ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn recruiting

knightinaz

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2012
I heard from a few people I know involved with 2 different AAU programs that Tom Moore has re-engaged the Calhoun recruiting method$.

Seems to be working with the additions of Sanogo, Diggins & now Hawkins.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I'm not recruiting insider, but from the outside, the Sanogo commit was very strange. Thought there was no way he was going anywhere but SHU.

Seton Hall made a huge mistake wanting U Conn back in the Big East. I have said this several times. U Conn was going no where and the Big East threw them a life raft. SHU, They certainly will resent this decision.

Last edited:
Seton Hall made a huge mistake wanting U Conn back in the Big East. I have said this several times. U Conn was going no where and the Big East threw them a life raft. SHU They certainly will resent this decision.
Hi. Hope all is well...:)

None of the BE Coaches wanted UConn back for obvious reasons.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
The Big East is an okay conference. There's competition most nights, but it's just a tad below. Villanova championships gave them some cred, though that was built on real big east premises brought to a false big east and relaxed into an ncaa tourney where hey they caught a run like any winner does. Creighton isn't good, but hey let's make them top 10. It's all lingering. Uconn brings them up a step. I hate that, i was hoping people would realize this tad below standard sooner, but so be it. Rutgers meanwhile is in the Big Ten. We recruit Big men, centers and power forward... its like an after thought for Seton Hall, because who needs a center in that conference, and that is why Rutger is legit and Seton Hall is living in a world of guards.

Seton Hall made a huge mistake wanting U Conn back in the Big East. I have said this several times. U Conn was going no where and the Big East threw them a life raft. SHU They certainly will resent this decision.

The Conference wanted them back------SHU doesn't run the conference.

They belong in the BE and have all the necessary things in place to win quickly.

They bring a lot to the BE table.

I never said SHU ran the Big East. I know the conference voted them in but SHU didn't vote against it. Many of their fans welcomed U Conn back. They are already losing good recruits to the Huskies.U Conn was pretty bad for several years and the conference saved them big time.

Big East Phil, I feel alright but still up and downs with my lymphoma. It is always here, it never goes away.

UConn gave us a battle for Montez which we eventually won. The UConn fans did not understand how or why, but the difference between the Big 10 and the AAC helped carry the day.

From here forward the advantage is much smaller and we will see UConn take a possibility here and there. We already have

They had to sacrifice the football program for all this

Yes sacrificing that 20 million dollar red ink stain on their Athletic Dept balance sheet was a real tragedy.

They'll take kids from both SHU and RU IMO and if it ends up we do play a traditional hoop season I'm not shocked at all if they're dancing in March.

Reactions: Russ Wood
The Big East is an okay conference. There's competition most nights, but it's just a tad below. Villanova championships gave them some cred, though that was built on real big east premises brought to a false big east and relaxed into an ncaa tourney where hey they caught a run like any winner does. Creighton isn't good, but hey let's make them top 10. It's all lingering. Uconn brings them up a step. I hate that, i was hoping people would realize this tad below standard sooner, but so be it. Rutgers meanwhile is in the Big Ten. We recruit Big men, centers and power forward... its like an after thought for Seton Hall, because who needs a center in that conference, and that is why Rutger is legit and Seton Hall is living in a world of guards.
Damn. I was with you until your "Creighton isn't good," hot take.

The Conference wanted them back------SHU doesn't run the conference.

They belong in the BE and have all the necessary things in place to win quickly.

They bring a lot to the BE table.

I can't agree with UConn "belongs in the BE." They are not an institutional fit at all. There's not one public university in the conference now, let alone a flagship state university.

It's purely a men's bball decision, an effort to recapture their past glory. But many of the rivalries that existed back then can't be replicated as those schools have left the conference. In the meantime they are sacrificing their football program, in which they had invested millions. Apparently, they've given up hope of being invited into the ACC or B12 whenever the next round of conference realignment takes place.

I can't agree with UConn "belongs in the BE." They are not an institutional fit at all. There's not one public university in the conference now, let alone a flagship state university.

It's purely a men's bball decision, an effort to recapture their past glory. But many of the rivalries that existed back then can't be replicated as those schools have left the conference. In the meantime they are sacrificing their football program, in which they had invested millions. Apparently, they've given up hope of being invited into the ACC or B12 whenever the next round of conference realignment takes place.

yes, but that past glory was pretty good back then, and tempting to try to get to again, via the big east

Institutional fit----like that matters.

Northwestern and Stanford don't belong in the Big Ten and Pac 12 by that logic.

The Big East is an okay conference. There's competition most nights, but it's just a tad below.

Yes, we hope to be competitive most nights in the Big East but there are terrific conferences out there. The Big East is really, really very lucky to have teams that have won four of the last nine NCAA basketball championships currently playing in The Big East Conference. It’s not like our conference hasn’t won anything since 2000 or anything.

Yes, we hope to be competitive most nights in the Big East but there are terrific conferences out there. The Big East is really, really very lucky to have teams that have won four of the last nine NCAA basketball championships currently playing in The Big East Conference. It’s not like our conference hasn’t won anything since 2000 or anything.

The conference can be measured in a bunch of ways, but national titles is likely 5th or 6th on the pecking order. If Gonzaga won back to back National Titles, I seriously doubt Dick Vitale or Jay Bilas running around referring to the WCC on the same level of other leagues....

The Big East was very quick to downplay how Rutgers and Maryland would do in a "midwestern" league, while the Big East was more centered in cities where basketball is king.....yet it was less than 2 years ago (I think) when champ Nova, was literally run out of the gym in Connecticut by Purdue...not Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana or Maryland, all who typically have consistently been NCAA participants....it was Purdue doing the honors.

I think recruiting of players, quality of coaches and staffs, head to head matchups each season and overall league strength of rankings by independent entities like KenPom etc, have more weight than who wins the National Title. There's so much more that goes into who wins a title, which is more random based on seeding, draw and opponents played to get to the title.

Ha yeah great get... couple ok non major offers, 6’5 of course.

ahh yes the old beer pong analogy, here we go, this is how i view the big east and Villanova championships.

take the best ten people you know at beer pong and put them in a group to play eachother. Then take yourself, and you’re okay, say you’d be 7th or 8th if you included yourself in that group and put yourself into a second group of ten and theres maybe a couple other okay players but a few bad ones for sure and you all play each other. You do okay, maybe miss a few, maybe have a good game, but it doesn't really matter because most of the time your opponent just isn't good. You win all your games and you only have a couple beers because so few of your cups were made. Meanwhile, the first good group is playing a bunch of overtime cup games, drinking a couple beers a game. They are really playing well, but from game 7 on it stops looking so pretty. Now take the top 16 players and rank them, you get #1 cause you’re 9-0, and you’re feeling good, that perfect little buzz. So you get to play #16 who is someone terrible, then 8 who lost enough to be super drunk... beat 4 and 2, maybe they are drunk or your 11 game win streak has you feeling confident and you’re playing over your head and bam you're national champion of beer pong.

Reactions: Igniteshield
The conference can be measured in a bunch of ways, but national titles is likely 5th or 6th on the pecking order. If Gonzaga won back to back National Titles, I seriously doubt Dick Vitale or Jay Bilas running around referring to the WCC on the same level of other leagues....

The Big East was very quick to downplay how Rutgers and Maryland would do in a "midwestern" league, while the Big East was more centered in cities where basketball is king.....yet it was less than 2 years ago (I think) when champ Nova, was literally run out of the gym in Connecticut by Purdue...not Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana or Maryland, all who typically have consistently been NCAA participants....it was Purdue doing the honors.

I think recruiting of players, quality of coaches and staffs, head to head matchups each season and overall league strength of rankings by independent entities like KenPom etc, have more weight than who wins the National Title. There's so much more that goes into who wins a title, which is more random based on seeding, draw and opponents played to get to the title.

And it was 3 years ago when Michigan got humiliated in the Final by Nova

Reactions: silkcitypirate

But Gonzaga has never won a National Title. Big East teams have won 4 of the last 9 National Titles.

Where’s the logic?

Big East won 2 of the last 9 titles. It's a good league dominated by Villanova. No doubt Hurley's group can recruit but we'll see if he can coach them up.

Big East won 2 of the last 9 titles. It's a good league dominated by Villanova. No doubt Hurley's group can recruit but we'll see if he can coach them up.

No, The Big East has won 3 out of the last 9 National Titles. Current Big East teams have won 4 out of the last 9 National Titles.

The point Is Great Conferences produce National Titles. That’s not to say if you have not won one in a while, you are not a great conference. The Big 10 is clearly a great conference.

And it was 3 years ago when Michigan got humiliated in the Final by Nova

You mean the fifth seed Wolverines that got hot at the right time and rode a wave? Not sure they should have even been there. But you are right you just have to beat that nights opponent.

Well the year before you had Big Ten Champion and 1 seed Michigan State get run out of the Arena in the 1st Round by Middle Tennessee State .

So there's that......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT