it?
Can we get an eyeroll emoji along with the like/love/wow etc?

Lmao Calcaterra isn’t better than Cam
Ok, maybe he's not better but it's probably closer to being a push. You get my point. Cam was tied for our leading scorer and Calcaterra comes off the bench playing less than half his minutes.

I like how in one thread we are a Top 3 team in the Big Ten.
Then here it's a wonder the players even know how to tie their shoes and walk down the court.

Pike is going to utilise the tools available and shape his game plan accordingly. Right now we're built rugged like NASCAR, bumping and rubbing fenders.

When he has the pieces to put together a Formula One type team (think Elite 8 level) you'll see the change in style folks are looking for.

A flashy game plan only works if you have the guys to run it. This is not a knock on the current roster. I love the heart and passion. But I would bet they'd be the first to say we'd get our ass kicked in a run and gun game. It's just not who we are at this point.

Reactions: Scarlet83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT