ADVERTISEMENT

Updated roster

This is all I have been hoping for since the new staff took over. A point guard who has an extra year to play and can shore up our backcourt duties.

Coach Yo has about five guards on her roster now. I wonder if we looked into recruiting this young lady. By the looks of her stats, she is just what we need on our roster.

One of the posters on men’s board mentioned something about Pikiells daughter transferring from Northwestern to RU - no idea if there is any truth to it

One of the posters on men’s board mentioned something about Pikiells daughter transferring from Northwestern to RU - no idea if there is any truth to it
Brook Pikiell was a senior 2020-21 so I doubt she is eligible. Bio

Just to be clear, Pikiell just said she was coming here for MBA, did not say she had interest in hoops, if I understand what the guys on the mens board said

According to mens board she is coming here for MBA - due to Covid year she would still have eligibility
Looks like she played in games all 4 years. If she graduated in 2021 didn't she burn her Covid year by not playing anywhere during the 2021-2022 season?

Looks like she played in games all 4 years. If she graduated in 2021 didn't she burn her Covid year by not playing anywhere during the 2021-2022 season?
Not sure.. She's played 4 years out of 5 years. I could be wrong, but didn't the Covid year allow for 5 years of participation in 6 years?

She didn't get much playing time at Northwestern, and I think she scored a total of 4 points in her 4 year career there, so not sure if that's indicative of her skills or not, or indicative of how much she could help here..

Not sure.. She's played 4 years out of 5 years. I could be wrong, but didn't the Covid year allow for 5 years of participation in 6 years?

She didn't get much playing time at Northwestern, and I think she scored a total of 4 points in her 4 year career there, so not sure if that's indicative of her skills or not, or indicative of how much she could help here..
You might be right.

WHAT???!!

Maybe this is common practice and I missed it, but I've never seen this kind of recruitment prominently placed in any program's social media.

Does this do harm to our rebuilding image going forward? I hope not, but it is definitely not a good look.

I guess those on the roster are working out like crazy because they better be in the best condition of their lives. It's an opportunity for them to get tons of air time....That's for sure!

Please tell me I'm wrong.....But I'm thinking this is making others look at RUWBB as a joke right now. Not that being a walk on is anything to be ashamed of, but that no one wants to play here and we now appear desperate.

And I also don't think it was a good idea to put Awa's image in this Walk-0n poster.

This needs to be taken down and re-thought. Put posters on campus with a picture of a basketball with the R emblem instead of any of the current players. This is one poster that they may not find flattering to be on.

• Haha
Reactions: Scarletwoman

Please tell me I'm wrong.....But I'm thinking this is making others look at RUWBB as a joke right now. Not that being a walk on is anything to be ashamed of, but that no one wants to play here and we now appear desperate.

And I also don't think it was a good idea to put Awa's image in this Walk-0n poster.

This needs to be taken down and re-thought. Put posters on campus with a picture of a basketball with the R emblem instead of any of the current players. This is one poster that they may not find flattering to be on.
The social media is a good idea. That's where prospective players might see it.

They are desperate, they need some additional bodies. I'm sure it isn't that no one wants to play at Rutgers. Rather, with the timing, there just are not any good matches.

I don't care about this year's "recruiting" - I care about next years, when she is on an even playing field with everyone else.

The social media is a good idea. That's where prospective players might see it.

They are desperate, they need some additional bodies. I'm sure it isn't that no one wants to play at Rutgers. Rather, with the timing, there just are not any good matches.

I don't care about this year's "recruiting" - I care about next years, when she is on an even playing field with everyone else.
I would say that many of us, as fans, have been in desperation mode when we don't see players being added at a time when everyone else is doing or has done just that. I think we all felt there would be ample opportunity to fill out the roster with all of the players still in the portal.

This RU staff does not appear to be operating out of desperation.
They seem to be sticking to a selectiveness that suggests they are willing to wait for the players they want regarding scholarships. I understand that when it comes to underclassmen, but we couldn't get one grad transfer or extra-year senior at point guard? Seems like there were a lot of them still in the portal from the time CW took over til recent weeks.

I know the current players care about the recruiting for this season. They will welcome the playing time but I'm sure don't want to be embarrassed by playing in a competitive league with no point guard and a disadvantage in post, especially during national broadcasts.

CW won't be judged by this year's recruiting but I don't believe in a throwaway year....and I hope she doesn't either. Unless we land an outstanding walk-on or two, only one addition(the young lady from St Peters) since taking over in late May, IMO, will not be a good start.....even with the difficult hand she was dealt.

Wasn't able to keep Petree or Sanderlin and couldn't bring in (1) PG. Not a good start.

Lastly, I also don't think it is a thing of players not wanting to play at RU. I think this media post recruiting walk-ons gives others that impression. I think, if sold the right way, a coach could have brought in some pretty good players over the last two months. Coach also has to have that kind of "pull". Banghart started pulling players in immediately upon arrival at UNC. So did Lawson at Duke.

As Mad stated in earlier post, it looks like CW is going to have to show the young prospects who she is as a coach and re-establish her status as a winner. Same goes for Nikki McCray-Penson in erasing the doubts some may have, fairly or unfairly, from the year at Miss. St.

Although I may seem harshly critical already, just to be clear, I have faith they will get it right.

That walk-on tweet…
What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

at least CW gets lots of wiggle room to make something out of the pile of smoky embers she was handed. Most coaches who follow a legend are set up to succeed…a tough gig, no doubt, but at RU we somehow managed the opposite. Hope CW uses all the unexpected growth space to reinvent the program as she wants it…no need to pussy-foot around the previous accomplishments as they were pulverized with a nuclear-powered howitzer.

Last edited by a moderator:

This woman has the power to put me at ease every time I hear her speak. Although we still need to find a serviceable point guard, she makes me feel confident that we will be back in the mix in a couple years.

I would say that many of us, as fans, have been in desperation mode when we don't see players being added at a time when everyone else is doing or has done just that. I think we all felt there would be ample opportunity to fill out the roster with all of the players still in the portal.

This RU staff does not appear to be operating out of desperation.
They seem to be sticking to a selectiveness that suggests they are willing to wait for the players they want regarding scholarships. I understand that when it comes to underclassmen, but we couldn't get one grad transfer or extra-year senior at point guard? Seems like there were a lot of them still in the portal from the time CW took over til recent weeks.

I know the current players care about the recruiting for this season. They will welcome the playing time but I'm sure don't want to be embarrassed by playing in a competitive league with no point guard and a disadvantage in post, especially during national broadcasts.

CW won't be judged by this year's recruiting but I don't believe in a throwaway year....and I hope she doesn't either. Unless we land an outstanding walk-on or two, only one addition(the young lady from St Peters) since taking over in late May, IMO, will not be a good start.....even with the difficult hand she was dealt.

Wasn't able to keep Petree or Sanderlin and couldn't bring in (1) PG. Not a good start.

Lastly, I also don't think it is a thing of players not wanting to play at RU. I think this media post recruiting walk-ons gives others that impression. I think, if sold the right way, a coach could have brought in some pretty good players over the last two months. Coach also has to have that kind of "pull". Banghart started pulling players in immediately upon arrival at UNC. So did Lawson at Duke.

As Mad stated in earlier post, it looks like CW is going to have to show the young prospects who she is as a coach and re-establish her status as a winner. Same goes for Nikki McCray-Penson in erasing the doubts some may have, fairly or unfairly, from the year at Miss. St.

Although I may seem harshly critical already, just to be clear, I have faith they will get it right.
The main reason I'm starting to get concerned is that RUcrazee seems concerned lol. RUcrazee was a positive voice throughout the coaching search. Go RU!

I'm trying hard not to be too concerned. We do have a core of good players. It sounds like establishing a culture is of upmost importance to the staff. We just have to hope that no one gets injured and they find some decent walk-ons to add to the numbers.

We just have to hope that no one gets injured and they find some decent walk-ons to add to the numbers.
I guess, with what we went through last season, I'm finding it harder to trust that everything is going to be fine when glaring issues are present. But I'll also hope for no injuries, decent walk-ons, and no foul trouble this year.

It just makes me think of how well positioned we were at this time last year, even with Diamond and Zippy's departures. Would have loved to see what a decent coach could have done with that team.

I guess, with what we went through last season, I'm finding it harder to trust that everything is going to be fine when glaring issues are present. But I'll also hope for no injuries, decent walk-ons, and no foul trouble this year.

It just makes me think of how well positioned we were at this time last year, even with Diamond and Zippy's departures. Would have loved to see what a decent coach could have done with that team.
The fact that we have to place any hope on walk-ons of any quality is frightening. Wouldn’t we be better off with some 1 year portal rentals? At least they have been playin/practicing college ball somewhere but what do I know.

Reactions: RUcrazee
The fact that we have to place any hope on walk-ons of any quality is frightening. Wouldn’t we be better off with some 1 year portal rentals? At least they have been playin/practicing college ball somewhere but what do I know.
I'm sure the one year rewntals were l;ooked at and in come cases baggage they carried was the reason no real effort to bring them in.
Other rentals might have looked at RUWBB and felt the chances of tourney play was slim and didn't want to spend their last season with a program that probable wasn't going to dance.
This seaon doesn't look promicing, but the way CW runms the program might have HS talent feel she will make RU a dance team soon and decide to be part of the making Rutgers a winner again .

Might be worth a look. Not big stats at all but could provide some much needed ball handling.

In the end, I think everyone needs to wrap their head around the fact that Coach Washington is more interested in building the program "her way" than having short-term success this season.

Out here, as I have mentioned, Arizona ditched a good portion of the squad after this season and the coach admitted (and took responsibility for) the fact that the culture just wasn't what it should have been, even though the season was certainly respectable. I don't think Coach W wants to face that situation.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I don't think that it was an unreasonable expectation for us to be able to have a full roster by now. Nobody is expecting a Big 10 title or anything this season. And I say,....Why can't you do both at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive(building culture and bringing in a pg).

And when it comes to Adia and Arizona, I don't know if that situation is a good one to look at for insight into what's going on here with building culture. She pretty much came out after their final game last season and threw a good portion of the team under the bus. She pretty much said she needed better players.....and it's ok, cause they are on the way. A lot of the players who left were not anyone who would cause a culture problem......so that explanation doesn't add up, IMO.

I see that as more of a poor reflection on her, as the coach, than it was on the players she ditched to make room for other players who project to be better talents. Honestly, it looked more like she was embarrassed with the teams underachievement and scapegoated some players.

Reactions: OJRutgers
When there is such a vacuum of leadership within the program to bring in 1 year rentals could be disastrous. I respect what Coach Washington is doing here. She would rather play with the 8 players she has on the roster than bring in someone (another programs problem) that will set the program back further. This was not going to be a good season no matter how you look at it.

Needing a full roster is the truth, but not if filling it means bringing in players that were considered cancers in the locker-room by the programs they left.
Nor waste multiple year schollies on less talented players that keep CW from recruiting the talent needed to fill a roster with players that can make RU a winner.

This year probably will be a griminess and beer it ( 12pack a game at the least )
while we (cheap) whine during 2022-23 games and expect ( recruiting & play) improvement in the 2023-24 season

• Haha
Reactions: runrutgersrun
I find it hard to believe that there aren't a few players in the portal from lower level programs who aren't cancers and aspire to play in the B1G and could fill in for 1 year. Either way, as others have stated, it's going to be a long season.

I find it hard to believe that there aren't a few players in the portal from lower level programs who aren't cancers and aspire to play in the B1G and could fill in for 1 year. Either way, as others have stated, it's going to be a long season.
agree, but it could be they want to play for a winning program their last year more than playing for a perceived loser even if it's B1G.

Reactions: RULoyal
Yeah I know, I’m just having a hard time coming to grips with it.
No matter what, expect heartache this season , but hope CW shows enough coaching chops, by making the team play better than expected, to the HS talent and those going into the portal looking for a college home in 2023-4 season to have a chance to have some of them make RU their choice in order to start building a program we can point to with pride.

Reactions: RULoyal
Totally unfair to label all those who lingered in the portal or entered in the last couple of months as "cancers". For example....Petree and Sanderlin were in no way cancers or our programs' problem players.

We all know that players are snapped up by talent level, first and foremost. Some that have lingered may not be elite talent but they sure could have helped our situation.

We're talking about final year eligibility players....At that stage of their careers, a clear player history is known for coaches to know whether to pursue or avoid.

Eight players, most young and inexperienced in P5-level play, plus a few walk-ons is putting yourself in position to get players hurt.

The reality of this situation, IMO, appears to be that CW was unable to take advantage of the portal in June because of the focus on filling the staff. It's just unfortunate that we missed out on some portal prospects that could have rounded out the roster nicely. She's only one person, and as she said in interviews, she was by herself in the beginning.

I just hope they are still actively looking.

Since East Tennessee State has let go their WBB coach, perhaps there will be some transfers there. One can hope.

It only becomes a problem if she fails to bring in some talent by start of this school year. if we fall two full seasons behind in recruiting and especially in this conference it is a recipe for disaster on the Banks. I’m finding it hard to believe we don’t have at least 10-12 players by now. When you hire a new coach an experienced HC they need to have a plan , assistants with contacts to current players looking to move and a more open avenue to fans who really want the girls program to succeed.

Yeah I know, I’m just having a hard time coming to grips with it.
Me, too. I'm trying to look at it this way. Coach is so happy with how the recruiting is going already for next year that she is being really picky with who she might bring in as a short-term rental at all. My other thought (it's always dangerous when I think, lol) is that there is something in the tail end of her time at PSU that has made her very circumspect and cautious in her program decision making...dotting her i's and crossing her t's twice. Maybe there is also something making her cautious as she learns more about what went down with CVS and RU and the tail end of that relationship. She seems pretty smart....she did a great job attracting a staff...but that took time, too. Go CW! Go RU!

Yes there are things to worry about.
Maybe there are portal players worth going after, that would help .
Could be most one year rentals are looking to dance and feel RU might give them playing time but not tourney satisfaction.
Could be CW doesn't feel some of the rentals willing to come would be a good fit and wind up unhappy..

We can excuse ( taking for myself) or wonder why, but if they aren't coming there probably is a reason and it might not be program killing.
Just a delayed return to recruiting talent that makes programs winners because of the team depth chart is full of talented players.

CW has to prove herself as a winning HC and also a winner in the recruiting game.
She started out taking over a program in disarray and needed time to hire a quality staff.
I'll give her more time to fill thew roster, but feel it will be walk-ons that will play not because they are rotation types, but because they will be giving the rotation players needed rest while CW tries to get the most out of what talent they possess.,

My other thought (it's always dangerous when I think, lol) is that there is something in the tail end of her time at PSU that has made her very circumspect and cautious in her program decision making...dotting her i's and crossing her t's twice.
I get the same sense from everything we've seen and heard so far.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
ADVERTISEMENT