ADVERTISEMENT

W. Lax HC?

How do we always stray so far from the original topic which is we still don't have a new women's head lacrosse coach and it has been 6 weeks

Reactions: OntheBanks
Yes, but what can we do about it? RU's worst hire ever was Flood, in part to save a recruiting class ( and save money). I'm concerned, but am fine with time needed if Hobbs is pursuing a great coach.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I'll make a determination on the hire and length of time after it is made and announced.

If he hits a home run, I don't care how long it took.

No info but I am guessing after the Ash hire, he's taking more time to vet and interview candidates than maybe he otherwise would have.

So far he's hired the softball coach who has been very good immediately, men's soccer, we will see, Ash of course who looks to be a flame out, Pike who has been nothing but a huge upgrade, and who else?

Outside of Ash, his track record of hires to date has been very solid.

I'll make a determination on the hire and length of time after it is made and announced.

No info but I am guessing after the Ash hire, he's taking more time to vet and interview candidates than maybe he otherwise would have.

So far he's hired the softball coach who has been very good immediately, men's soccer, we will see, Ash of course who looks to be a flame out, Pike who has been nothing but a huge upgrade, and who else?

New rowing coach has been a miracle worker.

Reactions: RUTrack94 and LC-88

Tennis, crew, and golf hires have turned programs around as well. I believe all 3 of those are Hobbs'.

I have a theory that we aren't naming any new HCs until on 7/1 or later, in the new fiscal year. 2 more weeks wont make a difference and in Year 6 of B1G payouts can offer more money to a baseball or women's lax coach.

Not the worse "theory" to be honest. Good thinking. The ONLY issue with it is from a recruiting aspect.

Reactions: bigmatt718
How do we always stray so far from the original topic which is we still don't have a new women's head lacrosse coach and it has been 6 weeks

How come you always complain the most?

(sorry, I really am, but that was too easy buddy...[cheers])

I have a theory that we aren't naming any new HCs until on 7/1 or later, in the new fiscal year. 2 more weeks wont make a difference and in Year 6 of B1G payouts can offer more money to a baseball or women's lax coach.

I agree this is possible. This would mean that there would be no additional salary expenses added to the current fiscal year.

Well the new head coach is Melissa Lehman from Penn that is not a home run to me but we have no choice but to give her a chance

Well the new head coach is Melissa Lehman from Penn that is not a home run to me but we have no choice but to give her a chance
Penn made the Dance 13 years in a row. This hire reminds me of Price for Women's Crew. Take a hard look at crew if you want a team that was dead for years and became a beast overnight here.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeavenUniv.
She has the 5th longest streak of NCAA tournament appearances (13 years) and produced all americans. Sounds like at least an in-the-park homerun (ie, from NJ). Not sure what you were expecting.

Great resume on paper and a good hire. I just hope she can transition well to head coach and recruit. Not all great assistants make great head coaches, I'm thinking Ash for one, who I thought was a great hire at the time.

Great resume on paper and a good hire. I just hope she can transition well to head coach and recruit. Not all great assistants make great head coaches, I'm thinking Ash for one, who I thought was a great hire at the time.

I'll wait for @Caliknight to chime in HOWEVER there are 50+ less D1 schools in women's lax, than the FBS, and a helluva'lot few coaches to go around. The fact that she's been coaching in Philly, and a part of NJ (Shore Regional) - IIRC - known for its women's lacrosse programs, well, sure as hell can't hurt.

Just got in contact with a friend of Mine who is a girls lacrosse coach here in N.J. and he loves this hire, the fact that she is already on the recruiting g trail will certainly help all this does is expand the pool of players she can contact
Everyone loves the hire and she can turn this around within a coupe of years as there is talent on the team it just wasn't being coached to its full potential very exciting if we can turn this around!!

Everyone loves the hire and she can turn this around within a coupe of years as there is talent on the team it just wasn't being coached to its full potential very exciting if we can turn this around!!
I agree that the talent was not being maximized and I had heard through several sources that the past coach did not embrace aspects of her job with as much passion as you might expect from a division 1 coach and that those traits were well known amongst the women's lacrosse community

I agree that the talent was not being maximized and I had heard through several sources that the past coach did not embrace aspects of her job with as much passion as you might expect from a division 1 coach and that those traits were well known amongst the women's lacrosse community
Unfortunately it was this way for along time but that is water under the bridge lets hope this coach can do the same as the men's coach and bring us up to national prominence. The good thing in womens' is it can be done pretty quickly!!

ADVERTISEMENT