ADVERTISEMENT

We will contend for a playoff spot in 2024

Don’t start now argue bus, I know how you roll after all these years.
Simply am I right or not? He gave no specifics at all in an effort become "legendary" on a very stupid statement. He is the guy at the bar doing simple tricks to get a free beer. I'm not arguing at all. He has yet to define a date or remaining games that will be still in it.

Reactions: BRKnightsFan
I am very disappointed in this board community tonight. One of our more prescient and prolific posters makes a positive prediction for next year and it’s met with derision. Not to mention a poster who should only be posting in the ACC thread takes a shot at our QBs. Rutgers Nation be better and embrace the positivity from Humble Plum.
There is only one Rutgers Al and Rutgers Plum isn't the type of legendary optimist like Al is.
Maybe in a few years RUP might get to be known as seconded to the biggest Rutgers Football optimist , but for now RUP is just starting to be known as an optimist .
One RUP message doesn't qualify the Plum to be in the same legendary category as Rutgers Al.
But nice to see Plum trying 👍
No sour grapes from me 😇

Last edited:
VT game is huge. Posted this before, Lane Staduim is a very very tough venue. VT will be big time up for game, they have had a good recruiting class, and used portal to get legit starters to add. No turnovers will be big, and not allowing a big special teams play as well. Need to escape there with a W, then we can start projecting a bit.
We beat VT down like dogs. They’re not going to be able to rectify their S&C issues and talent issues in one year.

Not at all concerned about VT. Washington, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Maryland, USC, Minnesota, and UCLA make or break our season.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I think we have the potential to win nine games, possibly 10 if a lot things break right

But That would require Gavin taking a massive step forward

Sign me up for 8-4 right now, continue improvement on the offense, more robust on the NIL front, and uptick in Recruiting , and better all around play, especially on offense and I will be super happy
8-4 doesn't keep you in the playoffs picture. We all would love 8-4 BTW.
Remember last year?? We were 6-2 to qualify for a bowl game and shit the bed. Big save by winning the bowl game. So if 8-4 is your pick you aren't getting any "cedit for "being in contention"

8-4 doesn't keep you in the playoffs picture. We all would love 8-4 BTW.
Remember last year?? We were 6-2 to qualify for a bowl game and shit the bed. Big save by winning the bowl game. So if 8-4 is your pick you aren't getting any "cedit for "being in contention"
If RU starts out 2024 winning it's first 4 games some might try to claim being 4-0 puts RU in the early playoff picture.
But I'm sure everyone who considers RU a playoff possibility means that will happen
if RU is in contention for the B1G Championship game after it's 10th game.
Anything less would be trying to work a con.😡🤬

Reactions: WhiteBus
If RU starts out 2024 winning it's first 4 games some might try to claim being 4-0 puts RU in the early playoff picture.
But I'm sure everyone who considers RU a playoff possibility means that will happen
if RU is in contention for the B1G Championship game after it's 10th game.
Anything less would be trying to work a con.😡🤬
Exactly. 9-1 at the worst. For a change we are playing crap teams in the last two games. Illinois and Michigan State. To go from 6-2 (which ended 6-6) to 9-1 would be legendary. Anything else isn't. Plum is going for low hanging fruit.

I’m kidding a bit, but going serious I agree that the VT and Nebraska games may set the tone for the year. VT gave us all we could handle before that brilliant call on 4th and short opened up the floodgates. And VT got much better as the year went on. Nebraska, league game, improved last year, nuff said.
VT will be a huge barometer for 2024. They return 10 starters on Offense..86% of their Production which is the highest in the country. A real possibility they will be a Top 25 Team in the pre season.
Beat them in Blacksburg and our path to a 10 win season is a reality. All depends if our QB play improves to B1G caliber and not bottom of the FBS QB ratings.

Reactions: RUPete
Simply am I right or not? He gave no specifics at all in an effort become "legendary" on a very stupid statement. He is the guy at the bar doing simple tricks to get a free beer. I'm not arguing at all. He has yet to define a date or remaining games that will be still in it.
You’re not right because you fail to see nuance. I know this drives you crazy but you will never be right or win an argument. Too much gray area.

Contending teams who aren’t ridiculously deep (like us) require game changing QB’s the whole stadium knows can take you 80 yards the last 2 minutes of both halves..
Do we have one?
It would be nice to have a few Tight Ends also.

We beat VT down like dogs. They’re not going to be able to rectify their S&C issues and talent issues in one year.

Not at all concerned about VT. Washington, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Maryland, USC, Minnesota, and UCLA make or break our season.

The score was 21-16 with 14min left in the game.

If that is “beat down like dogs” then OSU, Iowa, UM and Wisconsin weren’t nearly as encouraging as many have proclaimed.

You’re not right because you fail to see nuance. I know this drives you crazy but you will never be right or win an argument. Too much gray area.
I'll never be wrong with the OPs original, lack of info question. How about you step up and answer the question that Plum is afraid to answer. To be a contender in the playoffs next year we will have to be in the top 15/20 at some point. You buying that are just another clown blowing smoke. We would all love Rutgers being ranked at all. Plum and yourself are beating your chests without giving an answer.

He didn't make a prediction. He made a statement that is true for every P5 school at the beginning of the season.
The question about his prediction is, how deep into the season is he predicting that we are contending?
If he takes credit for us five games in, and then the dream evaporates, not so Accurate imo

The question about his prediction is, how deep into the season is he predicting that we are contending?
If he takes credit for us five games in, and then the dream evaporates, not so Accurate imo
That's my point from the start. Everyone is in contention from day 1. And even that doesn't "eliminate teams" but if you are never ranked you are never in contention. Rutgers could be 6-2 again like last year and never sniff a ranking.
Funny how the self proclaimed legendary poster has disappeared after an incomplete prediction.

Someone can’t take a joke! Calm down FSU guy. We all donate and many of us have kept the lights on in football and basketball for a long time here. Now back to the ACC thread for you! 😂
That is very true about those who have donated for many , many years. People love to back up their posts with “ if you donated as much as I have” …yes , I am guilty as such having used that phrasing as well. People should be able to critique our players , the teams performance as well as the staffs. This will be a better than good year… felt that way back in 2005-2006. For me it’s about those 4-5 areas which can hinder us somewhat in our 2024 season goals .GO RU !!!!!

rutgersal: I watched VTech several times post Rutgers they will be tough my man. Their QB is very talented and HC is also quite good. Beat them in Blacksburg and it will boost RU’s confidence going forward.The schedule sets Rutgers up well for success.

The score was 21-16 with 14min left in the game.

If that is “beat down like dogs” then OSU, Iowa, UM and Wisconsin weren’t nearly as encouraging as many have proclaimed.
OSU, Iowa, and UM were much better than we were. I don’t know how anyone could dispute that. The difference in the Wisky game was a pick 6. The Final Score is what matters, not what The score was at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Actually, he said the following, which is somewhat specific.

We go out to usc very much alive

He is implying that, after 7 games, we will be roughly within one game of having as good or better a record as however many teams are to be included in the playoff or more. But lots of teams are likely to be in that position at that point.

You are correct in saying that his guess is phrased in very vague terms with a variety of possible interpretations. Unless he is more specific, then it would be close to the same kind of safe odds guess it was that Ash, or any other coach, would fail here. In other words, not an impressive guess should it turn out to be accurate or not.

If he states that we will win at least 6 of our first 7 games, that would be more impressive a guess if it was borne out.

That is very true about those who have donated for many , many years. People love to back up their posts with “ if you donated as much as I have” …yes , I am guilty as such having used that phrasing as well. People should be able to critique our players , the teams performance as well as the staffs. This will be a better than good year… felt that way back in 2005-2006. For me it’s about those 4-5 areas which can hinder us somewhat in our 2024 season goals .GO RU !!!!!
Not to derail the thread but I was quite surprised with 2006. After seeing us get carved up by ASU, I just didn't think our defense would be good enough. But Schiano took over the D and we got Eric Foster back. Night and day difference.

Then make a factual, detailed prediction. Like "if they win out with X amount games left"

He did. He said we’d be in the play off hunt heading to USC. That’s pretty clear as nothing other than 7-0 at that point puts us in that situation. 7-0 counts as a bold prediction.

Reactions: Plum Street
Not to derail the thread but I was quite surprised with 2006. After seeing us get carved up by ASU, I just didn't think our defense would be good enough. But Schiano took over the D and we got Eric Foster back. Night and day difference.
Nah… we had not one but two RB’s ( NFL caliber) … a good to very good D…we had WR’s and TE’s and our special teams play was above average…exceptional kickers and we had an O line which did the job upfront . Schiano still is in charge of the D …. let’s not kid ourselves. Greg’s current staff is where we are significantly better overall. HEALTH IS ALWAYS KEY. A bit similar to this season In many ways.

He did. He said we’d be in the play off hunt heading to USC. That’s pretty clear as nothing other than 7-0 at that point puts us in that situation. 7-0 counts as a bold prediction.
Zero losses is in contention for the #1 rank. Something other than zero losses will make the playoff. Being at that number will allow a team to still be “in contention” throughout the season.

Get back to me when half you guys donate the amount of money I do, and our invested in our NL like I am

Nothing Gavin has done leads me or any rational person to believe he’s going to get us to the playoffs next year
no but he won't be here next year

our new QB changes things.

Trust the Greek!

Pete, you know I like you but tell me what Gavin has done to show we’re capable of the playoffs?

I hope to God I’m wrong and well happily escrow if he takes a massive step up, but I just don’t see it

It’s a shame too, because our defense is legit, but I dont believe at this time, we have the playmakers and quarterback to take that elusive next step
If Monangai stays healthy we'll be alright.

I think we would have to win at USC to come out 8-0 to still be in the hunt. Remember our ranking is more an indication of being in contention for a playoffs, then the record.
@Plum Street did not give us a record of 7-0. He was intentionally vague just so he can claim any winning record as a "successful" prediction. Your statement of 7-0 is a solid prediction.

I think we would have to win at USC to come out 8-0 to still be in the hunt. Remember our ranking is more an indication of being in contention for a playoffs, then the record.
@Plum Street did not give us a record of 7-0. He was intentionally vague just so he can claim any winning record as a "successful" prediction. Your statement of 7-0 is a solid prediction.

Nah - he couldn’t do that. He said “in the hunt” for the playoffs going into the USC game. 5-2 going into that game would put us at mathematically eliminated from a playoff bid. We’re not getting in as a 2 loss team and Plum knows that for sure.

At absolute most - he could try to say 6-1 fits his criteria for in the hunt at that point but even that would be a massive stretch. We wouldn’t be guaranteed a spot in the playoffs at 11-1 and being 6-1 would require not only beating USC at their place but running the table thereafter just to be in the conversation. Plum doesn’t consider the BB team “in the hunt for an at large bid” right now - the odds of a playoff bid in football would be statistically worse at 6-1 going into USC so…

Reactions: WhiteBus
Nah - he couldn’t do that. He said “in the hunt” for the playoffs going into the USC game. 5-2 going into that game would put us at mathematically eliminated from a playoff bid. We’re not getting in as a 2 loss team and Plum knows that for sure.

At absolute most - he could try to say 6-1 fits his criteria for in the hunt at that point but even that would be a massive stretch. We wouldn’t be guaranteed a spot in the playoffs at 11-1 and being 6-1 would require not only beating USC at their place but running the table thereafter just to be in the conversation. Plum doesn’t consider the BB team “in the hunt for an at large bid” right now - the odds of a playoff bid in football would be statistically worse at 6-1 going into USC so…
Agree. As I said after 7 games we would need to be ranked in the teens for any chance. At 6-2 last year we were not even ranked. That's not going to do it.

I don’t think contending for a playoff spot for next season is in any way a realistic expectation. I think some are seriously underestimating the schedule. A 7-5 season would be a very good result in my opinion. Obviously most national pundits will disagree. Attached is a way too early prediction from The College Football News. I think this is overly pessimistic but it gives you an idea of how others may see it:

I don’t think contending for a playoff spot for next season is in any way a realistic expectation. I think some are seriously underestimating the schedule. A 7-5 season would be a very good result in my opinion. Obviously most national pundits will disagree. Attached is a way too early prediction from The College Football News. I think this is overly pessimistic but it gives you an idea of how others may see it:
Overly Pessimistic? That's an understatement. Just 3-9??

Agree. As I said after 7 games we would need to be ranked in the teens for any chance. At 6-2 last year we were not even ranked. That's not going to do it.

Well - our starting point will be low, so the ranking wouldn’t necessarily be that meaningful after 7 games in that bold 7-0 hypothetical. The loss to us would likely keep all 7 of the teams we beat out of the rankings unless those teams knock off a major brand name. We could easily be 7-0 at that point and ranked in the 20s. By 10-0 that would work itself out. By no means am I predicting any of this by the way - I’m only speculating how the media would perceive us.

It’s great we are even debating about being in the playoff picture vs. where we were 4 years ago.

True but there are a number of board lurkers who will always find the negatives whether it be Schiano or who went elsewhere. Just saw former Rutgers O line player CJ Hanson ( Holy Cross) at the combine. Nice player who decided to leave.

Don’t start now argue bus, I know how you roll after all these years.

I ate @WhiteBus lunch in the northwestern coach of the year thread : my record speaks for itself. Legendary!
Bus thinks Washington actually crossed Christmas morning when the tourists showed up!!

We will have a very good defense. We can run the ball. I have seen enough football to know this wins games . Will it be enough to head out to USC alive for a playoff berth ? I think so .
Let’s go ru

Reactions: RUforester72
I ate @WhiteBus lunch in the northwestern coach of the year thread : my record speaks for itself. Legendary!
Bus thinks Washington actually crossed Christmas morning when the tourists showed up!!

We will have a very good defense. We can run the ball. I have seen enough football to know this wins games . Will it be enough to head out to USC alive for a playoff berth ? I think so .
Let’s go ru
No the battle was Christmas morning stupid.
So let us hear a real prediction. 7-0 going into USC? Your brought up the USC but chickened out on a real prediction. Step up son and make a real prediction for a change.

No the battle was Christmas morning stupid.
So let us hear a real prediction. 7-0 going into USC? Your brought up the USC but chickened out on a real prediction. Step up son and make a real prediction for a change.
I posted alive and in contention heading out to usc. . Slow bus !
Should we talk about the as is smashed thread? Or where you didn’t think that northwestern coach would be COY because Rutgers beat them ?
Just embrace the board legend here and a prediction you want to come true

I posted alive and in contention heading out to usc. . Slow bus !
Should we talk about the as is smashed thread? Or where you didn’t think that northwestern coach would be COY because Rutgers beat them ?
Just embrace the board legend here and a prediction you want to come true
Wow, Plum is afraid to make a real prediction! Certainly not Legendary.

Wow, Plum is afraid to make a real prediction! Certainly not Legendary.
It seem pretty real !

Remember the northwestern thread where you acted like an a$$ and plum proved you were wrong ! Legendary !!

You even think Washington crossed with tourists cheering him on!! Unbelievable!
Believe in the legend !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT