ADVERTISEMENT

What hath Rick Wrought

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
With a decent chance Rutgers plays St John's at MSG or at home in the Gavitt,let's take a gander:
Just grabbed Alleyne from UConn and expects one other major BE portal kid

Has 2 Iona studs coming in yet missed on Clayton Jr

Is a finalist for Betsey, Timberlake and Duel

Has the full support of Rapone

We shall see,but he will certainly have an NCAA caliber team in a program which was going backwards in a now rigorous conference.

Iona studs is in a way impossible to say...they were at Iona....solid, not great.

Pitino isn't doing what Ed Cooley is doing IMO.....Betsey to St John's is impossible or improbable in many ways.

The Big East is trending in the wrong direction.....will help St John's, but Seton Hall, Providence, Butler DePaul and Georgetown have a very long way to go.

Is this an ongoing thing, to praise the 4th or 5th best league in CBB?? The Big 12, SEC and yes the B1G and ACC probably land ahead of the Big East today. The bottom of the Big East looks very "eh", right now.

Let’s give the big east northeastern schools sone credit for at least trying …seton hall last year with Holloway , and St. John’s and Georgetown this year with pitono and cooley, are at least spending money on coaching short term when they don’t and won’t ever spend Moneh on the facilities …

Creighton , Marquette , Xavier and UConn are all waaaaay ahead of the others in terms of the total program support facilities

Villanova and providence remain at a cross roads having lost their big time coach and now will see what happens when they don’t have one

DePaul is a disaster

Butler is a wild card on which way they go

And what happened to St. John’s when pitino hangs it up

Be interesting to see what UConn does if a call from the ACC comes . Of course the football acc schools don’t want it, not wanting to dilute the football money firther ….but there are several others that would want a bigger Eastern basketball footprint in the acc

Iona studs is in a way impossible to say...they were at Iona....solid, not great.

Pitino isn't doing what Ed Cooley is doing IMO.....Betsey to St John's is impossible or improbable in many ways.

The Big East is trending in the wrong direction.....will help St John's, but Seton Hall, Providence, Butler DePaul and Georgetown have a very long way to go.

Is this an ongoing thing, to praise the 4th or 5th best league in CBB?? The Big 12, SEC and yes the B1G and ACC probably land ahead of the Big East today. The bottom of the Big East looks very "eh", right now.
I think you missed your calling. You can take the opposite side of any point, just for the sake of arguing. You shouldve been an attorney. Not sure youd be a good one because your rebuttals are very ehhh but you wouldve enjoyed it

I think you missed your calling. You can take the opposite side of any point, just for the sake of arguing. You shouldve been an attorney. Not sure youd be a good one because your rebuttals are very ehhh but you wouldve enjoyed it

The love of the Big East from some is odd....it's not the same league of the 2011 days, when 11 teams made the NCAAs. It has some good programs, but every league typically has 5 to 6 NCAA type programs most years....there's a lot of hype surrounding St John's, but there's 11 teams in the league, not 6. If RU schedules the game with St John's at MSG, it's going to be 1 of 32 to 33 games next year. It's not going to get elevated to something beyond reality, just because some people want to hype up St John's. I don't see the point of having this discussion on a RU board, they're not a conference member and I would say the same about Nova or any other former BE opponent.

The past is the past and I'm looking forward at what's ahead for RU.

The Big East is certainly NOT trending in the wrong direction. The Big East is trending upward and the trajectory has caught up to the Big Ten. UConn brought home a national championship. UConn, Marquette, and Xavier are all top 10 teams. Other teams are utilizing the transfer portal and are bringing in quality players. Providence and St. John's will be good teams next year. Villanova and Georgetown will be improved. Let's be honest, if Rutgers played in this conference, I think they finish 6th or 7th.

The Big East is certainly NOT trending in the wrong direction. The Big East is trending upward and the trajectory has caught up to the Big Ten. UConn brought home a national championship. UConn, Marquette, and Xavier are all top 10 teams. Other teams are utilizing the transfer portal and are bringing in quality players. Providence and St. John's will be good teams next year. Villanova and Georgetown will be improved. Let's be honest, if Rutgers played in this conference, I think they finish 6th or 7th.
I forgot to mention Creighton will be very good next year as well.

The Big East is a very tough, quality conference.

Lots of B1G teams would struggle with the Big East’s athleticism.

When was the big ten better than the big east in bball?

Reactions: RUsojo
Everyone seems to forget that nobody cares. He paid players? Omg who honestly gives a shit? We are paying players, probably more than he did.
You forgot. One of his assistants dared to have an 18 year old recruit see a set of tits. The horror

You forgot. One of his assistants dared to have an 18 year old recruit see a set of tits. The horror

Wow, nice revisionist history. Louisville was paying for hookers and strippers to provide to recruits over a 4 year period. Pitino also slept with his equipment manager's wife and paid 3 grand for her abortion.

Interesting how the same guys who denigrate Pike/RU/BIG continually on this board pump up the Big East and guys like Pitino. I guess scumbags prefer scumbags.

Creighton lost their starting PG to Arizona and I don't see them or Marquette being better next year than this past year. Georgetown getting better while Providence is going backwards, doesn't equate to better.

SHU has lost 2 starters to the portal and has no size on their roster. I don't see Butler or DePaul making any progress.

Its a 5 or 6 bid league MAX and the bottom of the league as of mid April, is not good.

Time will tell, but let's hold up the hype train a bit. We give out free lunches to teams every offseason and sometimes it doesn't always translate. I don't lose any sleep over the Big East or St John's anymore. My focus is on RU, the B1G and all of CBB.....I don't overhype teams based on local media people who are paid to do so for their respective favorites.

Lots of B1G teams would struggle with the Big East’s athleticism.
It's a shame there aren't mid-season things like the Gavitt Challenge or B1G/SEC
It would be more meaningful and useful in mid-January
Maybe because I'm a relatively new NCAA BB fan but the conference just doesn't seem as meaningful to me as it does to others. I wish there were fewer conference games and more P5/BE non-conference games.
Follow the money though and that seems to be in conference games.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
If you don’t think the Big East is a very good league you’re simply holding a bias. They have won multiple recent tiles, always have numerous teams ranked highly, and they have a very good TV deal (for exposure - who cares about money they actually get paid). Also, while people want to complain about Pitino, to pretend he doesn’t vastly improve that league is crazy. He has won everywhere he’s been.

Wow, nice revisionist history. Louisville was paying for hookers and strippers to provide to recruits over a 4 year period. Pitino also slept with his equipment manager's wife and paid 3 grand for her abortion.

Interesting how the same guys who denigrate Pike/RU/BIG continually on this board pump up the Big East and guys like Pitino. I guess scumbags prefer scumbags.
Not sure how any of the above negates the fact that in his 16 years at louisville he accomplished the following:

1- National Championship
3- final 4’s
6- elite 8’s
7- sweet 16’s

As a fan I honestly couldnt care less what goes on in his personal life. His players loved him, he won games, that is all that matters to me. I truly truly truly dont care if behind closed doors he was cheating on his wife, I watched where he put his teams, not where he put his dick.

Some of you prefer a choir boy coach who wins 1 tourney game every once and a while. Id prefer a winner

• Haha
Reactions: Local Shill
Not sure how any of the above negates the fact that in his 16 years at louisville he accomplished the following:

1- National Championship
3- final 4’s
6- elite 8’s
7- sweet 16’s

As a fan I honestly couldnt care less what goes on in his personal life. His players loved him, he won games, that is all that matters to me. I truly truly truly dont care if behind closed doors he was cheating on his wife, I watched where he put his teams, not where he put his dick.

Some of you prefer a choir boy coach who wins 1 tourney game every once and a while. Id prefer a winner

1- National Championship - VACATED
2- final 4’s - VACATED
and a whole bunch more, 123 wins overall - vacated.

1- National Championship - VACATED
2- final 4’s - VACATED
and a whole bunch more, 123 wins overall - vacated.
Ahh yes vacated. So they never happened. The fans never saw them with their own eyes and enjoyed them LOL.

Imagine thinking reggie bush never won the heisman lol

Reactions: RUsojo
Ahh yes vacated. So they never happened. The fans never saw them with their own eyes and enjoyed them LOL.
I agree, as a punishment, it's a joke. They took the banners down and there's an asterisk in the record books.

Imagine thinking reggie bush never won the heisman lol
Kyk- I often agree with most of your posts. But not willing to give Pitino a full pass. He’s dirty. And when caught, he pleaded ignorance. “I’m shocked I tell you!” rhetoric BS. He said he was completely unaware of what his assistants were doing. So that means you lost control of the program. Which one was it?

Creighton lost their starting PG to Arizona and I don't see them or Marquette being better next year than this past year. Georgetown getting better while Providence is going backwards, doesn't equate to better.

SHU has lost 2 starters to the portal and has no size on their roster. I don't see Butler or DePaul making any progress.

Its a 5 or 6 bid league MAX and the bottom of the league as of mid April, is not good.

Time will tell, but let's hold up the hype train a bit. We give out free lunches to teams every offseason and sometimes it doesn't always translate. I don't lose any sleep over the Big East or St John's anymore. My focus is on RU, the B1G and all of CBB.....I don't overhype teams based on local media people who are paid to do so for their respective favorites.
These teams will be fine next year.

I was just pointing out that the Big East is an elite conference in the world of college basketball. The conference is only getting better.

A lot of Big East schools have major donors with lots of cash. After all, most Big East teams focus solely on college hoops and will shell out cash to get top talent so it wouldn't surprise me if teams can turn things around quickly from picking up players in the portal.

Choir boy vs. winner is a false dichotomy
You make a great point. Has anyone “won big” in college sports that wasn’t dirty? Maybe Knight, personality aside. Who else?

Oh please stop . Nobody cares. So the guy is an ass. He’s being paid to coach basketball

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
You make a great point. Has anyone “won big” in college sports that wasn’t dirty? Maybe Knight, personality aside. Who else?
This is a very good question.
They are either dirty or slimy in some capacity.

I was just pointing out that the Big East is an elite conference in the world of college basketball. The conference is only getting better.

A lot of Big East schools have major donors with lots of cash. After all, most Big East teams focus solely on college hoops and will shell out cash to get top talent so it wouldn't surprise me if teams can turn things around quickly from picking up players in the portal.

Elite means 1st or 2nd.....they are not 1st or 2nd. We just disagree on how good a league is. If Gonzaga won 2 National Titles or San Diego State won the Title this year, I don't think fans would be on Twitter or anything saying the West Coast Conference or Mountain West is king.

The Old Big East deserves tons of credit, they were clearly at the Top. Villanova has taken a steep tumble since Jay Wright left and UConn has replaced Nova as top in league and a Top 5/10 National Program. If we are giving Nova credit for things 5 years ago and the Big East 15 years ago, knock yourself out.

We now have an official NIL and this version of college sports in 2023, is not 2004 to 2011. It's a different climate altogether.

1- National Championship
3- final 4’s
6- elite 8’s
7- sweet 16’s

Some of you prefer a choir boy coach who wins 1 tourney game every once in a while. Id prefer a winner
Everyone’s standards are different. It’s not a problem. If the question is “Is Pitino a great basketball coach?”, that answer is undeniable.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Iona studs? There’s no such thing. He’ll have at John’s much better in the future but he’s been disappointed in the portal this year so far.

Of course the Big East is elite. Just because Rutgers is in the Big Ten, that doesn't make Big Ten basketball the best and just because Rutgers is no longer in the Big East,that doesn't make the Big East suddenly pedestrian.We are ignoring 2 key elements. The Big East teams have won 7 National Championships in the last 24 years and quite obviously the Big East has the best cadre of coaches. That league has 8 coaches who have been to the second weekend,7 to the Elite 8,5 to the last weekend,3 to the title game and 2 who have won it all. No other league is remotely close. The league produced 2 of the top 5 teams last season and UConn,Creighton and Marquette will in the aggregate be stronger next season and all 3 are in everyone's top 9 in mid-April. I guess Michigan State could make an Elite 8 run next season,but most likely no one else. Rutgers is in 100% the best conference for Rutgers,but not remotely the best conference in college basketball no matter how many bids it might produce. The abysmal record the last 3 seasons speaks volumes.And yes,this isn't a very relevant conversation.

Kyk- I often agree with most of your posts. But not willing to give Pitino a full pass. He’s dirty. And when caught, he pleaded ignorance. “I’m shocked I tell you!” rhetoric BS. He said he was completely unaware of what his assistants were doing. So that means you lost control of the program. Which one was it?
I honestly dont care even if he knew his recruits were getting lap dances and blowjobs. He won, won big and won often

I mean wasn't the Big Ten regularly putting in 8-9 teams into the dance? Let's not kid ourselves, pretty much for the last 10 years the Big East has been Villanova and maybe a few teams that are good here and there.
What did those teams do in the dance?

I honestly dont care even if he knew his recruits were getting lap dances and blowjobs. He won, won big and won often
You have my sympathies. It's gotta be awful tough to be a fan of a school that really does care about such things and is not interested in winning at any cost.
Have you ever considered rooting for another school ? There are plenty out there that share your fast-and-loose approach to the rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT