ADVERTISEMENT

W. Lax HC?

Jim_from_RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Yikes, this is taking a long time. Is it a lack of interest or just doing our due diligence? Anyone have the 411?

Lets hope we are close and lets hope we get it right!! Like men's there is so much talent in New Jersey LOng Island etc. that the turn around can be very quick!!

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I think now we are getting to the point where he has to name a coach very very soon as club tournament season starts now and that is where the coaches do most of their recruiting as far as watching players.

I mean I know it took them way to many years to fire Brand but this is getting beyond ridiculous for a new coach hiring; This better be beyond a home run hiring

I mean I know it took them way to many years to fire Brand but this is getting beyond ridiculous for a new coach hiring; This better be beyond a home run hiring
Pretty sure Hobbs didnt hire Justin Price within a week. Calm down, have a drink. You realize he fired the baseball coach and women's track coach as well? Hiring 3 coaches takes longer than hiring 1 coach.

...; This better be beyond a home run hiring

tenor.gif

I’ll never understand the, “this is taking a long time” viewpoint.

It was 5-weeks ago that Laura Brand-Sias stepped down. While I am sure you may think that any AD worth their salt will have candidates in the hopper – a list –ready the second that a coach is axed or quits, but that’s just never going to be the case outside of maybe FB and MBB. Perhaps begin by disabusing yourself of this notion. Sure, there may be instances where that happens, but it’s rare across college sports. Second, while a look in to what was really failing the program was certainly done in advance, an autopsy needs to occur. This entails speaking to a lot of people from within the program – current and former. You will get vastly different information form current and former players once the coach is gone because those that didn’t have an ax to grind will be more forthcoming now that they won’t feel bad in saying something that could harm somebody they cared about (human nature). It’s not like they all respond to the first overture, as they all have lives, jobs, families, obligations and varying levels of interest in being involved. You canvass, listen, assess, and then act. Given that you want to build a winner, you will want to get on the radar screen of the coaches – head and assistants – of teams who are playing deep in to May. The NCAA’s ended two and a half weeks ago. Ain’t nothing being done in the week after Memorial Day on the east coast. You schedule calls, in-persons, then in-persons with your committee (it’s higher ed; there’s committees for assembling committees), meet the leaders of the current team (who are all not in school and might be out of pocket, interning, summer stuff).

Considering there are a high number of coaching searches that have been going on at RU, along with other stuff that Hobbs and Co. need to be focused on, this all plays out at a pace that is less than instantaneous.

Sometimes you just have to consider the source my friend. Typically they are alumni, who hold our athletic programs close to their heart, but tend to be a tad over-the-top with stuff like this. I get it, given the history of our athletic department, but people should have faith in Hobbs by now (aside from Ash, rushed hire).

It was 5-weeks ago that Laura Brand-Sias stepped down. While I am sure you may think that any AD worth their salt will have candidates in the hopper – a list –ready the second that a coach is axed or quits, but that’s just never going to be the case outside of maybe FB and MBB. Perhaps begin by disabusing yourself of this notion. Sure, there may be instances where that happens, but it’s rare across college sports. Second, while a look in to what was really failing the program was certainly done in advance, an autopsy needs to occur. This entails speaking to a lot of people from within the program – current and former. You will get vastly different information form current and former players once the coach is gone because those that didn’t have an ax to grind will be more forthcoming now that they won’t feel bad in saying something that could harm somebody they cared about (human nature).

We’ve already seen the “ax to grind” scenario come to play with the original NJ.com article about baseball. Thankfully the most recent one, featuring Todd Frazier, had a much more “positive” spin to things

Reactions: rags
We’ve already seen the “ax to grind” scenario come to play with the original NJ.com article about baseball. Thankfully the most recent one, featuring Todd Frazier, had a much more “positive” spin to things

Glad you pointed out the Frazier interview. That was such a treat to read, not only for his sentiments but the fact that such a message was even out there for public consumption. It seems that too many people gloss over the fact that coaches are, in fact, people and when they get fired, it sucks for them and the people around them. That’s not to say that people should not be fired, but there is a human element to these things that is lost in the public eye.

The ax-grinders are helpful, as they can often be the canary in the coalmine. However, they are just one side of the story and very often lack solutions. They certainly lack dispassionate solutions more often than not.

Anyone who wants it to play out faster could donate millions of dollars to woo a Maryland's coach.

No, it’s not “beyond ridiculous.” Dear Lord.

Why should we be concerned about the current club tournament season? Although NJ is rich with talent, this program needs a significant overhaul.

I long what softball did this season but to expect that type of turnaround with all the new hires isn’t fair. Not to mention the fact that she brought some nice talent with her when she took the gig.

That is an insane amount/ time to be offering on a very minor sport. I am pro lacrosse and for paying up for a good coach but that is not consistent with other compensation. Navy overall sports has been tending down last few years. Would think they have a budget just like everyone else. May need to up money for a new Football Coach, he is still safe now based on prior great record, but if he doesn't have a winning season or beat Army in next couple years he is done.

That is an insane amount/ time to be offering on a very minor sport. I am pro lacrosse and for paying up for a good coach but that is not consistent with other compensation. Navy overall sports has been tending down last few years. Would think they have a budget just like everyone else. May need to up money for a new Football Coach, he is still safe now based on prior great record, but if he doesn't have a winning season or beat Army in next couple years he is done.
I thought the same thing regarding the $.

I know we are talking men's salaries, But I looked up Michigan head coach his base salary is 190 k and Maryland, probably the best program in the country, head coach base salary was 275 k In 2017. That's with Big Ten money, the most profitable conference in country.

I know we are talking men's salaries, But I looked up Michigan head coach his base salary is 190 k and Maryland, probably the best program in the country, head coach base salary was 275 k In 2017. That's with Big Ten money, the most profitable conference in country.

Check the Penn St. coach's salary.

I seem to remember 900k, and they are getting a good return. I think Brecht is around 200K, actually a much better return on investment, although some here would disagree.

Although it's still steep, that IS 350k per year, not $3.5 mil.

Reactions: rufamily
I know, that would be football money but $350 K is approx double the average and at Navy for 10 years no less. Again MD is paying 275 k. Navy probably brings in less than 10 million a year for the entire Athletics unlike ACC or Big Ten at 40 to 50 million range.

Wow, this is taking a long time. I guess no one has been very good in interviews. Sorry, I just had too. I want Coach Ash in football and Coach Jane Smith to do well in lacrosse at RU. Go Rutgers !!!!!!!

I find it hard to believe that anyone is getting about 3-4x what the rest of coaches in the nation are being paid OR the Navy story BUT you never know!!

If true, that is crazy low. I'd think it be easily worth more than $10 million for the one game. The game sometimes gets more than a 5.0 rating.

I did a quick search and the financial details of the tv rights agreement don't appear to be disclosed anywhere. Anyway, the ratings are comparable to the Big Ten football CG. If they are getting less than $20 million total per year ($10 million per school), then seems they are being underpaid.

I don't think they are getting anything near that. Found that conference just signed a new ESPN TV deal recently for a lot more per team but Navy gets much less as being a football only member, the Army Navy game is broadcast by CBS, The home games are by CBSS and the Notre Dame game played on a neutral site is every other year but is part of ESPN deal. Talk about confusing.

Maybe that rumor is wrong, top 25 salaries for officers/ non officers in 2018 and he is not listed.

https://www.centredaily.com/news/local/education/penn-state/article214559180.html

I am guessing there are some non state allocated funds for his comp. It was a big deal, salary wise, when he left Cornell who had just come off of a national championship game appearance. Cornell has some pretty deep pockets of their own and he's an upstate guy. That was no easy get.

I don't think they are getting anything near that. Found that conference just signed a new ESPN TV deal recently for a lot more per team but Navy gets much less as being a football only member, the Army Navy game is broadcast by CBS, The home games are by CBSS and the Notre Dame game played on a neutral site is every other year but is part of ESPN deal. Talk about confusing.

Like I said, I couldn't find the number. I also don't have an understanding of how their revenue (especially from that game) is distributed with the conference, if at all. I'm just saying it's a very valuable game, and just came under contract again in the past couple of years. I'm actually a little surprised that a number is hard to find on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT