ADVERTISEMENT

UM at MSG crowd

A lot different.

In 2004 Rutgers hadn’t been to the tourney in 13 years so the NIT finals was huge. I’m sure most UM fans thought they were above the NIT and had no interest in going.

This is a home for UMich and Rutgers hasn’t really promoted this game other than to season ticket holders.

I think we’ll have more fans than them...but no way do we double them.

Depends on the next couple of games

If we are both nationally ranked, tickets could move in a hard late surge

Agree that we will need to maintain momentum throughout the rest of January but there will be more RU fans than Michigan. My colleague is not attending, he doesn't respect RU. He would go if it were Michigan Duke or UNC. Just wait until RU goes on a run and you'll understand what fan base showed up.
Your colleague, who very well may be a good guy, sounds just like the UoM fans I encountered in Ann Arbor a few years ago and the reason I’ll never go back to the place.

Duh. Anybody with a brain that understands English understands what I said, even if it wasn't perfect.
I think you're the Seton Hall fan who also claims to be an RU fan. For you I'll change what I said to:
No better place to see a Rutgers game than in the garden, not including running on the court at the RAC like I did the last 2 times we played and beat Seton Hall!
Better?

Duh. Anybody with a brain that understands English understands what I said, even if it wasn't perfect.
I think you're the Seton Hall fan who also claims to be an RU fan. For you I'll change what I said to:
No better place to see a Rutgers game than in the garden, not including running on the court at the RAC like I did the last 2 times we played and beat Seton Hall!
Better?

OK Fredo.

You just disagreed with him.

I'd agree with you, The RAC is the best place to see a Rutgers game.

Not the Knicks arena.

I'm sure the teeth guy can speak for himself.

A lot different.

In 2004 Rutgers hadn’t been to the tourney in 13 years so the NIT finals was huge. I’m sure most UM fans thought they were above the NIT and had no interest in going.

This is a home for UMich and Rutgers hasn’t really promoted this game other than to season ticket holders.

I think we’ll have more fans than them...but no way do we double them.

I have to agree with you here. UM at the NIT is not interesting to their fans so you can't compare using #s theory. If they don't get to the NCAA its depressing, to us making the NIT finals that year was great only because we never get to the NCAA UM has a large presence in NYC so its one of the few times they can see their school play without having to travel. I expect at best equal fans from both schools

I just got 3 in section 102 for $35 each. Came to about $47 after fees. (Damn ticketmaster!)
So with about an hour and a half to kill between the two events, will they let us out and allow re-entry? I'm pretty sure I know the answer is no, but I can hope. If not, what the hell are we supposed to do with that time? Buy $15 Miller Lites at the Garden? Ugh.

Reactions: Jm0513
No re-entry. Watch the crew change over the arena from wrestling to hoops. Down a few expensive beers. Watch all of the hoops warm ups. Bother Michigan fans near you. Watch RU win.

Reactions: ScarletDave
From what I’ve gathered there is a fairly decent LACK of interest in this by Michigan alumni...or at least from 2 buddies, HUGE hoops and football fans (go out for every football game and weekend hoops games here in town)...based on the following:

“Ok thanks for the heads up. I think I cant make it anyway. Would have been nice to see another beat down.”

..the other guy just laughed at that comment. They pretty much have felt, all along, that neither matchup would be worth their time or money (and they earn more than enough...).

I am going along with 6-7 others. None of us have RU basketball season tickets and about 2 of us regularly attend home games at the RAC. I think Rutgers fans will show up better than expected.

I am going along with 6-7 others. None of us have RU basketball season tickets and about 2 of us regularly attend home games at the RAC. I think Rutgers fans will show up better than expected.
Correct. Way too many people underestimating the RU turnout for this. I still think it'll be 2:1 RU, but absolutely more RU than UM.

Reactions: ruman
With all of the buzz I have a feeling with UM slowly sliding that this game will be 80% RU and will be electric.

Reactions: RU848789
Guesses at how many RU fans show for the UM game at MSG? Will RU outnumber UM?

I’m amazed that UM gave up their home game for this. I get the exposure and all, but the travel and proximity to RU has to be tough.
what time is the game btw?

I think 11000...2:1 Rutgers fans

Next year we MUST sell out Madison square garden for Michigan state

Ordered 2 for me and the wife, Section 118, then dinner with friends. Excited for RU hoops in the city!

Three of us in 118 as well. This sure beats going to see them play Fordham at the Garden a few years ago.

Reactions: B1GRU91
It's too bad that so many Rutgers fans won't show up because too many have an irrational fear of traveling into the city, even though a 12 year old could easily do it.

Just remember where you were when your team needed you. At home, sitting on your asses.

Last edited:
When PSU played in the Palestra recently was it their choice or part of a B10 agreement with neutral site games?

Disagree.

This is a chance to add another home game to the schedule by taking over MSG.

The Rutgers AD should be promoting the hell out of this game...and not just to season ticket holders.

How exactly is this game promoting itself?

We have a solid contingent of die hards who are in the know but we have thousands of casual fans that need to be tapped into and pushed for a game like this.

It's not a RU home event to actively promote....and the pricing on the seats have been absurd and are now being reduced. There will be plenty of RU fans in MSG, it doesn't require promotion, it is a Michigan event at MSG, parlayed with RU.

It's not a RU home event to actively promote....and the pricing on the seats have been absurd and are now being reduced. There will be plenty of RU fans in MSG, it doesn't require promotion, it is a Michigan event at MSG, parlayed with RU.

Just because it’s not a home RU game doesn’t mean the AD can’t find ways to actively promote it.

Think it is a smart move by the B10 to use a neutral site

They should require each team to give up 1 home game every other year for a neutral suite with Wrestling or just a hoops double header
- MSG
- Philly
- DC
- Chicago
- Indianapolis
- Cleveland
- Detroit
- Minneapolis
- etc...

Your colleague, who very well may be a good guy, sounds just like the UoM fans I encountered in Ann Arbor a few years ago and the reason I’ll never go back to the place.
The UM fans were treated us great when we were there a couple of years ago both the night before and game day. I think that we may have been I voted to every UM tailgate when we were walking to the RU party from the golf course.

We did here some comments about how there are usually fights all over when one team that wears red comes to town. They do not like Ohio State for some reason.

I wish there were either more or less time between the wrestling and basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT