ADVERTISEMENT

UNC, who we crushed last year, is 7-1 and beating Duke...

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
So, I guess QB makes a difference, as that's the biggest change since last year, relatively speaking. Nova played great, mostly, last year (and was awesome in the bowl game), and this year our QB play has been mostly bad, whereas Marquise Williams UNC's 5th year QB, has gotten even better this year. And UNC's defense has improved, while ours has not. Questions around QB are why I was thinking 4-5 wins this year and QB play is why we're likely only to get 4-5 wins this year. Frustrating to see.

How about adding to the new QB, three new OL, almost the whole DB thrown off team, best DL injured, best WR injured or out most games.

Reactions: Scarlet16E
UNC has had a really, really easy schedule so far though: South Carolina (LOSS), NC A&T, Illinois, Delaware, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Virginia, Pitt.

It's Gene Chizik. Look at the defensive numbers last year - 116th in scoring (39ppg) and 117th in yards (497.8ypg) - and look at them this year. He's worked a defensive miracle. But that's what he does.

Reactions: rutgers4life11
So, I guess QB makes a difference, as that's the biggest change since last year, relatively speaking. Nova played great, mostly, last year (and was awesome in the bowl game), and this year our QB play has been mostly bad, whereas Marquise Williams UNC's 5th year QB, has gotten even better this year. And UNC's defense has improved, while ours has not. Questions around QB are why I was thinking 4-5 wins this year and QB play is why we're likely only to get 4-5 wins this year. Frustrating to see.

Come on #s. At least look a bit inside UNC last year vs this year.

This UNC had have the 6th most returning starters of all P5 schools, including the most returning offensive starters (10) from an offense that was pretty good to begin with in '14. They returned their entire OL and a 5th year QB.

They also return 7 starters from the defense which was young last year and took their share of beatdowns.

Conversely Rutgers returned 5 offensive starters, 1 of whom has missed most of the year and had to replace a 4 year starter at QB. After the arrests, Rutgers had 3 returning starters on defense, playing 3 freshman on the backfield.

Even before the arrests RU was #13 or 14 in the B1G in returning starters. Yes, it sucks but the 2 situations are completely different.

Reactions: redking
Come on #s. At least look a bit inside UNC last year vs this year.

This UNC had have the 6th most returning starters of all P5 schools, including the most returning offensive starters (10) from an offense that was pretty good to begin with in '14. They returned their entire OL and a 5th year QB.

They also return 7 starters from the defense which was young last year and took their share of beatdowns.

Conversely Rutgers returned 5 offensive starters, 1 of whom has missed most of the year and had to replace a 4 year starter at QB. After the arrests, Rutgers had 3 returning starters on defense, playing 3 freshman on the backfield.

Even before the arrests RU was #13 or 14 in the B1G in returning starters. Yes, it sucks but the 2 situations are completely different.

To me, most of that is noise, since, by far, the most important position on the field is QB and the difference in QB play this year vs. last year for us is significant.

Rutgers would have maybe 3 or 4 wins with that schedule. Certainly not 7. GT would thrash us, Pitt really tough this year, and UVA and Wake toss ups.

Always excuses at rutgers..what was the excuse in 2013 when youth is the excuse in2015

It's not an excuse. It's the reality of the 2 situations which is what we're discussing right now.

BTW, '13 was after RU lost Ryan (early), Harmon, Jones, Cooper, Steve B, and Greene just from the previous year's defense. Your point?

Reactions: PaKnight
How about adding to the new QB, three new OL, almost the whole DB thrown off team, best DL injured, best WR injured or out most games.
Don't you dare try to argue facts around here, Pilgrim!

To me, most of that is noise, since, by far, the most important position on the field is QB and the difference in QB play this year vs. last year for us is significant.

It's noise? Ok. In other words you didn't know that about UNC. Well many did and a reason why UNC was in most publications and prognosticators Top 25 coming into this year.

Reactions: Local Shill
It's noise? Ok. In other words you didn't know that about UNC. Well many did and a reason why UNC was in most publications and prognosticators Top 25 coming into this year.
Really? They're not even in the top 25 up to this week after being 7-1 and 4-0 in the ACC. I expect a win to day will put them in the top 25.

Their biggest improvement is the defense, even if the competition hasn't been the strongest. There's still been improvement there regardless. Maybe not as much as it may seem but still improvement. They were ranked above the 100s and now they're in the teens in both total/scoring defense. The actual improvement may not be that stark and be exaggerated a bit by the inferior competition but still I'm sure they've improved a bit.

It's like I've said give me that top offense (15 or so) offense with a mediocre defense (top 50-65) and I think you'll generally like where you end up. Can't be just all offense without a defense or it catches up to you or you end up like Indiana.

Last edited:
UNC did a flea flicker on the opening play of the game. I hope RU tries something like this during the game today.

Really? They're not even in the top 25 up to this week after being 7-1 and 4-0 in the ACC. I expect a win to day will put them in the top 25.

Their biggest improvement is the defense, even if the competition hasn't been the strongest. There's still been improvement there regardless. Maybe not as much as it may seem but still improvement. They were ranked above the 100s and now they're in the teens in both total/scoring defense. The actual improvement may not be that stark and be exaggerated a bit by the inferior competition but still I'm sure they've improved a bit.

It's like I've said give me that top offense (15 or so) offense with a mediocre defense (top 50-65) and I think you'll generally like where you end up. Can't be just all offense without a defense or it catches up to you or you end up like Indiana.

You're missing the point. #s said returning starters is just "noise". I pointed out many in the CFB world disagree with that.

You're missing the point. #s said returning starters is just "noise". I pointed out many in the CFB world disagree with that.
I don't think it's noise. It matters. I saw the post. I don't know how many starters UNC returned but I'll take your word for it. I think the defense improving is the bigger contributor more than anything.

I do agree with the "excuse" thing in general not specifically related to this year's circumstances This board since Schiano's time has always been talking about youth/injuries in one place or another from year to year. It used to be inexperienced OL or inexperienced QB and now lately inexperienced DBs. It doesn't mean that there wasn't some truth to those things or that they were completely illegitimate. BUT it's college football, players are graduating all the time and players are going to get hurt. It's the nature of the beast and those are your circumstances. You can't run away from them. The coaches/teams that do the best learn to adapt to them and overcome them.

An occasional year where everything seems to collapse on you, that's fine with me I can understand that but it cant be brought up almost yearly where it's one thing or another. That's too much. If one part of the team or side of the ball is handicapped for whatever reason then other parts of that side of the ball or team have to pick up the slack. It's rare you get perfect circumstances where everyone is healthy and very experienced. There are always going to be hiccups and you have to adapt to them.

I've said this before when talking about Fuente and his defense at Memphis. They lost their DC to Mizzou and 13 starters and backups this year and their defense which was good last year has cratered but they're still undefeated because their offense has picked up the slack and their D has performed just well enough. Now being undefeated is asking a bit much and an aberration but the point is they're still performing nicely as a team. TCU lost a bunch of defensive starters to injury and suspension but again their performing nicely because the offense again is picking up the slack. Forget about being undefeated, they're doing nicely. I believe their D has got some of those guys back. We saw OSU last year lose 3 QBs and still was able to win the national championship. I understand they're very talented but still that's an awesome job of coaching and adapting. This is what I want to see from a coaching staff.

The ACC sucks.

I think that's the real takeaway here. After getting our a---s handed to us by some teams in the Big, we destroyed UNC. Clearly we would have matched up size wise really well in that conference. The AAC is also terrible.

It's also more reason for us to be patient and stay the course. There isn't always a strong correlation between two consecutive seasons.

Reactions: SanFranRutgers
I don't think it's noise. It matters. I saw the post. I don't know how many starters UNC returned but I'll take your word for it. I think the defense improving is the bigger contributor more than anything.

I do agree with the "excuse" thing in general not specifically related to this year's circumstances This board since Schiano's time has always been talking about youth/injuries in one place or another from year to year. It used to be inexperienced OL or inexperienced QB and now lately inexperienced DBs. It doesn't mean that there wasn't some truth to those things or that they were completely illegitimate. BUT it's college football, players are graduating all the time and players are going to get hurt. It's the nature of the beast and those are your circumstances. You can't run away from them. The coaches/teams that do the best learn to adapt to them and overcome them.

An occasional year where everything seems to collapse on you, that's fine with me I can understand that but it cant be brought up almost yearly where it's one thing or another. That's too much. If one part of the team or side of the ball is handicapped for whatever reason then other parts of that side of the ball or team have to pick up the slack. It's rare you get perfect circumstances where everyone is healthy and very experienced. There are always going to be hiccups and you have to adapt to them.

I've said this before when talking about Fuente and his defense at Memphis. They lost their DC to Mizzou and 13 starters and backups this year and their defense which was good last year has cratered but they're still undefeated because their offense has picked up the slack and their D has performed just well enough. Now being undefeated is asking a bit much and an aberration but the point is they're still performing nicely as a team. TCU lost a bunch of defensive starters to injury and suspension but again their performing nicely because the offense again is picking up the slack. Forget about being undefeated, they're doing nicely. I believe their D has got some of those guys back. We saw OSU last year lose 3 QBs and still was able to win the national championship. I understand they're very talented but still that's an awesome job of coaching and adapting. This is what I want to see from a coaching staff.

I really enjoy reading your posts.

I got the returning starter numbers from Phil Steele's site.

I really enjoy reading your posts.

I got the returning starter numbers from Phil Steele's site.
Thanks. I'm probably one of the more long winded posters here, lol. But I always like to explain my points thoroughly so others can understand where I'm coming from.

UNC knew they had to fix their defense and instead of hiring some guy for 300K, they brought in a coach who had won a NC as both a DC and a HC to fix things.

Last year they were 119th in scoring defense. This year they are 13th.

UNC knew they had to fix their defense and instead of hiring some guy for 300K, they brought in a coach who had won a NC as both a DC and a HC to fix things.

Last year they were 119th in scoring defense. This year they are 13th.
Yup. I think the improvement is a little inflated by the inferior competition but nonetheless there definitely was improvement. I'm sure many of these teams on their schedule this year were also on their schedule last year so there is some constant. No FSU/Clemson though, lol.

We'll see if it keeps up in future years while Chizik is on staff.

Yup. I think the improvement is a little inflated by the inferior competition but nonetheless there definitely was improvement. I'm sure many of these teams on their schedule this year were also on their schedule last year so there is some constant. No FSU/Clemson though, lol.

We'll see if it keeps up in future years while Chizik is on staff.

You may be right about the inferior competition, but last year they were last in the ACC in scoring D by 12 ppg and last in yardage allowed by over 85 ypg. Hard to argue with 140 yards per game and 22 ppg. Schedule is weaker, but last year they gave up 70 to ECU and 50 twice. Today's 24 points allowed is the most so far this season.

You are right that time will tell with Chizik.

Reactions: BLewis1968
You may be right about the inferior competition, but last year they were last in the ACC in scoring D by 12 ppg and last in yardage allowed by over 85 ypg. Hard to argue with 140 yards per game and 22 ppg. Schedule is weaker, but last year they gave up 70 to ECU and 50 twice. Today's 24 points allowed is the most so far this season.

You are right that time will tell with Chizik.
Agree. Weaker schedule is part of it but you can't deny the improvement weaker schedule or not. But like I say, consistency is what I look for and that's only known with time.

No excuses, we had the fewest returning starters and next year we have no excuses. A lot of kids come back.

Right. I wouldn't hire Chizik anyway, but UNC has a chance to go 11-1. The last time they won 10+ games was 1997.

I'm very much a you get what you pay for kind of guy. Fedora is a good offensive mind, and they paired him with a good defensive mind and it's working well. Fedora doesn't have a huge contract. Rutgers can do something similar going forward if they choose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT