ADVERTISEMENT

Watch Party Bars this year?

RUtix4me

All American
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2015
I am hoping to see a game or two in Hoboken this year. Is last year’s place the Tally Ho going to be the place again?

Reactions: keav8447
What: Scarlet Knight Football: RU V. Texas State

Where: Philly’s Ahwatukee 4855 Warner Rd. Phoenix AZ 85044

When: Saturday, September 1st, 2018. 9 a.m. AZ time
www.Phillyssportsgrill.com

We (@AreYouNUTS and I) areworking on setting up the Hoboken game day watch parties . Have two bars very interested and eager in hosting us. Depending on turnouts we may end up doing it at both as each bar has a different atmosphere and cliential.

More details to come soon including the drink specials , hosting details . Advertising, etc.
Just do one and get it packed imo

Looks like he is in AZ, not sure I would fly back for that game either.
Posted venue in AZ so those who live in AZ know there's a place to watch Scarlet Knights games with other RU fans.
EDIT: Hope someone from each state puts up where Rutgers fans can watch RU games with other RU fans.

Any Dallas area watch parties? Know we have a couple of fellow Texans or transplants on the board.

TIA

Reactions: RUShea
Just do one and get it packed imo

COMPLETELY different types of venues which are likely to attract 2 very different crowds. Tally-Ho will still be very much a part of the action but, in the end, it’s not for everyone.

In 2006 the night of the WVU game Bars around the path station, up and down Washington Street, and on first Street, were overflowing with RU fans. Start to win again in this conference,, go to a couple bowls, and marketed right we can pack multiple bars for almost every road game.

I have ZERO problem with a 2nd bar wanting to host a party. Thanks.

Reactions: patk89
COMPLETELY different types of venues which are likely to attract 2 very different crowds. Tally-Ho will still be very much a part of the action but, in the end, it’s not for everyone.

In 2006 the night of the WVU game Bars around the path station, up and down Washington Street, and on first Street, were overflowing with RU fans. Start to win again in this conference,, go to a couple bowls, and marketed right we can pack multiple bars for almost every road game.

I have ZERO problem with a 2nd bar wanting to host a party. Thanks.
Correct me if im wrong but tally-ho wasnt even that packed last year so what makes you think 2 bars would be necessary?

Posted venue in AZ so those who live in AZ know there's a place to watch Scarlet Knights games with other RU fans.
EDIT: Hope someone from each state puts up where Rutgers fans can watch RU games with other RU fans.
This is a great idea.

picard.gif

Anyone know of good northern Virginia spots? Moving to Arlington end of August

Correct me if im wrong but tally-ho wasnt even that packed last year so what makes you think 2 bars would be necessary?

Actually it was mobbed for at least 1 game and fairly crowded for 2 others BUT there are factors like game times and oh I don't know like, we SUCKED for a few years (thanks, again, Kyle Flood), among other things at Tally (lack of tables, no food, etc...). There are also a lot of GREAT reasons to continue the party there - which we will - as I'm sure you're aware.

That being said I've managed to throw one of the best "viewing parties" around for over a decade, and have SK2008 running the show with me now, and likely taking over complete soon (as he's younger, with better connections than I have these days, and a bigger "young alumni" network than I have for sure lol), so trust me on this one when I tell you - AGAIN - that the 2 bars area NOTHING ALIKE and will be shooting to bring in 2 COMPLETELY different crowds. If it doesn't work, so be it, but better having flags flying in multiple places on game day, than not, don't ya' think? [cheers]

This is done on the RUAA website and in emails that go out from the RUAA.

Actually it was mobbed for at least 1 game and fairly crowded for 2 others BUT there are factors like game times and oh I don't know like, we SUCKED for a few years (thanks, again, Kyle Flood), among other things at Tally (lack of tables, no food, etc...). There are also a lot of GREAT reasons to continue the party there - which we will - as I'm sure you're aware.

That being said I've managed to throw one of the best "viewing parties" around for over a decade, and have SK2008 running the show with me now, and likely taking over complete soon (as he's younger, with better connections than I have these days, and a bigger "young alumni" network than I have for sure lol), so trust me on this one when I tell you - AGAIN - that the 2 bars area NOTHING ALIKE and will be shooting to bring in 2 COMPLETELY different crowds. If it doesn't work, so be it, but better having flags flying in multiple places on game day, than not, don't ya' think? [cheers]
"If it doesn't work, so be it,"
Reminds me of the old saying :
It's better to have tried and failed ,then not to have tried at all.
Kudos Nuts for the effort you're making now and over the years setting up watch parties. :clap:[thumb2]

Reactions: Local Shill
This is done on the RUAA website and in emails that go out from the RUAA.
Just trying to make sure Rutgers fans in Arizona know where to go and maybe others in other states can make sure fans in their states get an extra reminder.
I've noticed over the years (on this board) how at times where to watch RU games ( insert state ) was asked on this board.

Last edited:
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
"If it doesn't work, so be it,"
Reminds me of the old saying :
It's better to have tried and failed ,then not to have tried at all.
Kudos Nuts for the effort you're making now and over the years setting up watch parties. :clap:[thumb2]

"Give The People What They Want" my friend...sometimes it makes sense lol!!!

Nuts had a good run as RU party coordinator for the last 10 years or more. Looks like it’s time for a changing of the guard as ScarletKid2008 takes the reins and improves the game day watch parties we’ve had in the past. A tip of the cap to the outgoing Nuts and lets give our full support in the future to ScarletKid2008.

Just trying to make sure Rutgers fans in Arizona know where to go and maybe others in other states can make sure fans in their states get an extra reminder.
I've noticed over the years (on this board) how at times where to watch RU games ( insert state ) was asked on this board.

Zowie lives.

Reactions: Local Shill
was there last year for the osu game, there were like two people in the whole place? is that the normal game day crowd there?

Anyone know of good northern Virginia spots? Moving to Arlington end of August
The DC Rutgers Club generally holds game watch events. The last several years have been at Maddy's Tavern in DC, easily reachable by Metro from Arlington. Check the Rutgers Club Facebook page.

Reactions: gflip01
Bump for watch parties in different areas of the country.

Anyone in the Dallas area?

Appreciate it Tango. Weird there is no active Rutgers club in the Dallas Area.

There has been some Dallas presence over the years. I recall they coordinated an happy hour type gathering on the Friday night before the SMU game back in Oct. 2013 for local alumni as well as folks traveling in for that game. Anyway, that was five years ago so obviously doesn't help with this upcoming season.

One problem for the out of state game watches tends to be, for any major city/metro, getting a relatively decent sized group together has its challenges because it might not end up being as close to some as it is to others so the pool being drawn from suffers attrition due simply to relative location/convenience. If the chosen venue is say an hour travel time away for some, they likely drop out...hard to blame them when folks have constraints on their time as it is. This happens even if the venue is as central (downtown/heart of city) as possible, because that's still too far for many suburbanites, or there's too much traffic, parking is difficult, few or no transit options, not that easy to get to, etc. There's always some excuse (legit in some cases) related to inconvenience. Becomes very difficult to build a critical mass when as few as 4-5 people show up.

At the end of the day, we say it for a lot of things, but winning helps. Not surprising to see why that works...when it's the same inconveniences many people are then suddenly willing to put up with, if they feel they're part of a collective experience, sharing something bigger, and celebrating success with other fans (high fives, singing the fight song after a TD, etc). Watching from the convenience of home with creature comforts is nice and all (and still a preferred alternative for some), but can get boring unless you are hosting people to share the experience, especially the bigger the game is. Win more, play more UL or WVU '06 type games (i.e. be ranked), the hype builds, and more fans will come out of the woodwork to attend game-watch parties all over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT