ADVERTISEMENT

We come in ranked # 22 as of November 21st - We have Time to Move Up

bluemountain1967

Sophomore
Feb 8, 2020
The team comes in at # 22. We have a lot of work to do to move up in the rankings. We have time to turn it around.

125 - Peterson is well positioned at # 7 at a weight that is wide-open. Circle the Purdue match on January 14th when he is scheduled to face Ramos. Dean could finish anywhere from # 1 to the blood round.

133 - Shawver's loss to a freshman from West Point does give him much room for error. He dropped from # 18 to # 28. Hopefully, he goes to the Midlands, performs well, and beats Colaiocco of Penn when they meet on January 6th.

141 Moore remains at # 18. He will need to diversify his attacks as his headlock is well known. Like Shawver he needs a good Midlands and a victory over # 13 Composto of Penn.

149 Not sure what happened to #30 Butler at West Point. He was ridden for about 5 minutes and then defaulted. If he was hurt, hope he recovers soon. His match against Kinner of Rider should be telling.

157 Looking forward to seeing Clark #18 healthy and returning to the mats. He likely will not be challenged until we enter the Big Ten schedule. Let's hope he competes at the Midlands.

165 White has wrestled like the # 27 wrestler that he is. The Big Ten schedule gives him a chance to move up.

174 For four years we have gotten to know # 24 Jackson Turley. Often the good Turley doesn't appear until February. Hopefully, he turns it around sooner as his current ranking will not position him for a good seed at the national tournament.

184 Soldano went from #7 to #17 in the rankings. The issue is clear. The question is can Goodale successfully work with him to implement college wrestling skills. The kid is exciting and talented.

197 Poz at # 13 is right where he belongs. A victory over Stout of Princeton will likely move him into the top 10. Then the Midlands can move him into the top 8 . Opportunities exist for Poz.

UNL Yara at #7 looks good and well positioned to All American. He just needs to remain consistent and AA honors are there for the taking.

The team's #22 tournament ranking is not good and is below expectations.

Hopefully, all our starters go to the Midlands. It will help them adjust to the new weigh-in rules and compete agains some top kids.

We have time to turn around are slow start.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I believe the NWCA coaches poll is a dual meet ranking. The national wrestling community and the NCAA considers the results at the national tournament as the standard and is how teams are evaluated. Let's compare ourselves to the industry standard while being proud that we are a good dual meet team.

Last edited:
NC State at #2 ? Something doesn’t feel right about that are they that good don’t think they ever been ranked 2 before
Dont think they have been #2, but they are loaded and have dual meets against Ohio State, Ok State and Cornell so they will be tested. Everyone ranked but 165(and he pretty tough).

Reactions: KidDagger
Tournament rankings and team scores will always be dumb

It’s a dual meet season, and an individual tournament. Using team standings in an individual tournament will never make any sense to me

The team comes in at # 22. We have a lot of work to do to move up in the rankings. We have time to turn it around.

125 - Peterson is well positioned at # 7 at a weight that is wide-open. Circle the Purdue match on January 14th when he is scheduled to face Ramos. Dean could finish anywhere from # 1 to the blood round.

133 - Shawver's loss to a freshman from West Point does give him much room for error. He dropped from # 18 to # 28. Hopefully, he goes to the Midlands, performs well, and beats Colaiocco of Penn when they meet on January 6th.

141 Moore remains at # 18. He will need to diversify his attacks as his headlock is well known. Like Shawver he needs a good Midlands and a victory over # 13 Composto of Penn.

149 Not sure what happened to #30 Butler at West Point. He was ridden for about 5 minutes and then defaulted. If he was hurt, hope he recovers soon. His match against Kinner of Rider should be telling.

157 Looking forward to seeing Clark #18 healthy and returning to the mats. He likely will not be challenged until we enter the Big Ten schedule. Let's hope he competes at the Midlands.

165 White has wrestled like the # 27 wrestler that he is. The Big Ten schedule gives him a chance to move up.

174 For four years we have gotten to know # 24 Jackson Turley. Often the good Turley doesn't appear until February. Hopefully, he turns it around sooner as his current ranking will not position him for a good seed at the national tournament.

184 Soldano went from #7 to #17 in the rankings. The issue is clear. The question is can Goodale successfully work with him to implement college wrestling skills. The kid is exciting and talented.

197 Poz at # 13 is right where he belongs. A victory over Stout of Princeton will likely move him into the top 10. Then the Midlands can move him into the top 8 . Opportunities exist for Poz.

UNL Yara at #7 looks good and well positioned to All American. He just needs to remain consistent and AA honors are there for the taking.

The team's #22 tournament ranking is not good and is below expectations.

Hopefully, all our starters go to the Midlands. It will help them adjust to the new weigh-in rules and compete agains some top kids.

We have time to turn around are slow start.
Blue: You've done some good work on this and an earlier post. Thank you. Which ranking source are you using? We should all settle on one.

My measure to assess the program's success in developing wrestlers has been the year-over-year improvement of each kid. The only objective measure I can find is their win/lose records. Another measure could be the ranking movement from the beginning of the year to the final rankings. I have a copy of a pre-season ranking and an early ranking to use for that purpose. I will find it very interesting to follow the movement in the rankings. Already, we've seen some dramatic movement.

Perterson's win against Ventresca is encouraging. Up one in ranking.

Shawver was one of the litmus test guys and I thought he might have passed that test with his strong performance against VT. His tournament performance, not so much. Down three in ranking.

You hit the nail on the head with Moore. He won't have much a chance of AA unless he becomes a more rounded wrestler. He certainly has the strength for it. Down one in ranking.

I think Butler is wrestling to expectations. Down six in ranking.

I'm not optimistic about Clark this year. We were told his injury wasn't serious, but he's taking a while to recover. I fear the layoff will make it hard for him at least upon his return. Temper expectations. So far he is holding steady at 23 in the ranking.

White is going to struggle with ranked opponents. Down one in ranking.

Jackson Turley is the best 0-2 wrestler on the team. He'll come along and looks to be in the best early-season condition of his career at Rutgers. Let's hope his style doesn't lead to another shoulder injury. Down one in ranking.

Soldano... He has been a high-potential guy and one where I'll follow his year-over-year development. Someone had speculated that he wanted a pin for much needed extra points in the VT match. That may have been the case, or he was told to go for it. I think he needs to know when to back off and just score points to win the match. He gave up two (or was it three?) takedowns before he abandoned the throw attempts. His opponents will be coached, so his funk is best when not expected. Down three in ranking.

Poz is another to follow his year-over-year improvement. So far, his first year out of high school has been his best. I hope he can compete with the big guys. I look forward to seeing him succeed. Up one in ranking.

Yara-Slav is a solid wrestler. Let's hope for the best. No movement in ranking.

So far in the rankings, two have moved up in ranking a total of two notches. Two have remained the same. Six have moved down a total of 15 notches. This was week over week.

I used Intermat for the rankings.

Blue: You've done some good work on this and an earlier post. Thank you. Which ranking source are you using? We should all settle on one.
Thanks Pessimistically.

I tend to rely on Willie Taylor's rankings (MatScouts) for high school. High school is his expertise, He has done it for many years. I use Flowrestling rankings for college, Flo has a large staff and sees most to the top kids multiple time during the year.

A year ago, Flo did an interesting analysis looking at where the 2022 All Americans were ranked in the year-end Flo high school rankings. 84% of All Americans were in the top 100 Flo rankings. 80% of national champs were ranked in the top 12. 75% of the finalists were ranked in the top 20. The 5 finalists not in the top 20 were: Kizhan Clarke (not ranked in top 100), Ryan Deakin (ranked 97th), Quincy Monday (ranked 40th), Myles Amine (ranked 46th), and Max Dean (ranked 74th).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT