ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn basketball’s playbook leaked. Does anyone have Pike’s email?

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
Another dumb thread.....you have NBA talent, you have more options to run different sets.

Shouldn't we send the Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley offensive playbook or game tape to Greg Schiano and tell him to run the same plays.....certain plays work significantly better with WRs who are 4.4 in the 40, vs 4.75 to 4.8.....certain plays look and run better when Caleb Williams or CJ Stroud are your QBs throwing to Jordan Addison or Marvin Harrison Jr.

You do realize that in 2022-23, there's 1 player who would see minutes on UConns roster or rotation (Cliff)......UConns defensive first stopper Andre Jackson is Caleb McConnell without back injuries and 25 lbs stronger who jumps out of the gym.

Mulcahy, Spencer, Hyatt don't make UConns rotation....Caleb probably is a 8th or 9th player there. Cliff could play on most any rosters, simply based on athletic abilities, but no one is going to argue that Cliff is clearly better offensively than Sanogo (I like Cliff better on defense and abilities to switch on defense than Sanogo or Clingan, but that's not realistic as a primary reason to say a player is better).

The Pike haters are in full force, UConn has Top 10 recruiting classes most years. I don't think anyone on their Top 10 players is outside the Top 100 out of HS or via the transfer portal ratings when those players landed at UConn.

I will say it again, the OP is not going to win any accuracy awards and spring practices for football are underway for his guy Schiano, who escapes these weekly critiques. We are battling for quality D2 WR transfers and somehow Pike needs to take someone's plays??

Can we focus on 2 things at the same time (football, where it is life or death to potentially beat Northwestern and VTech in a couple of months) instead of taking shots at Pike??

I'll say it again, football and hoops command 90% of the sports attention in the college media....if Pike didn't revive things here, RU sports would be the laughing stock of all Power 5 programs. Doesn't mean Pike is perfect, but keep that same energy for Schiano, my friend. It's Year 4 and I'm waiting for the 1.3M dollar OC and tons of money spent there, to show "something called improvement"....can I get something over there.....???
I get your point but you can’t compare player to player the way your going about it. Caleb’s offense, though it would still be limited, would look materially different if he was surrounded by different types of players. His limitations stood out because he was asked to do things he’s not good at because sadly he was still amongst the better iso creators on the roster (which doesn’t say a whole lot since we had none except Simpson at the end of the season). He looked worst trying to play that role.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I get your point but you can’t compare player to player the way your going about it. Caleb’s offense, though it would still be limited, would look materially different if he was surrounded by different types of players. His limitations stood out because he was asked to do things he’s not good at because sadly he was still amongst the better iso creators on the roster (which doesn’t say a whole lot since we had none except Simpson at the end of the season). He looked worst trying to play that role.
Caleb would look worse if he were asked to make all the reads and decisions and passes that Newton and Karaban are making in those sets

Stating, not arguing.

We run less sets than 95%+ of college teams. It’s not really an argument, just more of stating the obvious.
Lol you realize they run offensive sets...right? Or do I need to bring you with me to a practice next time they're wining and dining me for you to see that. It doesn't look like it in a game but you see how many picks and cuts they do in one set and you realize they actually do.

Lol you realize they run offensive sets...right? Or do I need to bring you with me to a practice next time they're wining and dining me for you to see that. It doesn't look like it in a game but you see how many picks and cuts they do in one set and you realize they actually do.
What they practice and what they do in games doesnt have to be identical.

Again, im not stating anything crazy, its just a fact. And i dont pretend to be a basketball expert but guys who are very smart with basketball and have coached more 5*’s in the past decade than rutgers has had in program history have told me such which kinda confirms what my eyes see.

If youre trying to make the case we run a cohesive perpetual offense than idk what to tell you

Uconn had 3-4 nba guys on their roster with one coming off the bench 🤣 i mean what are we really talking about here… all of their amazing sets ended up getting it in their best players hands so they could make a play for themselves or others.

Purdue is a perfect example of painter always having an amazing offense but the only time they made a deep run was when careen Edwards and cline went absolutely bananas in March.

I think the best thing about UConn this year was how Hurley got every guy to buy into their role. Really hard to do when you have as much talent as he did

Again, im not stating anything crazy, its just a fact. And i dont pretend to be a basketball expert but guys who are very smart with basketball and have coached more 5*’s in the past decade than rutgers has had in program history have told me such which kinda confirms what my eyes see.

If youre trying to make the case we run a cohesive perpetual offense than idk what to tell you
Ok, I'm not sure if you're just trolling or if you truly don't understand. Of any player on our roster, who would you run an offensive set for other than cam Spencer? Who would you count on to make an open jumper? Did you watch in the beginning of the season when teams didn't know that cam Spencer was the only one not afraid to shoot? Team ran plenty of action to get him open. But opponents figured out he was the only offensive threat and keyed in. Id really like to hear who you'd want the team to run offense for besides Spencer?

This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone, but Pike was limited in what he was able to do by the players that he had. They played very hard defensively, but just were not very good offensively. Opposing teams basically planned to go two things to us every game. Have someone shadow Spencer and try to deny him the ball and any open shots, because he is the only guy on the team who shoots well. The second was to keep Mulcahy out of the paint where he is dangerous as both a scorer and passer. Unfortunately he is slow and not a good ball handler, so that was also not that hard to do for most teams. Taking away those two things really cripples our offense. The only guys on the team who have any ability to pass and create for their teammates are Paul and Cam. Mag and Hyatt are unable to handle the ball on the offensive end because they have no body control and eventually run people over. Cliff continually lets himself get pushed out of position and isn’t effective more than a couple feet from the basket. And with the trouble we had just getting the ball up the court, we usually had less than 10 seconds to run a play, which inevitably leads to lots of bad shots as time runs out.

The guy's an idiot I don't know why you keep trying to explain the basics to him.

I've been to numerous practices and the amount of time they spend on offense and running plays is quite a bit.

He goes away when the team is playing well and when they're not he comes back and makes the same tired argument.

People say he's a great fan but he's more concerned with trying to look right and being some macho man then actually being a true fan.

Uconn had 3-4 nba guys on their roster with one coming off the bench 🤣 i mean what are we really talking about here… all of their amazing sets ended up getting it in their best players hands so they could make a play for themselves or others.

Purdue is a perfect example of painter always having an amazing offense but the only time they made a deep run was when careen Edwards and cline went absolutely bananas in March.

I think the best thing about UConn this year was how Hurley got every guy to buy into their role. Really hard to do when you have as much talent as he did
And this was the first year Ucoon looked like that last year RJ Cole dribbled the ball to death
They ran some nice sets to get Sanogo the ball inside but nothing else like what you saw this year
Getting all those transfers and others to accept their roles so well was beautiful

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDiddy777
Another dumb thread.....you have NBA talent, you have more options to run different sets.

Shouldn't we send the Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley offensive playbook or game tape to Greg Schiano and tell him to run the same plays.....certain plays work significantly better with WRs who are 4.4 in the 40, vs 4.75 to 4.8.....certain plays look and run better when Caleb Williams or CJ Stroud are your QBs throwing to Jordan Addison or Marvin Harrison Jr.

You do realize that in 2022-23, there's 1 player who would see minutes on UConns roster or rotation (Cliff)......UConns defensive first stopper Andre Jackson is Caleb McConnell without back injuries and 25 lbs stronger who jumps out of the gym.

Mulcahy, Spencer, Hyatt don't make UConns rotation....Caleb probably is a 8th or 9th player there. Cliff could play on most any rosters, simply based on athletic abilities, but no one is going to argue that Cliff is clearly better offensively than Sanogo (I like Cliff better on defense and abilities to switch on defense than Sanogo or Clingan, but that's not realistic as a primary reason to say a player is better).

The Pike haters are in full force, UConn has Top 10 recruiting classes most years. I don't think anyone on their Top 10 players is outside the Top 100 out of HS or via the transfer portal ratings when those players landed at UConn.

I will say it again, the OP is not going to win any accuracy awards and spring practices for football are underway for his guy Schiano, who escapes these weekly critiques. We are battling for quality D2 WR transfers and somehow Pike needs to take someone's plays??

Can we focus on 2 things at the same time (football, where it is life or death to potentially beat Northwestern and VTech in a couple of months) instead of taking shots at Pike??

I'll say it again, football and hoops command 90% of the sports attention in the college media....if Pike didn't revive things here, RU sports would be the laughing stock of all Power 5 programs. Doesn't mean Pike is perfect, but keep that same energy for Schiano, my friend. It's Year 4 and I'm waiting for the 1.3M dollar OC and tons of money spent there, to show "something called improvement"....can I get something over there.....???
OP is a known idiot, but no reason to bring Schiano into this.

I always laugh when someone says they are tired from playing defense so hard. Do Run and gun teams like Baylor and Gonzaga not get tired when they run other teams off the court?

Think most players would say playing defense is much harder and more exhausting. My favorite is KG telling the story about talking trash to Jordan while Rider was guarding him.

Further evidence that it's 2023...OP is accusing Hawk of being dishonest...meanwhile he makes a public bet vs @Caliknight ... is embarrassed and loses the bet...and proceeds to welch on the $10k bet.

But he is accusing someone else of being dishonest

Unreal

Remember, Kyk owns 12 apartment buildings in Texas. It’s just a liquidity problem.

The guy's an idiot I don't know why you keep trying to explain the basics to him.

I've been to numerous practices and the amount of time they spend on offense and running plays is quite a bit.

He goes away when the team is playing well and when they're not he comes back and makes the same tired argument.

People say he's a great fan but he's more concerned with trying to look right and being some macho man then actually being a true fan.
That's why I offered him an invitation. I went to a practice earlier this year and was just shaking my head at these stupid threads on this board as I watched each player on air, run, pick and pop like 5 times on one play they were practicing. Cliff alone moves like 5 different places before someone even shoots the ball. They all do.

That's why I offered him an invitation. I went to a practice earlier this year and was just shaking my head at these stupid threads on this board as I watched each player on air, run, pick and pop like 5 times on one play they were practicing. Cliff alone moves like 5 different places before someone even shoots the ball. They all do.
I can't wait until we get past the sweet 16...his argument will be that any rational person would NEVER see rutgers doing that with pikiell...so he was never actually wrong!!

The guy gives whiplash with his moving goal posts

I can't wait until we get past the sweet 16...his argument will be that any rational person would NEVER see rutgers doing that with pikiell...so he was never actually wrong!!

The guy gives whiplash with his moving goal posts

Believe the Indianapolis colts conferred with kyk prior to drafting Jonathan Taylor.

• Haha

More SHU Smurf bullish!t from you. EVERYONE, don’t feed the look at me SHU troll!

Truth.

Kyk is never here when we win and are playing well. He is a SHU fan and throws shade EVERY CHANCE HE GETS on R Hoops and Pike.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT