ADVERTISEMENT

We have made Naz Reid's Final 10

It would be amazing, fantastic, wonderful, terrific if by some miracle he came here.
But if anyone has any expectations that he actually will, you're either delusional or have been asleep for 25 years.

I love everything Pike is doing, but we'll have to do a lot more on the court in terms of Ws and Ls before a guy with those kinds of offers has the stones to go completely against the grain and stay home. Can you imagine the astronomical amount of abuse he'd get on Twitter if he actually committed to Rutgers? He's get roasted. RU would get roasted with "suck" "dumpster fire" and all the other smart-ass comments about football and basketball that populate that cesspool.

I'm sure Naz is a fine, young man but with rare exceptions these kids are followers, front-runners who want to play for a brand name and easily influenced by their peers and handlers. It's a fantasy to think RU is going to get him.

You're a dream crusher dude.

It only takes one or two kids to turn a basketball team around over night. Not impossible to think Pike and staff can convince Reid he's the missing piece.

Pike is selling the dream. This is the first step towards making it a reality.

Reactions: Scangg
One thing I never understood is why kids think they have to go to an ELITE school for NCAAB. Maybe in football. But basketball, the scouts already know you, you beat your man, you stop your man, you'll still go. Ben Simmons is the perfect example. Who was watching LSU basketball before or after him?

One thing I never understood is why kids think they have to go to an ELITE school for NCAAB. Maybe in football. But basketball, the scouts already know you, you beat your man, you stop your man, you'll still go. Ben Simmons is the perfect example. Who was watching LSU basketball before or after him?

Solid point. Easier to spot what one kid does on a court of 10 than what one football player does on a field of what,22?

Talent attracts eyes. Markelle F as an example to your point. His team was pretty horrid last year. Still ended up a top five pick.

They figure if the NBA pretty much demands at least one year of college/prep, might as well enjoy it.

To that end, the facilities upgrade couldn't come soon enough...

Gor a kid like Reid, it's wiser to go to a school where opponents won't double team them every time they touch the ball.

Reid is waiting for a Kentucky offer but Kentucky has him as a fifth or sixth option as of right now.

Just a hunch but I think that he will be signing early.

You're a dream crusher dude.

It only takes one or two kids to turn a basketball team around over night. Not impossible to think Pike and staff can convince Reid he's the missing piece.

Pike is selling the dream. This is the first step towards making it a reality.

The history of College Basketball is littered with guys that surprised everyone and selected the underdog school. There is always a chance.

Reactions: RedTeamFan

The one-and-done kills programs like ours recruiting-wise for a couple reasons. First, those programs rarely if ever get a recruit of that caliber. If you are only going to school for 1 year, do you want to go somewhere that you might or might not make the NCAA tournament (see Simmons), or somewhere that you will contend for a title? Years ago, if a guy was going to stay for 3 years, you had time to build up the team around him, so the decision might not be as simple.

Then there is the secondary "drying up" of the recruit trickle-down. With UK, Duke, and a few others embracing the one-and-done, they have more scholarships available every year to take the best players. Instead of having 1 or 2 spots some years, these teams seem to always have 5. More open ships for the elite teams means less chance at quality players for us.

Know a couple of guys that are very involved in his AAU program and really feel that he'll either stay home, and if he does he will go to RU, or end up at Kentucky if they offer.

These guys make fun of me all the time for being a Rutgers fan, but were completely sincere in telling me that they think Rutgers is going to be able to get a groundbreaking 2018 class. Said they are doing a great job with relationships with top NJ kids for 2018 and 2019.

I am involved with AAU and also met Clark Francis at the final four this year. Clark Francis is one of the most respected recruiting gurus out there, the author of hoopscoop online website, one that all colleges subscribe to, and a voter for McDonald's all American. He told me Naz Reid will go down as one of the biggest busts. Think along the lines of Derek Character. His desire and motor is in question, not his talent or ability. Now, reports are this spring he has improved greatly. And would I want him at RU? Sure, but temper expectations that he is a savior.

Character played in the NBA .

Underachiever yes but there are many more 5 stars who accomplished less.

Reactions: MV9000
I am involved with AAU and also met Clark Francis at the final four this year. Clark Francis is one of the most respected recruiting gurus out there, the author of hoopscoop online website, one that all colleges subscribe to, and a voter for McDonald's all American. He told me Naz Reid will go down as one of the biggest busts. Think along the lines of Derek Character. His desire and motor is in question, not his talent or ability. Now, reports are this spring he has improved greatly. And would I want him at RU? Sure, but temper expectations that he is a savior.

Character played in the NBA .

Underachiever yes but there are many more 5 stars who accomplished less.

Wally Judge fair comparison?

A couple of things to think about fellas?
Clark Francis doesn't even watch half the kids that appear on his site.
Reid is way more athletic and talented than Character. DC was overweight and out of shape.
HS basketball does not translate to college. I held Karl Towns to single digits does that mean he sucks?
There is not 5 players UK have rated higher than him. Even with a so - so season he dropped to #14 which is funny. But he's toying with people now. He's the second best big in this class behind Bagley. Cal just wants him to play hard all the time and I think that is changing. It never was a problem AAU moreso high school, but he also played with some jocks. The kid is a flat out winner.

Has Reid discussed his plans as far as how many years he intends to stay in college? Is he a 1 or maybe 2 and done?

Know a couple of guys that are very involved in his AAU program and really feel that he'll either stay home, and if he does he will go to RU, or end up at Kentucky if they offer.

These guys make fun of me all the time for being a Rutgers fan, but were completely sincere in telling me that they think Rutgers is going to be able to get a groundbreaking 2018 class. Said they are doing a great job with relationships with top NJ kids for 2018 and 2019.

This post needs more likes people

(1) The facilities at blue bloods are next to none.
(2) Going to a blue blood gives you the best chance of winning a national title in the shortest period of time.
(3) Blue blood coaches have a track record of getting their kids to the NBA.
(4) If you're not a top 5 prospect already, your stock is likely to rise while playing for a blue blood (partly because of the national exposure you get).
(5) Blue blood schools offer better and longer term support possibly from the school but definitely from the alumni/boosters

Reactions: soundcrib
(2) Going to a blue blood gives you the best chance of winning a national title in the shortest period of time.
(4) If you're not a top 5 prospect already, your stock is likely to rise while playing for a blue blood (partly because of the national exposure you get).
(5) Blue blood schools offer better and longer term support possibly from the school but definitely from the alumni/boosters
Just curious, what is a jersey kid that didn't go to the NBA, maybe played a year or two in D league, didn't get a degree, going to get from Kentucky or its donors?

Reactions: koleszar
I am just glad Vitale did not give up when people told him why are you bothering recruiting this Sellers kid. And yes it was a long time ago but it can be done.

the pistol and shaq

Reactions: eckoloco

Clark Francis is a big Indiana and Louisville fan. If the player is considering either school their ranking goes up but once they go to another school sometimes you will see their ranking lowered. Colleges subscribe to him because he has been in the evaluation of recruits the longest but he doesn't see all the players that he evaluates. Years ago, I knew someone that worked for him as an evaluator and they said that even though they had certain players they saw ranked high that when Clark put his list together he would rank them lower if specific players were considering specific schools. Take it for what it's worth.

Naz Reid will be a player but he will not be a one and done. By his junior year he will be a player.

Reactions: Ray6232010
Tough company here. Coach P has their work cut out for them

I am just glad Vitale did not give up when people told him why are you bothering recruiting this Sellers kid. And yes it was a long time ago but it can be done.
Recruiting time units in Piscataway are decades and generations. Recruiting chances for landing multiple stellar talent in one recruiting class is one in Avogadro's number.

Recruiting time units in Piscataway are decades and generations. Recruiting chances for landing multiple stellar talent in one recruiting class is one in Avogadro's number.
Translation in layman's terms - slim & none. lol

Translation in layman's terms - slim & none. lol
I'm far more concerned about the consecutive years without one NCAA bid which is far more embarrassing than failure to attract a 5 star recruit.

---
the big 10 did a documentary on the 76 season and interviewed Vitale about recruiting.... Vitale said that Sellers decided on Notre Dame, then he got a bit
nervous about the academics there, and switched to
RU.....

Vitale made it seem as though he was shocked at the
late switch

the moral of the story is to accept a players decision without causing hard feelings..... it allowed Phil
to rethink and change to RU.....some coaches don't
accept well what appears to be the final rejection

6) Get jobs for Mom, Dad and the Uncles.
7) Afford thousands in jewelry before you graduate.
8) Drive booster's SUVs, and when you are caught speeding with a gun nothing happens to you.
9) Get your court date moved three times because you made it to the Final Four.
10) Get chicks and blow while still in high school.
11) Get papers written for you for free.

6) Get jobs for Mom, Dad and the Uncles.
7) Afford thousands in jewelry before you graduate.
8) Drive booster's SUVs, and when you are caught speeding with a gun nothing happens to you.
9) Get your court date moved three times because you made it to the Final Four.
10) Get chicks and blow while still in high school.
11) Get papers written for you for free.

I remember years ago there was a local thing here in Columbus, players driving fancy cars and SUV's. , I mean a LOT of OSU football players in SUV's. At one time they did not even try to hide it. They were driving cars with Dealer Plates...lol It was around the time of the Maurice Clarett thing was going on here in Columbus.

UNC has to be the favorite since they lost Bradley. Damn damn damn!

What are you talking about ? Bradley is gone now. Reid is a junior in HS.

I still say Kansas at the end of the day.

Some fans keep trying to come up with a rationale for why highly rated recruits should come to Rutgers.I'm sure every head coach at Rutgers has stated the reasons why but the problem remains that recruits have other choices .

Did he attend a game last season? Hopefully not.
Unfortunately I don't see how these kids could pick RU after attending a game compared to what they experience at big boys.

We need one big time Jersey player to step it up and be the guy to have faith in Rutgers. Maybe Naz can be that guy. I know he is a priority for RU. That might not be so true with some of the others that always get 5 stars. One guy could become a trend setter.

We just need a little luck... Naz would be that program changer with Douceure and Myles Johnson ... I'm sure Pike is seeing the same thing and hopefully he breaks through with Naz!!!

If he has an inclination to maintain his local ties, to be in close proximity to familiar surroundings, B1G - Rutgers is a strong choice ... if this mind set further extends to his long term view of life - if he feels some desires to continue to make his home in in the metro area - and to make it possible for the pursuit of strong long term highly prosperous financial opportunities in the greater metro area of the largest city in the country... what better way than to become
the Scarlet Knight basketball phenomenon - Imagine -
capturing the hearts & minds of the region and the nation as ...
the Scarlet Knights go "FULL SPEED with NAZ REID" .. charging toward championships.
- if it works out - he is on every highlight reel, is featured on the sports highlights on every media outlet - he then owns this region &sets himself up for - nearly infinite options - endorsements, restaurants, commentator jobs - his visibility & marketability would be off the charts!

You guys do know he is a bit of a project, saw him vs Rumson who lost in a close game. Motor in question

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT