ADVERTISEMENT

Updated roster

I know everyone is willing to be patient with our program's rebuild. Me too. But I just don't like the idea of being willing to let this year be 'whatever' with just 8 players and maybe a few walk-ons.

I know the program is the priority but danggitt!, the student-athletes who chose to commit to RUWBB deserve the program's commitment to them also, right???

This season is no throwaway to me, because of those players who chose here after RU recruited them. The newcomers, but mainly thinking about Chyna and Erica who have persevered through a freshman year in which they didn't see the court, a second year of the same during a losing season, and now.....an incomplete roster with anticipation of another rough season.

All you former athletes know all too well, the value of each year of eligibility. Everyone is not going pro.....and for the athlete, there are no years to just throw away while being patient for next year. It's not fair to these 8 players, who chose to stay when they could have left also. It's not fair if the coaching staff doesn't do all they can to put them in the best position for growth and success.

Not saying CW and staff are not doing all they can, because we don't know what they are doing. Hopefully, they are still digging through the portal for the sake of the 8 players.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Since East Tennessee State has let go their WBB coach, perhaps there will be some transfers there. One can hope.
YES! Hoping Jiselle Thomas, who just left Temple to play there, will come back to the area and play for us. Has one year left can get a chance to be seen nationally just like Osh took advantage of.

Also another grad transfer guard from Cali on that roster.

Though it doesn't sound very good
I'm alright if CW doesn't bring in any more scholarship players for this season, but expect a full load (HS recruiting /portal wise) for next year's roster.
I am a bit worried about getting walk-on players for thew upcoming 2022-23 season to spell the 8 rotation players enough so they don;t wear out before the seasons over

Though it doesn't sound very good
I'm alright if CW doesn't bring in any more scholarship players for this season, but expect a full load (HS recruiting /portal wise) for next year's roster.
I am a bit worried about getting walk-on players for thew upcoming 2022-23 season to spell the 8 rotation players enough so they don;t wear out before the seasons over
If is a big word… hope she does but we’ll see.

If is a big word… hope she does but we’ll see.
You got that right, hope is the only thing we have because if doesn't do the job.
The mess CW knowingly walked into needed to be straitened out and now getting the players needed to win is the mess she has now.

I get more and more nervous as I watch the announcement of commitments to other schools while we have zero commitments for ‘23 or ‘24. I think it’s time for me to take a break from monitoring our recruitment progress and check back in a month.

I get more and more nervous as I watch the announcement of commitments to other schools while we have zero commitments for ‘23 or ‘24. I think it’s time for me to take a break from monitoring our recruitment progress and check back in a month.
They will be difficult to get until we put a product on the floor. Remember, these are verbals, not LOI.

I would expect - being in it from the start - that CW will need to hit the portal next year in addition to a limited bag of recruits.

Rebuilding a program takes time. People's memories of success are short, and last year's disaster of a season probably left a bad taste in prospective recruits mouths.

And now Princeton and the Hall are on the schedule. This could be brutal. I hope not.
Was just thinking about this. Who made this decision?!

CW said the non-conference schedule was already decided for her. Why would Hobbs (or whoever) schedule them for this season when they knew that the new coach is just trying to get a team in order??

Doesn't seem to be the most considerate decision to make for the new coach. The Battle for Atlantis is going to be tough enough.

It's like a boxing trainer seeing his fighter break a hand sparring, and the next day setting up a fight with Ken Norton. What are you doing??

Was just thinking about this. Who made this decision?!

CW said the non-conference schedule was already decided for her. Why would Hobbs (or whoever) schedule them for this season when they knew that the new coach is just trying to get a team in order??

Doesn't seem to be the most considerate decision to make for the new coach. The Battle for Atlantis is going to be tough enough.

It's like a boxing trainer seeing his fighter break a hand sparring, and the next day setting up a fight with Ken Norton. What are you doing??
I believe scheduling is done far in advance of the season game is played .

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Some of it certainly is. Some of it is fill in the blanks, that happens later.

If, as @RUcrazee suggests, CW says the schedule was decided, that would have been the previous regime. While the AD may facilitate scheduling, and even make demands, and the school sets the scheduling budget - the actual scheduling is on the coaching staff.

By this I mean if RU and Seton Hall agreed at some point to resuming competition in a number of sports, WBB would have to schedule; otherwise, perhaps Seton Hall and Princeton fit in for a reduced travel budget. Any number of possibilities. None sinister.

Reactions: RUcrazee
Yeah, maybe so.

I always thought coaches played a big role in picking that schedule each year based on the product they expect to put on the court. Coaches with young, rebuilding teams may decide to have a confidence building out-of-conference schedule, while if they felt they had a contender, they may schedule a heavyweight or two as a test or make a statement.

It's been clear since Diamond left, that we would need the confidence building schedule so our unstable roster could at least stack some wins before conference play.

Some of it certainly is. Some of it is fill in the blanks, that happens later.

If, as @RUcrazee suggests, CW says the schedule was decided, that would have been the previous regime. While the AD may facilitate scheduling, and even make demands, and the school sets the scheduling budget - the actual scheduling is on the coaching staff.

By this I mean if RU and Seton Hall agreed at some point to resuming competition in a number of sports, WBB would have to schedule; otherwise, perhaps Seton Hall and Princeton fit in for a reduced travel budget. Any number of possibilities. None sinister.
Makes a lot of sense.

I just can't see the previous staff putting them on the schedule for this upcoming season. Based on the interview in which CW stated it was already done, and the interviewer then stating that Hobbs really wanted to renew those rivalries, I think it may have been the AD.

Just based on their recent history, the previous staff has been doing the confidence building oocs with the tests being the Paradise or Bahamas tourney and the Big 10/ACC Challenge game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT