ADVERTISEMENT

What I'm Hearing (Final Update)

ouchmyknee

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2006
Hoboken, NJ
Was debating whether or not to post at all here because I have to say that Hobbs is following his MO with regards to info trickling out, but figured I'd give a final update as I don't know what will eventually come out.

Anyways, I'm still hearing that it's not Hurley. I completely trust my source (not an RU source this time) who, if anyone would know anything, they would. That being said, there could be reasons that I can't go into that could explain the news that's being passed on to me.

As far as potential names other than Hurley, I don't have any new ones. The names I was given were from someone close to RU who I spoke to at the Monmouth game (that I posted earlier). Nothing is leaking out (similar to football). And the articles about Hurley being the guy were said to be conjecture by my source.

Now this doesn't mean that it won't end up being Hurley, and I'm starting to lean that way (reluctantly). What I'm gathering from everything is that Hurley is not the preferred choice, but is/was a candidate.

I'll prob take flack for this post being vague, but the reality of the situation is that it's pretty vague and fluid. this is all I got. I'll now sit back and enjoy the process like everyone else.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Unless one of the new fired people are possibilities. I wonder if Hobbs is concerned that Hurley is too much of a hothead?

There's only one hurdle that I agree with ouch on with his post.....it's not overly complicated, but strangely enough, Hurley is still the obvious choice for more reasons than anyone else right now.....

I've heard both of imbadru's post are correct to a certain extent.

What I'm hearing is crickets.

But I know that Rutgers wants athletics to be a source of pride for the university, not a cause of embarrassment.

After firing a competent athletic director who had the habit of sticking her foot in her mouth, and a football coach that presided over too many arrests and a bizarre faculty contact, and, of course, Mike Rice and his antics, I don't think Rutgers wants a basketball coach that they'll have to make excuses for.

I would be thrilled with Hurley or Lonergan. I think Hurley will recruit like mad at Rutgers. Not sure about Lonergan.

Was debating whether or not to post at all here because I have to say that Hobbs is following his MO with regards to info trickling out, but figured I'd give a final update as I don't know what will eventually come out.

Anyways, I'm still hearing that it's not Hurley. I completely trust my source (not an RU source this time) who, if anyone would know anything, they would. That being said, there could be reasons that I can't go into that could explain the news that's being passed on to me.

As far as potential names other than Hurley, I don't have any new ones. The names I was given were from someone close to RU who I spoke to at the Monmouth game (that I posted earlier). Nothing is leaking out (similar to football). And the articles about Hurley being the guy were said to be conjecture by my source.

Now this doesn't mean that it won't end up being Hurley, and I'm starting to lean that way (reluctantly). What I'm gathering from everything is that Hurley is not the preferred choice, but is/was a candidate.

I'll prob take flack for this post being vague, but the reality of the situation is that it's pretty vague and fluid. this is all I got. I'll now sit back and enjoy the process like everyone else.
Sorry. Don't buy it.

Does this mean I have to change my avatar? If I'm thinking what the hurdle is with Hurley I would be concerned .

Unless one of the new fired people are possibilities. I wonder if Hobbs is concerned that Hurley is too much of a hothead?

I'd be concerned. Very concerned. I'd hate to see another Mike Rice occurrence at RU. Damn, it's been 25 years since the NCAA, if the next hire blows up, how long will it be then?

Maybe Hurley will only come if URI releases some or all of his recruits to follow him??

But I know that Rutgers wants athletics to be a source of pride for the university, not a cause of embarrassment.

After firing a competent athletic director who had the habit of sticking her foot in her mouth, and a football coach that presided over too many arrests and a bizarre faculty contact, and, of course, Mike Rice and his antics, I don't think Rutgers wants a basketball coach that they'll have to make excuses for.

I have no insight as to the original post and cannot comment on it in any legitimate fashion. I do understand that an intriguing choice was contacted informally. He expressed some interest but wanted ironclad commitments concerning facilities and related support. If the improvements were not complete by an agreed upon date certain there would be contractual penalties including the waiver of any buy out payments if he elected to seek a new job and/or a financial penalty paid by RU. I do not know what RU's reaction was/is. A smart move by the coach's reps to make certain RU would take on financial risk if promised improvements were not completed. It is the sort of commitment RU should make to demonstrate it is serious about the program.

I have no insight as to the original post and cannot comment on it in any legitimate fashion. I do understand that an intriguing choice was contacted informally. He expressed some interest but wanted ironclad commitments concerning facilities and related support. If the improvements were not complete by an agreed upon date certain there would be contractual penalties including the waiver of any buy out payments if he elected to seek a new job and/or a financial penalty paid by RU. I do not know what RU's reaction was/is. A smart move by the coach's reps to make certain RU would take on financial risk if promised improvements were not completed. It is the sort of commitment RU should make to demonstrate it is serious about the program.

that is encouraging--hopefully RU is serious now. we can be good in basketball if we do what is needed. I'd like at some point to hear RU's name as one of the 68 teams chosen.

I would tell him to take a walk

Intriguing choice???? Great, that narrows it down.

I'm Bad - the point was not to throw another name out there. It was simply to provide information on what a potentially strong candidate would desire in terms of a legitimate commitment from RU. I personally believe it is a very fair request by any coach that is considering RU. And it is not hypothetical - this request/demand was made.

I do not have any inside info on the RU side of things so I cannot offer any info on what RU is thinking. I do know this individual well however and simply wanted to pass on what I think is an interesting piece of information regarding what may be a serious point in negotiations. If RU were to agree to such an arrangement that would be tangible proof RU is finally willing to support the program.

Thx for info Dodger! And Ouch

Got ya Dodger. Thanks. Just wondering who a possibly new "strong candidate" might be?

So this would mean not Hurley? Head spinning.

I would tell him to take a walk
Why would you tell him to take a walk? That is EXACTLY what a good coach should ask for. Words mean nothing. The job is IMPOSSIBLE without facilities upgrades. It should absolutely be in the next coaches contract that a practice facility etc will be in place by a certain date. I thought this would be tough for RU to commit to this year which is why I wanted to kick the can down the road for one more season and then next year we would be able to make those commitments and land a stud coach.

RU fired a competent athletic director ? You lost me there. What school will hire her after her brief tenure at RU ?

I'm not a Hurly supporter, nor a hater , but I don't think him being a so called hothead is something Hobbs is worried about.
If he was , I doubt he'd have contacted RI for permission to interview Danny
Danny might be Hobbs top choice, or someone else is, but you can bet your sweet bippy that Hurly is one of Hobbs top choices for the job.

As for a candidate making sure RU does whats needed, if he takes the job, or RU pays the price
for not getting it done is good business sense.
Whoever takes the job is putting his career in jeopardy and should make sure he protects himself in case he has to rebuild his career because RU didn't give him the support they promised.

My gut feeling tells me Danny Hurley with his strong Catholic upbringing wants the Boston College job. He has already stated how much he and his family really enjoy living in New England.

Boston College is really struggling....more than Rutgers.

I'd be concerned. Very concerned. I'd hate to see another Mike Rice occurrence at RU. Damn, it's been 25 years since the NCAA, if the next hire blows up, how long will it be then?
so you prefer 100% by the book character guy with zero street to play ball with aau? that's fine, but when the recruits don't come and you're winning three conf games a season don't complain.

Last edited:
Here is what I heard Saturday and I posted it then. I heard Coca-Cola exploding up through a gentleman's nose followed by a clearing of his voice, laughter and then the words, What the hell has he done exactly to deserve a job like that? This was after I asked an ex-Big East coach what he thought of Hurley as our next head coach, right after he took a sip of Jack and Coke.

Just playing along.

I don't get why people think we should tell a coach to take a walk if he asks for a waiver of a buyout clause if RU doesn't do certain things. Seems like a good approach to get a better coach.

My gut feeling tells me Danny Hurley with his strong Catholic upbringing wants the Boston College job. He has already stated how much he and his family really enjoy living in New England.

Boston College is really struggling....more than Rutgers.
This is inaccurate.

Here is what I heard Saturday and I posted it then. I heard Coca-Cola exploding up through a gentleman's nose followed by a clearing of his voice, laughter and then the words, What the hell has he done exactly to deserve a job like that? This was after I asked an ex-Big East coach what he thought of Hurley as our next head coach, right after he took a sip of Jack and Coke.

Just playing along.

honestly Wenzel thought that Jordan was going to get it done so i wouldnt cling to his opinion

This is inaccurate.

Which part? BC struggling more or the fact that Hurley may love New England and look to move from Rhode Island across state lines to Boston College ? An Irish Catholic guy with a strong Catholic faith may want that job.

Not sure what type of recruits BC has coming in next year, but, a guy with this type of 2 year record has to be on the Hot Seat

2014–15 Boston College 13–19 4–14 13th
2015–16 Boston College 7–25 0–18

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT