ADVERTISEMENT

Well We Know Our First OOC Opponent Besides SHU

General CBB question:
Why is the OOC schedule never known?
Do other team not have games scheduled until literally a couple months beforehand?

Just thinking of how CFB has OOC agreements years in advance.

General CBB question:
Why is the OOC schedule never known?
Do other team not have games scheduled until literally a couple months beforehand?

Just thinking of how CFB has OOC agreements years in advance.
Basketball scheduling is generally done in April and May. Early season tournaments are booked 1.5-2 years in advance (Maui announced the November 2023 field last month) and sometimes there are multi year agreements (our game at UMass was booked by Eddie Jordan, I think) but otherwise this is the time of year when next season's schedules start coming together.

I just don’t understand it.

We know the RAC is our greatest advantage. Why aren’t we scheduling home and homes with two power teams?

For example:

2023 - @UCLA and vs Duke (RAC game)
2024 - vs UCLA (RAC game) and @Duke

You go 1-1 in those games and you look great, RAC would be wild which we know the team feeds off of.

If you go 0-2 it doesn’t even matter. Literally doesn’t hurt your resume at all.

We know the RAC is our greatest advantage. Why aren’t we scheduling home and homes with two power teams?

For example:

You go 1-1 in those games and you look great, RAC would be wild which we know the team feeds off of.

If you go 0-2 it doesn’t even matter. Literally doesn’t hurt your resume at all.

its not that easy, most schools do not want to come here...for that matter, there are not as many scheduled home and home by power conferences...most of the ooc games scheduled where top schools are pitted against each other come from conference challenges or the plethora of in season neutral site tournaments that Rutgers has tried its best to avoid like the plague for the past 35 years.

For example:

UCLA isn't traveling 3000 miles to play at the RAC. I sure as heck wouldn't do it if I was them.

UCLA isn't traveling 3000 miles to play at the RAC. I sure as heck wouldn't do it if I was them.
Was strictly using Duke and UCLA as placeholders.

The point I’m trying to make is we need to limit the amount of Mickey Mouse programs at home.

You have a rabid fan base at the RAC, use it!

Idc how much hype there is around the team, the players aren’t getting up for a game vs Bucknell and the fan base isn’t either.

Roll the dice, have some balls, and get big names in the RAC

Reactions: colbert17
its not that easy, most schools do not want to come here...for that matter, there are not as many scheduled home and home by power conferences...most of the ooc games scheduled where top schools are pitted against each other come from conference challenges or the plethora of in season neutral site tournaments that Rutgers has tried its best to avoid like the plague for the past 35 years.
If there’s a will, there’s a way.

Make a deal!

For example:

No one is coming voluntarily to the rack that isn’t paid.

Reactions: colbert17
Bucknell 9-23 and 334 in the NET....as the rest of the names roll in, we shall see if any lessons have been learned.
346 out of 358 Central Connecticut to be announced next. I do have faith that we'll at least add one additional legitimate game compared to last season though.

I'm serious when I say this next part. If the idea playing these dog shit teams is to warm up and get your legs, why not just play d2 teams like caldwell college instead? They don't count towards your resume and probably provide basically the same level of competition.

That will not be easy. As you said the RAC is quickly becoming one of the best home courts in the country. Unless you're a real blue blood, like Kentucky, you're going to try and avoid the place.
Even a team like Kentucky would probably rather play another true blue blood if they want to challenge themselves instead of coming to the RAC

Okay so then pay. Make a deal.

Pike doesn’t have any connections at all? No good ole boy network to call up and make something happen?

No way pIke agrees to play Kentucky…anywhere
IMO if Kentucky would sign a home and home he'd do it. Much like if Duke would sign a home-home he'd do it.

The interesting thing is, those schools love recruiting NYC/NJ so they'd probably only do it if we agreed to @ their home court and our "home" game is MSG or Barclays which imo is stupid. One neutral site game vs them? Sure. But a home for them and then neutral site for us? No thanks.

If we play 10 OOC games it should be

- Gavitt vs big east
- B1G/ACC
- Seton Hall
- Princeton (2 at RAC for every 1 at Jadwin)
- Pre-season tourney where you get 3 games. For example Seton Hall's Fort Meyers tourney where they got to face 3 teams (one at home and 2 in Fort Meyers). Those were Yale, Ohio State and Cal.
- 3 cupcakes. The issue is right now we schedule at minimum like 7 cupcakes every year. Like horrifically bad teams that are in the 300's

Assume we will get Clemson or Miami in ACC…happy to beat Clemson again - they are quickly becoming the Indiana of our non-conference. Wouldn’t mind St Johns in Gavitt.

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
That cannot be true.

We know Rutgers might have scheduling issues in that way.. but there are others. Clemson came to play. I am certain there are other P5s that would do a home and home.

Stop. He was scheduled to play Baylor (#1 in the nation) in 2020.

My recollection is that it while it was often speculated and reported that RU was going to play in the 2020 Jimmy V Classic, it was never officially announced. Googling reports this morning I see that NJ.com reported it that way, too, once Pike officially said that we wouldn’t be going to Orlando.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT