ADVERTISEMENT

What Is The Strength of This Team?

RAC93

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2023
No idea what this team’s identity is. What do they do well? At times they press well, but then it disappears for chunks of the game. Can’t rebound, can’t defend, can’t shoot, can’t shoot free throws….having a hard time seeing this team winning this year.

Reactions: Scangg and biazza38
Apparently they’re fast
I expect to see A LOT of line up changes during this stretch

Three point shooting - which is why I cant understand why we went away from it after halftime. We took 1 three the first 10 mins of the game when we scored 1 basket total with 13 mins left in the half.
Then when we made our comeback it was a deluge of 3s to cut it to 3pt game.

Then the second half no more plays to get open 3s. Gavin hit 2 but they were contested. Illinois shot 20 threes hit 9 of them and that’s 15 of the 18 point difference

Reactions: Scangg and cshelley
Three point shooting - which is why I cant understand why we went away from it after halftime. We took 1 three the first 10 mins of the game when we scored 1 basket total with 13 mins left in the half.
Then when we made our comeback it was a deluge of 3s to cut it to 3pt game.

Then the second half no more plays to get open 3s. Gavin hit 2 but they were contested. Illinois shot 20 threes hit 9 of them and that’s 15 of the 18 point difference

I keep hearing about 3 point shooting being good. Richie spoke about it in the offseason. They shoot 28% from three so far this year. They are not good at shooting the three despite how much we have heard that they will be good at it this year. The on court product is not very good.

Look at the way Illinois finished and contrast it with us. What is the use of being fast if you have nobody who could finish

Reactions: RUJMM78
I keep hearing about 3 point shooting being good. Richie spoke about it in the offseason. They shoot 28% from three so far this year. They are not good at shooting the three despite how much we have heard that they will be good at it this year. The on court product is not very good.
I was never buying that. Not fooling me

No idea what this team’s identity is. What do they do well? At times they press well, but then it disappears for chunks of the game. Can’t rebound, can’t defend, can’t shoot, can’t shoot free throws….having a hard time seeing this team winning this year.
That they have a great class coming next year.

Reactions: Goku and Rutgers56
Fans were told that this team would be better shooting than last season.Clearly that isn't the case because there isn't one go to scorer .Talent wise there isn't one player who would start on Illinois.

God awful!
How the hell can we be so bad at getting a basket? Hell, it is uncontested at the foul line!
Now there is absolutely no question why Cliff came back. Looked absolutely lost.

There is one shooter on the team and there are different rules for him. He sits when his defense sucks while other players play when their defense sucks.

Everyone wanted faster play, quicker guards. Look what we have. Under sized weak guards that can’t finish at the rim And can’t shoot the 3 consistently. There’s a reason Noah was at mid manor level Wichita St and UMASS, and why Simpson didn’t have any other power 5 offers.

Reactions: sct1111
The lack of rebounding is astonishingly bad. The sad part is Mulcahy was a great rebounding guard but of course he’s not here……allegedly he wanted to come back according to reports and he was told no more room for him. They could use all the rebounding they can find at this point as the rebounding has been terrible this season.

Reactions: bac2therac
Cliff’s, and Hyatt’s is really bad and Fernandes’ is the worst.
If there was a stat for getting beat for a bucket by their man based on minutes played, Oskar would be #1 on team and Gavin #2 and it wouldn’t be close. If there was a stat for points given up versus points scored, Oskar would lead the country

If there was a stat for getting beat for a bucket by their man based on minutes played, Oskar would be #1 on team and Gavin #2 and it wouldn’t be close. If there was a stat for points given up versus points scored, Oskar would lead the country
I answered you with the understanding that Oscar’s bad defense was a given. My point is that players other than Oskar (who doesn’t play much anyway) and Griffiths also play some bad D. However, Griffiths gives this team one thing that no one else really does..shooting. This team is atrocious offensively..he needs to be on the court. Take him out when he messes up on D, and put him right back in quickly if you need to. It’s ridiculous to consistently have 5 players on the court for long stretches who can’t shoot.

Reactions: bac2therac
I answered you with the understanding that Oscar’s bad defense was a given. My point is that players other than Oskar (who doesn’t play much anyway) and Griffiths also play some bad D. However, Griffiths gives this team one thing that no one else really does..shooting. This team is atrocious offensively..he needs to be on the court. Take him out when he messes up on D, and put him right back in quickly if you need to. It’s ridiculous to consistently have 5 players on the court for long stretches who can’t shoot.
I disagree with your assessments of Noah, cliff and Hyatt’s defense. Don’t think any of them are great but they can actually defend better than average

Neither of them were on the floor when are starters were being destroyed at both the start of the first half and the start of the 2nd half.

Neither of them were on the floor when are starters were being destroyed at both the start of the first half and the start of the 2nd half.
Are you suggesting if they would have been on the floor the results would have been better

Looks like another can't shoot field goals, can't shoot foul shots, kind of year.

Saying that benching our likely best scoring option for defense was the right call when we gave up 76 and scored 58 is quite an argument.

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT