ADVERTISEMENT

update on my health

knights1212

Heisman Winner
Sep 9, 2003
I know several of my friends have asked about my health. I was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. My wife passed away on May 1 and shortly thereafter I lost both of our dogs to illness. It has been a really difficult 10 months for me. Losing my wife, the love of my life and my best friend for 42 and a half years was crushing to me. I would not want anyone to go through what my wife had to endure with 3 operations & treatments over 2 and a half years for cancer. She was so remarkable and faced things so bravely. She set an example that I will always remember. I have always loved sports and especially RU B-Ball and Linden B-Ball. I attend as many games as I can to stay busy and take my mind off of things. I have many family members, friends and former athletes from my track & cross country teams praying for me or sending thoughts my way. I wanted to give an update on my situation. The doctor told me yesterday that I have a low grade lymphoma. Many people do well with watchful waiting with this type. All with this will need chemotherapy eventually but that could be in 2 months or it could be in 4-8 years if I am really lucky. Once a person receives chemotherapy they can usually manage for quite a while too so I consider myself lucky. There are people that have things so much tougher than I do. I think I will be around for many years yet to attend RU and LHS games. I feel bad for my son as it is difficult to hear that your Mom passed away from cancer and 10 months later hear that your Dad now has cancer. He is however 28 and I think is handling things very well. I'm sorry if my rooting for a Linden player bugs some of you but I have followed LHS B-Ball since 1958 and I think I know a good player when I see one. I want to see RU at some time during my lifetime make the NCAA once again. I also hope that I can live long enough to see a practice facility built as well as seeing a little nicer and slightly expanded RAC. Any thoughts and prayers are always appreciated as I know those can only help.

I wish you only the best of health. It was nice seeing you at the Linden game.

Best of Luck,
Groz

I will hope and pray for you and your son that this latest setback in your life is overcome ASAP

Good health to you. I hope you live long enough to see RU win a national championship (that should get you to at least 100yrs. old).

My prayers are with you for good health but I think the RU basketball team may need more prayers than you!!

You're on the prayer list 1212, but don't think you're getting off easy- you have to stay here and watch Rutgers basketball with us diehards for many years to come!

Thoughts out to you during this difficult time, Knights1212.

Puts all of the programs struggles in proper perspective.

Arts a great guy and helped me out with a ticket for a friend last week. Truly a great person.

Positive vibes sent.

Best of luck to you knights1212. My good friend is an assistant at Linden so I go to quite a few of their games. Hopefully they'll play at Ridge in the sectional final. Would love to meet you if you go.

Thanks to everyone and the kind thoughts and prayers. Issy, I should be at the game tomorrow and if Linden wins I hope to be at Ridge if both advance.it would be nice to meet you.

Prayers to you, knights. It souncds like you deserve a break, so I hope that the chemo is still a long way down the road!

Nobody ever said life is fair, and you certainly have had more than your share of sorrow. Stay strong, and use all your family, and friends for the support you need. Side note, get a copy of "When bad things happen to good people." Author is Harold Kushner, an old book but still a good read.

Prayers are with you! Wish nothing but the best to a great Rutgers fan and poster. Plan on seeing you post on here for another 50 years.

Originally posted by knights1212:

I know several of my friends have asked about my health. I was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. My wife passed away on May 1 and shortly thereafter I lost both of our dogs to illness. It has been a really difficult 10 months for me. Losing my wife, the love of my life and my best friend for 42 and a half years was crushing to me. I would not want anyone to go through what my wife had to endure with 3 operations & treatments over 2 and a half years for cancer. She was so remarkable and faced things so bravely. She set an example that I will always remember. I have always loved sports and especially RU B-Ball and Linden B-Ball. I attend as many games as I can to stay busy and take my mind off of things. I have many family members, friends and former athletes from my track & cross country teams praying for me or sending thoughts my way. I wanted to give an update on my situation. The doctor told me yesterday that I have a low grade lymphoma. Many people do well with watchful waiting with this type. All with this will need chemotherapy eventually but that could be in 2 months or it could be in 4-8 years if I am really lucky. Once a person receives chemotherapy they can usually manage for quite a while too so I consider myself lucky. There are people that have things so much tougher than I do. I think I will be around for many years yet to attend RU and LHS games. I feel bad for my son as it is difficult to hear that your Mom passed away from cancer and 10 months later hear that your Dad now has cancer. He is however 28 and I think is handling things very well. I'm sorry if my rooting for a Linden player bugs some of you but I have followed LHS B-Ball since 1958 and I think I know a good player when I see one. I want to see RU at some time during my lifetime make the NCAA once again. I also hope that I can live long enough to see a practice facility built as well as seeing a little nicer and slightly expanded RAC. Any thoughts and prayers are always appreciated as I know those can only help.
Knights,

I'm very sorry for the loss of your wife and for the timing of your diagnosis.

Remember that everyone's fight is different, and the fact that you have an early diagnosis and low grade is positive news considering. My grandfather was diagnosed with cancer in his 60's and lived with it for over 25 years with much less advanced treatments and technologies than they have today. Keep fighting hard, and stay positive. Use that cross country mindset to push yourself every day.

P.S. - Don't worry about people's nonsense on the boards. Sports are there to be argued over, so if you have an opinion, speak it. None of us are experts, so if you rooting for Linden bugs someone, they can shove it. The kids on Linden must have some quality players because I don't care how well coached you are, when the other team has some of the best players in the country, no strategy/coaching can defeat them without talent.

Knights... you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Art - my deepest prayers are with you.

Please stay positive and if there is anything that I can do, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Phil

Thank you so much to everyone for the prayers, thoughts & well wishes. I am so grateful to all of you. I will see my doctor again on April 1 and have my blood checked again. In May I believe I will have another CAT scan to make certain the tumors have not grown any more. If I get any severe pain I must immediately notify the doctor. I will be at Linden's game tonight vs. Barringer. Now if this weather could just get a bit warmer maybe I could see my grass again.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Knights. Stay strong, Brother!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT