ADVERTISEMENT

Watts decommits...

580.gif

You might be right.

But I'm comfortable suggesting that the ones who will win Rose Bowls are on my side of the continuum.

Henry Rutgers might as well be Henry Ford to a 4 star middle linebacker that can stay on the field for 3 downs and wants to play on Sunday. They just don't care.

- the ones who are driven & will really lead RU to winning championships will not be just all brawn - but they "get it" - they are driven - they know where they are coming from and have a strong sense of of the things they need to do to succeed - and they - in no way will be the kind that falls for the 'don't worry, don't study , you will make it big in the NFL and never have to work again - con' - they may not know who Henry Rutgers is - but they see the big picture - they see beyond Taco Tuesday / Dr. Pepper in the cafeteria - they may not wear their insight on their sleeve - but they will be the ones who know what courses they need to graduate - they know what majors they want to consider - they will be the ones who are on track to graduate in 4 (or less) years. There will be the ones who will take some of their teammates under their wing and say - you have to hunker down in the classroom & on the field - they will sit down with other teammates who are beginning to 'get it' - and show them how. Brian Leonard was one of these who "got it".... and this trait is a large part of what keeps Bill Belichick collecting Rutgers players. This is the frame of mind that enabled Deshaun Watson to make sure that he had the proper path laid out to graduate in 3 years - and to aggressively follow it.

Yes, you need talented and colossally strong athletes - but to get to the very top - the team has to have a bunch of very good 'big picture' brains.

Reactions: KevH
- the ones who are driven & will really lead RU to winning championships will not be just all brawn - but they "get it" - they are driven - they know where they are coming from and have a strong sense of of the things they need to do to succeed - and they - in no way will be the kind that falls for the 'don't worry, don't study , you will make it big in the NFL and never have to work again - con' - they may not know who Henry Rutgers is - but they see the big picture - they see beyond Taco Tuesday / Dr. Pepper in the cafeteria - they may not wear their insight on their sleeve - but they will be the ones who know what courses they need to graduate - they know what majors they want to consider - they will be the ones who are on track to graduate in 4 (or less) years. There will be the ones who will take some of their teammates under their wing and say - you have to hunker down in the classroom & on the field - they will sit down with other teammates who are beginning to 'get it' - and show them how. Brian Leonard was one of these who "got it".... and this trait is a large part of what keeps Bill Belichick collecting Rutgers players. This is the frame of mind that enabled Deshaun Watson to make sure that he had the proper path laid out to graduate in 3 years - and to aggressively follow it.

Yes, you need talented and colossally strong athletes - but to get to the very top - the team has to have a bunch of very good 'big picture' brains.

Those were Schiano players. Not the Flood guys we have now. Brian Leonard is 500x better than any player on our roster.

Reactions: colbert17

How many guys at Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State or USC are "big picture" guys? 5? 10?

There are 100 guys in a lockerroom.

And for every DeShaun Watson or Minkah Fitzpatrick, there are 35 guys that are more impressed by the Fireman pole that Clemson installed in their new football facility.

If you think you're going to amass a collection of guys that are Brian Leonard types--NFL ability and Dean's List in the classroom--and are going to win in the B10, you're chasing something that doesn't exist.

Sure, you'll get some that get what "Rutgers" is. But not anywhere near the proportions that we, as alums and fans, bemoan when guys decommit.

Reactions: RUwoz and madchuck
Those were Schiano players. Not the Flood guys we have now. Brian Leonard is 500x better than any player on our roster.
- you entirely missed the point - the context was generic 'kinds' of players (not whether they were Schiano players or Flood players) - and going forward - what kind of players make for the achievement of the team's long term goals
& also it related to what kind of players have an appreciation for the institution that they may be committing to (and may stay committed because they thought it through) - vs the kinds of players who simply commit to "college" (pick a college - any college as long as you get visibility) as a path to the NFL

- you entirely missed the point - the context was generic 'kinds' of players (not whether they were Schiano players or Flood players) - and going forward - what kind of players make for the achievement of the team's long term goals
& also it related to what kind of players have an appreciation for the institution that they may be committing to (and may stay committed because they thought it through) - vs the kinds of players who simply commit to "college" (pick a college - any college as long as you get visibility) as a path to the NFL

As you step up in class, you are much less likely to compete with the types of players you are talking about.

For everything that is written about "Rutgers Men" under Schiano, the trophy case is pretty bare. That is not meant to denigrate what he started with or what he accomplished. it just is.

This is a debate that is as old as this board. Can you win with guys who get it? History suggests no. History suggests you need way more Kenny Britts and Anthony Davis', than Renkharts

How many guys at Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State or USC are "big picture" guys? 5? 10?

There are 100 guys in a lockerroom.

And for every DeShaun Watson or Minkah Fitzpatrick, there are 35 guys that are more impressed by the Fireman pole that Clemson installed in their new football facility.

If you think you're going to amass a collection of guys that are Brian Leonard types--NFL ability and Dean's List in the classroom--and are going to win in the B10, you're chasing something that doesn't exist.

Sure, you'll get some that get what "Rutgers" is. But not anywhere near the proportions that we, as alums and fans, bemoan when guys decommit.

Note - was not saying that the team need to 100% uniquely well grounded but a substantial % have to be - this game has so many moving parts - an only a portion of the critical aspects are on the field elements - IF there is a year where out of 100 guys in a lockerroom. at Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State or USC there are only 5 guys who really "get it" and can think steps ahead and can see beyond the superficial - that will be a year where they struggle.

Whether he recruited them - or inherited them - a part of Flood's downward spiral was fueled by knuckleheads who did not 'get it' - some eventually may have wised up - but there is a risk factor with genuinely clueless characters.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Note - was not saying that the team need to 100% uniquely well grounded but a substantial % have to be - this game has so many moving parts - an only a portion of the critical aspects are on the field elements - IF there is a year where out of 100 guys in a lockerroom. at Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State or USC there are only 5 guys who really "get it" and can think steps ahead and can see beyond the superficial - that will be a year where they struggle.

Whether he recruited them - or inherited them - a part of Flood's downward spiral was fueled by knuckleheads who did not 'get it' - some eventually may have wised up - but there is a risk factor with genuinely clueless characters.

I profoundly disagree.

Floods knucklheads didn't get it and the rest of the talent on the team stunk.

When Alabama has a knucklhead, he has three 5 star replacements behind him on the depth chart.

Guys need to buy into the coach and the program. But that is absolutely different than "getting" what Ohio State University will do for them in the long run.

Kareem Walker, Gary, Peppers and Beatty didn't go to Michigan to become "Michigan men." They went there because of the exposure, superior coaching, superior facilities and the ability to be challenged by great players in practice every day.

At the highest levels, depth of talent and superior coaching wins out over understanding the long term value of the university.

In the Clemson-Bama game there were no fewer than 12 first rounders on the field. That is why they played in back to back title games. Not because Minkah Fitzpatrick appreciates the value of a Alabama education (which he may, because he is as good a guy as you'll find...but you get the point I'm making.)

Reactions: madchuck

I was just thinking about how, as time goes on, we're seeing just how special that group of upperclassmen was in 2005-2006. We knew they were special , but now we're seeing how extraordinary they really were, on a number of levels . We haven't seen that level and degree of upperclassmen leadership since then... no offense to others who came after them. Those years were just loaded with ballers AND jr/Sr leaders.

As you step up in class, you are much less likely to compete with the types of players you are talking about.

For everything that is written about "Rutgers Men" under Schiano, the trophy case is pretty bare. That is not meant to denigrate what he started with or what he accomplished. it just is.

This is a debate that is as old as this board. Can you win with guys who get it? History suggests no. History suggests you need way more Kenny Britts and Anthony Davis', than Renkharts
Talking about the trophy case being bare, how in the world did GS not win more with the roster he had?

Some disprectful posts in this thread. Let's be honest, any of the 2017 recruits with big time offers deserve a medal for staying with ash. Look at what has happened with watts since his commitment. A nationally embarrasssing 2-10 season, a 78-0 loss, the offensive coordinator leaves the day after his official visit and now his main recruiter leaves 2 weeks before signing day. These kids get one shot at a college career, it's a damn big risk to come to RU at this point. Say what you want about the honor of a commitment, but I just refuse to blame someone with so much talent for choosing Virginia tech after the events that unfurled over 2016.

Reactions: 17Q66
Some disprectful posts in this thread. Let's be honest, any of the 2017 recruits with big time offers deserve a medal for staying with ash. Look at what has happened with watts since his commitment. A nationally embarrasssing 2-10 season, a 78-0 loss, the offensive coordinator leaves the day after his official visit and now his main recruiter leaves 2 weeks before signing day. These kids get one shot at a college career, it's a damn big risk to come to RU at this point. Say what you want about the honor of a commitment, but I just refuse to blame someone with so much talent for choosing Virginia tech after the events that unfurled over 2016.

Where was VT when this kid was injured last year?

Joe P.

For some reason..maybe my age I don't see VPI as our equal as beautiful as that area is...here you're in a major spotlight for better or worse !!

Reactions: RutgersMO
For some reason..maybe my age I don't see VPI as our equal as beautiful as that area is...here you're in a major spotlight for better or worse !!

There's certainly a lot more going on up here, but va tech is #1 in south/southwest Virginia, Rutgers football is about #13 in New Jersey. Game day atmosphere doesn't come close. Not to mention their first year coach won the division.

Virginia Tech is a great school with strong traditions, both academically and athletically.

Reactions: 17Q66
There's certainly a lot more going on up here, but va tech is #1 in south/southwest Virginia, Rutgers football is about #13 in New Jersey. Game day atmosphere doesn't come close. Not to mention their first year coach won the division.

That's all well and good; where were they when the kid was hurt? Was the pole 100 feet long or 300 feet long that they wouldn't touch him with?

Joe P.

It's a miracle Ash has the current class that he does. You all are acting like this was a given. That's not the case.

Reactions: RUpop and RU2055
Until they were in the BE and got Beamer I didn't think they played major D1 FB? Like I said...I've been waiting and following Burns,Kroll and RU a long time...maybe 62? Were bound to find the juice we had going for awhile sooner or later?? I remember when Cuse had more juice in the old days until GRob...I find their FB incredibly boring..I'm talking VPI..

... and the only reason he came here was because Pasqualoni wouldn't honor Nate's scholarship.

When you start referring to our student-athletes as "Flood guys," you forget about the fact that they're all Scarlet Knights, and the ones who are here are the ones who -- unlike Blacknall or Hilliman or Barkley -- honored their commitments to Rutgers. Let's not disparage them in the same breath.

Classless to hold a spot for so long and decommit two weeks before signing day. Ash should have better control of his staff. Almost everyone was given a big step up from their previous jobs and Ash should have gotten commitments (that word again) that they stay a minimum of two years regardless of offers, unless it was mutual like I assume with the OC.

I'll be very happy if our recruiting class rank finishes below 50. Then we need to win at least 4 games next year, which should be doable with Kill in charge of the offense.

Classless to hold a spot for so long and decommit two weeks before signing day. Ash should have better control of his staff. Almost everyone was given a big step up from their previous jobs and Ash should have gotten commitments (that word again) that they stay a minimum of two years regardless of offers, unless it was mutual like I assume with the OC.

I'll be very happy if our recruiting class rank finishes below 50. Then we need to win at least 4 games next year, which should be doable with Kill in charge of the offense.
I've been all RU for over 50 yrs but this sheet is turning me off of any CFB...I'm sick of the lack of pride and spirit of our admins and Jersey guys claiming their repping somewhere else...maybe wrestling the ticket? This gets really tiresome...will I live long enough to see an institutional commitment? Who knows..2 more yrs or bust.....Why not just hold a draft or let the same 25 or so teams fight it out for the few can't miss guys and call it semi pro football...make the rest earn it by actually being student athletes...this is getting disgusting..Go to Bama or OSU...no one will give a shit for their prideless uneducated for the most part behinds !!!

Last edited:
Sorry for the rant but CFB is making me sick with this song and dance routine by guys like freaking Franklin and kids buying the BS...let's even the dang playing field or buy a Urban Meyer or Harbaugh type and get it on or get along with our business....selling our souls for fickle kids is crazy..

This is how CFB works now, they have an open spot he trades up. Ash will look for solid talent that is already committed and someone will trade up to Rutgers..its just the way it is.

Reactions: RUpop
I've been all RU for over 50 yrs but this sheet is turning me off of any CFB...I'm sick of the lack of pride and spirit of our admins and Jersey guys claiming their repping somewhere else...maybe wrestling the ticket? This gets really tiresome...will I live long enough to see an institutional commitment? Who knows..2 more yrs or bust.....Why not just hold a draft or let the same 25 or so teams fight it out for the few can't miss guys and call it semi pro football...make the rest earn it by actually being student athletes...this is getting disgusting..Go to Bama or OSU...no one will give a shit for their prideless uneducated for the most part behinds !!!
While I love college football. It's getting sort of ridiculous when over half of all 5 star commits are going to 1 of 2 or 3 schools. Now more than ever the rich get richer and those with less money simply cannot keep up or compete. College football is way too top heavy. There are a handful of college programs who have more elaborate and better facilities than professional franchises. Coaches are paid more too.

Interesting, VT gets a commit from a 4* CB today. So is it us vs BC or does VT have more CB slots to fill?

Huh???

... and the only reason he came here was because Pasqualoni wouldn't honor Nate's scholarship.

When you start referring to our student-athletes as "Flood guys," you forget about the fact that they're all Scarlet Knights, and the ones who are here are the ones who -- unlike Blacknall or Hilliman or Barkley -- honored their commitments to Rutgers. Let's not disparage them in the same breath.

I understand that. We should commend the kids that stay instead of disparaging the kids who don't. No offense but Saquon Barkley made the best decision of his life by not coming here.

Reactions: zwicker
Sorry for the rant but CFB is making me sick with this song and dance routine by guys like freaking Franklin and kids buying the BS...let's even the dang playing field or buy a Urban Meyer or Harbaugh type and get it on or get along with our business....selling our souls for fickle kids is crazy..
Even if we have the money, those coaches will not come here. Unless it's your last job before retirement, money is never the only factor.

This is how CFB works now, they have an open spot he trades up. Ash will look for solid talent that is already committed and someone will trade up to Rutgers..its just the way it is.
ACC to me isn't trading up outside FSU possibly...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT