ADVERTISEMENT

Updated 2019/2020 Minutes

Pikiell has never coached Colorado.....and yes I have been involved in D1 recruitment.
I too have been involved with recruiting from a player's perspective as well as a coach. I'm not saying Coach Pike is a bad person, but his job depends on winning more than losing. If he can't convince enough quality kids to play for him, he may not have a job for long.

The most honest coach I've met is Coach Tom Osborne of Nebraska. This guy was a choir boy more so than Pike. I don't recall Osborne ever lying, but he has walked close to the edge to win a recruiting battle. It didn't make him a bad guy. It just made him human. I like Pike like most here, but don't put him a pedestal as if he's some god. There isn't a man on this earth who hasn't done something others haven't questioned as a poor decision. I don't think Pike is going to do the kids wrong, but he may not always be transparent with the kids.

This will be a fluid situation every night since we have 7 guys who could potentially lead the team in scoring any night.

Geo
Mathis
Young
Caleb
Eugene
Harper
Yeboah. Yeah I’m throwing him in there

Some night might have guys getting up to 30 minutes but I hope even the top minutes guys only average 26 minutes. Geo averaged 34 mins a game last year and it wore him down.
Eugene averaged 29. Mathis and Harper averaged 22. Those two are gonna have to battle to keep them. I can see Eugene and geo losing minutes to help improve their games and keep them fresher

There are many things Pike can’t change or control. The one thing he has control over is his word and reputation. I think that means something. The differentiator coming to Rutgers could be the culture and the coaching staff.

I totally understand what you are saying. I just think we have a different type of guy here.

If you go back to the archives I have not been a glass full type of guy. The past 4 coaches I early had major reservations.

Reactions: Goku
There are many things Pike can’t change or control. The one thing he has control over is his word and reputation. I think that means something. The differentiator coming to Rutgers could be the culture and the coaching staff.

I totally understand what you are saying. I just think we have a different type of guy here.

If you go back to the archives I have not been a glass full type of guy. The past 4 coaches I early had major reservations.
I'm with you on Pike, and I do think he is a different type of guy. I'm all in with him.

Well, now that Carino has confirmed the news, the minutes crunch for our perimeter players goes away and we have more questions about depth in the post.

Will we see more looks like 2005-06 Villanova, with 4 guards and a forward in the game?

With minutes opening up from Omoruyi, a possible minutes breakdown:

1: Baker 15, Young 10, Mulcahy 10, McConnell 5
2: Mathis 20, Baker 10, Young 10
3: Harper 15, McConnell 15, Kiss 5, Mathis 5
4: Yeboah 25, Harper 10, Carter 5
5: Johnson 25, Doucoure 10, Carter 5

Which gives you, in very rough terms:
25 - Baker
25 - Mathis
25 - Harper
25 - Johnson
25 - Yeboah
20 - McConnell
20 - Young
10 - Mulcahy
10 - Doucoure
10 - Carter
5 - Kiss

Mulcahy I feel will get more than 10 minutes. I also think Carter would get more than 10 if Eugene is really gone. We shall see.

Reactions: Scangg
I'm thinking we will add a guy to give minutes at the 4, but based on what we have :

29 Yeboah
29 Harper
28 Baker
24 Mathis
24 Johnson
18 McConnell
17 Young
11 Carter
10 Mulcahy
5 Duke
5 Kiss

Mulcahy I feel will get more than 10 minutes. I also think Carter would get more than 10 if Eugene is really gone. We shall see.

This is my expectation for the early part of the season - things will undoubtedly start to shake out differently toward the end of the season. I don't see Mulcahy consistently taking more than 10 mpg in the first half the season, but once he gets his legs under him at the pace of the B1G game, his minutes may well tick up down the stretch (as McConnell's did).

PG: Young (20), Mulcahy (13), Geo (6), McConnell (1)
2G: Geo (24), Mathis (16)
WF: Harper (24) McConnell (16)
PF: Yeboah (22), Harper (6), Carter (12)
C: Myles (21), Doucoure (12), Carter (7),

Geo (30)
Harper (30)
Yeboah (22)
Myles (21)
Young (20)
Carter (19)
McConnell (17)
Mathis (16)
Mulcahy (13)
Doucoure (12)

This is going to be very interesting....a few guys are going to be right and a few guys are going to be wrong, but most will get some right and some wrong.

I love this stuff.

1- Gio (in honor of EO mispelling) 25 Mulcahy 15
2- Mathis 13 Young 22 Geo 5
3- Harper 10 Mathis 12 Caleb 18
4- Yeboah 24 Harper 16
5- Myles 24 Carter 8 Duke 8

Geo 30
Harper 26
Mathis 25
Yeboah 24
Myles 24
Young 22
Caleb 18
Mulcahy 15
Carter/Duke 16

1 caveat is Peter Kiss is still in play. He understands now what it will take to be considered for PT and obviously his shooting can't fail him. A Kiss that rebounds, defends and shoots at it at a high rate would take minutes from the weakest guy 1 thru 8 on this list or maybe trim minutes from a few.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT