ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting VIDEO: San Diego transfer wing PJ Hayes highlight tape

Can someone remind me why he won't be starting next Dylan/Ace, drawing defenders away from them or getting open shots when the defense collapses on Ace/Dylan?

Shouldn't he be our 3rd option on offense?

Can someone remind me why he won't be starting next Dylan/Ace, drawing defenders away from them or getting open shots when the defense collapses on Ace/Dylan?

Not very fast footed, not very good defensively, not really big enough to play the 4. If he had another inch or two and could play any D, i'd agree, he's probably the starter over Martini.

Klay Thompson-esque quick release and gooseneck.
And Klay was lightly recruited and lightly regarded until he started putting numbers in college.
Klay is more athletic/explosive (at least for now) and can dunk with power but he is not an above-the-rim player by any stretch.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

In some matchups, PJ may start or maybe he is the first guy off the bench at the 16 minute mark. Pike has lots of options this year.

Not very fast footed, not very good defensively, not really big enough to play the 4. If he had another inch or two and could play any D, i'd agree, he's probably the starter over Martini.

Oh I meant starting as an off ball wing 2/3.
Not potentially around the basket or a 4.

If he's seemingly our best shooter, then it just seems to make sense he's on the floor as much as possible.

If he's seemingly our best shooter, then it just seems to make sense he's on the floor as much as possible.
Purple Rainin’ Treys should never be closer than 20 feet away from Ace on offense. Ace will draw double teams to stop his penetration and pull up game…and with an additional pass or two…Spliccash!

Got ya. I think he's probably too one dimensional to have on the court that much.
I would have Acuff start alongside Dylan and Ace at the 1-3, opponents will need to guard Acuff outside. JWill is going to have to prove it by shooting better than 27% for a while before people come out to guard him.

His PT will likely be dictated by the help defending ability of those around him. His on ball defense isn’t good but probably looks worse than it really is due to how bad San Diego was at help. We don’t have a Caleb on bail out. The question is how much closer are the guys we have to as good as Caleb versus as bad as San Diego. For all their flaws, last year’s guards were all much better defenders than PJ.

Love the options we have this year. It's quite the stark contrast to last year. We can play whomever is hot that day. We can play different combinations depending on opponent. This is going to be a fun ride.

To many variables have to play out. For example, what kind of shooter will Acuff be when he moves off ball and gets the same open looks that PJ got? If he's roughly comparable, then his better D and ball handling and all around game likely puts him on the floor over PJ. And on an on.

To many variables have to play out. For example, what kind of shooter will Acuff be when he moves off ball and gets the same open looks that PJ got? If he's roughly comparable, then his better D and ball handling and all around game likely puts him on the floor over PJ. And on an on.
The big question is whether or not PJ will be a big liability on D. That probably depends on the opponent and those defending around him. PJ gets beat in one on one match ups. If our guys can get there on bail out then maybe it won’t matter too much. Have to see how it all comes together.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Fast or is he quick? B1G difference… is he able to laterally move well ? It ain’t a sprint all the time. One of the better shots I ‘ve seen . If he’s quick … can free himself up he’ll help us.

The big question is whether or not PJ will be a big liability on D. That probably depends on the opponent and those defending around him. PJ gets beat in one on one match ups. If our guys can get there on bail out then maybe it won’t matter too much. Have to see how it all comes together.
And it depends on how well Acuff's D translates to high major, and if Derkak's outside shooting improves, and how well Grant and Dortch play, and on and on.

And it depends on how well Acuff's D translates to high major, and if Derkak's outside shooting improves, and how well Grant and Dortch play, and on and on.

I see your point, but it’s quite a bit different. The things you are pointing to, outside of Derkak’s shooting, are neutral unknowns.

PJ is coming in with film that demonstrates that he was a poor perimeter defender in the WCC (not just against Gonzaga and St Mary’s). It’s a footwork thing, so it’s unlikely he’ll just suddenly improve materially at this. The unknown “hope” is that just as Caleb masked some of the defensive issues that guys like Paul had, our help D will be enough better than San Diego’s where PJ’s defensive lapses are not quite as rate limiting. Sure - Acuff might have defensive issues of his own playing up a level but his starting point on D is way higher than PJ’s. There’s enough film on both to note this.

Doubt if Acuff is good enough to start in the B1G. JWill certainly is.

Hayes (and potentially Acuff) appear to offer a different skillset and option.

JWill (to me) seems to just duplicate the skill set of Dylan (who will already be on the floor).

Ultimately the question will be - are we finally going to swap out defense for offense?
Or are we going to put all the scoring burden on Ace/Dylan with few options or help?
Sure, last years guards may have been better defenders.
How did that work out?

• Love
I see your point, but it’s quite a bit different. The things you are pointing to, outside of Derkak’s shooting, are neutral unknowns.

PJ is coming in with film that demonstrates that he was a poor perimeter defender in the WCC (not just against Gonzaga and St Mary’s). It’s a footwork thing, so it’s unlikely he’ll just suddenly improve materially at this. The unknown “hope” is that just as Caleb masked some of the defensive issues that guys like Paul had, our help D will be enough better than San Diego’s where PJ’s defensive lapses are not quite as rate limiting. Sure - Acuff might have defensive issues of his own playing up a level but his starting point on D is way higher than PJ’s. There’s enough film on both to note this.
Right. I'm just saying that how much time one player gets vs. another depends on how all these variables shake out. Not just one. So, for example, let's say PJ's D sucks and the team's help D can't pick up the slack...but Acuff's D also is bad and he's not hitting shots...

I'm not saying it's not worth talking about. Just that there are dozens of variables in play.

Hayes (and potentially Acuff) appear to offer a different skillset and option.

JWill (to me) seems to just duplicate the skill set of Dylan (who will already be on the floor).

Ultimately the question will be - are we finally going to swap out defense for offense?
Or are we going to put all the scoring burden on Ace/Dylan with few options or help?
Sure, last years guards may have been better defenders.
How did that work out?

Why does it have to be either/or?

When Cam was at RU he had 166 three point attempts. Using that as a baseline - let's assume that Hayes is able to shoot .400 from 3 while a different player is able to shoot .350 in a similar role. That differential accounts for only a ~25 point differential over the course of the season or less than one point per game. The challenge is how many points will Hayes be responsible for giving up on D versus his replacement?

Watching this and Lathan tape I don’t think we need to play defense lol

One thing is certain -- both Hayes and Martini can friggin shoot from deep. I want ONE of them on the court at just about all times, so that we have a pure spot-up shooter in the game to space the floor for all of the ball handlers/scorers.

I'm confident Pike will figure out the defense issues that might go along with having one of these guys on the court at any one time.

Why does it have to be either/or?

When Cam was at RU he had 166 three point attempts. Using that as a baseline - let's assume that Hayes is able to shoot .400 from 3 while a different player is able to shoot .350 in a similar role. That differential accounts for only a ~25 point differential over the course of the season or less than one point per game. The challenge is how many points will Hayes be responsible for giving up on D versus his replacement?

I only mentioned that because the immediate response to playing our shooters was "but what about their defense???"

The challenge is also who the 35% shooter is.

I wasn't saying play Hayes over Acuff.
I'm saying play Hayes/Acuff (either one really) over JWill.

That's the swap. It shouldn't be Acuff or Hayes splitting 15-20mpg.
They should be splitting 30+mpg (see Cam and his 32mpg for us).
Our best shooters need a significant role.

It would be quite a change from Pike to sit Jwill and/or Derkack in favor of Hayes no matter how good his shooting is. And I don't use Spencer as a comparison because Spencer was far from a liability defensively and I think led the team in steals.

Am I the only one (he says, teeing one up for the crowd) that would prefer videos of new or potential players to include like 10-15 highlights, 10-15 lowlights, and 10-15 full offensive and defensive series chosen as representative of the players strengths and weaknesses?

I find these highlight videos kind of useless because the action is cherry-picked to avoid anything negative. We generally get a totally false impression because all weaknesses are edited out.

Am I the only one (he says, teeing one up for the crowd) that would prefer videos of new or potential players to include like 10-15 highlights, 10-15 lowlights, and 10-15 full offensive and defensive series chosen as representative of the players strengths and weaknesses?

I find these highlight videos kind of useless because the action is cherry-picked to avoid anything negative. We generally get a totally false impression because all weaknesses are edited out.
Dude shot like 40% from trey with medium volume. Smaller version of Oskar who will get some good looks and hot streaks in games.🤷‍♂️

Dude shot like 40% from trey with medium volume. Smaller version of Oskar who will get some good looks and hot streaks in games.🤷‍♂️
Stats are somewhat more helpful than these highlight videos, yes. I was mostly just being mildly irritated by highlight videos which are fodder for cheerleading rather than being particularly useful for analysis.

It would be quite a change from Pike to sit Jwill and/or Derkack in favor of Hayes no matter how good his shooting is. And I don't use Spencer as a comparison because Spencer was far from a liability defensively and I think led the team in steals.
JWill may have been our worst defending guard last year, despite being bigger and longer than all of them. Just because he was better overall than last years guards doesn't mean he should be considered a sure thing this year. Pike will see them all summer and early fall to decide who adds what. No result should be surprising.

Right. I'm just saying that how much time one player gets vs. another depends on how all these variables shake out. Not just one. So, for example, let's say PJ's D sucks and the team's help D can't pick up the slack...but Acuff's D also is bad and he's not hitting shots...

I'm not saying it's not worth talking about. Just that there are dozens of variables in play.
I’ve seen enough film to feel pretty confident that Acuff won’t be worse than Noah on D. His floor is - “mediocre but serviceable”.

I’ll be thrilled if we get that level S from PJ based on the film. I understand what your trying to say but there’s a big difference between not being a plus defender, and being such a liability that teams deliberately drive at you.

Best players play.

Stats are somewhat more helpful than these highlight videos, yes. I was mostly just being mildly irritated by highlight videos which are fodder for cheerleading rather than being particularly useful for analysis.
They are called highlight videos for a reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT