ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting VIDEO: San Diego transfer wing PJ Hayes highlight tape

Hayes (and potentially Acuff) appear to offer a different skillset and option.

JWill (to me) seems to just duplicate the skill set of Dylan (who will already be on the floor).

Ultimately the question will be - are we finally going to swap out defense for offense?
Or are we going to put all the scoring burden on Ace/Dylan with few options or help?
Sure, last years guards may have been better defenders.
How did that work out?
So you want to take the scoring burden off Ace/Dylan by putting them with two non-creators? Makes zero sense. We need defense, secondary ball handling, playmaking still. JWill provides that. Also takes the defensive burden off the two freshman as well, which opens them up on offense.

Reactions: PaKnight
Why do you say that?
He put up volume numbers on an absolutely atrocious team. Reminds me of the fake numbers Agee had on an equally bad San Jose State team. I’m not saying he can’t help, however.

He put up volume numbers on an absolutely atrocious team. Reminds me of the fake numbers Agee had on an equally bad San Jose State team. I’m not saying he can’t help, however.
In 2022, he put up much better numbers, 45/34/81 14.3ppg 55% from 2pt, when he had Emoni Bates, 19.1 ppg, in the NBA 23-24 and Noah Farrakhan, 12.4 ppg, but that team was 8-23 because the rest of the rotation was young and inexperienced compared to 13-18 last year, 43/29/81 21ppg 50% from 2pt, and no one on the team averaging double figures, 9.8ppg in 24gm. I think you will see him return closer to his 22-23 form than 23-24 when he isn't the only offensive option.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Oh Acuff is going to help us a lot. Have you seen his tapes? Nothing fake there.

Have you ever been the best player on a bad team? I have and it’s not easy. On O, I got double teamed and when I passed out of the double, we had too many bad shots and TOs. I felt like I had to do everything. In that situation, for Acuff to average 22 per game and 42%+ from the field is impressive and shows me mental toughness on his part.

I think he contributes a lot. We will see.

Last edited:
Oh Acuff is going to help us.

Have you ever been the best player on a bad team? I have and it’s not easy. On O, I got double teamed and when I passed out of the double, it we had too many bad shots and TOs. I felt like I had to do everything. In that situation, for Acuff to average 22 per game and 42%+ from the field is impressive and shows me mental toughness on his part. I think he contributes a lot. We will see.
Yep. I see him either starting as a very valuable glue piece or instant offense off the bench.

First of all, it’s nothing like Agee, because at face value, it’s apples and oranges to compare a center who feasts on garbage time stats collected in the paint to a high percentage sharpshooter - even if the sharpshooter collects his points against the same level defender. Put backs in the post against bad players are meaningless. I don’t care who the defender is - sharp shooting even with a late close out defender running at you still has some translation meaning if you can exploit a D that needs to focus on stopping other guys and find your shooter wide open.

All this said - it should also be pointed out that San Jose state’s 5-16 team (2020-21) wasn’t just “a little worse” than San Diego’s 18-15 team from last season….

Last edited:
He was rated a 4 star portal transfer on Rivals. That’s no Agee.

It deserves a double mention that the comparative records of the 2020-21 San Jose State team to San Diego 2023-24 doesn’t even do justice to the actual gap. That 5 win SJS team was MUCH MUChH worse. only beat two D1 teams the whole year - and those 2 opponents only won 5 and 6 games respectively. San Diego’s 18 wins included teams like Santa Clara (20 wins) and Arizona State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT